jamny

***New York***

5,393 posts in this topic

El Floppo. Congrats on the einsteinbaby. Have you looked into Hunter College Elementary at all? You get 13 yrs of one of the premier educations in America for free.

Holy crap, this place looks money. Then I saw this and I'm not sure what's going on there.

When I clicked on "directions" it's pretty much around the corner from where I live in the EVil. It's also two doors down from the Hells Angels' headquarters (not to worry though, it's also next to law school dorm).

I honestly have no idea what's going on with that. But I wonder if it has something to do with a freaky older lady who wanders around the neighborhood singing about being Vegan and trying to hand out literature.

Good ol' 3rd st. btw 2/3 avenue....one of the few streets in the EV that hasn't been gentrified.

Holy crap, this place looks money. Then I saw this and I'm not sure what's going on there.

When I clicked on "directions" it's pretty much around the corner from where I live in the EVil. It's also two doors down from the Hells Angels' headquarters (not to worry though, it's also next to law school dorm).

I honestly have no idea what's going on with that. But I wonder if it has something to do with a freaky older lady who wanders around the neighborhood singing about being Vegan and trying to hand out literature.

Good ol' 3rd st. btw 2/3 avenue....one of the few streets in the EV that hasn't been gentrified.
x

Went to Momofuku Ko this weekend and had a great dinner! Pretty cool setup. its about 12 stools and the kicthen is open. everything being made in front of you. Then they do an 11 course dinner! The food was very creative and amazing! I would definitely do it again and recommend it to those looking to have a special night out or do something different.

Trip is booked for April 1-2. Took someone's suggestion from here and we're staying at the Off Soho Suites on Rivington. Looking for some meal suggestions. Keep in mind: family of 5, three kids (ages 4-9), and looking for budget-friendly meals. We're also looking for stuff that's unique and "New York".

1. We'll probably be going from Central Park down to Batter Park for a 2 PM ferry ride to the Statue of Liberty. So, lunch ideas at either location would be good. We either need to lunch around Central Park around 12 to get down to the ferry or we can probably be down to Battery Park around 12:30 and have lunch down there.

2. Breakfast near the hotel? I'm not big on bagels, but I'm sure the rest of my family would like some genuine NY bagels. Our room will have a kitchen, so even a good nearby market to eat in our room would be fine.

3. Lunch around Rockefeller Center? We'll be at the American Girl Doll store (don't act like you don't know where that is) for my daughter Monday morning, so we'll probably be in that general area around lunch time.

4. Dinner near Penn Station? Train leaves at 7:40 Monday evening, so doesn't have to be right next to Penn Station. I think we are just going to do a lot of walking around Midtown Monday afternoon, so anything in that general area should be fine and should easily allow us to get to Penn Station around 7.

We are planning on dinner at Grimaldi's in Brooklyn Sunday night and then walking across the Brooklyn Bridge back towards our hotel. I stumbled across The Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory on the internet. Any good? I was thinking that would be a good place to go for dessert after walking back to Manhattan.

Right now the weather isn't look good Sunday, so many of these plans could change.

We are planning on dinner at Grimaldi's in Brooklyn Sunday night and then walking across the Brooklyn Bridge back towards our hotel. I stumbled across The Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory on the internet. Any good? I was thinking that would be a good place to go for dessert after walking back to Manhattan.

I think Grimaldi's is overrated. The Chinatown Ice Cream shop, though, is great.

2. Breakfast near the hotel? I'm not big on bagels, but I'm sure the rest of my family would like some genuine NY bagels. Our room will have a kitchen, so even a good nearby market to eat in our room would be fine.

Two suggestions.

1: Essex Street Market. You can pick up yourself something and make it in your room.

2: Doughnut Plant. I haven't been but friends have raved about it.

The only transcendent bagels I've had have been from H&H that were hot from just being made. But they closed down their UWS location and now only exist in Hells Kitchen (west of Times Square).

