Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
jamny

***New York***

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Where's the concert?

Easy to get to the garden via lots of subways (or uber/taxi, depending on time of tipoff).

What kinds of things do you want to do during the days?

Concert is at the Sawdust. Open to doing anything other than museums 

17 minutes ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Concert is at the Sawdust. Open to doing anything other than museums 

Williamsburgh and wburgh bridge.

Stay south of 34th St. I don't know from hotels or current pricing, but your budget will likely dictate where. My mom was in town in oct and said prices were bonkers for autumn. 

• Thanks 1

I posted this almost five years ago while helping an old friend plan a weeklong NYC trip for a family of five. Doesn’t account for ride shares but everything else is still relevant.

Back on topic...

So one of the original aims of this thread was to share recommendations about NYC, chiefly restaurants. But for non-residents visiting this thread, they're usually just trying to get their arms around how to plan a visit to Manhattan. 

I'm going to copy/paste a series of emails I have been exchanging with a high school buddy/groomsman who is visiting with his wife & 3 kids, with the personal stuff redacted. Some of these are responses to specific questions so it's out of context, but I think it will help first time visitors:

A week should be perfect for you and the family to enjoy the city. I find people who only stay 3-4 days try to pack too much in; always better to go slow and take things in rather than rush around trying to fill an itinerary.

For sightseeing, the double decker buses are a nice way to knock out the major stops. I always strongly recommend Ellis Island over Statue of Liberty - both can be done on the same ferry, but linger at the former. Related - it's a bit out of the way, but the Lower East Side Tenement Museum is an amazing experience. Both will be highlights of your trip.

There are of course several amazing art museums that are worthwhile - Guggenheim, Metropolitan, and MoMA are my personal favorites - but for 10 and under nothing beats American Museum of Natural History. Also, the balloon inflation is on the four blocks surrounding AMNH (Central Park West, W 77th St, Columbus Ave, W 81st St.) If you like smaller museums, the Frick Collection is amazing. Neue Galerie (near the Met) should be on your list as well - relatively new, specializes in German and Austrian art. You should also check out the Whitney Museum of American Art, which is re-locating to the Meatpacking District May 1. It will be right next to the High Line, which is a must see as well.

Restaurants - although I still love Zagat's guides for both dining and shopping, Yelp is an incredible online resource for planning. Can be tough doing meal planning on the go. NYC is relatively expensive but the dining options do run the full spectrum - you can find affordable places to eat if you plan it out.

Other ideas:

Staten Island - Yeah, no. There are interesting things. Chinese Scholar's Garden (sculptures) at Snug Harbor. Richmondtown is a wonderfully preserved period village. I dated a S.I. girl for six years and know the island deeply. But just no. You can take a roundtrip on the Staten Island Ferry to kill an hour, get a NY Harbor perspective, and it's free.

Queens - Again, many interesting sites, though spread out. Science museum, Queens Museum of Art has an amazing model of the entire city, Corona Park and the 1964 World's Fair Pavilion - both near the Billie Jean KIng USTA complex and Citifield - are all cool day trips, but imminently missable. 

Bronx - The New York Botanical Garden is pretty amazing. Not sure when the Holiday Train show begins, if it's that week you should go. Great Italian food along Arthur Avenue right outside NYBC. Bronx Zoo is nearby. It'll be a little cold to take in Wave Hill or Pelham Park. The Cloisters is a pretty cool museum with pretty neat tapestry and amazing vistas. But all of these worthwhile ideas are close to a full day trip, so you have to decide if your family would enjoy it.

Brooklyn - Oh, hell yes. This was my home for eight years and I would love to be your guide for a day on this excursion. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge, eat in DUMBO or Brooklyn Heights. New parks with many activities along the East River. BMA has some great collections, Prospect Park is comparable to Central Park, Brooklyn Academy of Music is the finest avant garde venue in the city. I could write a book on things to do.

Chinatown - plan on half day to stroll through, do some shopping, maybe grab some dim sum. Not far from Lower East Side Tenement Museum.

SHOPPING - SoHo is a nice half day, as would be Fifth Ave between 42nd and 60th. These are both presuming you're prepared to drop some serious coin.

