What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (3 Viewers)

thanks. How long is the trip. Is Penn Station the terminus? How many times a day does it run?
Numerous times a day, prob at least a dozen. If you pick one with minimal stops, you could find one going a little over 3.5 hours, typically gonna be about 4 hours. 

Yes Penn Station, stops at a few in Boston, end of the line is Back Bay (I believe).

another +1 on train (we go to DC, roughly the same trip). acela is 1/2 hour faster and IIRC, guaranteed seat. 

flying the shuttle used to be faster and roughly the same price. now, with security bs taking up so much time and increased airline fares, there's no point (plus more expensive taxi ride to airport vs penn). I like getting up and walking around on the train- plus more comfortable seat w/ wifi and beer/wine/food- and as fc mentioned, decent views at times.

Wow, Acela takes 4 hours? This got me thinking about trying that next time we go to Boston but I would rather drive. Takes about as long.

@cosjobs

Just read through the other comments. 

I'll note, I've made the round trip once before without spending the night. Not going to lie, it was a long day, but I needed to be back in NYC. Nonetheless, train is super comfortable, big roomy chair, a table, wifi - you could take a comfortable nap. I'd weigh the pros/cons. If you take a 630am train, and the last train of the night, you'll save about $100-$150 round trip per traveler. The early and late trains also are typically the fastest. Obviously also save a few hundred on an NYC hotel, although, IDK if you're staying in a hotel in Boston, so that cost might be negligible.

another +1 on train (we go to DC, roughly the same trip). acela is 1/2 hour faster and IIRC, guaranteed seat. 

flying the shuttle used to be faster and roughly the same price. now, with security bs taking up so much time and increased airline fares, there's no point (plus more expensive taxi ride to airport vs penn). I like getting up and walking around on the train- plus more comfortable seat w/ wifi and beer/wine/food- and as fc mentioned, decent views at times.
I'll never fly to DC or Boston ever again. Train is such a better experience, IMO. 

I'm not traveling as much as I used to but I was always 100% Acela between NY-DC and basically 50/50 for NY-BOS between train and flying depending on timing or whatever I had going on. 

Think that's pretty typical because the difference in price between the two is significant despite the Boston trip being a good deal longer. 

I don't remember the last time my DC Acela tickets were under $350 RT. I had a trip a few months back that was booked last minute and it ended up being like $475 total.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not traveling as much as I used to but I was always 100% Acela between NY-DC and basically 50/50 for NY-BOS between train and flying depending on timing or whatever I had going on. 

Think that's pretty typical because the difference in price between the two is significant despite the Boston trip being a good deal longer. 

I don't remember the last time my DC Acela tickets were under $350 RT. I had a trip a few months back that was booked last minute and it ended up being like $475 total.
I planned on going Sunday and the cheapest one way seat was the first class for $316. So I'm going MOnday for about 75.

When renting a car, I've actually flown into Newark to avoid Logan. No rental this time, so I'll white knuckle Logan

cosjobs said:
I'm going to be in Boston for a week starting thanksgiving day. I'd like to take a train to the city for a meal and a show. Anything really good that doesn't cost $500 or does anyone have Hamilton tickets to give away?

Advice on training in from boston?
Went to see School Girls; or, The African Mean Girls play last week at the MCC Theater. Great play. Only 90 minutes with no intermission. Entertaining and a little disturbing at the same time.

I did the opposite. I was in NYC on Monday/Tuesday and had to be up in Boston on Wednesday. Took the train from Penn Station to Boston Back Bay. It was about a 4 hour trip in business. I thought about 1st class but in reading reviews, it just wasn't worth it. Took the Acela and had adequate space. It's a 2x2 configuration in Business with a tray table and outlets. While it wasn't 100% packed, it was close but I still managed to have the seat next to me (by the window) the whole time because I just piled my #### there and then blew my nose and coughed at every stop so anyone getting on would look elsewhere.  :lmao:

fwiw- get a porter, give them what you have in your wallet that isn't a 20 (we usually give around 10-15- family of 4 with bags) and get taken to the platform before the crowd is allowed down there so you can get best possible seat.

What a mess in the city. I'm trying to get to Jersey for a job, I live one exit out of the Midtown Tunnel in Queens and it's taken me 2 and a hal hours and I'm not even at the Holland Tunnel yet. It just took me about an hour to drive 1 block.

