Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
jamny

***New York***

You were all over my hood. Pig and Khao and French both right by...and never been to either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

You were all over my hood. Pig and Khao and French both right by...and never been to either.

Can’t speak to anything other than brunch but both are awesome for that. I can see pig & khao’s overall menu crushing it at all times, though. Very vefy very good food. Everyone ordered something different but all were raved about. 

In hindsight, our waiter at PMF (jeremy) actually took the owner of P&K to prom and they dated back in the day.  Small world :lol: 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1

Sounds like a great trip- glad it worked out (other than Peter Luger)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, [icon] said:

Can’t speak to anything other than brunch but both are awesome for that. I can see pig & khao’s overall menu crushing it at all times, though. Very vefy very good food. Everyone ordered something different but all were raves about. 

The wife isn't into it... :( So some of us starve

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Pig and Khao is sooooo good.  You can get a whole pig if you have a large group(i think 8 or more people) and then they make all sorts of stuff with it.  its ridiculous!  If you like filipino food Jeepney is also excellent. the sisig and Pig and Khao is one of the best i have had though. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Never been a huge fan of Luger. Raoul’s still has the best steak in the city. 

Love the Steak au Poivre there as well as the scene but I think there are better steaks in the city.  Will agree on Luger's as it is a bit too high on itself and the service sucks.  If I am going to spend that much on dinner I want good service.  

Edited by Redwes25

6 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Love the Steak au Poivre there as well as the scene but I think there are better steaks in the city.  Will agree on Luger's as it is a bit too high n itself and the service sucks.  If I am going to spend that much on dinner I want good service.  

That's the steak I'm talking about.   ?

Clinton's & Obama's also targeted

My hatred for the MTA is becoming unbearable!

Sitting in a taxi right now bc they left a 4 train sitting at Bowling Green for 15 minutes, then kicked us off with no explanation, and the next 3 trains that came all turned around to head north. Finally got an explanation, some ####### is on the tracks at Franklin Ave.

1) Hit the guy, world needs more Darwin winners

2) More realistically, that’s like 7 or 10 stops into Brooklyn, your contingency plan is to turn all trains around? How about circumventing the area the moron is on the tracks? Wouldn’t that be smarter than kicking 4 full trains of commuters off and no updates on when they’re going into Brooklyn again?

Most mismanaged ####ty organization on Earth!! 3rd time in the last 7 days my commute has taken over 90 minutes, door to door I’m supposed to be 25-30 minutes, depending on how bad service is maybe 35 minutes tops. Now I’m sitting in a cab in bumper to bumper traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge. I was 3 ####### minutes from my stop, but since someone is on the tracks 27 miles away, let’s just turn this train around, mmmkay?

If I’m gonna have a 90 minute commute, I might as well live in castle in NJ, with a top notch school system to boot. This bridge traffic is a ####### standstill, I’m slightly frustrated right now. Nothing like donating 90 minutes of my time after work due to the incompetence of the worst run agency that ever existed.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 11:28 AM, Gawain said:

Apparently a bomb at CNN HQ?

West side up 8th just had a bunch of police activity.

Buddy works there, had to race down like 40 flights of stairs. Said it was a panic in the building.

2 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Sitting in a taxi right now bc they left a 4 train sitting at Bowling Green for 15 minutes, then kicked us off with no explanation, and the next 3 trains that came all turned around to head north. Finally got an explanation, some ####### is on the tracks at Franklin Ave.

2) More realistically, that’s like 7 or 10 stops into Brooklyn, your contingency plan is to turn all trains around? How about circumventing the area the moron is on the tracks? Wouldn’t that be smarter than kicking 4 full trains of commuters off and no updates on when they’re going into Brooklyn again?

Most mismanaged ####ty organization on Earth!! 3rd time in the last 7 days my commute has taken over 90 minutes, door to door I’m supposed to be 25-30 minutes, depending on how bad service is maybe 35 minutes tops. Now I’m sitting in a cab in bumper to bumper traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge. I was 3 ####### minutes from my stop, but since someone is on the tracks 27 miles away, let’s just turn this train around, mmmkay?

If I’m gonna have a 90 minute commute, I might as well live in castle in NJ, with a top notch school system to boot. This bridge traffic is a ####### standstill, I’m slightly frustrated right now. Nothing like donating 90 minutes of my time after work due to the incompetence of the worst run agency that ever existed.

:ptts:

4 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

No no no. Hitting the guy = maximum delay, like what happened on the G on Halloween. Release the dogs. Get the walker. 

And lol at “circumventing the area” in tunnels designed by people who’d never seen a satellite photo. 

