What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (3 Viewers)

Well this has been a lot of ####### rain.

I encourage anyone looking for some sad entertainment to go find videos of flooded subways on Twitter.
or me wrestling with yet another Lukoil umbrella in the gusts - was touch n' go for awhile, but the gale force conditions finally whipped my ### - that ####ty umbrella took of like a frgging rocket, woulda had Mary Poppins up on Jupiter by now. 

someone had to be filming that fiasco from the comfy confines of their living room  :popcorn:

April might just be the most frustrating month. You get your first tastes of nice days, but mymind would always think "it's spring! Gonna be 70 today and a little chilly tonight! 

Meanwhile, it's as likely to be 45 as 60 if not moreso... going down into the 30s and cold and wet on the regular.

MAY does shine though 

Even the added audio is well done. Sometimes it can be a little cheesy and distracting.
Between the smoothness of the video and the sound, I was surprised at how well it was restored.  I expected it to be choppy, like pretty much all videos from a long time ago.  Even a home video from the 70s would be choppier than that was.  It's a great find.  How did you come across it?

Between the smoothness of the video and the sound, I was surprised at how well it was restored.  I expected it to be choppy, like pretty much all videos from a long time ago.  Even a home video from the 70s would be choppier than that was.  It's a great find.  How did you come across it?
A friend posted it on FB.

75-80 and sunny all week in Strong Island south. 

:coffee:  

(and yes, that makes up for 100 degree days in August, I'll take that over 42 and wet for another month on each end of the spectrum... but it don't make up for living by the beach)

Ok so they just removed a whole bunch of parking spaces right around the corner from my house for "ride share cars".  Sorry, but I live in one of the hardest place to park in Brooklyn (basically a block from PPW and near methodist hospital)  and taking spaces away/limiting there use seems absurd to me.  The combo of the hospital and park make parking near me impossible (especially on nice days when park fills up).  I was fine with spaces taken away for Citi bike and when they removed spaces for bike lanes on PPW but give me a break.  Why do ride share cars get a preference over the person who owns a car.  Find your own damn spot if you use ride share like everyone else.  My family has a single car for the 5 of us so already so much better then someone in the suburbs with multiple cars. 

However, the worst part is apparently they put in the sign Tuesday or Wednesday and then gave me a ticket this morning.  WTF!  I don't check my car parking spot daily and I parked legally at the time on Sunday night but they put this damn sign up and I get a ticket.  This damn city.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so they just removed a whole bunch of parking spaces right around the corner from my house for "ride share cars".  Sorry, but I live in one of the hardest place to park in Brooklyn (basically a block from PPW and near methodist hospital)  and taking spaces away/limiting there use seems absurd to me.  The combo of the hospital and park make parking near me impossible (especially on nice days when park fills up).  I was fine with spaces taken away for Citi bike and when they removed spaces for bike lanes on PPW but give me a break.  Why do ride share cars get a preference over the person who owns a car.  Find your own damn spot if you use ride share like everyone else.  My family has a single car for the 5 of us so already so much better then someone in the suburbs with multiple cars. 

However, the worst part is apparently they put in the sign Tuesday or Wednesday and then gave me a ticket this morning.  WTF!  I don't check my car parking spot daily and I parked legally at the time on Sunday night but they put this damn sign up and I get a ticket.  This damn city.  
Sucks.

Re bolded, argument could be made that it's serving more people than just the individual car owners.

Sucks.

Re bolded, argument could be made that it's serving more people than just the individual car owners.
And if having a better ride share program means 5 (or however many) people are giving up their cars in your neighborhood for every one car that is now kept there permanently, you've actually improved your ability to find parking.

I'd also guess that the company is paying the city for those spots that were otherwise being taken up by you and others for free.

FWIW, Zipcar has had 40-something reserved spots on streets in Hoboken for a while now and the city claims 17 cars have been given up for each space they are allocated.

Well I can say for today the two of the three spots were empty and the third was taken up by my car with ticket and there are other spots in the neighborhood empty.  Also, I can see the argument that in long run it can reduce issues but problem is not for my neighborhood.  We get so many visitors on a daily basis that aren't even residents between visitors at the hospital and visitors to prospect park.  Giving them three spots on Prospect Park West is idiocy.  The park averages 8 million visitors a year and is a huge destination and you would be shocked how many people drive to it carrying some serious bbq supplies every weekend.  Many of these from folks not from neighborhood but from all around the city who don't have access to good green space near them and I personally love the culture of the park on weekends with the latin music blasting.  You feel like you live in the city where sometimes park slope can lack diversity.  Also, you get a lot of visitors to the Hospital and to be honest the easiest time to find parking is when visiting hours are up.  

