JZilla

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Nationals postseason 2016 - Third time's a charm

4,406 posts in this topic

Keep watching MASN since we get 2/3 of the profit.

:lmao::lmao: glad to hear you got your cut.

Keep watching MASN since we get 2/3 of the profit.

:goodposting::lmao: glad to hear you got your cut.
:lmao::lmao:

:thumbup: Da Meat Hook

He's a fan favorite

But yeah pretty dumb move, the DH position was invented for that guy

Nick Johnson is a woman

Baltimore 46-53 .465 Washington 42-57 .424 I still don't get the subtitle of this thread. Keep watching MASN since we get 2/3 of the profit.

Changed just for you, bitterman. It was just a joke, after the manager mess. Enjoy another decade of Angeloses. Edited by JZilla

Baltimore 46-53 .465 Washington 42-57 .424 I still don't get the subtitle of this thread. Keep watching MASN since we get 2/3 of the profit.

Changed just for you, bitterman. It was just a joke, after the manager mess. Enjoy another decade of Angeloses.
:rolleyes:
1 person likes this

Good job by the Nats to sign their top 20 draft picks, including three players they ranked in the top 15 overall (all lefty pitchers).

Hopefully we'll see Detweiller at RFK in September.

Last night was the second time this season I've seen Nook Logan steal second on a pick off play.

It's Labor Day and the Nationals are in sole possession of 4th place in the NL East. Who saw that coming back in March?

Another nice home win streak. I fear for this upcoming road trip though.

We want Detwiler! We want Detwiler! We want Detwiler! We want Detwiler! We want Detwiler!

As a fan of a loser team, you gotta love this week... the only way it could have lined up better is if these games were at home.. let's keep making it interesting Nats.

Well, 73-89. Better than expected, so we got that going for us.

Conventional wisdom is they will spend this year in FA for the opening of the new park. They won't go crazy, but they should be out there trying to grab a big piece or two. Of course, they need starting pitching and another big bat.

As of now, they are looking at a possible batting order of:

CF Logan

SS Guzman

3B Zimmerman

LF Pena

1B Young/Johnson

RF Kearns

2B Lopez

C Schneider/Flores

P ???

Who's available that they have a shot at in FA? Who in that lineup really needs to be replaced?

Edited by dgreen

And 64-64 since the middle of May, if Bowell's figures in yesterday's column are to be believed.Manny Acta should be Manager of the Year in th NL. He won't be, but he should....

And 64-64 since the middle of May, if Bowell's figures in yesterday's column are to be believed.Manny Acta should be Manager of the Year in th NL. He won't be, but he should....
Why do you say that?I personally think it should be Clint Hurdle or Bob Melvin. Honestly look at Arizona. Take away Randy Johnson's $9M salary (since he only made 10 starts all season) and the Diamondbacks have a 43M payroll. The Nats had a 37M payroll.

Acta did a good job of getting that undermanned team to play hard everyday. No doubt. Lots of good candidates for manager of the year though. He gets an honorable mention. Maybe next year if they make a run.

Why do you say that?I personally think it should be Clint Hurdle or Bob Melvin. Honestly look at Arizona. Take away Randy Johnson's $9M salary (since he only made 10 starts all season) and the Diamondbacks have a 43M payroll. The Nats had a 37M payroll.
Acta took a team that everyone thought would lose 120 games this season, had no proven starting pitching, its best "power hitter" (Nick Johnson) out for the year with a badly broken leg, that then lost its starting SS, its "best" pitcher (John Patterson) to injuries and got them to play hard and respectably all season long.He juggled 13 different starting pitchers over the course of the season, a line-up that barely hit 100 HRs in a non-HR friendly ball park and an inconsistent closer. They essentially added no one during the season except what was down on the farm and a few waiver PUs.I agree, Melvin and Hurdle did nice jobs, but Acta should be Manager of the Year, IMHomerOpinion.

A couple moves the last couple days, bringing in Milledge and Dukes.

According to Barry Svrluga of the WaPo:

And the outfield that has been suggested to me by those who would know is Milledge in left, Dukes in center - though he has played more right in the Dominican - and Kearns in right. That leaves Wily Mo Pena on the bench - for now.

Jim Bowden addressed the apparent surplus of outfielders thusly: "I think right now we look at it like we've got four really good young outfielders. ... I think we feel the players will help Manny make his decision on who is going to play. Certainly my experience has been that four outfielders ... all get playing time. Those decisions will be made in spring training, will be made on the baseball field."

He added: "With four young outfielders, if three succeed we're in good shape. If one gets hurt, we're in good shape. ... We feel comfortable with four good young outfielders that are developing."

