What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (2 Viewers)

ive found 3 hostels with good ratings but are more expensive then I like so might switch to an Airbnb
but here are the 3 hostels , can you let me know how the area is 

8 nights and prices in cdn 

HI NYC hostel 891 Amsterdam av , upper west side $800
jazz on the park youth hostel 36 west 106 st , upper west side $530 -- going to message them about the age 
blue moon boutique hostel and hotel 100 orchard st , lower east side $550

I can get private Airbnb room from 50-70$

while im here , im going to get tickets to the giants/eagle game and ranger/oilers game
could you tell me if there are sections with bad sight lines in either stadium to avoid 

thanks

ive found 3 hostels with good ratings but are more expensive then I like so might switch to an Airbnb

jazz on the park youth hostel 36 west 106 st , upper west side $530 -- going to message them about the age 

while im here , im going to get tickets to the giants/eagle game and ranger/oilers game
could you tell me if there are sections with bad sight lines in either stadium to avoid 

thanks
Best location for me is the one on 100 Orchard St.  I used to live down there and loved it.  You're in the Lower East side, just a few blocks from Soho and close to many trains, cafes, bars, etc.   The first two are on the UWS which is generally clean and safe but extremely boring.   The location isn't as central but you're close to Central Park which is a plus.  It really depends what you want and what you're looking to do.  Anything in Manhattan will be fairly safe.  

Best location for me is the one on 100 Orchard St.  I used to live down there and loved it.  You're in the Lower East side, just a few blocks from Soho and close to many trains, cafes, bars, etc.   The first two are on the UWS which is generally clean and safe but extremely boring.   The location isn't as central but you're close to Central Park which is a plus.  It really depends what you want and what you're looking to do.  Anything in Manhattan will be fairly safe.  
thanks for the reply 

thanks
Yeah... Orchard st. Much closer to more good stuff than the upper west. Wave to casa de floppo... we're a couple blocks from orchard.

Btw, there was a best cheap eats in NYC article a few months ago...maybe ny mag, or grub St....and lower orchard St is groundzero for a lot of them
thanks for this and your answer about stadiums 
1 last question if you don't mind 
tailgating for the giants game ?
where and what time would it start for a thurs night game 

For MSG...anything with an actual obstructed view will be marched as such. That's really only up in the high 400 level.

In the second level (200s) above row 15 or so you'll have a partial view of the scoreboard. Ice view is fine and there are TVs in easy view for replays so you're not really missing much with the scoreboard.

I'm not sure about tailgating for Thursday night football but I'd be surprised if you had any trouble unless you're trying to get started like 12 hours early. Pretty sure that you need a pass for all of the stadium-side lots though...can't just pull up with cash on game day.

For MSG...anything with an actual obstructed view will be marched as such. That's really only up in the high 400 level.

In the second level (200s) above row 15 or so you'll have a partial view of the scoreboard. Ice view is fine and there are TVs in easy view for replays so you're not really missing much with the scoreboard.

I'm not sure about tailgating for Thursday night football but I'd be surprised if you had any trouble unless you're trying to get started like 12 hours early. Pretty sure that you need a pass for all of the stadium-side lots though...can't just pull up with cash on game day.
thanks for all this info 

when you mentioned I need a pass for the stadium side lots , what does this mean - what type of pass , where would I get it 
ive only tailgated in seattle with and without a car and its just in side lots near the stadium 

thanks for all this info 

when you mentioned I need a pass for the stadium side lots , what does this mean - what type of pass , where would I get it 
ive only tailgated in seattle with and without a car and its just in side lots near the stadium 
Not 100% sure, check the Giants/Jets sites for info but you can definitely buy a parking pass on Stubhub.

El Floppo said:
gothamist gets a video guy to film people blocking subway doors. 

what's interesting, is that it's people blocking subway doors.... or basically, not interesting.

I really need to get my curmudgeon of nyc blog going...
This is a fact of life of NYC. I am in the camp of who cares (though I do think I am pretty good about letting people on and off). 

This is a fact of life of NYC. I am in the camp of who cares (though I do think I am pretty good about letting people on and off). 
I hate this stuff and let it get to me waaaaay too much. I want to try to [frozen] let it go [\frozen] more than I do, and just say excuse me, nicely, instead of dropping a shoulder on these people.

