What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Did I find the Madden '08 cover pic? (1 Viewer)

M

Marc Faletti

This is anything but hard science, but I think I may have figured out who's on the cover of Madden '08.

First let's look at the image used in the Hester article on ESPN:

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/videogames..._inline_240.gif

Now, this may not even be the cover, who knows. But if they were gonna show us a silhouette of a player who wasn't actually on the cover for '08, wouldn't they have just silhouetted the old Alexander pic from last year? I figure it's faster just to blank out the guy on the real '08 box than insert a guy who won't be on there, and they probably love the intrigue that showing the silhouette of the actual guy creates. Maybe they just want to "throw us off," or maybe they haven't deccided yet, but something tells me that's the silhouette of the actual cover. If you aren't so sure, that's cool, feel free to bail on this post now.

The first thing to note is the way the guy holds the ball, with his left arm slanted, fingers pointing up, forearm fairly parrallel to his right forearm. That's a fairly unique stance, particularly with the fingers pointed up and at that angle. Most QBs do (and probably should) protect the ball with both hands here.

The second thing to note is that big bump on the silhouette's right hip, right below the "D"s in "MADDEN." What the heck is that?

Turns out it's much easier to see all of this when it isn't silhouetted:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...6/0906vince.jpg

This probably isn't the exact photo -- Vince Young's head isn't cocked at quite the same angle. But note the hand posture, right down to the point where his fingers jut straight up and are just above his shoulder at almost the exact same place as the photo.

Then, notice the towel bump on his right hip. That's the cincher, especially combined with the arm positioning. That towel right on the right hip, often balled up, shows up in many photos of VY, but I couldn't find a single Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer photo with one (not to mention a photo of either guy holding the ball that way).

Maybe the silhouette isn't the Madden cover, but I think that silhouette is Vince Young because of its two unique qualities. I can't find a QB who'd belong on the cover showing one, much less both in the same pic. And if the silhouette is the cover, then I think I'm the first to break the news.

Given how much I believe in Vince Young, this is one of the greater disappointments of my life. :bag:

This is anything but hard science, but I think I may have figured out who's on the cover of Madden '08.

First let's look at the image used in the Hester article on ESPN:

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/videogames..._inline_240.gif

Now, this may not even be the cover, who knows. But if they were gonna show us a silhouette of a player who wasn't actually on the cover for '08, wouldn't they have just silhouetted the old Alexander pic from last year? I figure it's faster just to blank out the guy on the real '08 box than insert a guy who won't be on there, and they probably love the intrigue that showing the silhouette of the actual guy creates. Maybe they just want to "throw us off," or maybe they haven't deccided yet, but something tells me that's the silhouette of the actual cover. If you aren't so sure, that's cool, feel free to bail on this post now.

The first thing to note is the way the guy holds the ball, with his left arm slanted, fingers pointing up, forearm fairly parrallel to his right forearm. That's a fairly unique stance, particularly with the fingers pointed up and at that angle. Most QBs do (and probably should) protect the ball with both hands here.

The second thing to note is that big bump on the silhouette's right hip, right below the "D"s in "MADDEN." What the heck is that?

Turns out it's much easier to see all of this when it isn't silhouetted:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...6/0906vince.jpg

This probably isn't the exact photo -- Vince Young's head isn't cocked at quite the same angle. But note the hand posture, right down to the point where his fingers jut straight up and are just above his shoulder at almost the exact same place as the photo.

Then, notice the towel bump on his right hip. That's the cincher, especially combined with the arm positioning. That towel right on the right hip, often balled up, shows up in many photos of VY, but I couldn't find a single Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer photo with one (not to mention a photo of either guy holding the ball that way).

Maybe the silhouette isn't the Madden cover, but I think that silhouette is Vince Young because of its two unique qualities. I can't find a QB who'd belong on the cover showing one, much less both in the same pic. And if the silhouette is the cover, then I think I'm the first to break the news.