Some good moves. The Nationals are getting a reputation as a place for second chances that actually succeed. I think Dukes may be a bit more of a problem child than Young or Guillen but Milledge fits nicely in that effort. It was hard watching Church and Schneider struggle at the plate. I wish they could get Livan back to eat innings. Or better yet, few Livan types to allow the young pitchers a bit more time to develop.

Yeah I was surprised but definitely not sad to see old Double-Play Schneider hit the bricks.

They marketed that guy like he was Johnny f'n Bench

:lmao:

No weekday day games this season. The Nats said they are concerned about parking during a workday and want to give fans a year to get used to the stadium and traffic and streets. I really think Metro is going to be the main mode of transportation, though, even at night and on weekends.

I was all ready to hop 5 stops on the Metro from my job to some day games, but I guess I'll have to wait until '09.

Is this our thread for 2008, too, or should we start another one for our back-to-back run at 0.450?

Is this our thread for 2008, too, or should we start another one for our back-to-back run at 0.450?

Well, it's just me & you... either way GB

Going to my first game at the new Nats park against the Mess next month. Looking forward to seeing the new digs.

Today in an interview Manny Acta said it's nice to not have "things running around on the floor" when he was asked about his office. I'm assuming he meant cockroaches at RFK but he could have meant midgets. :goodposting:

Going to my first game at the new Nats park against the Mess next month. Looking forward to seeing the new digs. Today in an interview Manny Acta said it's nice to not have "things running around on the floor" when he was asked about his office. I'm assuming he meant cockroaches at RFK but he could have meant midgets. :wolf:

He could also be referring to rats. RFK was infested with rats. Big ones.

Going to my first game at the new Nats park against the Mess next month. Looking forward to seeing the new digs. Today in an interview Manny Acta said it's nice to not have "things running around on the floor" when he was asked about his office. I'm assuming he meant cockroaches at RFK but he could have meant midgets. :wolf:

He could also be referring to rats. RFK was infested with rats. Big ones.
Ah, that would explain it.

Opening Day Roster

Lannan, Langerhans out; Estrada on DL; roster at 25

The Nationals made the following moves to set their regular-season roster:

C Johnny Estrada goes on the 15-day disabled list with right elbow tendinitis. The move is retroactive to March 21.

OF Ryan Langerhans was outrighted to Class AAA Columbus. He cleared waivers, and will roam the outfield there.

LHP John Lannan was optioned to Class AAA Columbus, but Manny Acta said he could be back soon depending on Shawn Hill's status.

INF Pete Orr was reassigned to Class AAA Columbus despite a very fine spring in which he hit .389.

RHP Chris Schroder was optioned to Class AAA Columbus.

So that leaves:

Catcher:

Jesus Flores

Paul Lo Duca

Infield:

Ronnie Belliard

Aaron Boone

Cristian Guzman

Nick Johnson

Felipe Lopez

Dmitri Young

Ryan Zimmerman

Outfield:

Elijah Dukes

Willie Harris

Austin Kearns

Rob Mackowiak

Lastings Milledge

Rotation:

Jason Bergmann

Matt Chico

Odalis Perez

Tim Redding

Bullpen:

Luis Ayala

Jesus Colome

Chad Cordero

Joel Hanrahan

Ray King

Jon Rauch

Saul Rivera

DL:

Johnny Estrada

Shawn Hill

Wily Mo Pena

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2008 Washington Nationals.

(Langerhans, Garrett Mock, Wil Nieves, Orr, Schroder and Mike O'Connor will all travel north with the team and be on hand as extras for Saturday night's exhibition at Nationals Park against the Orioles.)

is that rotation for real?

They can't decide whether to name their last starter or just forfeit every fifth game

They can't decide whether to name their last starter or just forfeit every fifth game
:thumbup: Wonder if Detwiler will see any action with the big club this year. :confused:

No worse than last year5th starter will be Lannan I think.. he was sent down but he might be back real soon.. who the hell else are they gonna out out there? Me?Fugly.

No worse than last year5th starter will be Lannan I think.. he was sent down but he might be back real soon.. who the hell else are they gonna out out there? Me?Fugly.
I'll continue to say it - I like Bergmann this year, I think he'll surprise. If Hill comes back healthy they should have a solid top 2, but after that it looks pretty bad.

I'll continue to say it - I like Bergmann this year, I think he'll surprise. If Hill comes back healthy they should have a solid top 2, but after that it looks pretty bad.
I like Bergmann but.... I don't like him as the Ace :goodposting:

And now the great Dmitri Young/Nick Johnson battle begins. If only they'd had the foresight to trade Dmitri instead of signing him to a big extension. Shame.

Idiots.

Anyone going to opening night? Just got my tickets today.

Hey Nats insiders... I am in a H2H league and one of our pitching categories is holds; most owners in our league are ignoring Nats players and the holds category. I am considering picking up Rauch. How does he look, and how many innings do you think he'll get?