Maybe this can be viewed as someone complaining about their parking and should just move elsewhere but it is kind of the opposite.  Why should spaces be given up for some when the rest of the boroughs population suffer.  This is not just about my parking but parking for general use of the area (the park and the Hospital)   

El Floppo said:
:eek:

Bodega on the corner by kids school had this happen a few weeks ago. A mom got hit, with kid crying in tv wondering if she was alive
That's terrible.  In Houston (and likely other cities), this has been a popular move by thieves when a business is closed.  They'll just drive their huge truck into the front door and steal the ATM machine.  I thought at first it was just random accidents I'd drive by but several folks have been busted.   Cant imagine the amount of damage these fools cause in the process.  

That's terrible.  In Houston (and likely other cities), this has been a popular move by thieves when a business is closed.  They'll just drive their huge truck into the front door and steal the ATM machine.  I thought at first it was just random accidents I'd drive by but several folks have been busted.   Cant imagine the amount of damage these fools cause in the process.  
Pronounced - how-stun

RUSF18 said:
FWIW, Zipcar has had 40-something reserved spots on streets in Hoboken for a while now and the city claims 17 cars have been given up for each space they are allocated.
And it's still impossible to find a parking space in Hoboken.

And it's still impossible to find a parking space in Hoboken.
Doesn't help that resident permits are comically under priced. I think I pay $15 for the year? Although I rarely use it since I have a space in my building.

I don't know why NYC doesn't charge a reasonable monthly fee for the ability to park on the street. Something obviously less than the $400+ it would cost for a garage space, but "free parking" leads to way more cars than people actually need.

Doesn't help that resident permits are comically under priced. I think I pay $15 for the year? Although I rarely use it since I have a space in my building.

I don't know why NYC doesn't charge a reasonable monthly fee for the ability to park on the street. Something obviously less than the $400+ it would cost for a garage space, but "free parking" leads to way more cars than people actually need.
I agree that free street parking is usually not the way to go. 

Awesome book out there on the subject "The High Cost of Free Parking"

I agree that free street parking is usually not the way to go. 

Awesome book out there on the subject "The High Cost of Free Parking"
Would happily pay for some system of street parking but giving parking to some company. Give me a break. 

Hello New Yorkers.  I will be visiting for the first time ever at the end of June for a conference, but should have time to hit up the major sites here and there.  I hope it's not too hot.  My questions are mainly food related.

Is there a definitive place these days to get a New York slice in Manhattan?  People say you can't get New York pizza outside of New York even though every other pizza place out here in California claims to be New York style.  I've read a few recommendations for Joe's.  I've also heard that anything other than Sbarro's is good.  Anything else?

Also, I'm staying in a hotel near Times Square.  Are there any good bagels within walking distance of here in the direction of Hell's Kitchen?  Russ and Daughters seems like a bit of a walk and in the opposite direction of where I need to go.  

Hello New Yorkers.  I will be visiting for the first time ever at the end of June for a conference, but should have time to hit up the major sites here and there.  I hope it's not too hot.  My questions are mainly food related.

Is there a definitive place these days to get a New York slice in Manhattan?  People say you can't get New York pizza outside of New York even though every other pizza place out here in California claims to be New York style.  I've read a few recommendations for Joe's.  I've also heard that anything other than Sbarro's is good.  Anything else?

Also, I'm staying in a hotel near Times Square.  Are there any good bagels within walking distance of here in the direction of Hell's Kitchen?  Russ and Daughters seems like a bit of a walk and in the opposite direction of where I need to go.  
I've heard a lot of good things about Best Bagel & Coffee on 35th b/w 7 & 8 - probably a good chance for a tasty bagel and/or NY breakfast sammich/deli experience.

The thing with Pizza is 80% of the places on the street are going to have pretty solid pizza, as in probably some of the best "inexpensive" parlor style pizza in most towns in the Country.  The other 20% might be too doughy or something, but even they have to be decent to stay around in NY.   So if you are hungry and need a quick bite, find a pizza spot or do a quick yelp to find an ok spot (within like 2 blocks of wherever you are) and you'll be good. If you want to hunt some down, I'll let others pick apart the best options. 

Not far from you on 51st b/w 8 & 9 is the second location of Ippudo Ramen - still the best Ramen I've had in the States, if it's not too hot (and their other food is great too... but dammit, get their ramen).