Not sure if any of you are following the proposed shift in application process to NYCs specialized HSs, like Stuy or Bronx science?

Currently, acceptance is solely based on results of the SHSAT test. That's it. No grades. No attendance. No essay. No letters of rec. Just the test score.

I'm not a fan. But...the proposal calls for accepting kids based on their ranking in their own MS, with a limit of 7% of that graduating MS class allowed. 

That would mean floppinhos class of 14 kids, only 1 gets in.

4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Not sure if any of you are following the proposed shift in application process to NYCs specialized HSs, like Stuy or Bronx science?

Currently, acceptance is solely based on results of the SHSAT test. That's it. No grades. No attendance. No essay. No letters of rec. Just the test score.

I'm not a fan. But...the proposal calls for accepting kids based on their ranking in their own MS, with a limit of 7% of that graduating MS class allowed. 

That would mean floppinhos class of 14 kids, only 1 gets in.

Do grades. attendance, the ability to articulate why you deserve admittance into the school, and letters of recommendation really matter?  IMO schools should base their decisions solely on the amount of shelves the family has in it's apartment or house.  Shelves are cheap and you can easily put them up yourself so it wouldn't favor one demographic over another.

• Thinking 1

1 minute ago, RC94 said:

Do grades. attendance, the ability to articulate why you deserve admittance into the school, and letters of recommendation really matter?  IMO schools should base their decisions solely on the amount of shelves the family has in it's apartment or house.  Shelves are cheap and you can easily put them up yourself so it wouldn't favor one demographic over another.

:lol:

it's interesting- I don't like the idea of this test being a catch-all. some smart kids aren't test-takers, and some dumb kids can pass a test if their parents pay enough for them to prep (or if they prep hard enough, paying or not). 

but to a person, every alum I've talked to from one of these schools HATES the idea of changing it all. feel like it would lower the standard of the kids gaining entry, and thus lower the standard of the schools and destroy what they all experienced as an amazing education- an educatino that opened doors to opportunities for college they may not have had opened otherwise. they all espouse some version of- "they're trying to fix the wrong thing- instead of lower the level of the elite schools, why not raise the level of the rest of the schools". what made the schools so great for them was that they were surrounded by type A over-achieving students who all pushed each other higher. they worry that admittance of lower level students will pull everybody down.

I can't disagree with that sentiment, but I also don't see how broadening the enrollment criteria necessarily lowers the standards... although it probably does if the DOE/Diblasio's version is only about being the top whatever percent of your graduating class and doesn't look at a bigger picture. the bottom line for Diblasio seems to be about trying to address the continuing decrease in black and hispanic enrollment- which I appreciate. and while I'd hate to see them break something that already works in these specialized HSs... something clearly ISN'T working and needs to be addressed.

in my completely uninformed opinion- open the criteria to other factors that include all of the above. weight it heavily to the test- 70% or something- but include those other elements that better define a student (to me) and person. 

I agree with you.  I don't see the argument for including things like grades, attendance, essay, and letters of recommendation as criteria equating to lower standards.  Do they have any data to support that claim?  Maybe it's that change means more work for them.  Context and merit make sense to me.  Maybe put a constraint on letters of recommendation where they would have to be from a school staff member so it wouldn't favor someone who's family is friends with a senator.  If a student did well in the face of adversity, that could help and they can convey that in the essay.  IMO adding more context and merit criteria would raise the standard of the student and give kids from under-represented neighborhoods a better chance of getting in. 

• Like 1

I think it might be time for another restaurant post.  I have mentioned this before, but a friend of mine from Cincinnati comes to visit his NYC office for a week every month and we try to get together for lunch when he's here.  We go to a different kind of restaurant every time (except dim sum twice) and at this point it's been about 35 restaurants, all different kinds of food.  It's the kind of thing that makes NYC special IMO.  After a while we realized we needed to put together a list of the places we have been to, and I want to share that with you.  It's been about 4 years at this point so some of these places may not be open anymore.  The parameters, aside from trying a different kind of food each time is that, except for 1 place, it's for lunch (a lot of good restaurants are only open for dinner during the week), and for the most part it's within my budget (his budget would be higher).  This doesn't include the places we didn't like, but that was only 3 or 4:

Lupa:

Caracas Arepa Bar

The Coffee Shop

Veselka

Golden Unicorn:

Jing Fong:

Katz’s Deli

Tuck Shop

Casa Restaurant

Miss Lily’s 7A

Nirvana

The Spotted Pig

La Loteria

ilili

Cafe Mogador

Saigon Shack

Grill 21

Turkish Kitchen

Reichenbach Hall

Sevilla Restaurant

Amélie

Mary’s Fish Camp

Dhaulagiri Kitchen

Meskerem Ethiopian Cuisine

Churrascaria Plataforma

Kopi Kopi

Ramen-Ya (Ippudo was closed for renovations.  Ippudo is better)

Periyali

Thai Villa

Ootoya

Pio Pio 7

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks RC94!

