What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (2 Viewers)

I don't have kids so I'm not sure, but I think there are some museums with interactive exhibits, some of which may be for young kids.  There are websites you can search for activities in NYC for young kids.  I can ask my brother to see if he has looked into it in the past.  
Awesome yea I’ll take any ideas. 

I can recommend plenty of stuff... but I think this trip is more about the parents than the kid (who won't remember any of it at toddler age). There'll be plenty to keep the kid stimulated.

If you guys actually want to do kid stuff, let us know. Bunch of us here have youngish kids.
Yes, more for us but we will add in stuff for him. Maybe a dinosaur exhibit we saw something about. He’s pretty chill whatever we are doing though so that’s a benefit — but plz let me know if you have any good ideas. 

Yes, more for us but we will add in stuff for him. Maybe a dinosaur exhibit we saw something about. He’s pretty chill whatever we are doing though so that’s a benefit — but plz let me know if you have any good ideas. 
The Natural History Museum is right off of Central Park, plenty of free interesting stuff there.

Capella said:
Lol at per se. already dreading not being able to hit a show. 
The gazillion bubble show might work...check on recommended ages.

There's a children's museum on the upper west side- interactive stuff with some brand tie-ins.

There's also the children's museum of art (CMA) lower west (west Soho) where it's about making art.

Natural history museum has a not well known interactive kids room on the bottom floor (nearish hall of gems and big canoe, iirc) that has limited occupancy- you get a free ticket at the entrance to the room that gets you in at a prescribed time later for half hour iirc. Plus, dinosaurs and lots of other stuff (stuffed animals, mostly). It's a good bet here, although probably crowded as it will be everywhere you go.

And Jr might be one of the few people on the planet who might enjoy the characters in times square.

If the weather's nice, Central Park zoo is always a winner too. And some playgrounds nearby to get his yayas out.

There's a children's museum on the upper west side- interactive stuff with some brand tie-ins.

There's also the children's museum of art (CMA) lower west (west Soho) where it's about making art.

Natural history museum has a not well known interactive kids room on the bottom floor (nearish hall of gems and big canoe, iirc) that has limited occupancy- you get a free ticket at the entrance to the room that gets you in at a prescribed time later for half hour iirc. Plus, dinosaurs and lots of other stuff (stuffed animals, mostly). It's a good bet here, although probably crowded as it will be everywhere you go.
This is the one I meant. 

And Jr might be one of the few people on the planet who might enjoy the characters in times square.

If the weather's nice, Central Park zoo is always a winner too. And some playgrounds nearby to get his yayas out.
What 2 yr old doesn't enjoy the showgirls with pasties at Times Square?

These are all great — added them to my notes, thanks. He’s in love with dinosaurs right now so he’ll flip for that. Also, Central park zoo is a go 

Not yet. Pricey, and pretty much an Instagram photo-op... right? Is there fun stuff for a toddler to do there? Every time I've looked, I come away thinking there's not much for my kids to do...but happy to be proved wrong
I read about that place. Seems like a millennial IG photo op. 

Read up thread man. 

(pretty fun diversion if you 1) like sweets, 2) like colors, 3) like ball pits, 4) have all your shots. Not for toddlers.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great and all, but I doubt anything changes. "PR push" is less useful to morons than beat cops, imo. Dunno how my kids sleep through the nightly drunken idiotic mayhem that happens outside their windows on Houston St. But they have also learned to dodge the pools of vomit in our doorway most mornings.

METRO
De Blasio announces LES nightlife crackdown
By Julia Marsh

October 22, 2019 | 7:05pm

Mayor Bill de Blasio has a message for people partying on the Lower East Side — keep it down out there.

Like an angry neighbor rapping on the ceiling with a broomstick, hizzoner told tipsy revelers Tuesday to turn down the volume on the good times as they bar hop along Ludlow and Orchard streets.

“The world loves New York nightlife, but we also have to take care of the New Yorkers who live where others play,” said de Blasio as he announced a new nightlife crackdown in the once gritty neighborhood, which is now home to numerous multi-million condos.

“We don’t want noise in the middle of the night that’s not fair to the community,” added mayor said before joining his nightlife czar Ariel Palitz for a beer.