What a mess in the city. I'm trying to get to Jersey for a job, I live one exit out of the Midtown Tunnel in Queens and it's taken me 2 and a hal hours and I'm not even at the Holland Tunnel yet. It just took me about an hour to drive 1 block.
I walk from 57th and 5th to the 53rd subway stop on Madison. Car traffic DID NOT MOVE. Like not one car in any direction. Worst I’ve ever seen. The amount of snow caught everyone by surprise I guess. 

I looked at weather.com yesterday and was prepared for today.  Had food in the apartment and haven't left since I got home from work.  It's been a nice night, actually.  Good game tonight.

Any advice on New York entertainment options?

I'm staying in midtown about 1 week a month for the foreseeable future...

Comedy clubs?

Bars with single 30 somethings?

Live music bars?   

I'm usually looking for something to pass the time on Wednesday and Thursday nights.

Any advice on New York entertainment options?

I'm staying in midtown about 1 week a month for the foreseeable future...

Comedy clubs?

Bars with single 30 somethings?

Live music bars?   

I'm usually looking for something to pass the time on Wednesday and Thursday nights.
I enjoyed comedy cellar on macdougal 

How's it looking out there today?  I'm driving up 78 and need to get to around 24th and 6th.  Planning on leaving just after lunch.  Heard horror stories about 78 last night too but Waze is saying all clear to head up now.

How's it looking out there today?  I'm driving up 78 and need to get to around 24th and 6th.  Planning on leaving just after lunch.  Heard horror stories about 78 last night too but Waze is saying all clear to head up now.
Can't help ya, working from home today. I have a 6pm class on 9th ave but I'll be taking the subway in.

didn't make it home yesterday from LGA after white castle and wife's hair cut.  was in airport 10 hours, then slept in garden city, back in JFK today.  look me up for a beer.  lol-AA tried to rebook me from thursday to saturday night, first available, so i spent 400- on a delta ticket for 1.35 today.  honestly, this ordeal is too long to type.  tip, LGA no longer exists.  period.

the city is mostly clear at this point it's around 40 degrees so everything is melting away

the city is mostly clear at this point it's around 40 degrees so everything is melting away

PATH just announced that they are shutting down the WTC station on weekends for the next two years...with one month's notice. 

PATH just announced that they are shutting down the WTC station on weekends for the next two years...with one month's notice. 
sounds right. :wall:

The PATH is the worst part of living in Hoboken
we did a staycation in jersey city for a night over thanksgiving. was amazed at the ease of getting from WTC to that first stop (hotel was right next to the station). I guess that all changes.

Oof.  Why are they shutting down again?  
Sandy repairs. Although I'm pretty sure they allegedly did that a couple years ago for that particular tunnel. 

This really doesn't affect me, I barely go into the city on weekends and when I do, if I'm not driving in or just taking the bus from my place uptown, I go for the 33rd street line. 

But it's a real ####ty thing to do with such little advance notice. Let people plan ahead.

sounds right. :wall:

we did a staycation in jersey city for a night over thanksgiving. was amazed at the ease of getting from WTC to that first stop (hotel was right next to the station). I guess that all changes.
When it runs properly, it can be good.  It's not a large or complex system like the NYC subway system so it doesn't take long to get where you need to go, but it should also be easier to manage.  The problem is that it seems like there are issues almost every day for the past several years.  It's become very frustrating at this point.  So many "signal problems" that everyone now thinks it's just code for "we're not telling you the real problem because you will think we're incompetent."

Also, the Hoboken stop has become very overcrowded.  Every day you have to deal with tightly packed cars.  When there are delays, which is frequent, you might not be able to get on the 1st train that comes by after you get to the station.

When it runs properly, it can be good.  It's not a large or complex system like the NYC subway system so it doesn't take long to get where you need to go, but it should also be easier to manage.  The problem is that it seems like there are issues almost every day for the past several years.  It's become very frustrating at this point.  So many "signal problems" that everyone now thinks it's just code for "we're not telling you the real problem because you will think we're incompetent."

Also, the Hoboken stop has become very overcrowded.  Every day you have to deal with tightly packed cars.  When there are delays, which is frequent, you might not be able to get on the 1st train that comes by after you get to the station.
so basically, the NYC subway.

I'm heading down near Washington Square Park on Sunday for a little afternoon Christmas gathering. Any nice little intimate Italian restaurants around there I can go afterwards with my wife?