Updated the OP with a link to your post.

• Like 1

That's great- thanks RC.

A bunch in my neck of the nape. I assume you threw up in our doorway like good EVil visitors do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

That's great- thanks RC.

A bunch in my neck of the nape. I assume you threw up in our doorway like good EVil visitors do.

I only did that twice.  I try to restrain myself, but I knew you would like the added "atmosphere".

• Like 1

I'm going to be in Boston for a week starting thanksgiving day. I'd like to take a train to the city for a meal and a show. Anything really good that doesn't cost $500 or does anyone have Hamilton tickets to give away?

Advice on training in from boston?

16 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

I'm going to be in Boston for a week starting thanksgiving day. I'd like to take a train to the city for a meal and a show. Anything really good that doesn't cost $500 or does anyone have Hamilton tickets to give away?

This year I started taking the train when traveling to Boston as opposed to flying, love the train so much more. My company pays, so it is solely based on experience (although, train is typically the cheaper route). Take the Acela, it is about $100 each way or $200 for first class(depending on day/time). Only reason I'll take first class is bc it isn't my dime, I looked at the regular seats and I think the difference is negligible, slightly less crowded, a meal, but that is really it. 

From Boston to NY, sit on the left side of the train, really nice relaxing coastal scenic route. 

3 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

This year I started taking the train when traveling to Boston as opposed to flying, love the train so much more. My company pays, so it is solely based on experience (although, train is typically the cheaper route). Take the Acela, it is about $100 each way or $200 for first class(depending on day/time). Only reason I'll take first class is bc it isn't my dime, I looked at the regular seats and I think the difference is negligible, slightly less crowded, a meal, but that is really it. 

From Boston to NY, sit on the left side of the train, really nice relaxing coastal scenic route. 

thanks. How long is the trip. Is Penn Station the terminus? How many times a day does it run?

3 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

+1 on the Acela.  It’s also faster.  But still takes a bit of time(i want to say roughly  4 hours).  You are staying overnight i presume?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PinkydaPimp said:

+1 on the Acela.  It’s also faster.  But still takes a bit of time(i want to say roughly  4 hours).  You are staying overnight i presume?  

unsure. but probably since I don't want to spend eight hours on a train in a single day

2 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

unsure. but probably since I don't want to spend eight hours on a train in a single day

Yea i would definitely do that.  Otherwise it will be a super long day.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

thanks. How long is the trip. Is Penn Station the terminus? How many times a day does it run?

Numerous times a day, prob at least a dozen. If you pick one with minimal stops, you could find one going a little over 3.5 hours, typically gonna be about 4 hours. 

Yes Penn Station, stops at a few in Boston, end of the line is Back Bay (I believe).

• Like 1

another +1 on train (we go to DC, roughly the same trip). acela is 1/2 hour faster and IIRC, guaranteed seat. 

flying the shuttle used to be faster and roughly the same price. now, with security bs taking up so much time and increased airline fares, there's no point (plus more expensive taxi ride to airport vs penn). I like getting up and walking around on the train- plus more comfortable seat w/ wifi and beer/wine/food- and as fc mentioned, decent views at times.

Wow, Acela takes 4 hours? This got me thinking about trying that next time we go to Boston but I would rather drive. Takes about as long.

@cosjobs

Just read through the other comments. 

I'll note, I've made the round trip once before without spending the night. Not going to lie, it was a long day, but I needed to be back in NYC. Nonetheless, train is super comfortable, big roomy chair, a table, wifi - you could take a comfortable nap. I'd weigh the pros/cons. If you take a 630am train, and the last train of the night, you'll save about $100-$150 round trip per traveler. The early and late trains also are typically the fastest. Obviously also save a few hundred on an NYC hotel, although, IDK if you're staying in a hotel in Boston, so that cost might be negligible.

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

another +1 on train (we go to DC, roughly the same trip). acela is 1/2 hour faster and IIRC, guaranteed seat. 

flying the shuttle used to be faster and roughly the same price. now, with security bs taking up so much time and increased airline fares, there's no point (plus more expensive taxi ride to airport vs penn). I like getting up and walking around on the train- plus more comfortable seat w/ wifi and beer/wine/food- and as fc mentioned, decent views at times.

I'll never fly to DC or Boston ever again. Train is such a better experience, IMO. 