Finally, if you want Italian, old school, authentic experience, I found this place Mercato on 39th and 9th, but the tunnel.   It was AWESOME. Total throwback to restaurants that can no longer afford rent in NY.  Reasonable pricess (upper teens, low 20's, maybe a couple options pushed 30), waiters who spoke Italian better than (still plenty good) english. Small place, real authentic "old school" vibe that I miss with all the chef driven, concept minded foodie oriented stuff we have.  This was just flat out great food and an awesome overall experience. 

I've heard a lot of good things about Best Bagel & Coffee on 35th b/w 7 & 8 - probably a good chance for a tasty bagel and/or NY breakfast sammich/deli experience.

The thing with Pizza is 80% of the places on the street are going to have pretty solid pizza, as in probably some of the best "inexpensive" parlor style pizza in most towns in the Country.  The other 20% might be too doughy or something, but even they have to be decent to stay around in NY.   So if you are hungry and need a quick bite, find a pizza spot or do a quick yelp to find an ok spot (within like 2 blocks of wherever you are) and you'll be good. If you want to hunt some down, I'll let others pick apart the best options. 

Not far from you on 51st b/w 8 & 9 is the second location of Ippudo Ramen - still the best Ramen I've had in the States, if it's not too hot (and their other food is great too... but dammit, get their ramen).

Finally, if you want Italian, old school, authentic experience, I found this place Mercato on 39th and 9th, but the tunnel.   It was AWESOME. Total throwback to restaurants that can no longer afford rent in NY.  Reasonable pricess (upper teens, low 20's, maybe a couple options pushed 30), waiters who spoke Italian better than (still plenty good) english. Small place, real authentic "old school" vibe that I miss with all the chef driven, concept minded foodie oriented stuff we have.  This was just flat out great food and an awesome overall experience. 
Thanks! That's what I thought about the pizza.  I'm sure I'll try more than one.  

Also thanks for the Ramen recommendation.  I was actually thinking of trying Ivan Ramen after seeing his Chef's Table episode, but will add this place as well since it's a lot closer.  

Thanks! That's what I thought about the pizza.  I'm sure I'll try more than one.  

Also thanks for the Ramen recommendation.  I was actually thinking of trying Ivan Ramen after seeing his Chef's Table episode, but will add this place as well since it's a lot closer.  
I've heard generally good things about Ivan... but Ippudo, which is apparently one of the leading brands/chains/owners in Japan, is just out of this world. 

Koya's post is excellent so I don't have a lot to add.  I don't know the bagel shops in that area, but I will second his recommendation of Ippudo for ramen.  With regards to pizza, Koya is right and most places will be pretty good.  I would take a look at the pizza and decide before ordering.  If it looks like it's been sitting around for a while and/or the crust is under or over cooked, or whatever your preferences for pizza, you can walk another block or 2 and find other pizza places.  There are so many, you don't have to worry about getting stuck at one because it's the only one in the neighborhood.  Plus, chances are you won't have to look into more than a couple before you find one that looks good.

I can recommend a lot of different restaurants.  One thing I recommend is to try something new.  One of my favorite things about NYC is that you can find good food for just about any kind of or nationality of food.  I have a friend from Cincinnati who comes to NYC for a week every month to visit with his NYC office and we get together for lunch at a different type of restaurant most of the time.  We have been doing this for years now and we have been to about 30 different kinds of restaurants.  Most of them have been very good, and the majority are pretty budget friendly for NYC.  Let me know what else you would like to try and we can come up with some good recommendations. 

Koya's post is excellent so I don't have a lot to add.  I don't know the bagel shops in that area, but I will second his recommendation of Ippudo for ramen.  With regards to pizza, Koya is right and most places will be pretty good.  I would take a look at the pizza and decide before ordering.  If it looks like it's been sitting around for a while and/or the crust is under or over cooked, or whatever your preferences for pizza, you can walk another block or 2 and find other pizza places.  There are so many, you don't have to worry about getting stuck at one because it's the only one in the neighborhood.  Plus, chances are you won't have to look into more than a couple before you find one that looks good.

I can recommend a lot of different restaurants.  One thing I recommend is to try something new.  One of my favorite things about NYC is that you can find good food for just about any kind of or nationality of food.  I have a friend from Cincinnati who comes to NYC for a week every month to visit with his NYC office and we get together for lunch at a different type of restaurant most of the time.  We have been doing this for years now and we have been to about 30 different kinds of restaurants.  Most of them have been very good, and the majority are pretty budget friendly for NYC.  Let me know what else you would like to try and we can come up with some good recommendations. 
That's what I love about the SF bay area too.  But if it's one area we lack in, it's Jewish deli's and supposedly New York pizza.  Gonna get my fill of both on this trip for sure.  I hear Katz is worth it even though it's a touristy place?

