JZilla

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Nationals ongoing thread

5,000 posts in this topic

Also now I kinda see why the Nats were pulling so hard for the Caps.  They would be absorbing unimaginable amounts of #### right now if the Caps hadn't just won the Cup. 

On 6/26/2018 at 3:19 PM, Epic Problem said:

So when does MLBN and the national media start turning the rhetoric to "Do you trade Bryce Harper while you still can"?

Seems to be just about the right time 

Somewhere in this thread I suggested they trade Harper over the winter if he wouldn't sign an extension then.  I get why someone would think that's dumb but if he walks I want more than a compensation draft pick for him.   Doesn't matter the chances they trade him are almost 0.

That said, if three more weeks passes and they are 10 back do you trade Murphy, Gio, Herrera, Madson, or any other guy in his last season and become sellers? They are 10th in the NL in wins now so not like the wildcard is going to be easy either.  Between now and the break they have 11 games against Miami, Pittsburgh and the Mets (Braves have Milwaukee, Toronto and Arizona).  And 3 huge games against Atlanta right after the break.  If they don't make up ground by 7/22 then I'm okay if they become sellers.

We are not even at the all star break yet.  This team is so talented that I would find it unfathomable that they’re sellers.  

2 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

We are not even at the all star break yet.  This team is so talented that I would find it unfathomable that they’re sellers.  

They won’t be sellers. Turner and Harper are due to rebound, Murphy and Eaton are finding their legs (literally), and Strasburg will be back soon. They just can’t hit sans Rendon and Soto, but it’s hard to think that continues. 

They will probably trade for a starter since Roark looks like the guy he always should have been, and Fedde just isn’t very good. They should be fine but I thought they’d break through by now and they look dreadful. 

2 people like this

Well, looks like the players only meeting worked :wall:

1 hour ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Of course it worked.  :lmao:

2 people like this

Yeah that was something, hopefully this kick starts a run into the ASB 

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

:lol:

It was the Marlins, the worst team in the NL.

You guys are worse than F.P. sometimes.

Edited by trident

I'm back in. If they go 7-3 over their final ten before the ASB (Marlins, @PIT, @NYM) it gets them to 50-46 and hopefully within 5ish games of first place. Come out of the break with three straight home games vs Atlanta with Scherzer, Stras and whichever replacement level guy they decide is their third best starter. Definitely doable, but no time left to futz around.

1 hour ago, TobiasFunke said:

I'm back in. If they go 7-3 over their final ten before the ASB (Marlins, @PIT, @NYM) it gets them to 50-46 and hopefully within 5ish games of first place. Come out of the break with three straight home games vs Atlanta with Scherzer, Stras and whichever replacement level guy they decide is their third best starter. Definitely doable, but no time left to futz around.

The Nats have 28 games left against the Mets and Marlins while the Braves have only 19.  The Nats have nothing to worry about.

1 hour ago, trident said:

The Nats have 28 games left against the Mets and Marlins while the Braves have only 19.  The Nats have nothing to worry about.

Pretty sure it's not that easy.

Victor Robles played today and Koda Glover also pitched an inning for Gulf Coast.   Wieters is playing 7 innings tonight, Strasburg is going to get 50-60 pitches on Tuesday in a rehab start, and sounds like Zimmerman could go on a rehab assignment next week.

3 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Victor Robles played today and Koda Glover also pitched an inning for Gulf Coast.   Wieters is playing 7 innings tonight, Strasburg is going to get 50-60 pitches on Tuesday in a rehab start, and sounds like Zimmerman could go on a rehab assignment next week.

They don't need Zimmerman.  They are better off with Matt Adams at first.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, trident said:

They don't need Zimmerman.  They are better off with Matt Adams at first.

Don't disagree.  An Adams/Reynolds platoon has been solid.  Reynolds is 5-5 2 HR and 10 RBI tonight.  Crazy

7 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Don't disagree.  An Adams/Reynolds platoon has been solid.  Reynolds is 5-5 2 HR and 10 RBI tonight.  Crazy

That last "hit" was a gift.  I think that should have been an error.

But before yesterday Reynolds was hitting .164 since June 1 and an OPS of .491 and striking out like he always does.  I would rather have Adams there FT.

No Rendon, Turner, or Soto on All Star Team.  Turner is in the final five fan vote.

24 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

No Rendon, Turner, or Soto on All Star Team.  Turner is in the final five fan vote.

It seems hard to put any of them on the roster. Even with the Nats favoritism, I’d lean to Aguilar over Turner for the final spot.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Don Quixote said:

It seems hard to put any of them on the roster. Even with the Nats favoritism, I’d lean to Aguilar over Turner for the final spot.