El Floppo said:

what's interesting, is that it's people blocking subway doors.... or basically, not interesting.

Meh, these are pretty tame examples as most of those cars are pretty full. But the jackass getting on before people get off?  He can burn in hell.  

gridlockapolooza!

two evil traditions closed recently. cucina di pesce just over the weekend, il bagatto (had been reduced to delivery only for a few years) a month or so ago. these were both deeply enmeshed with my NYC experience.... sucks. given the rents, I can't imagine what kind of places will be moving in afterwards... hopes not high.

GF’s 40th Dinner Advice Needed. 

Sat Oct 13th @ 7ish w/ Party of 6 

Staying in Midtown (39th & 6th area) but okay with anything from 80th down or so. 

~$100-150/person or less preferred. 

Nothing requiring suits / cocktail dresses preferred 

She enjoys steakhouses, and I assume that’s the safe play, so recommendations there are welcome... but also looking for other spots. Exceptional food/atmosphere are factors, but also “quintessential NYC” vibe is good. 

Koya’s recommendation for Mercato will likely be used at some point just not sure if it’s the call for this meal (welcome input) 

Thanks! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey NY guys,

Looking to head up on 78 from Allentown, PA to visit and spend the night with the wife.  We recently got a Peloton and plan to visit the Peloton Studio for my 100th class (first live and not online).  I've seen nothing but good reviews of the place.  Thinking of taking off that Friday, heading up and doing a class and then heading to a hotel in the area to clean up and then going out for dinner and drinks.  Head back to hotel for the night and maybe grab breakfast in the area and do another class before we head home on Saturday.

Any suggestions for hotels in the immediate area?  Closer would be easier for walking back and forth to the classes and cleaning up back at the hotel.  I see there's a decently rated Hampton Inn nearby and I have points there but would be cool to stay in a nice boutique type of place if there's something cool that's not crazy expensive.  The New York Edition looks awesome but I think my wife wouldn't be excited about spending $600+ for one night within a couple hours drive from our house.

Any suggestions for Restaurants / Bars good for a couple on a night out?  I'm sure there's a million things in the area but need to start somewhere so would be interested to hear any favorites.  Just looking at the stuff on the map, Barcade and Smithfield Hall look interesting.  I know its easy to cab around NYC but just staying in walking distance and checking out the area may be cool too.

Please let me know what you think, TIA!

gridlockapolooza!

two evil traditions closed recently. cucina di pesce just over the weekend, il bagatto (had been reduced to delivery only for a few years) a month or so ago. these were both deeply enmeshed with my NYC experience.... sucks. given the rents, I can't imagine what kind of places will be moving in afterwards... hopes not high.
Living in the EV for most of my time in NYC makes me sad to see these places go.  At least the Frank empire is still going strong.  Love Supper.  

Not sure if you tried Atlas Cafe but it's a small little place on 2nd avenue and 5th or so.  It was my go to for delivery when I was too lazy to get out in the morning for a good egg/bagel/coffee/juice order.  Good prices and service plus a lots of other options on their menu.     Glad that spot still going strong.  

Living in the EV for most of my time in NYC makes me sad to see these places go.  At least the Frank empire is still going strong.  Love Supper.  

Not sure if you tried Atlas Cafe but it's a small little place on 2nd avenue and 5th or so.  It was my go to for delivery when I was too lazy to get out in the morning for a good egg/bagel/coffee/juice order.  Good prices and service plus a lots of other options on their menu.     Glad that spot still going strong.  

I've walked by that spot a billion times- never tried it! I'll have to give it a go soon...

Staying in Midtown (39th & 6th area) but okay with anything from 80th down or so. 

She enjoys steakhouses, and I assume that’s the safe play, so recommendations there are welcome... but also looking for other spots. 

Koya’s recommendation for Mercato will likely be used at some point just not sure if it’s the call for this meal (welcome input) 

Thanks! 
I had a pretty good meal at Uncle Jack's.

Like 36th and 9th, so walkable.

She enjoys steakhouses, and I assume that’s the safe play, so recommendations there are welcome... but also looking for other spots. Exceptional food/atmosphere are factors, but also “quintessential NYC” vibe is good. 

Thanks! 
Assume that price target includes drinks? If so, we talking a heavy drinking crowd or a cocktail/glass of wine or two?

