What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (2 Viewers)

Nick Vermeil said:
The biker stayed with her until the paramedics arrived. He is a delivery man for an “app delivery service” who lives in a Brooklyn homeless shelter. He claims there was a problem with the brakes on his bike which he doesn’t own. He was sited for running the red light but now will likely be charged with vehicular manslaughter. 
Sounds like an unfortunate situation all around.   Can't imagine how tough that would be to have someone pass like this whether an employee, friend or family member.  Really sorry for your loss Nick.  

My daughter moved to the City for work. Heading there Monday for business so can see her. Looking for a good restaurant in midtown on Monday then maybe a place for lighter fare on Wed after 8pm (rooftop, tapas.etc). Any recommendations?

The biker stayed with her until the paramedics arrived. He is a delivery man for an “app delivery service” who lives in a Brooklyn homeless shelter. He claims there was a problem with the brakes on his bike which he doesn’t own. He was sited for running the red light but now will likely be charged with vehicular manslaughter. 
Sorry to hear this story it is so sad. They do need to crack down on those delivery bikes and treat them like motorcycles with similar licensing requirements. They should not be treated like bikes as those things can go very fast. 

My daughter moved to the City for work. Heading there Monday for business so can see her. Looking for a good restaurant in midtown on Monday then maybe a place for lighter fare on Wed after 8pm (rooftop, tapas.etc). Any recommendations?
How "good" for the good meal in terms of price? Any type of food preferences? For after 8, still looking at midtown?

I'm really sorry to hear that.  Did they arrest the bike rider?  Unfortunately, the ones like Floppo who follow the rules are few and far between.  I've been hit by bike riders running reds and going the wrong way down a 1 way street, but thankfully never been injured that badly.  You, and her family and friends have my condolences.  I really hope the bike rider was caught and is going to jail.
Wish I could say I follow the rules... I don't. But- when I break them, I make sure nobody's affected by my transgression, especially pedestrians. When I run red lights, I approach each crosswalk and the street as yielding, stopping if necessary. My goal is to have people not have to react to me at all- no stopping short for them, or even slowing or blinking. If the pedestrian or car has to even blink, I've done it wrong. But I do get it wrong occasionally. I ride aggressively, but very defensively if that makes sense. 

Sorry to hear this story it is so sad. They do need to crack down on those delivery bikes and treat them like motorcycles with similar licensing requirements. They should not be treated like bikes as those things can go very fast. 
It's a tough spot for those bikes. You're right- they go faster AND are heavier than standard bikes, so will cause even more damage. But a lot of them aren't as fast as cars, so should still be in the bike lanes. They just need to drive the things better.

With nice weather, fair weather bike riders are back on the citibikes,  and the bike lanes especially have become much more dangerous with crowding and people on bikes who just aren't used to being on them. Be careful out there all

Wish I could say I follow the rules... I don't. But- when I break them, I make sure nobody's affected by my transgression, especially pedestrians. When I run red lights, I approach each crosswalk and the street as yielding, stopping if necessary. My goal is to have people not have to react to me at all- no stopping short for them, or even slowing or blinking. If the pedestrian or car has to even blink, I've done it wrong. But I do get it wrong occasionally. I ride aggressively, but very defensively if that makes sense. 

It's a tough spot for those bikes. You're right- they go faster AND are heavier than standard bikes, so will cause even more damage. But a lot of them aren't as fast as cars, so should still be in the bike lanes. They just need to drive the things better.

With nice weather, fair weather bike riders are back on the citibikes,  and the bike lanes especially have become much more dangerous with crowding and people on bikes who just aren't used to being on them. Be careful out there all
A lot of these things can go 30 miles an hour.  Sorry, if going that speed they should not be in the bike lanes.  Also, they are really illegal in the NYC but the laws are not enforced.  