1. We'll probably be going from Central Park down to Batter Park for a 2 PM ferry ride to the Statue of Liberty. So, lunch ideas at either location would be good. We either need to lunch around Central Park around 12 to get down to the ferry or we can probably be down to Battery Park around 12:30 and have lunch down there.

This is Sunday? Most of the restaurants around Battery Park will be closed since that's primarily the financial district. I'd say to go to the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park itself if the weather is nice but I don't know if you'll have the time. You should probably budget 45 mins to an hour to get from Midtown to the ferry on the weekend. If you're planning on taking a taxi, I'd still budget 40-45.

I think Grimaldi's is overrated.
But good, even if overrated?

This is Sunday? Most of the restaurants around Battery Park will be closed since that's primarily the financial district. I'd say to go to the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park itself if the weather is nice but I don't know if you'll have the time. You should probably budget 45 mins to an hour to get from Midtown to the ferry on the weekend. If you're planning on taking a taxi, I'd still budget 40-45.
Around Central Park south of 72nd there is Epicurie Boulud on Broadway that is French takeout (ie take the subway to either Columbus Circle or Lincoln Center and walk down to 63rd and Broadway. Inside the park, there is a Le Pain Quitenden at 70ish, off the road in the park. There are also food trucks were Tavern on the Green used to be, a "beer garden" (that's what they call themselves, but its really just burgers and beer) by the ball fields at 68th-ish, a cafe around 74th on the eastside where the radio controlled boats are, and a concession stand at the Wollman rink.

its definitely good.

Yes, Sunday. Good to know about not much stuff being open down there on Sundays.

We'd probably take the subway. Google estimates 30 minutes to walk from Central Park Zoo area to subway, ride subway, and walk to the ferry. So, building in an extra 15 minutes would probably work. With purchased ferry tickets, I was thinking we'd try to get to the dock around 1:30.

It's good, but just be prepared to wait awhile for a group of 5 at dinner. Plus after dinner, I'm not sure I'd really want to walk back over the bridge especially with 3 little ones in tow. That's really a lunchtime activity or you walk over the bridge, eat, then take the subway home after dinner.

Yes, Sunday. Good to know about not much stuff being open down there on Sundays.

We'd probably take the subway. Google estimates 30 minutes to walk from Central Park Zoo area to subway, ride subway, and walk to the ferry. So, building in an extra 15 minutes would probably work. With purchased ferry tickets, I was thinking we'd try to get to the dock around 1:30.

Google is wrong. If you were all adults and it was a weekday and you were familiar with where you were going, 30 minutes is maybe possible. I would allow an hour of travel time if there's a certain ferry time that your plans depend upon.

It's good, but just be prepared to wait awhile for a group of 5 at dinner. Plus after dinner, I'm not sure I'd really want to walk back over the bridge especially with 3 little ones in tow. That's really a lunchtime activity or you walk over the bridge, eat, then take the subway home after dinner.
Right. And if the weather is nice, the line at Grimaldi's will be 30-60 minutes.

Which ferry were you planning on taking? The ferry to ellis island will take you right by the statue of liberty but will cost (although not a whole lot) and probably have a line. The ferry to staten island will take you close, won't have a line, and is free. If Governor's Island is open, that will take you to where you can see the statue from a distance and see governor's island which is really nice.

I should add that these options aren't mutually exclusive, planning-wise. They're all within a few hundred yards of each other. So you can have your Plan A and then see what it looks like when you get there. And if, for whatever reason, it doesn't work for you, you can do one of the other options.

Edited by Matthias

3. Lunch around Rockefeller Center? We'll be at the American Girl Doll store (don't act like you don't know where that is) for my daughter Monday morning, so we'll probably be in that general area around lunch time.

:lmao: I went from one day claiming I would NEVER be caught in this trap to now inquiring.

Please report back on the madness.

Oh, and make sure you get pics taken at the Tebow Billboard or maybe even catch a Tebow Live Sighting.