Edit in case I forget to check back: Assuming you're not pounding drinks and a normal male/female split you should be able to get out of all the main steakhouses under that price.

All walkable from your hotel: Wolfgangs now has a location near Port Authority (41st/8th) that is a really nice space, Benjamin is also really good (41st/5th?), and of course there is Keens (36th/6th) which has the most history.

Hey NY guys,

Looking to head up on 78 from Allentown, PA to visit and spend the night with the wife.  We recently got a Peloton and plan to visit the Peloton Studio for my 100th class (first live and not online).  I've seen nothing but good reviews of the place.  Thinking of taking off that Friday, heading up and doing a class and then heading to a hotel in the area to clean up and then going out for dinner and drinks.  Head back to hotel for the night and maybe grab breakfast in the area and do another class before we head home on Saturday.

Any suggestions for hotels in the immediate area?  Closer would be easier for walking back and forth to the classes and cleaning up back at the hotel.  I see there's a decently rated Hampton Inn nearby and I have points there but would be cool to stay in a nice boutique type of place if there's something cool that's not crazy expensive.  The New York Edition looks awesome but I think my wife wouldn't be excited about spending $600+ for one night within a couple hours drive from our house.

Any suggestions for Restaurants / Bars good for a couple on a night out?  I'm sure there's a million things in the area but need to start somewhere so would be interested to hear any favorites.  Just looking at the stuff on the map, Barcade and Smithfield Hall look interesting.  I know its easy to cab around NYC but just staying in walking distance and checking out the area may be cool too.

it's not fancy, but incentra village is my mom's go-to spot when she visits. some of the rooms have convenience kitchens which is nice for keeping drinks or snacks/breakfast. very old-world and right on 8th ave below 14th. not a bad walk up to 23rd and that peloton.

there's a david chang spot on 8th and like 20th (right next to my kids' school) for eats. or that neighborhood, up or down, has a bunch of nice eating and drinking (moreso down). incentra is right around the corner from the corner bistro- consistently considered the best burgers (low-key bar joint) in NYC. and there's fancier around in the W Village. 

I barely go out, so I'll be terrible at recommending drinky spots. 

Assume that price target includes drinks? If so, we talking a heavy drinking crowd or a cocktail/glass of wine or two?

Edit in case I forget to check back: Assuming you're not pounding drinks and a normal male/female split you should be able to get out of all the main steakhouses under that price.

All walkable from your hotel: Wolfgangs now has a location near Port Authority (41st/8th) that is a really nice space, Benjamin is also really good (41st/5th?), and of course there is Keens (36th/6th) which has the most history.
Thanks! Yes assume a few drinks within that window but nothing crazy. 

Great suggestions! Walkable is good but certainly NOT required. Anywhere midtown or downtown is suitable. We don’t mind taking a taxi or subway. :thumbup:  

thanks! Keep em coming please :D  

Thanks! Yes assume a few drinks within that window but nothing crazy. 

Great suggestions! Walkable is good but certainly NOT required. Anywhere midtown or downtown is suitable. We don’t mind taking a taxi or subway. :thumbup:  

thanks! Keep em coming please :D  
If you go to keens order the mutton!  You won’t be disappointed.  

Pet peeve of mine, I've had arguments over this. When people are getting off of a crowded train, stand to the side and create a path for them to exit. It is the quickest and most efficient way for all. 

Big change in school integration just got announced that I know will impact a few folks on this board (including my family in a couple of years).  Seems great in concept but lets see how this all plays out 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/20/nyregion/de-blasio-school-integration-diversity-district-15.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fnyregion&action=click&contentCollection=nyregion&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront
I'm District 15, I've got a while until this impacts me, but I'm watching to see what happens for now.

Thanks! 
I've argued in circles on this with countless steak connoisseurs (I consider myself one, although full disclosure, not a Ribeye fan, so take it FWIW)... To me, the best steak meal you'll have in NYC is Wolfgangs - while they keep expanding, my concern is quality control, although I've seen no impact as of yet (ate there last about 3 months ago). While I'd expect they're all the same, I've only eaten at the Tribeca location. Checks all of your boxes. Strip House is another favorite of mine, I've only eaten at the 12th St location, but assume the Midtown one is no different. 12th St can be slightly trendy. Kevin Ogletree bought me a drink there once, nice guy. If you're interested in a trip to Williamsburg, Lugers should check the boxes for you too, but prob cutting it close for a reservation of that size.

