What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2007 Red Sox vs Yankees Season Series Thread (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
FRIDAY : Schilling vs Pettitte - ESPN

SATURDAY : Beckett vs Karstens - FOX

SUNDAY : Matsuzaka vs C Wright - ESPN

Yanks, decimated by injuries to their starting pitchers, are coming off an emotional high after an improbable 9th inning, 2 out comeback punctuated by yet another Arod walk off blast.

Sox are leading the division thanks to dominant starting pitching and ridiculous closing by Papelbon. The bats, previously dormant, are just now stating to wake.

We're in for a great weekend :thumbdown:

----

After five consecutive 19-game seasonal series, the teams are booked for only 18 for the first time since 2001, the first installment of the current unbalanced schedule.

Going back to the start of the 2002 season, and including two seminal showdowns in the AL Championship Series, the Yankees hold a narrow 56-53 edge.

SOMETHING'S GOT TO GIVE

• Boston has an ongoing streak of nine consecutive games of allowing three runs or fewer, its best such run in two decades.

• The Bombers score at a league leading pace of 6.5 runs per game.

Final Note:

New York has committed a Major League leading 15 errors, which have contributed to 10 unearned runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite the Sox having all the advantage in the starting pitching matchups, I think the Yanks have a good chance to pull out a series victory. Their pitching has held up very well over the last 2 weeks.

I'm really looking forward to this one . . .

Can't wait to see how the Yankees attempt to handle DiceK.

I'm looking forward to seeing Dice-K match up against this lineup. We can learn a lot more about him this weekend, one way or the other.

Despite the Sox having all the advantage in the starting pitching matchups, I think the Yanks have a good chance to pull out a series victory. Their pitching has held up very well over the last 2 weeks.
This series could definitely go either way. Yanks can't count on a 6 run 9th against Papelbon though :goodposting:Papelbon has faced the YAnkees 3 times:2.2 IP - 1H - 0BB - 0R - 5K The hit was in his one appearance in Yankee stadium

Since one team has no pitching and one no hitting, this should be an interesting series. Yankees should just walk Big Papi everytime and the Red Sox will get two runs all weekend.

Two best teams in the AL meet in Detroit next weekend. Might want to see that series if you really like good baseball. :goodposting:

' date='Apr 20 2007, 10:07 AM' post='6642289']

Since one team has no pitching and one no hitting, this should be an interesting series.
:confused: Yanks are 4th in the AL with a 3.67 ERA and have a 2.75 ERA in their last 9 games.
:banned: Methinks Doctor Detroit is going off some old data
:lmao: Better win this series. Only one of these two teams will be getting eliminated in October.

Ill say Yanks take tomorrows game. I think theyll knock around Beckett and I also think Karstens will pitch a great game. Ive said it before, hes a good young pitcher. DiceK is a great pitcher and will shut down the Yanks on Sunday and Chase Wright will get knocked around a bit so Sox take that one. So the swing game is tonight in a great pitching matchup. Pettitte is 13-5 against the Sox in his career.

I'm really looking forward to this one . . .SUNDAY : Matsuzaka vs C Wright - ESPNCan't wait to see how the Yankees attempt to handle DiceK.
Probably the same way the way other teams have handled him to contribute to his 1-2 record.
You mean by posting a whopping 5 runs over 13 innings (2.60 ERA) while striking out 14 times (9.63 K/9) ? Yeah.. I'll take that sort of performance. :tinfoilhat:Come on COlin... you can do better than that. At least sound like you know whwat you're talking about when you throw smack down. There are plenty of chinks in the Sox armor... no need to try to pretend Matsuzaka has pitched poorly in his losses :lmao:

DrD I'm glad to see you're hitting the Limoncello at little early today!

It should, as always, be a great series. This is what baseball is all about.

The vets gets us started tonight. Andy vs Schilling

Tomorrows game will be of the 9-8 variety.

Sunday will be a very interesting game.

Let's get it on!!! :bye:

Probably the same way the way other teams have handled him to contribute to his 1-2 record.
You're getting to the Chase-Stuart-Patriot-vitriol level - do you really want to get to the point where everyone knows you're a one-trick poney and a broken record and cannot speak about the AL East with an ounce of credibility?If so, keep it up.
I have no desire to speak about the AL East with an ounce of credibility. I'm too busy watching the Astros win.
' date='Apr 20 2007, 02:16 PM' post='6642350']

You mean by posting a whopping 5 runs over 13 innings (2.60 ERA) while striking out 14 times (9.63 K/9) ? Yeah.. I'll take that sort of performance. :bye:

Come on COlin... you can do better than that. At least sound like you know whwat you're talking about when you throw smack down. There are plenty of chinks in the Sox armor... no need to try to pretend Matsuzaka has pitched poorly in his losses :(
No I can't. Not until I get some more :bye: down. I'll check back later.

So your saying Chase Wright is as good as King Felix? :X
:bye: Seriously, Matsuzaka is pitching really well. About what I expected. i think things are going to get interesting once teams have seen him a few times. I don't think he has demonstrated the same shut-down stuff that a guy like Santana or Oswalt has, but its an admittedly small sample to look at. Perhaps his strongest attribute is he keeps the ball down, which seems to be something many pitchers forget to do. He reminds me right now of Brandon Webb, which is not a bad spot to be in. That probably makes sense to no one else, but it does to me. Lots of movement on the ball, keeps it down, relies on a lot of north/south breaking instead of east/west.

I expect the Yankees to win tonight, tomorrow's a toss-up, Sunday should be the Red Sox winning.