De Blasio made the announcement at the legendary Max Fish bar on Orchard Street, a 30-year-old venue where poor artists and skate punks once rubbed elbows and shot pool with celebrities like Johnny Depp and James Gandolfini.

Today it sits across from a boutique that sells $170 cotton pajamas.

The new push for peace and quiet — dubbed the “Night Owl etiquette campaign” — includes more “no standing zones” to reduce traffic congestion and noise, additional street cleaning, and a public relations push to make sure the masses are on the best behavior in the wealthy and gentrified nabe.

PSAs will “urge patrons to use common-sense nightlife consideration including keeping sound to a minimum and keeping sidewalks clean and clear.”

“Your night out is someone’s night in,” reads one ad.

Any thoughts on the following 3 restaurants?  Ainsworth, Iron Bar or Pig Beach?  All three are OSU Alumni arranged game watching sites.  Curious about grabbing lunch on Saturday at one to enjoy the game with fellow Buckeyes.

Any thoughts on the following 3 restaurants?  Ainsworth, Iron Bar or Pig Beach?  All three are OSU Alumni arranged game watching sites.  Curious about grabbing lunch on Saturday at one to enjoy the game with fellow Buckeyes.
Pig Beach is great but it's an outdoor venue as far as I know. I've never seen the inside.  

Which Ainsworth? There are a few now. The one on 26th or so is the original and serves as the model for many of the fancy, non dive sports bars that have popped up. Huge place, tons of screens, nice couches, etc. It's basically lounge meets sports bar which brings out the eye candy. You'll probably want to get there early if you want a seat. I imagine their events get good crowds.

Iron Bar is another big space but is close to Times Square so might have a more tourist feel. Food/drinks are solid enough.

Which Ainsworth? There are a few now. The one on 26th or so is the original and serves as the model for many of the fancy, non dive sports bars that have popped up. Huge place, tons of screens, nice couches, etc. It's basically lounge meets sports bar which brings out the eye candy. You'll probably want to get there early if you want a seat. I imagine their events get good crowds.

Iron Bar is another big space but is close to Times Square so might have a more tourist feel. Food/drinks are solid enough.
Fidi

So you New Yorkers, what are a couple of places that when visitors come to town (that you like, that is), you tell them, You HAVE to eat or go here or there?

So you New Yorkers, what are a couple of places that when visitors come to town (that you like, that is), you tell them, You HAVE to eat or go here or there?
I don't think I've ever told somebody they have to ear somewhere...so many options that are good, it's about what they like in terms of food, vibe and price, and then point them. Some of my faves though....

Anything Bouley (Bouley at Home his latest)

Il Buco

Le Bernadin

Per Se (if wallets are fully lock-blowed-offed)

Bond St

Kiki's

Da Umberto

Blue Ribbon Sushi

All great food, each with their own thing. 

Love that post.

I will say though...I've eaten at most/all of the EVil spots and a handful of others. The ones I've eaten at- all of them good, but for me none rising to any higher level. Like- I would never discourage anyone from eating at them, but also wouldn't necessarily think to recommend them either...if that makes sense.

ETA...already disliking what I said here. Love that rc original post.

Can I just say that I hate tourists here, as a tourist that knows how to not be a doosh tourist.
Floppinho had a jazz performance today near times square...had to go twice through that hell hole and try to navigate it's minions.

But weekends are the absolute worst. Cant go anywhere.

El Floppo said:
Love that post.

I will say though...I've eaten at most/all of the EVil spots and a handful of others. The ones I've eaten at- all of them good, but for me none rising to any higher level. Like- I would never discourage anyone from eating at them, but also wouldn't necessarily think to recommend them either...if that makes sense.

ETA...already disliking what I said here. Love that rc original post.
I think the EVil ones in particular are good everyday restaurants, like a place a local would go to regularly, but aren't really places I would say a visitor must try since they would have limited time in the city.  Also, most of them are affordable restaurants by NYC standards.  All of them are open for dinner, but some of them are better for lunch than a night out for dinner.