OK, so for the sightseeing stuff, they have these double decker buses they imported from London. As far as I know it's one company so it shouldn't be hard to find online. Not sure if it makes sense to purchase in advance - there's no issue with availability but might be a discount? 1/2 day, 1 day, 2 days - whatever you do, that takes care of the major touristy stuff (from north to south: Central Park, Rockafeller Center, ESB, Macy's, Greenwich Village/Washington Sq Prk, Wall St, et al).

So, figure 1-2 days of sightseeing.

You asked about visiting the UN - tight security AFAIK and not much in the way of touristy stuff. I have never had guests visit. Columbia University is far west side, could be combined with a visit to Grants Tomb. It's an urban campus without any real stand alone attractions. Same for NYU, which we think of as the Purple Blob which ate Greenwich Village. Many other Universities but those are the most prestigious. New York is very dense and there are no park like campuses in Manhattan.

Shows - lets table for now. Matilda is a great show for kids 7 and up. The Lion King is a classic. Many long running shows & revivals if you have one in mind (Chicago, Once, et al). I have some good online resources for discount tickets, and tips/tricks on how to score last minute deals. A lot will depend on what's running - we'll have a better sense what to shoot for in the fall after the new season begins. I live in a theater building and have good connections for off-Broadway and Off-off Broadway. 

Accommodations - I live in Hell's Kitchen, which is midtown west & borders the theater district. Where to stay is a major decision & I'm not sure how much help I'll be. Yotel is new/near and we have many budget - its a relative term - hotels, both old and new, nearby. Times Square or near TS will be more expensive. If you find one that fits your budget let me know and I'll give you the lowdown on convenience factor. Also, Google the bedbug report - tells you if the hotel has had violations. I joke a lot but I'm being serious here.

Mass Transit - week long metro cards for both buses & subways (5 x $30, everyone taller than 44" needs one.) General rule: north - south take trains, east - west hoof it or take buses. Taxis are more expensive AND take longer than subways. Citibike share is awesome but probably not an option with your youngest (is he four?)

The Grid - 200 years ago they laid out the plan and north of 14th it couldn't be easier. City blocks run east-west and take 1 minute to walk between (going north-south); Avenues run north-south and take 3-4 minutes to walk between (going east-west). Everything is numbered - just keep your eye on the Freedom Tower or ESB to stay oriented. The old Kings Highway - which the Continental Army scampered up after getting their asses kicked in the August, 1776 Battle of Long Island (Brooklyn) - cuts diagonal across the grid from The Battery all the way up to the Upper West Side. Today it's called Broadway. Below 14th the streets are still a grid, but the Financial District and the Village don't always line up because they were separate plans which predate the master plan.

Some suggestions on itineraries...

There are issues with availability and wait times for Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty and the 9/11 Memorial. Buy both in advance online to reserve your spot and avoid a lengthy queue. Those are both downtown along with Wall St. That's a full day for those 3 things.

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge & exploring that borough is another day. Maybe this is the Sunday after you arrive.

Chinatown could be combined with the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. That could also be combined with exploring Soho & GV/West Village OR The Whitney Museum + The High Line + galleries of Chelsea. This is old low rise New York, mostly 6 story buildings. This is MY New York, the one that seduced me 16 years ago and never let go. A 1-2 hour walking tour is a lot of fun - I can recommend a guide.

Balloon inflation of the parade is the night before Thanksgiving, Macy's parade is the next morning, turkey & traditional meal in the afternoon. So this is another day. AMNH could be a full day or a good chunk of it - that could be your Wednesday.

That suggested outline is 5-6 days already so I'll stop now.

We have lots of time to plan. Are you guys planners? Or loosey-goosey go with the flow, let's figure it out after we land travelers? You're German! Of course you plan.

I think, in general, loose itinerary planning with lots of time padded in works well. It's nice to have some time available for spontaneity or to allow yourself to linger if you are enjoying something. New York is not a city but rather scores of neighborhoods. Each has its own characteristics and ethnic flavor with unique stores and restaurants. Even people who live here love to dedicate a day to just learning & exploring a new neighborhood.