Which ferry were you planning on taking? The ferry to ellis island will take you right by the statue of liberty but will cost (although not a whole lot) and probably have a line. The ferry to staten island will take you close, won't have a line, and is free. If Governor's Island is open, that will take you to where you can see the statue from a distance and see governor's island which is really nice.
This one. I found that through a link at the official NPS site for the Statue of Liberty.

To be honest, I won't mind ditching the Statue of Liberty from our itinerary. My son who said he wanted to see it (prompting our trip) is now saying he doesn't really care if we see it. He now wants to go to the CP Zoo (because I told him they have a Polar Bear). Dropping the statue would free up quite a bit of time and help us do some other things.

:lmao: I went from one day claiming I would NEVER be caught in this trap to now inquiring.

Oh, and make sure you get pics taken at the Tebow Billboard or maybe even catch a Tebow Live Sighting.

I've taken her to the one in Tysons Corner, VA. Crazy stuff. :lmao: at the people paying for someone to style their doll's hair.

This one. I found that through a link at the official NPS site for the Statue of Liberty.

To be honest, I won't mind ditching the Statue of Liberty from our itinerary. My son who said he wanted to see it (prompting our trip) is now saying he doesn't really care if we see it. He now wants to go to the CP Zoo (because I told him they have a Polar Bear). Dropping the statue would free up quite a bit of time and help us do some other things.

Yah. Unless you want to spend a few hours at the museum on Ellis Island (which is very cool) taking that ferry is a waste. One of the other two would serve you better. And you'll be able to see the statue, albeit from a distance, from the Brooklyn Bridge? I know definitely from the Manhattan Bridge you can.

Cutting it out altogether and just spending the afternoon in Central Park sounds like a much better plan.

I've taken her to the one in Tysons Corner, VA. Crazy stuff. :lmao: at the people paying for someone to style their doll's hair.

You Laugh?

So what are you doing Tea?

Do Dads actually go here and mock the other dads because their kid takes it just 1 step further?

Really, once you are in this place WTH - Might as well get the ####'rs hair done.

;)

You Laugh?

Do Dads actually go here and mock the other dads because their kid takes it just 1 step further?

Really, once you are in this place WTH - Might as well get the ####'rs hair done.

;)

:lmao:

I took her just to see the store. I bought her a pair of glasses for her hand-me-down doll. $12, I think. Probably a good purchase since her doll is so old and looks like she has a lazy eye (which is also missing it's eyelashes). We're going to buy her a doll for her birthday in NYC.

I'm really hoping we don't spend more than an hour in there. Don't worry, though, I'm definitely planning on taking the boys over the Lego Store. Spending money on building a spaceship with plastic pieces is obviously so much better than spending money on a doll's hair. :mellow:

You Laugh?

;)

I took her just to see the store. I bought her a pair of glasses for her hand-me-down doll. $12, I think. Probably a good purchase since her doll is so old and looks like she has a lazy eye (which is also missing it's eyelashes). We're going to buy her a doll for her birthday in NYC.

I'm really hoping we don't spend more than an hour in there. Don't worry, though, I'm definitely planning on taking the boys over the Lego Store. Spending money on building a spaceship with plastic pieces is obviously so much better than spending money on a doll's hair. :mellow:

:D We have a Lazy Eye Doll as well - not an "American Doll" just some cheapo #### doll someone gave her... :topcat:

We made an eye patch for her though and waver between pretending she's a Pirate Baby and playing Doctor.

I'll probably be at this Hell store within a year or 2......

Just thought though.....I should probably tell my parents to take her :moneybag:

El Floppo. Congrats on the einsteinbaby. Have you looked into Hunter College Elementary at all? You get 13 yrs of one of the premier educations in America for free.