I think the EVil ones in particular are good everyday restaurants, like a place a local would go to regularly, but aren't really places I would say a visitor must try since they would have limited time in the city.  Also, most of them are affordable restaurants by NYC standards.  All of them are open for dinner, but some of them are better for lunch than a night out for dinner.
Perfectly said.

Thanks for the memories, NYC.  Had a good time.  Went to see Rock of Ages by myself and really really liked that.   Will not miss the horrible hordes of tourists that know not how to walk.

Speaking of restaurants...yet another dagger blow- b-bar will be closing soon, as the site is being developed for more luxury apartments. Because we need more luxury apartments and less neighborhood landmarks.

Speaking of restaurants...yet another dagger blow- b-bar will be closing soon, as the site is being developed for more luxury apartments. Because we need more luxury apartments and less neighborhood landmarks.
I had some good memories there in the early aughts.   Pretty unique space with a great patio and atmosphere.  Good food and drink as well.  RIP

Since this is going to be talked about for awhile and rivals their takedown of Guy Fieri’s place..the scorchingest of scorching hot takes by the NYTimes in their review of Lugar’s

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/dining/peter-luger-review-pete-wells.html
Never understood the fascination.  Good to experience once or to appease your tourist friends but that's about it.  Too much hassle to trek to BK for an average, overpriced steak.  Striphouse on 12th has always been my go to.   

Going to a concert in Brooklyn on a Friday night and then a Knicks game on Saturday night. Need hotel/restaurant suggestions. Looking to spend $150-$250 per night on the hotel. As for food, open to anything other than vegetarian. 

Which side should I stay on?   Looking to be closer to things to do during the day and wont mind spending $$ to uber to get to either event. 

Going to a concert in Brooklyn on a Friday night and then a Knicks game on Saturday night. Need hotel/restaurant suggestions. Looking to spend $150-$250 per night on the hotel. As for food, open to anything other than vegetarian. 

Which side should I stay on?   Looking to be closer to things to do during the day and wont mind spending $$ to uber to get to either event. 
Where's the concert?

Easy to get to the garden via lots of subways (or uber/taxi, depending on time of tipoff).

What kinds of things do you want to do during the days?

I posted this almost five years ago while helping an old friend plan a weeklong NYC trip for a family of five. Doesn’t account for ride shares but everything else is still relevant.

Back on topic...

So one of the original aims of this thread was to share recommendations about NYC, chiefly restaurants. But for non-residents visiting this thread, they're usually just trying to get their arms around how to plan a visit to Manhattan. 

I'm going to copy/paste a series of emails I have been exchanging with a high school buddy/groomsman who is visiting with his wife & 3 kids, with the personal stuff redacted. Some of these are responses to specific questions so it's out of context, but I think it will help first time visitors:

A week should be perfect for you and the family to enjoy the city. I find people who only stay 3-4 days try to pack too much in; always better to go slow and take things in rather than rush around trying to fill an itinerary.

For sightseeing, the double decker buses are a nice way to knock out the major stops. I always strongly recommend Ellis Island over Statue of Liberty - both can be done on the same ferry, but linger at the former. Related - it's a bit out of the way, but the Lower East Side Tenement Museum is an amazing experience. Both will be highlights of your trip.

There are of course several amazing art museums that are worthwhile - Guggenheim, Metropolitan, and MoMA are my personal favorites - but for 10 and under nothing beats American Museum of Natural History. Also, the balloon inflation is on the four blocks surrounding AMNH (Central Park West, W 77th St, Columbus Ave, W 81st St.) If you like smaller museums, the Frick Collection is amazing. Neue Galerie (near the Met) should be on your list as well - relatively new, specializes in German and Austrian art. You should also check out the Whitney Museum of American Art, which is re-locating to the Meatpacking District May 1. It will be right next to the High Line, which is a must see as well.

Restaurants - although I still love Zagat's guides for both dining and shopping, Yelp is an incredible online resource for planning. Can be tough doing meal planning on the go. NYC is relatively expensive but the dining options do run the full spectrum - you can find affordable places to eat if you plan it out.