That's what I love about the SF bay area too.  But if it's one area we lack in, it's Jewish deli's and supposedly New York pizza.  Gonna get my fill of both on this trip for sure.  I hear Katz is worth it even though it's a touristy place?
I highly prefer 2nd Avenue Deli over Katz's.

My mom had a spot somewhere in the deep Sunset that approximated her memory of ny bagels (Brooklyn born and raised). This was the 70s and 80s, so not sure if still around. The ones I've had out there always taste too breast, not sense enough.

Russ and Daughters is more about the spreads than the bagels, imo (although they're good). It's half a block from me. I'm looking out my window at Katz's deli- the last and best remaining Jewish delis and worth the visit more than Russ and Daughters imo. 

But you're not walking down here from times square. Hop a subway... Just hope you don't run into these guys 

Joe's Pizza on Carmine St in the Village.  its by the bball courts on West 4st and 6th ave.  Great pizza......most pizza is great in NYC.....except the $1 pizza shops

Koya said:
I'll second this one. Koya recommended it and it was spot on. Can't find many places like that in NY anymore, especially in that area.

I had a great Sicilian slice a few weeks ago at Prince Street Pizza.

Would happily pay for some system of street parking but giving parking to some company. Give me a break. 
You keep using this word but you realize it's not accurate, right? The companies are paying the city for these spaces and in exchange the city is reserving spaces for them.

FWIW my favorite place for a slice in midtown is Little Italy on 43rd between Madison and 5th. There are a few other locations with the same name but they're not related. 

You keep using this word but you realize it's not accurate, right? The companies are paying the city for these spaces and in exchange the city is reserving spaces for them.
Given it is a one time fee to the city of around 700 bucks it pretty much is giving them away for free when you compare it to garage parking costs these companies have to pay.  

ETA - they also don't have to comply with alternate side of street parking.  

Given it is a one time fee to the city of around 700 bucks it pretty much is giving them away for free when you compare it to garage parking costs these companies have to pay.  
It's a pilot program, no? I wouldn't expect that to be the case in perpetuity. 

It's a pilot program, no? I wouldn't expect that to be the case in perpetuity. 
Two year pilot program with idea to expand it.  Given monthly parking fees around the corner are $300 bucks a month $765 is basically giving it away and way under market costs to for profit companies.   

Now that I am going to be in the same office for the most part (a little travel), I am now thinking about signing up for Mealpal.  Do any of you guys still use them?  How has your experience been?  https://www.mealpal.com/

Now that I am going to be in the same office for the most part (a little travel), I am now thinking about signing up for Mealpal.  Do any of you guys still use them?  How has your experience been?  https://www.mealpal.com/
My restaurant options are horrible and I caught a stomach parasite that crippled me for over a month.  Thanks @El Floppo!  So overall, I rate the experience a 1 out of 10*.  

(*still a subscriber.  When you cancel, you have an option to continue at a number of meals for a fixed price with no timeline on using those meals. So I stayed subscribed for the 1 or 2 times per week I eat at a place that probably didn't send me to the hospital.)

My restaurant options are horrible and I caught a stomach parasite that crippled me for over a month.  Thanks @El Floppo!  So overall, I rate the experience a 1 out of 10*.  

(*still a subscriber.  When you cancel, you have an option to continue at a number of meals for a fixed price with no timeline on using those meals. So I stayed subscribed for the 1 or 2 times per week I eat at a place that probably didn't send me to the hospital.)
What neighborhood are you in?  I am in Flatiron, very near the border with Chelsea.  What restaurant made you sick?

What neighborhood are you in?  I am in Flatiron, very near the border with Chelsea.  What restaurant made you sick?
I'm against central park which is a horrible horrible neighborhood for restaurants. You'll be better off. 

As far as where I got sick, I have it narrowed to three (probably). It's hard to say for sure since it can take a few weeks for the parasite to kick in.  

Use it almost every day. Love it. Just switched from the 12 to 20 meal plan due to being in the office more... Paying $5.99 for the same stuff I'd normally be paying 8+ for. And forces me to expand my restaurant horizons with tons of choices near my office. Big big fan.

Neil is a sissy.

Users who are viewing this thread