Thanks gb TU.We didn't apply to Hunter- the application was over 400 clams, and I wasn't digging the proud-to-be-nerds vibe the school throws; I want more balance for the kid. He took the G&T test, so we'll see if he A: gets in the 99th percentile again, and B: gets lucky on the lottery for getting into NEST or Anderson even if he gets that 99%. NEST is down the street, so I'm hoping for that.But btw- despite his "perfect" ERB scores and what I know was a charming interview/playdate (he does really well one-on-one with adults), he got turned down by Friends. Supposedly a glut of siblings and Quakers applied this year leaving only a few spots to the rest of us- and why not one of those spots? Even though the admissions people gave us a bs "lots of great kids for not enough spots" line, I'm going to assume it's because we asked for financial aid. Well- #### us.And we also declined to re-enroll at his current private school (The Blue School- founded by the 3 original creators of the Blue Man Group). That was a load of stress having to make that decision- and I'm second guessing it every day, especially with what is his likely enrollment in the local NON-G&T public schools here in the EVil imminent. Plus, the school has seemed to turn things around in a really nice way... since we had to make our decision. #### us again.NYC sucks.

Two suggestions.

1: Essex Street Market. You can pick up yourself something and make it in your room.

The only transcendent bagels I've had have been from H&H that were hot from just being made. But they closed down their UWS location and now only exist in Hells Kitchen (west of Times Square).

For the bagels, go to Russ & Daughters on E Houston near Eldridge. It's a bit pricey, and a bit touristy at this point- but they're ####### good bagels. Just don't take them to my kid's playground across the street like all the other tourists. Or if you do, keep an eye out for a stunningly, awe-inspiringly handsome father and son and say hi. ANd then ask them where Floppo and his kid are.

Whole Foods is at E Houston and Bowery (up the street from the hotel) and a good place for breakfast and lunch. And oggling the model/actress types who shop at that location.

The Doughnut plant is pretty ####### good- but the doughnuts are more cakey than your typical "donut". People who like Krispy-Kreme type donuts often don't like these (I like both). Only problem with the place is that it's a little out of the way, and there's nothing else around it that low on the LES.

x
Does this mean you disagree?

Two suggestions.

For the bagels, go to Russ & Daughters on E Houston near Eldridge. It's a bit pricey, and a bit touristy at this point- but they're ####### good bagels. Just don't take them to my kid's playground across the street like all the other tourists. Or if you do, keep an eye out for a stunningly, awe-inspiringly handsome father and son and say hi. ANd then ask them where Floppo and his kid are.

Whole Foods is at E Houston and Bowery (up the street from the hotel) and a good place for breakfast and lunch. And oggling the model/actress types who shop at that location.

The Doughnut plant is pretty ####### good- but the doughnuts are more cakey than your typical "donut". People who like Krispy-Kreme type donuts often don't like these (I like both). Only problem with the place is that it's a little out of the way, and there's nothing else around it that low on the LES.

All this is true. Not worth the walk to the donut shop as it's deep in the LES and near a lot of govt housing i.e. very uninspiring area. Your hotel is set right between Soho, LES and Chinatown. Lots of awesome places to eat in the surrounding area. Balthazaar serves an awesome breakfast and Cafe Habana is can't miss for lunch.

It sounds like the Staten Island Ferry is about one hour round trip. If that's true, and there's no line, we may just do that so we don't spend too much time with the SoL. We'll at least head downtown to Battery Park and view it from there. That will allow us to be a bit more free with our time and not have to stick to a schedule. Maybe a night time ferry ride.

A couple midtown east restaurants (we often stay at one of the marriott's around there so getting to know some options):

La Mangeoire - Country French located on 2nd b/w 53 and 54. Just really, really, really good country french food at a decent price. Thanks to TU for introducing my wife and I to it.

Al Bustan - 53rd and 2nd I think (on 53rd), moved from the Avenue to mid block. Not cheap, but really, really good Lebanese cuisine.

Avra - Excellent, but pricey (and tough to get into at peak hours) Greek / Med cuisine. Lots of fresh seafood (which I don't eat, but everyone raves) and great other options as well, although you won't have a huge non fish selection.

x
yes.

x
yes.
Are you one of those people that consider the LES (below Houston) the East Village?

x
yes.
Are you one of those people that consider the LES (below Houston) the East Village?
Are you one of those people that considers any part of the East Village not yet gentrified?

x
yes.
Are you one of those people that considers any part of the East Village not yet gentrified?
3rd street btw 2/3 ave was definitely run down for a while. Unless that Bowery Mission closed down along with the other various initiatives along that street, it was an odd site for an otherwise gentrified area with all the homeless chilling along the block. Avenue D is still a bit sketch at night.