Plus, kids. They're the best thing in life, right? But #### do they ever screw up the best of intentions. So everything will take a little longer than you figure. No sense stressing about it, just go with the flow.

Airports - no preference as they all suck equally and take roughly the same amount of time to midtown. Gun to my head, EWR > JFK > LGA.

General geography:

Manhattan is the city. The other four are outter boroughs (Bronx, Brookkyn, Queens, Staten Island). Big sweeping generalities: Brooklyn is cool, the other three wish they were. White people are blithely unaware of anything above 96th St.

Uptown - anything north of 59th St. Two general classifications are Upper West Side (progressive, liberal, Woody Allen) and Upper East Side (conservative, Republican, Bernie Madoff).

Midtown - 34th St to 59th St. People work here. Tourists overrun this. Neighborhoods like Hells Kitchen on the west or Murray Hill on the east but generally its tall buildings and commercial ventures.

14th St to 34th St - Chelsea on the west, Madison Park in the middle, Gramercy/Kips Bay in the east.

Below 14th Street - downtown. This is old New York. The Battery is the tip. The Finacial District and Battery Park City are above that. Continuing north, TriBeCa, City Hall & Chinatown are next. From left to right above that, Hudson Sq/West Village, Greenwich Village/Soho, Lower East Side/East Village. This is the soul of New York; if there is anything authentic left in the ever changing and ever evolving city, you'll find it here.

Some other landmarks to orient yourself to:

Central Park runs from 59th St to 110th St, from 5th Ave to 8th Ave. ESB is 34th St/5th Ave. The Freedom Tower is all the way downtown. None of these are easily combined destinations. 

(Also, Columbia U is FAR UPPER west side - 116th St - and Grants Tomb is 122nd St.)

American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) - Central Park West, W 77th St, Columbus Ave, W 81st St. It's the whole block.

• Like 3

Because somebody liked my post from five years ago, the second time this week I had a like for a post made years ago. Weird coincidence, eh?

I would like to add don’t ever go to Times Square for New Years Eve unless you’re comfortably ensconced in a VIP viewing location. Absolute dreck otherwise.

2 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Because somebody liked my post from five years ago, the second time this week I had a like for a post made years ago. Weird coincidence, eh?

I would like to add don’t ever go to Times Square for New Years Eve unless you’re comfortably ensconced in a VIP viewing location. Absolute dreck otherwise.

Yelp. :lol:

Also, balloon inflation? Are they still there waiting in line to see these things? 

You're a good friend to have written all that out for them...and the post should be pinned/linked in the op- quality stuff.

On 12/27/2019 at 2:11 AM, BobbyLayne said:

I think it was me? Planning a trip in September for my wife and I. Started reading this thread in the 2014ish range and just got caught up today. Really appreciate the time everyone has taken to give advice and answer questions over the years. Going to collect my notes over the next few days and I'm sure I'll have some questions. 

So we're looking at going at the end of September. I am roughly planning for 9/23-10/2 right now. As far as food goes we're strictly vegetarian and usually vegan so I've been doing some research and have a list of places. Most of them seem to be in the Chelsea/HK/GV areas so I'm thinking we should stay there. 

I am trying not to plan too much so that we can do things spur of the moment or spend more time than planned if we happen to particularly enjoy something. 

Any ideas for things to do or nice places to grab a drink would be appreciated. 

Here is my rough itinerary right now:

Wednesday:

Arrive

Thursday:

Chill and explore around the Airbnb

High Line?

Drinks?

Friday:

Museum of Modern Art

Ippudo Ramen for lunch/dinner?

Times Square/Rockefeller

Mercato for dinner?

Comedy Cellar? (Buy tickets)

Saturday:

Check out 5th Ave?

Broadway Show?

Sunday:

Football?

Monday:

Central Park

Maison Kayser Brunch?

The Met

Guggenheim 

Tuesday:

Friends/SATC Sites

Joe’s Pizza on Carmine or Ramen-Ya?

Century 21 near 9/11 memorial?

Night cruise?