German Potatoes and steak (obviously) along with the Apple Strudel and homemade cream (Wolfgangs) SOOOOO ####### GOOD!!! 

Wolfgangs isn't a trendy STK kinda place (which I'd recommend avoiding along with all the BLT places), but I'm there for a meal typically, not the trendy stuff. 

Hey NY guys,

Do yourself a favor and grab your breakfast sandwich here:

https://www.dailyprovisionsnyc.com/menus/ prob a 10 minute walk from that area. 

Try Walker Hotel on 13th - used to be called The Jade NYC. My old company used to have an account there and people coming to NYC would stay there. Never been, but I remember the feedback that it was nice, although the rooms are super small iirc. Could prob get something on hotels tonight last minute for a good deal. If you stay there or close by, grab a sandwich at Num Pang on the way out (Coconut Tiger Shrimp FTW).

Based on the two venues you listed, you might want to check out the Flatiron Room with your wife.

Other steak options to consider imo:  minetta tavern, smith and wallenskys(the grill next to the fancy restaurant) and delfriscos.  Though i would say go with one you can’t find in other cities.  

Nice to get Mayfield and Rosen in the mix, don’t think I could ride Mahomes for the year.

Mahomes (14)

Rosen (5)

Mayfield (4)

Darnold (3)

Will be good to get Cook a Fournette back at some point.

Week 1—189.90

Week 2—234.60

Week 3—200+

Onto week 4

:sehorn:
Show me your gad nammed rooster.

ETA... And stay to the right.

Other steak options to consider imo:  minetta tavern, smith and wallenskys(the grill next to the fancy restaurant) and delfriscos.  Though i would say go with one you can’t find in other cities.  
Minetta for the burger (Black Tux, iirc) imo

Agree on Del Frisco’s, but might push above his $100-$150 range.

Hey NY guys,

There’s a bunch of good food in that are (though none on that 7th-8th Ave section).  There’s Gramercy Tavern “The Tavern”, Union Square Cafe, a little farther north is The Breslin and John Dory Oyster Bar along with The Nomad.  Just stay east of 6th for lunch for the better spots on 23rd. There is Shake Shack in Madison Square Park and Madison Square Eats going on now as well that is top notch if it’s nice out along with Eataly if that interests you.

Hey NY guys,

Some other good restaurants:

Aldea (Spanish) - https://www.yelp.com/biz/aldea-new-york

Ootoya (Japanese) - https://www.yelp.com/biz/ootoya-chelsea-new-york

Thai Villa (Thai) - https://www.yelp.com/biz/thai-villa-new-york-2

The Spotted Pig (British) - https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-spotted-pig-new-york

Casa Restaurant (Brazilian) - https://www.yelp.com/biz/casa-restaurant-new-york

Casa and Spotted Pig are a long walk from mid-20s, but definitely doable.  Short cab ride if you decide not to walk.  If you want an area to walk around, the West Village (where Casa and Spotted Pig are), is great.  I work a block away from the Hampton Inn, Barcade and Smithfield Hall, and it's not the neighborhood I would choose to explore.  I would rather spend time in the Village.

Also, I haven't been to Chumley's in a long time, but it's a speakeasy type of setup - https://www.yelp.com/biz/chumleys-new-york.  I used to like getting some drinks there.  It's right near Casa.

There’s a bunch of good food in that are (though none on that 7th-8th Ave section).  There’s Gramercy Tavern “The Tavern”, Union Square Cafe, a little farther north is The Breslin and John Dory Oyster Bar along with The Nomad.  Just stay east of 6th for lunch for the better spots on 23rd. There is Shake Shack in Madison Square Park and Madison Square Eats going on now as well that is top notch if it’s nice out along with Eataly if that interests you.
The lamb burger at The Breslin is soooo friggin good. Highly recommend!

Matthias said:
Had a friend in from out of town last week. We did drinks at attaboy and dinner at wildair. Wildair was exceptional. On par with the top nyc restaurants and totally casual. And it drops you into the Lower East Side which is a great location to roll around and grab drinks. Attaboy was amazing but you'd have to get there at 6 on the dot to be able to seat 6. Cocktails where you just tell the bartender the booze you want and the mood you're in. $18/drink but that's only a few bucks more than the normal going rate.

