What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (3 Viewers)

What neighborhood are you in?  I am in Flatiron, very near the border with Chelsea.  What restaurant made you sick?
I'm in Ktown area just north of you. You are in ground zero for choices. I go to Hill Country at least once a week, Dr Snood (when it's not sold out) and Pergola all down there.

Huge fan

I'm in Ktown area just north of you. You are in ground zero for choices. I go to Hill Country at least once a week, Dr Snood (when it's not sold out) and Pergola all down there.

Huge fan
Hill Country for $6 and change is a great deal.  Do you get enough food to fill you up?

I will give it a try.  There are tons of restaurants near my office so it sounds like a good deal if you are in my area

Use it almost every day. Love it. Just switched from the 12 to 20 meal plan due to being in the office more... Paying $5.99 for the same stuff I'd normally be paying 8+ for. And forces me to expand my restaurant horizons with tons of choices near my office. Big big fan.

Neil is a sissy.
On the plus side, I did lose 20 lbs not long after I enrolled.  Sure it was from sh itting myself non stop, but hey.  Results, right?

If you wait, they have pretty frequently give aways- $50 Visa card for signing up (and for me for signing you up)
Ok, but I don't want to wait too long.  If you get something for referring me then PM the details and I will sign up through you. I will be travelling this week so I can wait until next week or a little later

I'll do a screen shot of available  restaurants at madison SQ park at 5 when tomorrow's menu goes live..to give you a sense of what's available

Hill Country for $6 and change is a great deal.  Do you get enough food to fill you up?

I will give it a try.  There are tons of restaurants near my office so it sounds like a good deal if you are in my area
If you wait, we each get $50 for you signing up. Not running now unfortunately.

Meals fill me up, yes. Some more than others. But I always have a couple snacks trlhrough the day (fruit at 10:30, nuts at 3ish) so I'm not telling on the lunch as sole source

If you wait, we each get $50 for you signing up. Not running now unfortunately.

Meals fill me up, yes. Some more than others. But I always have a couple snacks trlhrough the day (fruit at 10:30, nuts at 3ish) so I'm not telling on the lunch as sole source
The flake of brisket and 5 mac and cheese noodles from Hill Country is one of my favorite meal pals.

I'm still using it too but only have the 6/month plan. I usually WFH once a week and find getting it once or twice a week gives me just enough variety, especially since I try to eat fairly healthy. I'm up on 51st between 6th and 7th now (coming from 48th/Park) and I find the options to be just a bit more lacking but can generally end up happy especially if I'm willing to walk a bit. 

I've been going to The Little Beet a lot and have also upped my poke intake.

Edit: I had a really bad sandwich the other day that was not as described on the menu. Emailed MP and got credited back the meal quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still using it too but only have the 6/month plan. I usually WFH once a week and find getting it once or twice a week gives me just enough variety, especially since I try to eat fairly healthy. I'm up on 51st between 6th and 7th now (coming from 48th/Park) and I find the options to be just a bit more lacking but can generally end up happy especially if I'm willing to walk a bit. 

I've been going to The Little Beet a lot and have also upped my poke intake.
I try to stay with salads and non sandwich/Carby options... Lots of those, but been doing a lot of poke too (too much).

Ok, but I don't want to wait too long.  If you get something for referring me then PM the details and I will sign up through you. I will be travelling this week so I can wait until next week or a little later
fyi- screenshot

red dots are all the participating restaurants in the area... plus a sampling of the specific items each offer tomorrow.

eta: I'm getting Hill Country cobb salad

I'm sure you've all seen the story about the 15 year old kid being dragged out of a bodega and hacked to death like an animal. Case of mistaken identity by these animals too, nonetheless. 

Gotta be honest, this story gets me a little teary eyed. By all accounts, the 15 year old was a really good kid - dragged out of a bodega and stabbed/beaten to death to by a group of 20 something year old scumbags. 

When I advocate torture, some people say "why should we stoop to their level"? 

You know why? Jail isn't a huge punishment for these dirtbags, they'd wind up there anyways, with housing/food/surrounded by animals that they relate and feel comfortable with. In a case like this, cut their hands off, why not? They're caught redhanded, we know they did it - they should die in jail, with no use of their hands ever again, #### them!