Agreed on Aguilar.  I thought Turner should be in over Story.  I think Rendon was snubbed last year but can't argue Arenado or Suarez.   Soto was just wishful thinking.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Turner doesn't deserve it.  His numbers aren't that good.  .257 in May and .267 in June.  Only seven RBI in June?  Everyone talks about speed, but he only has 10 stolen bases since May.  He shouldn't even be in the last five player vote.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:14 PM, trident said:

Turner doesn't deserve it.  His numbers aren't that good.  .257 in May and .267 in June.  Only seven RBI in June?  Everyone talks about speed, but he only has 10 stolen bases since May.  He shouldn't even be in the last five player vote.

Game is in Washington though, I don't mind them tossing a bone to the home team fans.

On 7/8/2018 at 8:31 PM, Don Quixote said:

Turner has a higher fWAR and bWAR than Aguilar.  Being a plus defensive shortstop is helpful.

Anyway, anyone going to the festivities next week? I'll be at the HR Derby on Monday, also hoping to get to the Fanfest with the kids. Less buzz around town than I expected, although its early and also the Nats pooping the bed this season puts a damper on things.

PSA- if you're watching on Facebook Live and want to remove the comments and smileys and whatnot hold the cursor on the lower portion of the broadcast and some icons will pop up, including "turn quiet mode on."  On a phone you can just swipe right to get rid of the comments.

I have no quick fixes for the Nationals hitting a string of popups and lazy fly balls after getting the leadoff runner on base every inning for the last three weeks.

2 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

Turner has a higher fWAR and bWAR than Aguilar.  Being a plus defensive shortstop is helpful.

Anyway, anyone going to the festivities next week? I'll be at the HR Derby on Monday, also hoping to get to the Fanfest with the kids. Less buzz around town than I expected, although its early and also the Nats pooping the bed this season puts a damper on things.

First, there is more to baseball than fWAR and bWAR.  Turner doesn't belong.

As for Fanfast, it is too damn expensive.

:lmao: 

6 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

I think Turner has about 100 at bats more than Aguilar. Hard to deny Aguilar’s production as he’s leading the NL in OPS. I obviously would not go as far as posty in calling Trea undeserving, but Aguilar does seem the bigger snub to me.

...I looked at tickets, but everything was about 3-5 times more expensive than my price point.

36 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I think Turner has about 100 at bats more than Aguilar. Hard to deny Aguilar’s production as he’s leading the NL in OPS. I obviously would not go as far as posty in calling Trea undeserving, but Aguilar does seem the bigger snub to me.

...I looked at tickets, but everything was about 3-5 times more expensive than my price point.

Brett Kavanaugh was bold enough to go into substantial debt for his Nats tickets and now he’s gonna be a Supreme Court Justice so :shrug:

2 people like this

The Nationals began the season 32-22 with a team ERA of 3.25. In going 16-26 since, their team ERA has been 4.67.

Posted (edited)

On 6/24/2011 at 0:23 PM, Don Quixote said:

If they want to get crazy, maybe Alex Cora as a player-manager, since I think the only reason they have him on the team is to try get him as a manager in the system when he retires.

Just felt like bumping this seven year old post. :sadbanana:

Edited by Don Quixote
2 people like this

HOT TAKE ALERT: 

Last night was amazing but it's probably not as cool without the Caps. Without them we all would have had the whole "other cities win championships, we get the HR Derby and Slam Dunk Contest and Winter Classic" thing banging around in the back of our minds.

Maybe it's just me but sports are different now.

Should the Nats trade Robles for Realmuto in the next two weeks?   Or should Robles still by considered untouchable with Soto and figure out the Harper, Eaton, Taylor logjam this winter?

5 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Should the Nats trade Robles for Realmuto in the next two weeks?  

What about Wilson Ramos? 

1 hour ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

What about Wilson Ramos? 

He’s gonna be on the DL for awhile. 

45 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

He’s gonna be on the DL for awhile. 

I was trying to be snarky. They did not want to pay a minimum for him to rehab, and instead paid up for the cooked Wieters, and it is costing them big time. 

And now Stras and Max jawing. After being a somewhat hot name for 3-4 years, it’s hard to believe how unprepared to deal with this kind of crap Dave Martinez is appearing to be. 

11 hours ago, Epic Problem said:

And now Stras and Max jawing. After being a somewhat hot name for 3-4 years, it’s hard to believe how unprepared to deal with this kind of crap Dave Martinez is appearing to be. 

Looks like the Nats window is closing.   Bad manager hires by Rizzo has hurt as well. That is why you go for it when you get the chance.

Brian Goodwin traded to KC for an A ball pitcher that throws hard and has good numbers.  

Also, Doolittle looks to be out for a few more weeks now.  That's not good.

Turner benched for not running out a weird bunt play.  Harper dogs it once a week and it’s cool.  

36 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Turner benched for not running out a weird bunt play.  Harper dogs it once a week and it’s cool.  

Speaking of Harper, he got scratched tonight.  Hopefully nothing serious.

7 back in division.  6 back with six teams to catch in wildcard.  This team going nowhere fast.   

If they go 2-3 or worse between now and Sunday they need to sell on Monday and Tuesday.  Harper would fetch a ton.  Herrera could probably get a good prospect.  Murphy, gio, and Madson could too.  

1 person likes this