Fun trip.

Got to NY around 9:45 Sunday morning. Took the subway to Central Park Zoo. We had lunch at something like Cinema Cafe on E 60th. It was fine, nothing special. We then went back to Central Park and wandered around for a couple hours. The kids really enjoyed climbing on the rocks.

Around 3:00 we took the subway to our hotel and checked-in. Since we got up around 4:30 that morning and the kids just spent a couple hours walking and running around, it was nap time. The kids were wiped out. My daughter and I then went to get dinner to bring back to the room. A Lombardi's cheese pizza for the kids and Cafe Habana for the wife and I. We really liked Cafe Habana. Lombardi's was pretty meh, IMO.

Later that evening, when everyone had their energy back, we walked to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. Black Sesame for me (kind of weird), lemon sorbet for Mrs. dgreen (too sweet), mint chocolate for one kid (pretty good), and chocolate for two other kids (the best choice of all our orders). It was a fun walk.

Monday morning, wife and daughter went to Russ and Daughters for breakfast. Some bagels, bread, and lox. Kids didn't really like anything from there, so we packed up, checked out, and just went to Whole Foods for them.

After breakfast, one kid and I took the subway and the wife and two kids took a cab to the American Girl Doll store. We were racing. My son and I barely won. While the daughter looked around and picked out a new doll, I took the boys to get something from the Lego Store. We meet back at the doll store and my wife has to search the store for my daughter's jacket. While she does that, she misses the action at the corner of 5th Avenue. I didn't see what happened at first, but I suddenly hear a strange sound and see a few people around a man on the ground. Not sure what was happening, but the driver of a black town car was on the street moaning/shrieking. Maybe he was seizing? Not sure. Anyway, extremely impressive that I think it was literally maybe 30 seconds for two cops to be there and maybe 60 seconds for the ambulance and fire truck to show up. Within maybe another 2 minutes, the man was lifted on a stretcher and in the ambulance. The whole event was over in a about five minutes.

So, we then start walking towards a subway that will take us to Brooklyn for lunch and to walk the bridge. It was almost 1:00 and Grimaldi's had a decent-sized line outside, so we opted out. We ended up at Front Street Pizza. It was fine and was actually probably our cheapest meal of the trip. The food reminded a lot of a local "NY Pizza" joint near my house, which is owned and operated by legit Italians via NYC. The best part was that it was probably the only time we were surrounded by the stereotypical NYer. The employees seemed to have the accent and attitude that people expect to find in NY.

Lunch is over and we walk the bridge. For whatever reason, I didn't have any great expectations of this walk, but I thought it was really cool. It was a nice day and gives great views of Manhattan. Provided some really good photo opps. The bridge gave the kids their first look at the Statue of Liberty, but they wanted to get closer. So, after we get back to Manhattan, we walk down to Battery Park. We took a brief rest at City Hall Park and then kept going straight down Broadway.

Battery Park obviously gave a better view of the Statue than the Brooklyn Bridge, but it still didn't satisfy the kids. Actually, I think they just wanted to be on a boat. To the Staten Island ferry. Took a ride to Staten Island and back and we were able to get a better look at the Statue. I think it was around 5:00 at this point and our train was at 7:40, so it was time to head back up to Midtown.

We had to go back to the American Girl Doll store because my wife left her wallet there. We then took our time walking from there to Times Square, hung out for a few minutes, and then down to Penn Station. Grabbed dinner to take on the train and headed home.