Wednesday: 

Chill and enjoy

Go back to somewhere we’ve really enjoyed?

Thursday:

Brooklyn Bridge

Grimaldi’s in Brooklyn Heights

Explore Brooklyn

Nice meal for dinner

Empire State Building?

Friday:

Go home😭

Also looking at staying at either of these two Airbnbs. Thoughts?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2791446

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/32291386

That first Airbnb looks tiny fwiw.  Both locations look fine.

With ippu do, check the broth is veggie and not chicken. Also, they probably have offshoots, but the one I know isnt near the rest of your days plans midtown

Dirt candy in my les hood gets raves as an upscale veggie spot. People also love Superiority Burger in the EVil. Cookshop further west and up, closer to Chelsea has some nice veggie fare, iirc.

Maison kayser isn't really worth a sit-down destination meal, imo. It's like pret a manger, but with sitdown options. Decent food for a lunch or coffee on the go, imo, but not a planned stop.

What are friends/satc sites?

• Thanks 1

Oh...had meant to mention that the kids and I did a scavenger hunt around wash sq park over the weekend. Pay for it on an app, get clues and cruise finding stuff in the hood, learning stuff and being outside. Was a really nice and fun thing to do for us for a couple hours...both kids got inspired about history and future scavenger humts with pals. Basically for the price of a movie and lasting about as long...granted you're walking around the entire time. Recommend it.

Eta... And even though we were messing around, turns out we're way in front on the leaderboard for that hunt. Suck it, tourists!

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

That first Airbnb looks tiny fwiw.  Both locations look fine.

With ippu do, check the broth is veggie and not chicken. Also, they probably have offshoots, but the one I know isnt near the rest of your days plans midtown

Dirt candy in my les hood gets raves as an upscale veggie spot. People also love Superiority Burger in the EVil. Cookshop further west and up, closer to Chelsea has some nice veggie fare, iirc.

Maison kayser isn't really worth a sit-down destination meal, imo. It's like pret a manger, but with sitdown options. Decent food for a lunch or coffee on the go, imo, but not a planned stop.

What are friends/satc sites?

I believe I had read that Ippudo had veggie broth but I will double check. Thanks for all of the restaurant suggestions!

For Maison Kayser we're pretty light eaters early in the day so I figured it'd be a good spot to grab coffee, some baked goods, etc since it's close and seems to get solid reviews. Definitely open to other suggestions in the area though!

Friends/SATC sites are things from the shows Friends and Sex and the City haha. Wife is a big fan and she'll get a kick out of things like seeing Monica's apartment building (at least what they used for the outside shots) as well as things like Carrie's stoop. They're all nearby the Airbnb options too.

Oh... Westville is a good veg place too- and there's one in Chelsea. They have a ton of veg sides that you can combine into a meal. Not as upscale or good as the others mentioned, but decent and not a killer pricewise. I was going to send you to NYC veg stalwart, Angelica Kitchen but am reminded that it closed a couple years ago. 

Understood about Maison kayser...looked like a spend a brunch morning thing on your itinerary, which it isn't. But light grab and go it's fine. People line up for hours at Clinton St Bakery down the street from us on weekends to get a bite of their crack-infused pancakes...worth the wait.

Didn't realize ippu do had other locations...Google shows those are just right for that midtown day.

I didn't remember location stuff from friends. Satc...gotcha. fwiw, Tom's diner from Seinfeld is up by Columbia at 112th st and bwy if you end up going that far north and is a quintessential NYC Greek diner. Assuming it's still around.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Oh... Westville is a good veg place too- and there's one in Chelsea. They have a ton of veg sides that you can combine into a meal. Not as upscale or good as the others mentioned, but decent and not a killer pricewise. I was going to send you to NYC veg stalwart, Angelica Kitchen but am reminded that it closed a couple years ago. 

Understood about Maison kayser...looked like a spend a brunch morning thing on your itinerary, which it isn't. But light grab and go it's fine. People line up for hours at Clinton St Bakery down the street from us on weekends to get a bite of their crack-infused pancakes...worth the wait.