Redwes25 said:
A lot of these things can go 30 miles an hour.  Sorry, if going that speed they should not be in the bike lanes.  Also, they are really illegal in the NYC but the laws are not enforced.  
if they're going 30, they're going speed of car traffic- totally agree they should be out of the bike lanes (where they wouldn't be able to react to pedestrians who always walk into the bike lanes without looking) and on the street.

I didn't know they were illegal. what aspect of them?

and the worst are the guys who are still riding on sidewalks- much rarer than the old days, but still a thing.

if they're going 30, they're going speed of car traffic- totally agree they should be out of the bike lanes (where they wouldn't be able to react to pedestrians who always walk into the bike lanes without looking) and on the street.

I didn't know they were illegal. what aspect of them?

and the worst are the guys who are still riding on sidewalks- much rarer than the old days, but still a thing.
My understanding is that you can have pedal assisted bikes (the electic motor can help you like the Citi Bikes they just removed from service) but if they are just powered by an engine they need to be treated like a motorcycle.  Most of these things are the former but the delivery guys pretend to bike when they see cops.  

RC94 said:
If you're going to a show and are on the west side of midtown, I recommend Churrascaria Plataforma (Brazilian steakhouse):  https://www.yelp.com/biz/churrascaria-plataforma-new-york-3

If you're going to be more on the east side of midtown, try Aquavit (Michelin star winning Scandinavian food): https://www.yelp.com/biz/aquavit-new-york 
Awesome - thank you.  I'll book one of these Monday night. Wednesday night we are going to Tanner Smith's for a speakeasy vibe and then on to the late show at Comedy Cellar (Dave Attell and others).  Should be fun.

Awesome - thank you.  I'll book one of these Monday night. Wednesday night we are going to Tanner Smith's for a speakeasy vibe and then on to the late show at Comedy Cellar (Dave Attell and others).  Should be fun.
If you want serious eats and money's not an issue- aquavit, le Bernadin, per se, Bouley, 

I would like to see the analysis that is telling De Blasio that this is a good idea:  https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/york-city-mayor-bill-de-blasio-announce-2020/story?id=63007952&cid=clicksource_4380645_null_headlines_hed

He hasn't been a good mayor and really doesn't have the experience to be a president of the US.  He's going to embarrass himself.  I guess it's good that he won't be in NYC much while campaigning, so more competent people can make the day-to-day decisions of a NYC mayor.

I'm late here but The Modern is a good midtown option for special occasions.  Can't do much better than having a great meal in the MOMA.  https://www.themodernnyc.com

Summer means summer stage in Central Park.

And next Saturday, 11yo floppinho will join a handful of kids from his school of rock group to sing a song with headliners Parquet Courts (one of my favorite recent bands). The kids sang in a studio on the track (death will bring change) for the recent album, wide awake, but never live with the whole band. 

Earlier Same day floppinho performs Radiohead songs with school of rock at the Bitter End. Big day!

📷

My wife is turning 40 in September and I was thinking of taking her on a surprise trip to NYC, see Hamilton, etc.

Neither of us have been to NYC, although we've been to london, paris, tokyo, etc (for whatever that is worth).

Thoughts on where to stay and what to do?  Assume i literally know nothing about NYC.  

Kids will be in school, so we will probably leave from DFW on Thursday and come back on Sunday....maybe one more day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay in Manhattan and do things you're interested in.

Now, give us a little more to work with (hotel budget, daily spending money budget, food preferences, general "this is what we like to do in big cities" interests) and we can point you in a better direction.

📷

My wife is turning 40 in September and I was thinking of taking her on a surprise trip to NYC, see Hamilton, etc.

Neither of us have been to NYC, although we've been to london, paris, tokyo, etc (for whatever that is worth).

Thoughts on where to stay and what to do?  Assume i literally know nothing about NYC.  

Kids will be in school, so we will probably leave from DFW on Thursday and come back on Sunday....maybe one more day.
September is a great time of year here- you'll have a blast. Nice present!