• Like 2

I'm not traveling as much as I used to but I was always 100% Acela between NY-DC and basically 50/50 for NY-BOS between train and flying depending on timing or whatever I had going on. 

Think that's pretty typical because the difference in price between the two is significant despite the Boston trip being a good deal longer. 

I don't remember the last time my DC Acela tickets were under $350 RT. I had a trip a few months back that was booked last minute and it ended up being like $475 total.

Edited by RUSF18

1 hour ago, RUSF18 said:

I'm not traveling as much as I used to but I was always 100% Acela between NY-DC and basically 50/50 for NY-BOS between train and flying depending on timing or whatever I had going on. 

Think that's pretty typical because the difference in price between the two is significant despite the Boston trip being a good deal longer. 

I don't remember the last time my DC Acela tickets were under $350 RT. I had a trip a few months back that was booked last minute and it ended up being like $475 total.

I planned on going Sunday and the cheapest one way seat was the first class for $316. So I'm going MOnday for about 75.

When renting a car, I've actually flown into Newark to avoid Logan. No rental this time, so I'll white knuckle Logan

3 hours ago, cosjobs said:

Went to see School Girls; or, The African Mean Girls play last week at the MCC Theater. Great play. Only 90 minutes with no intermission. Entertaining and a little disturbing at the same time.

I did the opposite. I was in NYC on Monday/Tuesday and had to be up in Boston on Wednesday. Took the train from Penn Station to Boston Back Bay. It was about a 4 hour trip in business. I thought about 1st class but in reading reviews, it just wasn't worth it. Took the Acela and had adequate space. It's a 2x2 configuration in Business with a tray table and outlets. While it wasn't 100% packed, it was close but I still managed to have the seat next to me (by the window) the whole time because I just piled my #### there and then blew my nose and coughed at every stop so anyone getting on would look elsewhere. :lmao:

• Like 2

fwiw- get a porter, give them what you have in your wallet that isn't a 20 (we usually give around 10-15- family of 4 with bags) and get taken to the platform before the crowd is allowed down there so you can get best possible seat.

• Like 2

What a mess in the city. I'm trying to get to Jersey for a job, I live one exit out of the Midtown Tunnel in Queens and it's taken me 2 and a hal hours and I'm not even at the Holland Tunnel yet. It just took me about an hour to drive 1 block.

3 hours ago, jamny said:

What a mess in the city. I'm trying to get to Jersey for a job, I live one exit out of the Midtown Tunnel in Queens and it's taken me 2 and a hal hours and I'm not even at the Holland Tunnel yet. It just took me about an hour to drive 1 block.

I walk from 57th and 5th to the 53rd subway stop on Madison. Car traffic DID NOT MOVE. Like not one car in any direction. Worst I’ve ever seen. The amount of snow caught everyone by surprise I guess. 

• Like 1

I looked at weather.com yesterday and was prepared for today.  Had food in the apartment and haven't left since I got home from work.  It's been a nice night, actually.  Good game tonight.

Edited by RC94

Any advice on New York entertainment options?

I'm staying in midtown about 1 week a month for the foreseeable future...

Comedy clubs?

Bars with single 30 somethings?

Live music bars?   

I'm usually looking for something to pass the time on Wednesday and Thursday nights.

5 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Any advice on New York entertainment options?

I'm staying in midtown about 1 week a month for the foreseeable future...

Comedy clubs?

Bars with single 30 somethings?

Live music bars?   

I'm usually looking for something to pass the time on Wednesday and Thursday nights.

I enjoyed comedy cellar on macdougal 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Comedy clubs?

Carolines on Broadway and 50th

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jamny said:

How's it looking out there today?  I'm driving up 78 and need to get to around 24th and 6th.  Planning on leaving just after lunch.  Heard horror stories about 78 last night too but Waze is saying all clear to head up now.

7 minutes ago, Lehigh98 said:

How's it looking out there today?  I'm driving up 78 and need to get to around 24th and 6th.  Planning on leaving just after lunch.  Heard horror stories about 78 last night too but Waze is saying all clear to head up now.

Can't help ya, working from home today. I have a 6pm class on 9th ave but I'll be taking the subway in.

didn't make it home yesterday from LGA after white castle and wife's hair cut.  was in airport 10 hours, then slept in garden city, back in JFK today.  look me up for a beer.  lol-AA tried to rebook me from thursday to saturday night, first available, so i spent 400- on a delta ticket for 1.35 today.  honestly, this ordeal is too long to type.  tip, LGA no longer exists.  period.

1 hour ago, Lehigh98 said:

the city is mostly clear at this point it's around 40 degrees so everything is melting away

1 hour ago, Lehigh98 said:

the city is mostly clear at this point it's around 40 degrees so everything is melting away