Regardless of your stance on torture, this is one of those stories that just hits you hard, wtf... Animals!!

Switched from the F to the 4/5 almost a year ago - I've been on the F maybe five times in the last year, and each time I just thought to myself what a ####### mistake!!

F is the worst... I walk an extra 6 blocks each way, well worth it!.
I take Citi bike everyday to avoid the F. #### the F. 

we're on the F, so take the F. 

if I get the kids on the train before 8:15, it's sky-high airlines. after 8:15, total ####show. it's only two stops to W4th for us, so we also use the subway app to see how long it's going to take- if it's more than 8minutes, we'll walk to bwy lafayette where a ton of people get out, freeing up the F for seats and space- or we hop on an M or B/D. sometimes we'll take the bus to bwy (using the bus app) if one is coming.

but yeah- citibike every night unless it's pouring down rain or snowing. and then... ugh... hate having to jam into that or any other subway.

not sure where you're all at with schools... but here's our news.

we're in a good spot being in District 2- a bunch of solid middle school options available... I think you have to work pretty hard to find a bad one. floppinho ranked his favorite school based on a combo of academics plus extra/intra-curriculars- he loves music and theater, and Baruch middle has it all. mostly because it's HUGE, 1300 or so kids- and accommodates most of them with a really wide range of programs. with all of the good stuff there, because of the size I've also heard a lot of stories of kids behaving badly- fighting, bullying, etc. this is also a school most of his peers ranked second behind a variety of other pretty great smaller, more specialized schools in the district (Salk, Clinton, ESMS, Lab, etc) that required you to rank them first or not get in.... so the people who are going there are kids who couldn't get into their top choices and i've sensed a kind of wah-wah mood to most of them and their parents about going. needless to say boy-wonder got in as well- probably the only kid to rank it first in the district, and happy about going.

while we went through this, he also applied to something called the Special Music School, which is K-12, public and obviously music-based, even though their academics are supposedly top-notch. only accepts 12 kids at K (I'm told 2k applicants per seat) and then only accepts kids if a spot opens up for which tons more kids apply every year. DOE has a very specific schedule for every school in the city except this one. even though he went through the application and audition process, they only called us in a couple weeks ago for an interview- month+ after DOE lets kids know their middle school seat. and the interview didn't really tell us much- they'd let us know if a seat opened up... which could be any time between now and September, but to basically assume he's going to Baruch.

while I'm happy with his choice at Baruch, the size and bullying/fighting give me pause. we had the parent orientation there yesterday- felt good but also iffy leaving it. we were supposed to buy a t-shirt for gym for next year... decided not to. 

an hour ago, SMS called letting us know they'd accepted Floppinho. we are now potentially set until college for him, plus not having to pay for any kind of music instruction again! (lied- he's signed up to play Rolling Stones at the school of rock next fall). mostly, I'm just proud as #### of him- a really good kid who deserves good things... like this. 

not sure where you're all at with schools... but here's our news.

we're in a good spot being in District 2- a bunch of solid middle school options available... I think you have to work pretty hard to find a bad one. floppinho ranked his favorite school based on a combo of academics plus extra/intra-curriculars- he loves music and theater, and Baruch middle has it all. mostly because it's HUGE, 1300 or so kids- and accommodates most of them with a really wide range of programs. with all of the good stuff there, because of the size I've also heard a lot of stories of kids behaving badly- fighting, bullying, etc. this is also a school most of his peers ranked second behind a variety of other pretty great smaller, more specialized schools in the district (Salk, Clinton, ESMS, Lab, etc) that required you to rank them first or not get in.... so the people who are going there are kids who couldn't get into their top choices and i've sensed a kind of wah-wah mood to most of them and their parents about going. needless to say boy-wonder got in as well- probably the only kid to rank it first in the district, and happy about going.

while we went through this, he also applied to something called the Special Music School, which is K-12, public and obviously music-based, even though their academics are supposedly top-notch. only accepts 12 kids at K (I'm told 2k applicants per seat) and then only accepts kids if a spot opens up for which tons more kids apply every year. DOE has a very specific schedule for every school in the city except this one. even though he went through the application and audition process, they only called us in a couple weeks ago for an interview- month+ after DOE lets kids know their middle school seat. and the interview didn't really tell us much- they'd let us know if a seat opened up... which could be any time between now and September, but to basically assume he's going to Baruch.