Didn't realize ippu do had other locations...Google shows those are just right for that midtown day.

I didn't remember location stuff from friends. Satc...gotcha. fwiw, Tom's diner from Seinfeld is up by Columbia at 112th st and bwy if you end up going that far north and is a quintessential NYC Greek diner. Assuming it's still around.

I had read about Westville and that's on the list. Clinton St Bakery actually is too from your previous posts in this thread. Figured we'd try there on one of our exploring days during the week to try and avoid the madhouse. 

Thanks for the heads up on Tom's. It's crazy how many shows and movies are set in NYC once you stop to think about it.

1 hour ago, CR69 said:

@El Floppo

https://ny.eater.com/2016/11/2/13496944/ippudo-vegetarian-ramen

That's the article I saw but just now noticed it only mentions the eVil location. I'll have to check about midtown. 

Pssst...2016.

Google shows two locations midtown. They'll likely have similar menus, but worth checking.

10 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Pssst...2016.

Google shows two locations midtown. They'll likely have similar menus, but worth checking.

I figured I'd just call them and ask since there's no mention of it on their website. 

Thank you for all of the advice!

Staying at the Westin Times Square in a couple of weeks and need a recommendation for an Italian or steak place within somewhat close proximity. If you suggest Carmine's I will never listen to you again. 

Bringing some clients out to dinner for winning a "of the year" type award from us. Hoping to stay in the $100-$100/pp proximity (with wine).

Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Staying at the Westin Times Square in a couple of weeks and need a recommendation for an Italian or steak place within somewhat close proximity. If you suggest Carmine's I will never listen to you again. 

Bringing some clients out to dinner for winning a "of the year" type award from us. Hoping to stay in the $100-$100/pp proximity (with wine).

Thoughts?

Assuming that’s a typo and your high end is at least somewhat beyond $100, you can probably pull off Keens as long as you’re not going crazy with the wine. 

5 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

Assuming that’s a typo and your high end is at least somewhat beyond $100, you can probably pull off Keens as long as you’re not going crazy with the wine. 

I initially wanted to stay under $125/pp but ended up changing to $100-$110/pp. May have someone else pick up the wine. 

29 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Thoughts?

Wolfgang's

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Thoughts?

You'd have to check prices, but I've always liked Esca for Italian in that area. Seafoody, if that's a problem.

Just now, El Floppo said:

You'd have to check prices, but I've always liked Esca for Italian in that area. Seafoody, if that's a problem.

Not a problem, but personally not my first choice. And I'm paying so I'm going to go somewhere that I'm sure to like. I'll check it out though. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Thoughts?

Churrascaria Plataforma (Brazilian steakhouse)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Thoughts?

I'm partial to the downtown location but Striphouse never disappoints.   

• Like 1

Sad to hear some kid jumped off the Vessel in Hudson yards.

Also sad to hear The Meatball Shop is closing in the LES.

On 2/3/2020 at 2:50 PM, El Floppo said:

Also sad to hear The Meatball Shop is closing in the LES.

Their parm sauce meatball sandwich is one of the greatest things I've ever eaten.

On the minus side of the NYC equation, my wife was walking near the Lexington Hotel (Times Square area) and a thief snatched her iphone right out of her hand and ran off with it. Suck.

Edited by soothsayer

3 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Their parm sauce meatball sandwich is one of the greatest things I've ever eaten.

On the minus side of the NYC equation, my wife was walking near the Lexington Hotel (Times Square area) and a thief snatched her iphone right out of her hand and ran off with it. Suck.

Sucks!

I just read somewhere that while violent crimes are down, these kind ofncrimes are way up.

• Sad 1

Need recs on a broadway show taking the wife next weekend.  What shows are popular or highly rated right now?  We have already seen Hamilton and lion king. 

Mean girls?

To kill a mockingbird?

Come from away?

4 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Need recs on a broadway show taking the wife next weekend.  What shows are popular or highly rated right now?  We have already seen Hamilton and lion king. 

Mean girls?

To kill a mockingbird?

Come from away?

People seem to enjoy Mean Girls but it’s more of a fun experience, not really top talent that needs to be seen. 