I'm heading down near Washington Square Park on Sunday for a little afternoon Christmas gathering. Any nice little intimate Italian restaurants around there I can go afterwards with my wife?
Babbo is the one of the best and a block away but can get expensive and probably tough to get a table this late in the game.  I'll also recommend one of my friend's restaurants L'Artusi.  Small intimate spot and about a 10 minute walk.  https://www.lartusi.com

La lanterna something...MacDougall?

Bar pitti... 6th

Babbo & il mulino a bit pricey but great

Il buco is a short walk in noho on bond my fave

I'll check this one out. Just what I was looking for. And it's a block away from where I'll be (Players Theater) :thumbup:  
Great. Iirc, low key but good spot. Others are a bit more upscale/fancy.

emilios ballato is a classic, but on Houston a bit further away. Still walking distance.

These photos gave me a laugh.  Can only imagine Floppo being stuck up there yelling at people to keep to the right.  

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/york-city-issues-warning-not-174700320.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_13

There are so many fun things to do in New York City during the holidays, like seeing the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree, or watching the Rockettes do their high kicks. Strolling the Brooklyn Bridge isn't traditionally a popular December activity-it gets pretty blustery up there!-and yet, the walkway got so insanely packed this holiday week that the city had to issue a warning to visitors and residents alike.

"The Brooklyn Bridge is very crowded at the moment. While this is not an emergency situation, please exercise caution if you are on the bridge and expect long wait times if you intend to visit this afternoon," tweeted the office of New York mayor Bill de Blasio. "But there are tons of places to walk on this beautiful New York day!"

While the warning sounded calm, the photos tweeted by people who were actually walking across the bridge at the time told a different story.

Went up to Arthur Ave. yesterday for dinner. It's starting to be encroached upon from the surrounding area but is still decidedly Italian. Really great meal at Zero Otto Nove. Great price too, $136, considering we had a bottle of wine and shared an appetizer and dessert too. I thought parking might be easier on a Sunday afternoon but was dead wrong.

I'm working on a photo project and was wondering, how close does the Staten Island ferry get to the Statue of Liberty? Close enough for some good pictures?

I'm working on a photo project and was wondering, how close does the Staten Island ferry get to the Statue of Liberty? Close enough for some good pictures?
Pretty good view imo

Your not gonna throw a rock at it but you can see it. Just nake sure to get on the proper side of the ferry as it can get crowded with the selfie crowd.

Check staten island ferry on tripadvisor and you will see the types of pics people are able to get of the statue.

Major said:
These photos gave me a laugh.  Can only imagine Floppo being stuck up there yelling at people to keep to the right.  

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/york-city-issues-warning-not-174700320.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_13

There are so many fun things to do in New York City during the holidays, like seeing the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree, or watching the Rockettes do their high kicks. Strolling the Brooklyn Bridge isn't traditionally a popular December activity-it gets pretty blustery up there!-and yet, the walkway got so insanely packed this holiday week that the city had to issue a warning to visitors and residents alike.

"The Brooklyn Bridge is very crowded at the moment. While this is not an emergency situation, please exercise caution if you are on the bridge and expect long wait times if you intend to visit this afternoon," tweeted the office of New York mayor Bill de Blasio. "But there are tons of places to walk on this beautiful New York day!"

While the warning sounded calm, the photos tweeted by people who were actually walking across the bridge at the time told a different story.
there's a line around the corner waiting to get into katz's.

can't do anything, go anywhere any more without this bs. this city has gone to ultima thule ####.

REPRIEVE!

Rather than the long-anticipated complete year-plus closure of the tunnel — which was expected to plunge cross-borough commutes into chaos starting April 27 — Cuomo backed a longer-term overhaul that would close one of the tunnel’s two tubes at a time on nights and weekends, leaving the line fully operational during weekdays.

“The simple fact is you have roughly 250,000 people who are going to need another way to work,” Cuomo said at a Thursday press briefing. “Fifteen months sounds like a relatively short period of time, but it’s not if you’re doing it one day at a time trying to get to work.”
don't remember if any of you would've been affected by this directly as a L train riders... but as F riders, I know the overflow from the L asylum-seekers would've crushed the F line which is already packed at rush hour.

I know so many people who have already moved out of the area because of the anticipated shutdown and resulting chaos.

Users who are viewing this thread