while I'm happy with his choice at Baruch, the size and bullying/fighting give me pause. we had the parent orientation there yesterday- felt good but also iffy leaving it. we were supposed to buy a t-shirt for gym for next year... decided not to. 

an hour ago, SMS called letting us know they'd accepted Floppinho. we are now potentially set until college for him, plus not having to pay for any kind of music instruction again! (lied- he's signed up to play Rolling Stones at the school of rock next fall). mostly, I'm just proud as #### of him- a really good kid who deserves good things... like this. 
Congrats!  We just went on an orientation to a Charter School we got into for the 1st grader.  It's a no.  Stuck in private school for another year!  Goodbye retirement.  

Okay NYC gurus. I Need a little bit of assistance. Taking a trip up tomorrow to Hamilton Park from southern NJ. Both kids are infatuated with the play and for now this is as close as we can get.From what I've read, it takes about a half hour to see the monument and take some Manhattan skyline pictures. From there our thought is to take a ferry across and see a little bit of times square, get lunch, ferry back to Jersey and head home.

My wonders is about parking at the Port Imperial, where to eat in relatively close proximity to the ferry landing and still kind of get the Times Square experience. Our contingent is me , Mrs Simsarge, two teen kids and a couple of 70ish parents that won't be able to hike especially far. 

Last time we were up there we ate a John's pizza in an old church which was tasty and cool. At 20ish mins, It probablly is as far as we'll want to walk. Anyone have any thoughts on what to see & where to eat along that area/distance? Is Uber/lyft a practical option with 6 people? 

thanks

You can request an Uber XL and be covered with 6 people. Is the idea to Uber from the ferry to somewhere for food? Was a bit confused by this part. There's a free shuttle from the ferry stop that will take you across town. You'll want to take some kind of transportation as it's a hike from the river to Times Square and those first few aves especially are real long.

You won't have a problem getting a parking spot at the ferry terminal. I'm assuming you know that the ferry tickets are pretty pricy. I'm sure there's some kind of discount for seniors/kids but taking 6 people back and forth is going to be a nice tab. It would be likely be cheaper to check out the park on your own and then drive into the city (assuming you're avoiding rush hour both ways) pay for parking near Port Authority, and then it's a short walk to Times Square. Of course the ferry ride is pretty sweet so that's its own benefit.

John's is the typical recommendation for that area. Touristy but doesn't really feel it like so many of the other places. A lot of good Thai places around 9th ave if you're looking for something different.

Thanks! Thai and/or spicy of any kind isn't my thing anymore. Everyone wants to go on the boat ride, so I'll suck up the price. The whole thing is kind of a thank you for our guests. John's was decent, convenient (and touristy, but no biggie ) so unless something jumps out while in the AO we'll roll with thaty

Been in NYC two days. Hot as balls so trying not to walk around a lot unfortunately. The subway here is amazing though. Way better than ours back in SF. AC in the cars?  No vomit on the seats? Wow. 

For pizza, I’ve been to Joe’s and some other place called Little Italy so far. Joe’s was amazing. I’ve definitely had this style and quality of pizza back home, but not every place in California that labels itself as authentic New York style is this good. 

My wife handled most of the food options at her request. Went to Ivan Ramen last night which was excellent. The rye noodles are a great touch to an already pretty great ramen. Tonight she made reservations for Cosme which I hear is good. Tomorrow I think we’re going to Roberta’s pizza in Brooklyn. I really want to go to Mercato which is literally across the street from our hotel but my wife isn’t into old school Italian like I am. Gonna have to work on her a bit. 

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone know if Katz’s has AC? I don’t think I can handle the lines in this heat. 

Been in NYC two days. Hot as balls so trying not to walk around a lot unfortunately. The subway here is amazing though. Way better than ours back in SF. AC in the cars?  No vomit on the seats? Wow. 

For pizza, I’ve been to Joe’s and some other place called Little Italy so far. Joe’s was amazing. I’ve definitely had this style and quality of pizza back home, but not every place in California that labels itself as authentic New York style is this good. 

