Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JZilla

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Nationals ongoing thread

Rizzo getting started early

Mark Zuckerman‏Verified account @MarkZuckerman 2m2 minutes ago

Nats have acquired reliever Kyle Barraclough from the Marlins for international slot bonus money. Experienced late-inning reliever joins the bullpen.

4 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Rizzo getting started early

Mark Zuckerman‏Verified account @MarkZuckerman 2m2 minutes ago

Nats have acquired reliever Kyle Barraclough from the Marlins for international slot bonus money. Experienced late-inning reliever joins the bullpen.

That’s a pretty good get. 

• Like 3

They need to get Corbin, Keuchal or another middle of rotation lefty. Barraclough is a good addition, they need at least two more relievers. 

Try to ink Rendon longterm, he’s the jelly that shakes the lineup and a safe player to be above average at worst, for five to seven years. 

Consider a vet infielder, probably at 2B. Bring in a 1B platoon, they are a dime a dozen. 

They have a bunch of MIF prospects coming up in the next two to three years, but they do lack organizational pitching debt. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

They need to get Corbin, Keuchal or another middle of rotation lefty. Barraclough is a good addition, they need at least two more relievers. 

Try to ink Rendon longterm, he’s the jelly that shakes the lineup and a safe player to be above average at worst, for five to seven years. 

Consider a vet infielder, probably at 2B. Bring in a 1B platoon, they are a dime a dozen. 

They have a bunch of MIF prospects coming up in the next two to three years, but they do lack organizational pitching debt. 

:goodposting::goodposting::goodposting:

I haven't been this focused on a free agent target for the Nats since Werth in 2010/11.

And you're right about the pitching depth, it's a huge problem. My guess is that the long-term plan was to restock it with a rebuild starting around now, but Soto and Robles have changed that plan.

8 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

That's about what I'm thinking too.  I'm not too excited about the middle infielders available in FA, but they really just need a placeholder until Carter Kieboom is ready (which might be September 2019).

Starting pitching is definitely the big thing.  A lot of swings and misses on draft picks there the past few years.  Hopefully they spend that money coming off the books there.  

Gio Gonzalez starting Game 1 of the NLCS is not something that I foresaw when he was traded. I remember being happy that the Nats were able to get anything for him.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2018 at 8:18 PM, Don Quixote said:

Gio Gonzalez starting Game 1 of the NLCS is not something that I foresaw when he was traded. I remember being happy that the Nats were able to get anything for him.

Watching the way this played out, with Gio going through the order one time and then the Brewers switching to a long-relief RHP to force the platoon-happy Dodgers to either leave Bellinger and Muncy on the bench or burn through their pinch-hitting options in the fourth inning- was discouraging as a Nats fan. I just can't see our organization being that bold or forward-thinking at the moment.  Seems like we used to be at the forefront of innovation but we're being left behind by the movement towards more roster flexibility.

Edited by TobiasFunke

How fast do you guys think the Harper thing will play out?   Not only him signing but the Nats moving forward with other moves instead of waiting for him and Boras.

7 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

How fast do you guys think the Harper thing will play out?   Not only him signing but the Nats moving forward with other moves instead of waiting for him and Boras.

Boras apparently said yesterday Harper already had a deal in place. Since he wasn’t a free agent until today, that deal could only be with the Nats. Or Boras just got himself into a whole lot of trouble negotiating deals for a player who still belonged to the Nats. 

7 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Boras apparently said yesterday Harper already had a deal in place. Since he wasn’t a free agent until today, that deal could only be with the Nats. Or Boras just got himself into a whole lot of trouble negotiating deals for a player who still belonged to the Nats. 

I saw a tweet (maybe from Chelsea Janes) that Boras was just joking on that.

Trevor Rosenthal is an interesting reclamation project although $7M seems steep for a guy who hasn't been effective since 2015.