Other ideas:

Staten Island - Yeah, no. There are interesting things. Chinese Scholar's Garden (sculptures) at Snug Harbor. Richmondtown is a wonderfully preserved period village. I dated a S.I. girl for six years and know the island deeply. But just no. You can take a roundtrip on the Staten Island Ferry to kill an hour, get a NY Harbor perspective, and it's free.

Queens - Again, many interesting sites, though spread out. Science museum, Queens Museum of Art has an amazing model of the entire city, Corona Park and the 1964 World's Fair Pavilion - both near the Billie Jean KIng USTA complex and Citifield - are all cool day trips, but imminently missable. 

Bronx - The New York Botanical Garden is pretty amazing. Not sure when the Holiday Train show begins, if it's that week you should go. Great Italian food along Arthur Avenue right outside NYBC. Bronx Zoo is nearby. It'll be a little cold to take in Wave Hill or Pelham Park. The Cloisters is a pretty cool museum with pretty neat tapestry and amazing vistas. But all of these worthwhile ideas are close to a full day trip, so you have to decide if your family would enjoy it.

Brooklyn - Oh, hell yes. This was my home for eight years and I would love to be your guide for a day on this excursion. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge, eat in DUMBO or Brooklyn Heights. New parks with many activities along the East River. BMA has some great collections, Prospect Park is comparable to Central Park, Brooklyn Academy of Music is the finest avant garde venue in the city. I could write a book on things to do.

Chinatown - plan on half day to stroll through, do some shopping, maybe grab some dim sum. Not far from Lower East Side Tenement Museum.

SHOPPING - SoHo is a nice half day, as would be Fifth Ave between 42nd and 60th. These are both presuming you're prepared to drop some serious coin.

OK, so for the sightseeing stuff, they have these double decker buses they imported from London. As far as I know it's one company so it shouldn't be hard to find online. Not sure if it makes sense to purchase in advance - there's no issue with availability but might be a discount? 1/2 day, 1 day, 2 days - whatever you do, that takes care of the major touristy stuff (from north to south: Central Park, Rockafeller Center, ESB, Macy's, Greenwich Village/Washington Sq Prk, Wall St, et al).

So, figure 1-2 days of sightseeing.

You asked about visiting the UN - tight security AFAIK and not much in the way of touristy stuff. I have never had guests visit. Columbia University is far west side, could be combined with a visit to Grants Tomb. It's an urban campus without any real stand alone attractions. Same for NYU, which we think of as the Purple Blob which ate Greenwich Village. Many other Universities but those are the most prestigious. New York is very dense and there are no park like campuses in Manhattan.

Shows - lets table for now. Matilda is a great show for kids 7 and up. The Lion King is a classic. Many long running shows & revivals if you have one in mind (Chicago, Once, et al). I have some good online resources for discount tickets, and tips/tricks on how to score last minute deals. A lot will depend on what's running - we'll have a better sense what to shoot for in the fall after the new season begins. I live in a theater building and have good connections for off-Broadway and Off-off Broadway. 

Accommodations - I live in Hell's Kitchen, which is midtown west & borders the theater district. Where to stay is a major decision & I'm not sure how much help I'll be. Yotel is new/near and we have many budget - its a relative term - hotels, both old and new, nearby. Times Square or near TS will be more expensive. If you find one that fits your budget let me know and I'll give you the lowdown on convenience factor. Also, Google the bedbug report - tells you if the hotel has had violations. I joke a lot but I'm being serious here.

Mass Transit - week long metro cards for both buses & subways (5 x $30, everyone taller than 44" needs one.) General rule: north - south take trains, east - west hoof it or take buses. Taxis are more expensive AND take longer than subways. Citibike share is awesome but probably not an option with your youngest (is he four?)

The Grid - 200 years ago they laid out the plan and north of 14th it couldn't be easier. City blocks run east-west and take 1 minute to walk between (going north-south); Avenues run north-south and take 3-4 minutes to walk between (going east-west). Everything is numbered - just keep your eye on the Freedom Tower or ESB to stay oriented. The old Kings Highway - which the Continental Army scampered up after getting their asses kicked in the August, 1776 Battle of Long Island (Brooklyn) - cuts diagonal across the grid from The Battery all the way up to the Upper West Side. Today it's called Broadway. Below 14th the streets are still a grid, but the Financial District and the Village don't always line up because they were separate plans which predate the master plan.