Given how much I believe in Vince Young, this is one of the greater disappointments of my life. :bag:
:nerd:

*gulp*Ive never believed in the madden curse, but I have to say I'm a little :scared:
Well, and Vince managed to overcome the Mack Brown curse, as well as the SI cover jinx a cfew times, but this is asking him to overcome the greatest curse of the last ten years. And it's not even a one-year jinx; no player has ever been the same after it.

If I had Vince Young on any dynasty teams I would rade him right now before word gets out.

Superstitious or not, the Madden curse still lives. :bag:

Eddie George, 2000 - he played the full 16 games and had arguably the best season of his career.

maybe it's a curse for all non-titans !!!

i'm going to be nervous all season if they actually put him on it....if he goes down, then we are definitly screwed.....all we have is Kerry Collins!

At first i was going to argue that if they were to silhouette someone it would just be something generic and not of the guy who was going to be on the cover.

But your analysis makes sense.

I resisted the urge to create a thread of "Who do you think will be the coverboy?"... but I have got an excellent feeling it'll be Reggie Bush, Drew Brees, or Young.

Now I would bet:

50% chance it'll be Vince Young

25% Reggie Bush

15% Drew Brees

10% Someone else

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Last edited by a moderator:
....Odd this could be the 4th black QB they've used since '03 :unsure:

Culpepper '03

Vick '05

McNabb '06

Young '08?

Yeah man, I was kinda hoping Reggie Bush or Peyton Manning. LT certainly deserves recognition. Unfortunately, none of those guys really deserves a curse.

On that note, maybe it'll be a Pac-Man/Chris Henry double dip on orders from Goodell.

A friend of mine named Rob came up with the greatest Madden idea of all: what if you could order a custom copy of Madden 08 with any player you wanted on it?

They could charge a fat premium for it and I think a LOT of people would play NFL voodoo doll, coughing up money to bring down Manning or Brady or TO or whomever, don't you?

The shadow is definitly Pennington but the shadow cover probably has nothing to do with the end product I think you guys are just digging here.

I've heard a rumor, that it may not be a player many would expect.........the guy I heard it was, fits the description of the thread starters views on the silhouette.....that could be a hand-warmer and not a towel, either way, here he is

cover_inline_240.gif

46155_main_large.jpg
Facemask isn't a match...

A friend of mine named Rob came up with the greatest Madden idea of all: what if you could order a custom copy of Madden 08 with any player you wanted on it? They could charge a fat premium for it and I think a LOT of people would play NFL voodoo doll, coughing up money to bring down Manning or Brady or TO or whomever, don't you?
:goodposting: But how long would it take to get your game? If everyone did this you would have to preorder at least 6 months early to get the game before Christmas.

Definitly won't be LT

You have to think they asked him before (last year I'd bet), but he would've turned it down.

Peyton Manning on the other hand... He's in an insane amount of commercials, but he has probly also been asked to be on the cover before. (They've had too many QBs on the cover the past few years for them not to have asked him)

Brian Urlacher is another that seemingly would be a good marketing opportunity for EA, but when they put Ray Lewis on the cover in '04, you have to think they asked him first.

I'm sure at this point (6 straight cursed covers), plently of players would turn down the offer....

Brady I'm sure has.

Of QBs that leaves the most likely candidates as Palmer, Brees, Leinart, and Young. (VY being EA's first choice based on their history)

Of RBs that leaves Bush, LJ, SJax, Gore as the most likely candidates (Bush being perhaps the most likely to say yes since he was the coverboy on NCAA '07)

Of WRs we've got a few choices: Fitzgerald, CJohnson, SSmith, etc. (Fitzy was on NCAA '05 IIRC, but EA has not historically gone with a WR)

On D, the only guys I could see EA seriously considering would be Peppers, Urlacher and Reed.

Anyone remember when they put out the official odds of who it was going to be??? (Had to have been sometime in April last year)

People who work at game stores are sure that the player on the cover is Chad Johnson because of the preorder copies they have.