DrD I'm glad to see you're hitting the Limoncello at little early today!It should, as always, be a great series. This is what baseball is all about.The vets gets us started tonight. Andy vs SchillingTomorrows game will be of the 9-8 variety. Sunday will be a very interesting game. Let's get it on!!! :shrug:
I like to be a third party stirring the pot once in awhile. Are these afternoon games on Saturday and Sunday? I'll probably only watch if they are on at different times than Detroit and they play in the afternoon both days. I hope the Yankees sweep also.

DrD I'm glad to see you're hitting the Limoncello at little early today!

It should, as always, be a great series. This is what baseball is all about.

The vets gets us started tonight. Andy vs Schilling

Tomorrows game will be of the 9-8 variety.

Sunday will be a very interesting game.

Let's get it on!!! :hot:
I like to be a third party stirring the pot once in awhile. Are these afternoon games on Saturday and Sunday? I'll probably only watch if they are on at different times than Detroit and they play in the afternoon both days. I hope the Yankees sweep also.
:hifive:

Anyone who watched Schilling's last game knows the Yankees are in for a tough night...Sox win tonight in a game that is never in much doubt. Tomorrow they get complacent and the Yanks bats heat up, Beckett loses. Sun is a win for Dice-K, dude is pitching great and has been hit with bad luck, against the Joe Nobody that the Yanks are trotting out Sox bats won't have an issue.

A sweep would be nice, but I will settle for 2/3

Anyone who watched Schilling's last game knows the Yankees are in for a tough night...Sox win tonight in a game that is never in much doubt. Tomorrow they get complacent and the Yanks bats heat up, Beckett loses. Sun is a win for Dice-K, dude is pitching great and has been hit with bad luck, against the Joe Nobody that the Yanks are trotting out Sox bats won't have an issue.A sweep would be nice, but I will settle for 2/3
:bulletinboard:

Just saw this...

Arod is hitting below .200 against Schilling over his career (31 at bats) and he's 1-9 against Beckett

Ill say Yanks take tomorrows game. I think theyll knock around Beckett and I also think Karstens will pitch a great game. Ive said it before, hes a good young pitcher. DiceK is a great pitcher and will shut down the Yanks on Sunday and Chase Wright will get knocked around a bit so Sox take that one. So the swing game is tonight in a great pitching matchup. Pettitte is 13-5 against the Sox in his career.
I'm as big a Yankee homer as they come, but Beckett has been dealing lately and Karstens is unproven other than some nice spring training starts and is coming off an injury.I wish I was as optimistic as you. I think the Karstens and Wright games could get really ugly.

Pinnacle's line for tonight:

Fri 4/20

New York Yankees A. Pettitte +1.5 -203 +104 OVER 9 -105

Boston Red Sox C. Schilling -1.5 +185 -112 UNDER 9 -105

another interesting thing I read:

Manny, in his past 27 games against the Yankees, has batted .506 with 13 homers and 36 RBI in 89 at-bats

His on-base/slugging percentage in that time: 1.616.

from espn:

Pettitte will have to be careful with Boston sluggers Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz. Ramirez is batting .424 (25-for-59) with three homers and 18 RBIs against him, while Ortiz is hitting .409 (9-for-22) off Pettitte.

Yanks sweep and run their ownage of the BoSox in Fenway streak to a nice 10 games.....

FRI: Y 5 B 2

SAT: Y 19 B 17

SUN: Y 1 B 0 (11 innings)

A quick question:

If A-Rod hits a HR off Matsuzaka, and John Sterling calls it, "An A-Bomb, from A-Rod" would the Japanese people get offended?

A quick question:If A-Rod hits a HR off Matsuzaka, and John Sterling calls it, "An A-Bomb, from A-Rod" would the Japanese people get offended?
:banned: :cry: :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Oh.. and John Sterling is annoying. Is he jumping up and down in his seat when he does that THeeeeeheheeeeeheheeeeeeeeeeeheheeeeeee Yankeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss Winnnnnnnnnnnn" thing? sounds like he's hopping up and down. :lmao:

' date='Apr 20 2007, 01:25 PM' post='6644489']

A quick question:If A-Rod hits a HR off Matsuzaka, and John Sterling calls it, "An A-Bomb, from A-Rod" would the Japanese people get offended?
:banned: :cry: :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Oh.. and John Sterling is annoying. Is he jumping up and down in his seat when he does that THeeeeeheheeeeeheheeeeeeeeeeeheheeeeeee Yankeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss Winnnnnnnnnnnn" thing? sounds like he's hopping up and down. :lmao:
Ugh, the only thing worse than John Sterling in the booth is Susan Waldman next to him. :X

' date='Apr 20 2007, 01:25 PM' post='6644489']

:thumbdown: :thumbup: :boxing:
Ugh, the only thing worse than John Sterling in the booth is Susan Waldman next to him. :X
I give them credit.. they know their stuff... but damn they're annying to listen to. I also hate his and theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee pitch. Ball one.... Why does he hold words so long. Silence isn't the enemy buddy :wall: I'm not one that things boston's announcers are the best in the biz (though I do love Remy).. but Sterling makes me want to rip my ears off :(

2 best Yankee announcers were Jim Kaat (retired) and Bobby Murcer (brain cancer) :shrug: The "new guys" aint bad (Flaherty, Girardi, Leiter). Singleton is a solid play by play guy. Kay is bearable. And Sterling & Waldman ARE THE WORST ANNOUNCERS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shadyridr said:
2 best Yankee announcers were Jim Kaat (retired) and Bobby Murcer (brain cancer) :( The "new guys" aint bad (Flaherty, Girardi, Leiter). Singleton is a solid play by play guy. Kay is bearable. And Sterling & Waldman ARE THE WORST ANNOUNCERS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paul O'Neill said "more funner" yesterday. :lmao:

They honored Red Auerbach before the game. Or that Oden annouced he's coming out. Not sure which.

Users who are viewing this thread