It was fun and tiring. Everyone really enjoyed it.

x
yes.
3rd street btw 2/3 ave was definitely run down for a while. Unless that Bowery Mission closed down along with the other various initiatives along that street, it was an odd site for an otherwise gentrified area with all the homeless chilling along the block. Avenue D is still a bit sketch at night.
There's a mission on the Bowery and there's that bigger place on the block you're talking about (which, btw, isn't the block we were just talking about with the Hell's Angels... but whatever). I don't think that's the Bowery Mission- but maybe it is? Either way, it's literally right next door to The Bowery Hotel... and just about every other upscale place that has opened on the Bowery in the last few years.

Yeah- the South side of that block where the Mission/homeless shelter is, is a little sketchy with those guys hanging out all day and night (the wife doesn't like walking that stretch by herself), but the other side of the street is shops and apartments that I wouldn't be able to afford at this point. And other than the stretch of sidewalk in front of that place and the yard next to it, the South side of the block is fine too.

I looked at apartments for sale- already years ago- just off of D that were in the 1.2-5 for 2br range. I'd call that gentrified. But I'm sure there are some vestigial run-down walk-up tenements that still sell and rent for relatively cheap (for EVil) prices. And yeah again, Ave D hasn't seen the uptick in bars, restaurants and stores that C has, and likely won't unless they raze that stretch of housing complexes that run the entirety of the East side of D.

So I guess if we're saying that the Projects and occasional homeless shelter haven't become gentrified, then yeah- I agree with you.

This all has come out more surly than the ball-breaking tone I originally intended. I'm tired and cranky. forgive.

Fun trip.Got to NY around 9:45 Sunday morning. Took the subway to Central Park Zoo. We had lunch at something like Cinema Cafe on E 60th. It was fine, nothing special. We then went back to Central Park and wandered around for a couple hours. The kids really enjoyed climbing on the rocks.Around 3:00 we took the subway to our hotel and checked-in. Since we got up around 4:30 that morning and the kids just spent a couple hours walking and running around, it was nap time. The kids were wiped out. My daughter and I then went to get dinner to bring back to the room. A Lombardi's cheese pizza for the kids and Cafe Habana for the wife and I. We really liked Cafe Habana. Lombardi's was pretty meh, IMO.Later that evening, when everyone had their energy back, we walked to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. Black Sesame for me (kind of weird), lemon sorbet for Mrs. dgreen (too sweet), mint chocolate for one kid (pretty good), and chocolate for two other kids (the best choice of all our orders). It was a fun walk.Monday morning, wife and daughter went to Russ and Daughters for breakfast. Some bagels, bread, and lox. Kids didn't really like anything from there, so we packed up, checked out, and just went to Whole Foods for them.After breakfast, one kid and I took the subway and the wife and two kids took a cab to the American Girl Doll store. We were racing. My son and I barely won. While the daughter looked around and picked out a new doll, I took the boys to get something from the Lego Store. We meet back at the doll store and my wife has to search the store for my daughter's jacket. While she does that, she misses the action at the corner of 5th Avenue. I didn't see what happened at first, but I suddenly hear a strange sound and see a few people around a man on the ground. Not sure what was happening, but the driver of a black town car was on the street moaning/shrieking. Maybe he was seizing? Not sure. Anyway, extremely impressive that I think it was literally maybe 30 seconds for two cops to be there and maybe 60 seconds for the ambulance and fire truck to show up. Within maybe another 2 minutes, the man was lifted on a stretcher and in the ambulance. The whole event was over in a about five minutes.So, we then start walking towards a subway that will take us to Brooklyn for lunch and to walk the bridge. It was almost 1:00 and Grimaldi's had a decent-sized line outside, so we opted out. We ended up at Front Street Pizza. It was fine and was actually probably our cheapest meal of the trip. The food reminded a lot of a local "NY Pizza" joint near my house, which is owned and operated by legit Italians via NYC. The best part was that it was probably the only time we were surrounded by the stereotypical NYer. The employees seemed to have the accent and attitude that people expect to find in NY.Lunch is over and we walk the bridge. For whatever reason, I didn't have any great expectations of this walk, but I thought it was really cool. It was a nice day and gives great views of Manhattan. Provided some really good photo opps. The bridge gave the kids their first look at the Statue of Liberty, but they wanted to get closer. So, after we get back to Manhattan, we walk down to Battery Park. We took a brief rest at City Hall Park and then kept going straight down Broadway.Battery Park obviously gave a better view of the Statue than the Brooklyn Bridge, but it still didn't satisfy the kids. Actually, I think they just wanted to be on a boat. To the Staten Island ferry. Took a ride to Staten Island and back and we were able to get a better look at the Statue. I think it was around 5:00 at this point and our train was at 7:40, so it was time to head back up to Midtown.We had to go back to the American Girl Doll store because my wife left her wallet there. We then took our time walking from there to Times Square, hung out for a few minutes, and then down to Penn Station. Grabbed dinner to take on the train and headed home.It was fun and tiring. Everyone really enjoyed it.