My wife handled most of the food options at her request. Went to Ivan Ramen last night which was excellent. The rye noodles are a great touch to an already pretty great ramen. Tonight she made reservations for Cosme which I hear is good. Tomorrow I think we’re going to Roberta’s pizza in Brooklyn. I really want to go to Mercato which is literally across the street from our hotel but my wife isn’t into old school Italian like I am. Gonna have to work on her a bit. 

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone know if Katz’s has AC? I don’t think I can handle the lines in this heat. 

Yes Katz has AC 

Lol. Of course it has ac.

But you can hang out at my place across the street if not.

I worked in my yard for 3 hours today. I’m dead on my feet. Brutal temps. 

I feel for the tourists. This is the only time you bastards. Stay hydrated.  

Scoresman said:

And If you see a subway car that is empty, avoid at all costs and walk toward the ones with people in them.   It's not even worth thinking you've found peace and quiet. The A/C is not working.  

And If you see a subway car that is empty, avoid at all costs and walk toward the ones with people in them.   It's not even worth thinking you've found peace and quiet. The A/C is not working.  

Or someone who has shat self is napping in there. Shhhhhhhhhh.

Scoresman said:

If you're going to Brooklyn you have to get pizza from L&B Spumoni Gardens

Also, choose the middle door when entering the subway car. The AC is strongest in the middle. 

Or a homeless person took a #### on the floor, either or.

Well, my slightly less than a week in NYC is over and I enjoyed it greatly for my first time there.  Except #### that heat and humidity.  That part was just awful.  I got to know the subway really well because even just walking a few blocks was hell.  Your subway system is pretty great compared to what we have here in California.  I only ####ed up once taking an express train instead of a local to the Natural History museum and ended up in Harlem.      

The Met and Natural History museums were really cool.  Took the Staten Island ferry for the obligatory Statue of Liberty pics, but otherwise the highlight of that was the breeze which helped with the heat.

The pizza was great.  I learned that we definitely do have good New York style pizza out here after all, but not everything that labels itself as such is as good, only a few are comparable.  I probably went to Joe's 3 or 4 times for the $5 slice and coke. 

The bagels were good, but we get bagels of that quality out here.  Katz Deli was out of this world and worth the 2 transfer subway ride and the price.  I went during an off peak time which was a good idea and that pastrami is unlike any I've ever had.  

Well, my slightly less than a week in NYC is over and I enjoyed it greatly for my first time there.  Except #### that heat and humidity.  That part was just awful.  I got to know the subway really well because even just walking a few blocks was hell.  Your subway system is pretty great compared to what we have here in California.  I only ####ed up once taking an express train instead of a local to the Natural History museum and ended up in Harlem.      

The Met and Natural History museums were really cool.  Took the Staten Island ferry for the obligatory Statue of Liberty pics, but otherwise the highlight of that was the breeze which helped with the heat.

The pizza was great.  I learned that we definitely do have good New York style pizza out here after all, but not everything that labels itself as such is as good, only a few are comparable.  I probably went to Joe's 3 or 4 times for the $5 slice and coke. 

The bagels were good, but we get bagels of that quality out here.  Katz Deli was out of this world and worth the 2 transfer subway ride and the price.  I went during an off peak time which was a good idea and that pastrami is unlike any I've ever had.  
Wait... you forgot to take the heat with you...

Also, choose the middle door when entering the subway car. The AC is strongest in the middle. 
:goodposting: This is some pro level stuff right here. The new trains have the ac units over each of the end doors and blow into the middle. They also blow down right at the door between each car, but that's good only for the one person standing there.

Lol. Of course it has ac.

But you can hang out at my place across the street if not.

:kicksrock:

I actually remembered you saying this, so when I was there I looked across the street and saw a tall, scary looking brick building that looked like the projects.  

I also spent so long in line at Russ and Daughters for bagels that I had to rush and was late to meet my wife. 

I actually remembered you saying this, so when I was there I looked across the street and saw a tall, scary looking brick building that looked like the projects.  

I also spent so long in line at Russ and Daughters for bagels that I had to rush and was late to meet my wife. 
Meltzer tower. Scary stuff in there... Old people home. Just try to use their open plaza- I dare you. It's where I vote.

I honestly don't think much of the bagels at Russ and Daughters- not bad, but not noteworthy. Also not sure where they get them. But good shmears, and where I get the wife caviar.

Katz's is the ####.

Users who are viewing this thread