6 hours ago, Eephus said:

Trevor Rosenthal is an interesting reclamation project although $7M seems steep for a guy who hasn't been effective since 2015.

Yeah, Nats have found some good value with players coming off Tommy John, but I have a hard time believing other teams were willing to pay close that much for him.

On 7/16/2018 at 1:57 PM, Don Quixote said:
On 6/24/2011 at 12:23 PM, Don Quixote said:

If they want to get crazy, maybe Alex Cora as a player-manager, since I think the only reason they have him on the team is to try get him as a manager in the system when he retires.

Just felt like bumping this seven year old post. :sadbanana:

Just felt like bumping this again.

Really amazing what the Nats have been through manager-wise since then, and how they did not find some way to keep him in the organization despite just about everyone seeing him as future MLB manager material.

Edited by Don Quixote

Rosenthal reporting that Nats ownership rejected a deal that Rizzo that agreed to with the Astros for a package that would have included JB Bukauskus, as well as a catcher in Garrett Stubbs. 

I’m not sure why ownership rejected that.

Edited by Don Quixote

Kind of interested to see where the offseason goes from here.  I have to think Harper is off the table (maybe Philly throws the money at him that they were offering Corbin).  I would not mind turning the attention to adding another rotational arm and extending Rendon.

1 hour ago, Don Quixote said:

Kind of interested to see where the offseason goes from here.  I have to think Harper is off the table (maybe Philly throws the money at him that they were offering Corbin).  I would not mind turning the attention to adding another rotational arm and extending Rendon.

I think they'll go with Max, Corbin, Stras, Roark, and Ross in the rotation with Fedde the backup option.  They could use another lefty reliever so they don't have to rely on Solis.  They still need this years version of Matt Adams/Adam Lind too.  

I'm fine with a Kendrick, Difo, Kieboom, Garcia battle at 2B.  If the first two don't work out and the second two aren't ready you can always trade for someone in season.  

29 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

I think they'll go with Max, Corbin, Stras, Roark, and Ross in the rotation with Fedde the backup option.  They could use another lefty reliever so they don't have to rely on Solis.  They still need this years version of Matt Adams/Adam Lind too.  

I'm fine with a Kendrick, Difo, Kieboom, Garcia battle at 2B.  If the first two don't work out and the second two aren't ready you can always trade for someone in season.  

Ross's injury history worries me, as well as Fedde not quite looking up to the part last year.  Trading Rodriguez took another option off the table too.  I don't think much is needed -- maybe it's just a matter of trying to bring back Hellickson, or some similar washout, like a Matt Harvey to add a little more rotational depth there.

ETA: Saw this exchange on Twitter as a possibility.  Happ or MadBum seem pretty good options if they can make the money work.

Edited by Don Quixote

57 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Ross's injury history worries me, as well as Fedde not quite looking up to the part last year.  Trading Rodriguez took another option off the table too.  I don't think much is needed -- maybe it's just a matter of trying to bring back Hellickson, or some similar washout, like a Matt Harvey to add a little more rotational depth there.

ETA: Saw this exchange on Twitter as a possibility.  Happ or MadBum seem pretty good options if they can make the money work.

Looks good to me.   On second thought have Ross in the bullpen and Fedde in the minors as #6 and #7 guys does look a lot better.  

22 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Patrick Corbin joining Max and Straburg.  I like

Not a bad plan.  Go strong on pitching and let Harper walk and stay out of a 10 contract type of deal.

5 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Not a bad plan.  Go strong on pitching and let Harper walk and stay out of a 10 contract type of deal.

10 years for a 26 year old hitter is better than 6 years for a 29 year old pitcher.

2 hours ago, Eephus said:

10 years for a 26 year old hitter is better than 6 years for a 29 year old pitcher.

140 is better than 300 though.

19 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

140 is better than 300 though.

Harper's skill set seems more age resistant than FA busts like Heyward and Carl Crawford but there's always the risk he'll run into a wall or something.