Saw TKAM with Jeff Daniels as the lead. Was really great but obviously very serious and a very different experience than the other two. 

Really liked Come From Away and would be my vote. Good mix of great performances/songs, plot, and overall enjoyment. 

• Like 2

Come from away. Loved by every person I know that's seen it, including hard to please people in the industry.

Been hearing really good things about the new production of west side story too.

• Like 1

two F-18 fighter jets are scheduled to do a low (2,500 ft.) Hudson River flyover this afternoon between 2:30-3:00. 

THIS IS JUST A DRILL 

👀 

🤔

• Thanks 2

@El Floppo how do you select your Citi bike?  Do you have a trick? I ride every day now and have had a bad run of crappy bikes. Damage, poor gearing, etc. I used to pick by flat basket but they are putting those in all models now. 

13 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

@El Floppo how do you select your Citi bike?  Do you have a trick? I ride every day now and have had a bad run of crappy bikes. Damage, poor gearing, etc. I used to pick by flat basket but they are putting those in all models now. 

Flat basket, and kick the tires (want them firm), squeeze the brakes (want them smooth and firm) before picking.

But the crap bike happens. If it's an obvious issue, press the wrench button when you dock and let them know what the issue is (you'll get an email with an easy survey when you push the button) . If it's bad enough, I'll dock at the first place I see and swap.

ETA... And good for you for riding. 

Another tip... On one way streets without a bike lane, I stay to the left side of the street. Passenger doors for parked cars (less likely to open and door you compared to driver doors on right side of street), driver side for moving cars (easier for them to see and maneuver by you when you're not on the other side of their car), most people get out of taxis/Ubers on the right side (less likely sneak door/pedestrian attack)

Edited by El Floppo

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Flat basket, and kick the tires (want them firm), squeeze the brakes (want them smooth and firm) before picking.

But the crap bike happens. If it's an obvious issue, press the wrench button when you dock and let them know what the issue is (you'll get an email with an easy survey when you push the button) . If it's bad enough, I'll dock at the first place I see and swap.

I do lock and report. I think they have me flagged as a problem after the last 3 weeks. I’ve locked 4 bikes, three for bum shifting and once for a flat. 

1 hour ago, otb_lifer said:

two F-18 fighter jets are scheduled to do a low (2,500 ft.) Hudson River flyover this afternoon between 2:30-3:00. 

THIS IS JUST A DRILL 

👀

🤔

Link?

Can't seem to find anything.

1 minute ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I do lock and report. I think they have me flagged as a problem after the last 3 weeks. I’ve locked 4 bikes, three for bum shifting and once for a flat. 

The shifting is an issue, and no way of knowing until you're going. Hate having to ride in anything but the hardest/fastest of the three gears... No real hills in my commutes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jamny said:
1 hour ago, otb_lifer said:

THIS IS JUST A DRILL 

👀

🤔

Link?

Found something listed for Aug 28 of last year...  :shrug:

• Like 1

I noticed the Ice Cream Museum last time we were in Soho. 

Why? Anybody know more and why it would cost 50bucks or whatever?

8 minutes ago, jamny said:

Link?

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Found something listed for Aug 28 of last year...  :shrug:

guess ya gotta take my intel fwiw ... watch the skies, fellas

:popcorn:

• Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

guess ya gotta take my intel fwiw ... watch the skies, fellas

:popcorn:

I won't see it in Queens. Just thought I'd pass the word to friends in the city. 

Don't wanna look like a fool though if it doesn't happen.  :)

20 minutes ago, jamny said:

I won't see it in Queens. Just thought I'd pass the word to friends in the city. 

Don't wanna look like a fool though if it doesn't happen.  :)

best i could do

:shrug:

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

total NYC confirmed coronavirus cases: 

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 -  11
  • 3/8 -  12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 -  36
  • 3/11 -  52

From Gov Cuomo twitter feed., updated daily.

Edited by jamny
  • Thanks 1

How are you all doing with this mess?