People who work at game stores are sure that the player on the cover is Chad Johnson because of the preorder copies they have.
And everyone around here thinks it's Bush because he's on all the covers in game stores around here. It's a regional marketing ploy, not the actual player that's on the cover. Just like Chris Leak was on a lot of NCAA 2008 covers in stores and it's going to be the QB from Boise State on the actual cover.

A friend of mine named Rob came up with the greatest Madden idea of all: what if you could order a custom copy of Madden 08 with any player you wanted on it? They could charge a fat premium for it and I think a LOT of people would play NFL voodoo doll, coughing up money to bring down Manning or Brady or TO or whomever, don't you?
Wouldn't EA have to pay everyone they put on the cover then?

Not sure. I know you can make your own cover for NCAA 2008 on the EA website.

Definitly won't be LT

You have to think they asked him before (last year I'd bet), but he would've turned it down.

Peyton Manning on the other hand... He's in an insane amount of commercials, but he has probly also been asked to be on the cover before. (They've had too many QBs on the cover the past few years for them not to have asked him)

Brian Urlacher is another that seemingly would be a good marketing opportunity for EA, but when they put Ray Lewis on the cover in '04, you have to think they asked him first.

I'm sure at this point (6 straight cursed covers), plently of players would turn down the offer....

Brady I'm sure has.

Of QBs that leaves the most likely candidates as Palmer, Brees, Leinart, and Young. (VY being EA's first choice based on their history)

Of RBs that leaves Bush, LJ, SJax, Gore as the most likely candidates (Bush being perhaps the most likely to say yes since he was the coverboy on NCAA '07)

Of WRs we've got a few choices: Fitzgerald, CJohnson, SSmith, etc. (Fitzy was on NCAA '05 IIRC, but EA has not historically gone with a WR)

On D, the only guys I could see EA seriously considering would be Peppers, Urlacher and Reed.

Anyone remember when they put out the official odds of who it was going to be??? (Had to have been sometime in April last year)
Madden 2007 Cover DiscussionOdds were available in January last year from Wagerweb - can't find them there now.

Young to grace cover of Madden '08

By Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com

April 16, 2007

Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young will be on the cover of the EA Sports Madden 2008 video game.

A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed Young’s gracing the cover of the game to The City Paper. Efforts to reach EA Sports were unsuccessful on Monday.

An official announcement is expected on Tuesday and Young will appear on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" as part of the kickoff promotion for the newest version the popular NFL video game.

Of course, appearing on the cover of the game has produced a “jinx” of sorts in recent seasons.

Several players, including former Titan Eddie George, have graced the cover, then succumbed to injury or ineffectiveness in the season they were on the game’s front.

George was on the cover during the 2001 season, the year he suffered through a toe injury. In 2000, George had rushed for a career-high 1,509 yards. Because of the injury, George managed just 939 yards in 2001 as the Titans slumped from 13-3 to 7-9.

Other prominent players to fall victim to the Madden Curse include quarterbacks Donovan McNabb and Daunte Culpepper and last year’s cover man Shaun Alexander.

Young apparently will also appear in commercial spots for the game that will be aired during coverage of the NFL Draft.
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=55690

Announcer Dude:

"Welcome to another year of Tennessee Titans football. This promises to be an exciting season.

After the kickoff the Titans have the ball at their 20. Here comes the first play from scrimmage of the new year. The ball is snapped, Young goes back to pass, and... OUCH! WHAT A SACK! Poor Vince never had a chance!

Uh oh, looks like he's not getting up. :hot: Oh no, look at that, you can see the compound leg fracture from here..."

Last edited by a moderator:
They've already licensed the right to use NFL players likeness in the game. I suppose it would depend on the details of the contract as to whether they have to pay the cover person extra or whether it's covered in it.

That looks like VY to me, but I'm too lazy to search any other QB pics to compare.

Vince it is.

Users who are viewing this thread