FWIW I wouldn't worry about required suit/cocktail dresses anywhere. Restaurants requiring them basically don't exist. Just pay your check and tip well and the restaurant is happy. I went to a Michelin Star place last week in shorts and a t-shirt (wildair was a much tastier meal ftr). I wouldn't do it at all of them, but I also wouldn't think twice about jeans and a smart button down at any.
Jfc. That's down the street and I've never heard of it. And still haven't been to Contra. Having kids sucks 

Yeah... There are still place that require jackets and I think ties (iirc, le bernadin) but they are far few between. 

Eleven Madison Park has 3 Michelin stars and is supposed to be amazing.  I also hear it's so exclusive, the only way you can get a reservation is to create a parallel universe where you already have reservations.

Matthias said:
Had a friend in from out of town last week. We did drinks at attaboy and dinner at wildair. Wildair was exceptional. On par with the top nyc restaurants and totally casual. And it drops you into the Lower East Side which is a great location to roll around and grab drinks. Attaboy was amazing but you'd have to get there at 6 on the dot to be able to seat 6. Cocktails where you just tell the bartender the booze you want and the mood you're in. $18/drink but that's only a few bucks more than the normal going rate.

FWIW I wouldn't worry about required suit/cocktail dresses anywhere. Restaurants requiring them basically don't exist. Just pay your check and tip well and the restaurant is happy. I went to a Michelin Star place last week in shorts and a t-shirt (wildair was a much tastier meal ftr). I wouldn't do it at all of them, but I also wouldn't think twice about jeans and a smart button down at any.
Glad you hit Attaboy.  It's the location of the original Milk & Honey with some former bartenders taking over.  Credited as the bar to start the mixology craze.  Good memories there during Yung Major's boozing daze.  I remember having the Milk & Honey phone number was quite the commodity as it was unlisted and reservations only. There was also all kinds of rules like guys can't approach girls, no loud talking, etc.  Awesome spot to take a girl b/c it was a relatively new concept at the time.  Definitely not a bro spot.  

Good article here on the owner Sasha who sadly passed away a few years back.  His other bar Little Branch in the West Village is one of my favorites:  https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/22/nyregion/sasha-petraske-bar-owner-who-revived-luster-to-cocktail-culture-around-the-world-dies-at-42.html 

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I know parking sucks in the city and just saw a hotel I was looking at charging $75 for parking an SUV.  Any tips / tricks on parking?  Deals at parking websites / garages, etc?  Drive around until you find a spot?  Just take a bus to Port Authority instead?  Looking to park near where we'll stay in the W 23rd and 6th Ave area.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I know parking sucks in the city and just saw a hotel I was looking at charging $75 for parking an SUV.  Any tips / tricks on parking?  Deals at parking websites / garages, etc?  Drive around until you find a spot?  Just take a bus to Port Authority instead?  Looking to park near where we'll stay in the W 23rd and 6th Ave area.
NYC.bestparking.com

Put in the address and it will show you the best deals in the area. Then you can print a coupon guaranteeing a rate. Granted it's been some time since I needed to use it but it was always the best. 

But if you're only staying one night and don't need to worry about moving the car, you could get lucky and find a street spot in Chelsea.

Hey guys,

I occasionally drive to work, close by to that area. 

10 West 15th St is your best bet. 

and im back 

the hostels are  way more then I want to pay 
sitting down tonight to look for a private Airbnb room

want to narrow down my search so looking for some help
I want a neighborhood that close to a metro , some restaurants/bars , and safe to walk around at night
I know Brooklyn was recommended , any others
what area should I avoid

thanks 

Booked 

THUR DINNER: Mercato 

FRI DINNER: Extra Virgin then off to Comedy Cellar 

SAT BRUNCH: Either Pardon My French, or Pig and Khao 

SAT DINNER: Luger’s Steakhouse (Brooklyn) 

SUN BRUNCH: Agave 

should be my last question about location
I was on aribnb today searched out super hosts with great reviews and got pre approved for 4 places
don't have exact address as Airbnb doesn't give that out until you confirm 

the cheapest was in Newark 520
the other 3 are in Brooklyn 660-820

with having a week in new York which area would be better base for me : restaurants/bars ,safe to walk around at night and good pubic transport 

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread