Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
jamny

***New York***

3 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Pig Beach is great but it's an outdoor venue as far as I know. I've never seen the inside.  

Oh dang, it is pretty far away from where I will be as well.  Looks like a cool place, though.

13 minutes ago, Mad Cow said:

Any thoughts on the following 3 restaurants?  Ainsworth, Iron Bar or Pig Beach?  All three are OSU Alumni arranged game watching sites.  Curious about grabbing lunch on Saturday at one to enjoy the game with fellow Buckeyes.

Which Ainsworth? There are a few now. The one on 26th or so is the original and serves as the model for many of the fancy, non dive sports bars that have popped up. Huge place, tons of screens, nice couches, etc. It's basically lounge meets sports bar which brings out the eye candy. You'll probably want to get there early if you want a seat. I imagine their events get good crowds.

Iron Bar is another big space but is close to Times Square so might have a more tourist feel. Food/drinks are solid enough.

2 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

Which Ainsworth? There are a few now. The one on 26th or so is the original and serves as the model for many of the fancy, non dive sports bars that have popped up. Huge place, tons of screens, nice couches, etc. It's basically lounge meets sports bar which brings out the eye candy. You'll probably want to get there early if you want a seat. I imagine their events get good crowds.

Iron Bar is another big space but is close to Times Square so might have a more tourist feel. Food/drinks are solid enough.

Fidi

So you New Yorkers, what are a couple of places that when visitors come to town (that you like, that is), you tell them, You HAVE to eat or go here or there?

37 minutes ago, Mad Cow said:

So you New Yorkers, what are a couple of places that when visitors come to town (that you like, that is), you tell them, You HAVE to eat or go here or there?

I don't think I've ever told somebody they have to ear somewhere...so many options that are good, it's about what they like in terms of food, vibe and price, and then point them. Some of my faves though....

Anything Bouley (Bouley at Home his latest)

Il Buco

Le Bernadin

Per Se (if wallets are fully lock-blowed-offed)

Bond St

Kiki's

Da Umberto

Blue Ribbon Sushi

All great food, each with their own thing. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 1:31 PM, Major said:

This is an interesting hack from JFK.  Cuts an Uber fare from $50 to $20 with little work.  Let me know if anyone tries this. 

https://pointmetotheplane.boardingarea.com/uber-jfk-manhattan-hack/

Myth, busted!  Im guessing they saw that and changed stuff.  $50 to 70 from Jamaica to Times square area.

• Sad 1

On 10/23/2019 at 12:59 PM, Mad Cow said:

Some of these I would highly recommend: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/314729-new-york/page/140/?tab=comments#comment-21511506

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RC94 said:

Love that post.

I will say though...I've eaten at most/all of the EVil spots and a handful of others. The ones I've eaten at- all of them good, but for me none rising to any higher level. Like- I would never discourage anyone from eating at them, but also wouldn't necessarily think to recommend them either...if that makes sense.

ETA...already disliking what I said here. Love that rc original post.

Edited by El Floppo

Can I just say that I hate tourists here, as a tourist that knows how to not be a doosh tourist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mad Cow said:

Can I just say that I hate tourists here, as a tourist that knows how to not be a doosh tourist.

Floppinho had a jazz performance today near times square...had to go twice through that hell hole and try to navigate it's minions.

But weekends are the absolute worst. Cant go anywhere.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 10:05 AM, El Floppo said:

Love that post.

I will say though...I've eaten at most/all of the EVil spots and a handful of others. The ones I've eaten at- all of them good, but for me none rising to any higher level. Like- I would never discourage anyone from eating at them, but also wouldn't necessarily think to recommend them either...if that makes sense.

ETA...already disliking what I said here. Love that rc original post.

I think the EVil ones in particular are good everyday restaurants, like a place a local would go to regularly, but aren't really places I would say a visitor must try since they would have limited time in the city.  Also, most of them are affordable restaurants by NYC standards.  All of them are open for dinner, but some of them are better for lunch than a night out for dinner.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RC94 said:

I think the EVil ones in particular are good everyday restaurants, like a place a local would go to regularly, but aren't really places I would say a visitor must try since they would have limited time in the city.  Also, most of them are affordable restaurants by NYC standards.  All of them are open for dinner, but some of them are better for lunch than a night out for dinner.

Perfectly said.

Thanks for the memories, NYC.  Had a good time.  Went to see Rock of Ages by myself and really really liked that.   Will not miss the horrible hordes of tourists that know not how to walk.

• Like 1

Speaking of restaurants...yet another dagger blow- b-bar will be closing soon, as the site is being developed for more luxury apartments. Because we need more luxury apartments and less neighborhood landmarks.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:
1 hour ago, Sammy3469 said:

Since this is going to be talked about for awhile and rivals their takedown of Guy Fieri’s place..the scorchingest of scorching hot takes by the NYTimes in their review of Lugar’s

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/dining/peter-luger-review-pete-wells.html

They've had it coming. 

on the plus side there are now four yes count them four parneras in new york new york so you are all set take that to the bank brohans 

Since this is going to be talked about for awhile and rivals their takedown of Guy Fieri’s place..the scorchingest of scorching hot takes by the NYTimes in their review of Lugar’s

Always thought they were overrated.  

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Speaking of restaurants...yet another dagger blow- b-bar will be closing soon, as the site is being developed for more luxury apartments. Because we need more luxury apartments and less neighborhood landmarks.

I had some good memories there in the early aughts.   Pretty unique space with a great patio and atmosphere.  Good food and drink as well.  RIP

Never understood the fascination.  Good to experience once or to appease your tourist friends but that's about it.  Too much hassle to trek to BK for an average, overpriced steak.  Striphouse on 12th has always been my go to.   

Going to a concert in Brooklyn on a Friday night and then a Knicks game on Saturday night. Need hotel/restaurant suggestions. Looking to spend $150-$250 per night on the hotel. As for food, open to anything other than vegetarian. 

Which side should I stay on?   Looking to be closer to things to do during the day and wont mind spending $$ to uber to get to either event. 

25 minutes ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Going to a concert in Brooklyn on a Friday night and then a Knicks game on Saturday night. Need hotel/restaurant suggestions. Looking to spend $150-$250 per night on the hotel. As for food, open to anything other than vegetarian. 

Which side should I stay on?   Looking to be closer to things to do during the day and wont mind spending $$ to uber to get to either event. 

Where's the concert?

Easy to get to the garden via lots of subways (or uber/taxi, depending on time of tipoff).

What kinds of things do you want to do during the days?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Where's the concert?

Easy to get to the garden via lots of subways (or uber/taxi, depending on time of tipoff).

What kinds of things do you want to do during the days?

Concert is at the Sawdust. Open to doing anything other than museums 

17 minutes ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Concert is at the Sawdust. Open to doing anything other than museums 

Williamsburgh and wburgh bridge.

Stay south of 34th St. I don't know from hotels or current pricing, but your budget will likely dictate where. My mom was in town in oct and said prices were bonkers for autumn. 

• Thanks 1