(I'm not trying to blow you off, just a bit bit busy to give full advices now)... Lots of people have asked similar things in this thread, gotten good advice and then even posted more useful trip summaries. I know a lot of this is locals talking boring local stuff, but 'd recommend scanning back a bunch of pages to find some of those trips- some great info by visitors.

Now I feel guilty... Obvious tourist stuff.

World Trade Center memorial. Can shop a little at century 21, walk through the Oculus and go see the statue of liberty (from the river at a short distance). Wall Street bull. Brooklyn bridge. All way downtown nearish each other. (Financial District- FiDi)

The Highline and Chelsea market.(Chelsea)

Central Park and the Met museum. (Upper east side) 

Gotta go...

📷

Nothing better than September in NYC.  The energy in the city with everyone back from their summer vacations is something else not to mention the fantastic weather.  I'd recommend staying Sunday for sure.  It's generally a fun day to take in the city and not stress as much - relax, shop, brunch, etc.  

Definitely stay in Manhattan.  Most hotels will be in midtown/business which is the heart of tourism but won't give you as much of a true NY vibe.   I'd recommend staying in Soho, Flatiron or East Village area to get a more authentic experience and still be centrally located.  It really depends on budget.  If you're a true FBG, just book at The Mercer and call it a day.  

Damn, scary. Hope she's ok.

It's been low visibility all day and heavy rain the last hour. Not going to help Uber get the rooftop ban lifted.
yeah, her people definitely got evacuated safely ... dunno  'bout the other tenants, though

looking across the East River right now, and ya can't see the City - pea soup, i tell ya

any idea if it was trying to land on the roof, or just crashed into the building?

IIRC reading, there was a terrible crash on Grand Central or the Pan Am buidling  in the 60s or 70s with fatalities on the roof and on the street below.

any idea if it was trying to land on the roof, or just crashed into the building?

IIRC reading, there was a terrible crash on Grand Central or the Pan Am buidling  in the 60s or 70s with fatalities on the roof and on the street below.
Apparently they think he was trying to do an emergency landing on the roof. Strange he was even flying today and even stranger he was flying across town towards midtown apparently that is not supposed to happen without special clearance.

My office is connected to the building where the crash happened. I wasn't in today but everyone got evacuated. Office is closed tomorrow as well, as apparently there are problems with the water and AC.

Anyone ever tried 'One if by Land, Tow if by Sea'?  Wife is a huge Hamilton fan and looking for someplace to go for our Anniversary on Sunday night when we're in town.

Anyone ever tried 'One if by Land, Tow if by Sea'?  Wife is a huge Hamilton fan and looking for someplace to go for our Anniversary on Sunday night when we're in town.
it's been ages since I've eaten there... used to be considered the most romantic restaurant. I don't recall it being any more or less romantic than anywhere else, tbh... and I don't recall the food at all- not that I remember it being bad... just don't remember thinking it was "special restaurant" stuff.

it's been ages since I've eaten there... used to be considered the most romantic restaurant. I don't recall it being any more or less romantic than anywhere else, tbh... and I don't recall the food at all- not that I remember it being bad... just don't remember thinking it was "special restaurant" stuff.
Thanks for the info.  Looking for a more romantic spot for a Sunday night meal.  Any recommendations?

Thanks for the info.  Looking for a more romantic spot for a Sunday night meal.  Any recommendations?
off the top of my head- but I'm partial because it's also in my hood... Il buco (bond st).

just googled romantic restaurants- and my memory and I are wrong about 2 if by sea... it is a nice looking place for a date. can't recall the food- but I'm sure it was fine.

eta: just remembered my old go-to, Bouley, has a newish spot in chelsea... something like Bouley at Home... that we ate recently- very good, and kind of cozy/romantic.

What Flop said.  I think it used to be a thing many years ago, the place you go to engaged, etc but honestly I forgot it was still in business.  More atmosphere than anything.  That being said, you could do a lot worse and if you're wife really wants to go there, you'll still be satisfied.  

