Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JZilla

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Nationals ongoing thread

Pretty sad to see Rendon go, but that's business, I guess.  At least they were able to keep one of him and Stras.  I'd feel a bit better if there was someone in the minors who looked promising at 3B, but, oof.  Bryant would be interesting, but comes down to what it would take.  I suppose they have the money to go after Donaldson for a short-term fix. It will be interesting to see what direction they go there because I have no idea.  At least with Harper, we knew that Nats had the OF depth that, while a loss, not an insurmountable loss.

Starlin Castro to the Nats.  2 years 12 million.  People are saying we aren't out of the Donaldson bidding which would mean Kieboom is headed back to the minors, or maybe traded for a 3B.  

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Starlin Castro to the Nats.  2 years 12 million.  People are saying we aren't out of the Donaldson bidding which would mean Kieboom is headed back to the minors, or maybe traded for a 3B.  

Yeah, I could see him as a trade bait, as was discussed in the FFA thread too, as they seem to have a glut of players there now.  With Asdrubal back in the mix, it seems like they are accumulating 30+ year olds with IF positional flexibility (Kendrick, Castro, and Cabrera). The Nats #2 prospect, Luis Garcia, is another player who is thought of as a future middle IF, but he’s more on the 2022 ETA timeline (and is viewed as having more SS than Kieboom, so he may be the Trea Turner FA protection).

It is a interesting what they are doing.  If Donaldson goes elsewhere, maybe they think have enough Plan B options at 3B between Cabrera, Castro, and maybe Kieboom (although none are great defensive options there), fill out the infield with players like Zim and Thames, and use the extra cash elsewhere — maybe find a 5th pitcher that has been eluding them.

Edited by Don Quixote

Dave Martinez saying Carter Kieboom is the plan at 3B.  Link

I'm a bit surprised by that, as he had four errors in 10 games at 3B in AAA last year.  And they already seemed to destroy his confidence a bit at SS last year already.  I thought more likely was Castro/Cabrera at 3B and Kieboom at 2B (not that Castro at 3B would be a world-beater either). Maybe they think he can get good there with a lot of reps in the spring, but I'm a bit worried about that.

Edited by Don Quixote

The Cubs seem obsessed with trading Kris Bryant, and with the grievance issue settled, Washington has again popped up as a potential landing spot.

Theo wants Robles/Kieboom and a prospect. Washington is resisting any overtures for Robles, and I read something that said they think Robles might become a better all-around player than Soto. He will never hit like Soto, but his off-the-charts elite defense more than balances out. 

I had always thought of Robles as a very good player, but Soto as a generational talent. I was surprised to see Washington management value Robles so highly. 

On 1/17/2020 at 6:55 PM, Don Quixote said:

Dave Martinez saying Carter Kieboom is the plan at 3B.  Link

I'm a bit surprised by that, as he had four errors in 10 games at 3B in AAA last year.  And they already seemed to destroy his confidence a bit at SS last year already.  I thought more likely was Castro/Cabrera at 3B and Kieboom at 2B (not that Castro at 3B would be a world-beater either). Maybe they think he can get good there with a lot of reps in the spring, but I'm a bit worried about that.

Seems to be starting off in the spring playing defense like he did last year. Not good.