:thumbup:Damn- you guys went non-stop... nice.I can't believe with that icecream talk (I've never been to that Chinatown place) I forgot to mention the Laboritorio del Gelato, which is across the street from Katz's (just a block or two from Russ and Daughters)... crazy good gelato (last time i had some, I got a scoop of Guinness- and yes, it tasted like Guinness (and had booze).And funny observation about the speed of the cops/ambulance. We had to call 311 (non 911/emeregency calls) a couple weeks ago on some construction related problems in our building that included fumes/dust in our apartment. Before my wife had hung up with the operator (who had pushed her through to 911), FDNY, EMTs and NYPD were knocking at our door. No joke- my wife was still on the phone. It's a comfort to know when we've called them for whatever reason (I used to call them all time to report traffic accidents at our intersection), there's a response in minutes.

Been in Miami for work since March 15th. God do I miss NYC.

I live in S Florida and I can attest that Miami sucks - nice place to visit and see eye candy in the winter, but wouldn't want to live there.

I've been to that Chinatown Ice Cream place. The almond cookie ice cream tastes just like an almond cookie.

Speaking of Chinatown, I was sad to hear the video game arcade on Mott St. finally closed down. It was a totally sleazy dive with shady characters and no ventilation, but it was a throwback to the arcades that were on 42nd St. and every big city in the US a couple of decades ago. I don't think any of the ones in SF survived the 20th century.

My son and I spent a memorable half hour in the NY Chinatown Arcade during our last visit. There aren't a lot of semi-illicit, cool things you can do on a guys trip with a 14 year old. When I found out our hotel was close to the last arcade in Manhattan, it became a must visit for us. We arrived near midnight and felt sort of like characters from Double Dragon walking down the filthy street to get there. It didn't disappoint. It was pretty small and run down but it was a nice pilgrimage back to the bay when playing pinball and video games involved leaving your home. We survived, but unfortunately the arcade hasn't. A very small loss to a big city but a loss nonetheless.

x
yes.
There's a mission on the Bowery and there's that bigger place on the block you're talking about (which, btw, isn't the block we were just talking about with the Hell's Angels... but whatever). I don't think that's the Bowery Mission- but maybe it is? Either way, it's literally right next door to The Bowery Hotel... and just about every other upscale place that has opened on the Bowery in the last few years.

Yeah- the South side of that block where the Mission/homeless shelter is, is a little sketchy with those guys hanging out all day and night (the wife doesn't like walking that stretch by herself), but the other side of the street is shops and apartments that I wouldn't be able to afford at this point. And other than the stretch of sidewalk in front of that place and the yard next to it, the South side of the block is fine too.

I looked at apartments for sale- already years ago- just off of D that were in the 1.2-5 for 2br range. I'd call that gentrified. But I'm sure there are some vestigial run-down walk-up tenements that still sell and rent for relatively cheap (for EVil) prices. And yeah again, Ave D hasn't seen the uptick in bars, restaurants and stores that C has, and likely won't unless they raze that stretch of housing complexes that run the entirety of the East side of D.

So I guess if we're saying that the Projects and occasional homeless shelter haven't become gentrified, then yeah- I agree with you.

This all has come out more surly than the ball-breaking tone I originally intended. I'm tired and cranky. forgive.