All my corporate AV work has cancelled for the near future so I don't need to go into the city much outside of picking my wife up on occasions. Thankfully, I've transitioned to voiceover work over the past few years and work mostly from home. In-studio auditions in the city have dropped off significantly. The wife still goes in everyday by Express Bus. She could work from home but doesn't want to miss any gym classes. So, I'll obviously catch it eventually from her. The rest of her company needs to service clients (fashion consultant company) so they can't WFH. She's the CFO and doesn't think they can survive this as they were already in trouble. 

Hoping to keep our planned trip to our condo in Boise next weekend. Might not come back for a while.

I’ve been working from home as of late as has my wife.  I know a number of companies are beginning to do the same.  Though there are technical challenges which come with that.  

i assume at some point they will further shut down the city as Cuomo has suggested this a few times now.

Posted (edited)

We’re leaving the city. We’re unprepared as a city and I anticipate looting.

Not many places I’d rather be less than NYC right now.

Edited by fantasycurse42

Had a really tough day today battling with my owners about shutting down or at least shifting to a skeleton crew. It really kind of sealed my future when at the end of the day I told them I was working from home tomorrow.

I get it. If we shut down completely we have no revenue for however long. But I’m trying to get them to understand we aren’t making any money now and if one of us gets COVID?  Turn out the lights.  

So no metro north update tomorrow morning friends. I’ll be posting in my jammies. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

We’re leaving the city. We’re unprepared as a city and I anticipate looting.

Not many places I’d rather be less than NYC right now.

Really? I don’t dispel the idea that if you have other options (beach/country house with more room), why not get out of the city.  

But I was just in Manhattan the last few days, and felt an eerie sense that it’s gonna be ok.  A lot of folks will get the flu, it’s especially important for older folks to social distance, but other than that, NYC is resilient, a great and amazing series of neighborhoods and community (it’s not 1968 anymore).  

Almost extended my trip.

4 minutes ago, Koya said:

Really? I don’t dispel the idea that if you have other options (beach/country house with more room), why not get out of the city.  

But I was just in Manhattan the last few days, and felt an eerie sense that it’s gonna be ok.  A lot of folks will get the flu, it’s especially important for older folks to social distance, but other than that, NYC is resilient, a great and amazing series of neighborhoods and community (it’s not 1968 anymore).  

Almost extended my trip.

I mean we’re seriously thinking about going to my parents place in NC.  My gut says the hospitals get overwhelmed in short order and then there’s the whole issue of what happens when someone in our apartment building gets it.  

Whether that results in looting is another question entirely, but leaving doesn’t seem as stupid of an option now that WFH for a month is almost a given.

23 minutes ago, Koya said:

Almost extended my trip.

The feel of the city has been changing by the hour...particularly today, with lines at stores like I've never seen.

People dealing w transportation seems normal though so far, aside from increasing face masks and gloves.

Dunno.

I wouldn't think looting from this. But given the rapid escalation of things...dunno. don't blame people for bugging out of the city if they can.

My ####### office isn't offering any ideas or plans for what we'll be doing so I don't even think WFH will be on the table. And I can't afford to go very long without a paycheck unfortunately...my last out of work stint a couple years ago killed my backup plans. I suppose we could head to the inlaws in NoVa, which is where I intend to go for the zombie apocalypse...

8 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

I mean we’re seriously thinking about going to my parents place in NC.  My gut says the hospitals get overwhelmed in short order and then there’s the whole issue of what happens when someone in our apartment building gets it.  

Whether that results in looting is another question entirely, but leaving doesn’t seem as stupid of an option now that WFH for a month is almost a given.

Not saying it’s stupid by any stretch... but I’m not sure why folks assume that suburban hospitals won’t get overwhelmed just the same. And the ease to get necessities seems that much more difficult when you have to drive to the panic-riddled big boxes, which then become contagion labs unto themselves.

Personally, I’d never live in an area that I felt would be prone to riots or looting in bad times.  And at least in my life, I’ve only seen NYC get more resilient and community-like in times of acute pain.  

Then again, I don’t live in the City and recognize that fact.  Also, having family makes it that much more important to be extra cautious... just not sure the burbs will be markedly better... a country house or something, perhaps.