I went there a long time ago and I agree with Floppo - it's not any more romantic than other places.  I was in my mid-20s and we were half the age of anyone else there.  I also remember they have the fire going in the fireplaces and I found it hot.  The food was good and the atmosphere was nice, but it's not some special place.

Try to stay cool this weekend, people.

We're going to take a road trip up to Bear Mountain to hopefully beat the heat a little. Probably will be tons of traffic and packed with people but it's better than sitting around the house all weekend. Hopefully.

Try to stay cool this weekend, people.

We're going to take a road trip up to Bear Mountain to hopefully beat the heat a little. Probably will be tons of traffic and packed with people but it's better than sitting around the house all weekend. Hopefully.
Love cruising up there as a quick retreat from all this concrete.  Rt 202 is a beautiful road that hugs the east side of the river leading up to the Bear Mountain Bridge. Also, for a beautiful scenic view, take a quick drive up to Perkins Memorial Tower. On a clear day you’ll be able to see the city. 

Love cruising up there as a quick retreat from all this concrete.  Rt 202 is a beautiful road that hugs the east side of the river leading up to the Bear Mountain Bridge. Also, for a beautiful scenic view, take a quick drive up to Perkins Memorial Tower. On a clear day you’ll be able to see the city. 
Is Seven Lakes Drive a nice ride through the middle of Harriman State Park? Thanks for the tip on Perkins Tower.

Is Seven Lakes Drive a nice ride through the middle of Harriman State Park? Thanks for the tip on Perkins Tower.
Yes, also a very beautiful drive. There’s even a couple swimming spots (they’ll likely be crowded) at Tiorati lake and Lake Welch Beach. I believe there’s a fee for parking during the summer. 

so a guy just places a few rice cookers around fulton subway station? 

great they were empty, but jfc- please lock this guy up. at best, trying to cause hysteria- at worst, a dry run. 

if I saw one of those just sitting around I'd be sprinting the other direction.

Heading there this weekend with wife and kid.

They want to do 9/11 memorial and statue of liberty.

Staying at Marriott near trade center.  How big of a pain will Friday morning be driving in?

Best way to get to empire State from there?

Staying at Marriott near trade center.  How big of a pain will Friday morning be driving in?

What time in the morning will you be driving in?  If before 7 or after say 10 you might be ok.  During rush hour is a roll of the dice.  Friday’s are usually better during summer but still might take a while.  

Subway is your best bet.  Lots of trains by the wtc to get you up to the Empire State Building.  Google maps or the transit app will bring you door to door.  Have fun.

subway from cortland (in front of Hilton across from WTC)- R or W to herald square, 34th st. 

agree with pinky- rolling the dice trying to fight rush-hour traffic. better to come in 7ish IMO. 

NYC is overflowing with tourists this summer- if there's a way of pre-booking the statue of liberty trip- ferry, entry, etc- do it now to avoid longer lines and waits (or that it's sold out... not sure if that happens, but these days I wouldn't be surprised). 

eta: and don't stay at 165 Henry St, aka Being John Malkovich offices.

subway from cortland (in front of Hilton across from WTC)- R or W to herald square, 34th st. 

agree with pinky- rolling the dice trying to fight rush-hour traffic. better to come in 7ish IMO. 

NYC is overflowing with tourists this summer- if there's a way of pre-booking the statue of liberty trip- ferry, entry, etc- do it now to avoid longer lines and waits (or that it's sold out... not sure if that happens, but these days I wouldn't be surprised). 

eta: and don't stay at 165 Henry St, aka Being John Malkovich offices.
STaying here

Courtyard by Marriott New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area - 133 Greenwich St, New York, NY

Wife is supposed to be buying the Memorial and Liberty tickets this morning.

Only going to Empire because my daughter wants too.

I plan on leaving my house around 8:30 am.    With no traffic I'm ~ 1:35

Hoping to get to hotel by 10:30 - 11.   We have noon tickets....

Users who are viewing this thread