Some suggestions on itineraries...

There are issues with availability and wait times for Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty and the 9/11 Memorial. Buy both in advance online to reserve your spot and avoid a lengthy queue. Those are both downtown along with Wall St. That's a full day for those 3 things.

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge & exploring that borough is another day. Maybe this is the Sunday after you arrive.

Chinatown could be combined with the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. That could also be combined with exploring Soho & GV/West Village OR The Whitney Museum + The High Line + galleries of Chelsea. This is old low rise New York, mostly 6 story buildings. This is MY New York, the one that seduced me 16 years ago and never let go. A 1-2 hour walking tour is a lot of fun - I can recommend a guide.

Balloon inflation of the parade is the night before Thanksgiving, Macy's parade is the next morning, turkey & traditional meal in the afternoon. So this is another day. AMNH could be a full day or a good chunk of it - that could be your Wednesday.

That suggested outline is 5-6 days already so I'll stop now.

We have lots of time to plan. Are you guys planners? Or loosey-goosey go with the flow, let's figure it out after we land travelers? You're German! Of course you plan.

I think, in general, loose itinerary planning with lots of time padded in works well. It's nice to have some time available for spontaneity or to allow yourself to linger if you are enjoying something. New York is not a city but rather scores of neighborhoods. Each has its own characteristics and ethnic flavor with unique stores and restaurants. Even people who live here love to dedicate a day to just learning & exploring a new neighborhood.

Plus, kids. They're the best thing in life, right? But #### do they ever screw up the best of intentions. So everything will take a little longer than you figure. No sense stressing about it, just go with the flow.

Airports - no preference as they all suck equally and take roughly the same amount of time to midtown. Gun to my head, EWR > JFK > LGA.

General geography:

Manhattan is the city. The other four are outter boroughs (Bronx, Brookkyn, Queens, Staten Island). Big sweeping generalities: Brooklyn is cool, the other three wish they were. White people are blithely unaware of anything above 96th St.

Uptown - anything north of 59th St. Two general classifications are Upper West Side (progressive, liberal, Woody Allen) and Upper East Side (conservative, Republican, Bernie Madoff).

Midtown - 34th St to 59th St. People work here. Tourists overrun this. Neighborhoods like Hells Kitchen on the west or Murray Hill on the east but generally its tall buildings and commercial ventures.

14th St to 34th St - Chelsea on the west, Madison Park in the middle, Gramercy/Kips Bay in the east.

Below 14th Street - downtown. This is old New York. The Battery is the tip. The Finacial District and Battery Park City are above that. Continuing north, TriBeCa, City Hall & Chinatown are next. From left to right above that, Hudson Sq/West Village, Greenwich Village/Soho, Lower East Side/East Village. This is the soul of New York; if there is anything authentic left in the ever changing and ever evolving city, you'll find it here.

Some other landmarks to orient yourself to:

Central Park runs from 59th St to 110th St, from 5th Ave to 8th Ave. ESB is 34th St/5th Ave. The Freedom Tower is all the way downtown. None of these are easily combined destinations. 

(Also, Columbia U is FAR UPPER west side - 116th St - and Grants Tomb is 122nd St.)

American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) - Central Park West, W 77th St, Columbus Ave, W 81st St. It's the whole block.

Because somebody liked my post from five years ago, the second time this week I had a like for a post made years ago. Weird coincidence, eh?

I would like to add don’t ever go to Times Square for New Years Eve unless you’re comfortably ensconced in a VIP viewing location. Absolute dreck otherwise.

Because somebody liked my post from five years ago, the second time this week I had a like for a post made years ago. Weird coincidence, eh?

I would like to add don’t ever go to Times Square for New Years Eve unless you’re comfortably ensconced in a VIP viewing location. Absolute dreck otherwise.
Yelp. :lol:

Also, balloon inflation? Are they still there waiting in line to see these things? 

You're a good friend to have written all that out for them...and the post should be pinned/linked in the op- quality stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread