What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42 said:
I’m not worried about the hospitals, my kids are 4/7 and my wife and I are healthy and in our 30s.

I’m worried that the city will have travel restrictions, people in my building will get it, supplies will be low, hospitals could be taxed, and a general sense of unrest. Furthermore, going stir crazy in an apartment with the wife and kids.

Found a few good rentals in FL for like $1,500 a week. 3k square foot house (I’ll stock it up), pool, jacuzzi, sun, and we can stay isolated there.

Take it 2 weeks at a time... If the city is well intact, we’ll be back in 2-4 week. Worst case scenario some sun and pool, best case I’ve avoided hell on Earth.

Every person that tells me I’m nuts, I default to the above. 
Not nuts at all.  Perfectly reasonable (as are other approaches - every situation and person/family is different).

Wish you a healthy impromptu trip GB!

total NYC confirmed coronavirus cases: 

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 - 11
  • 3/8 - 12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 - 36
  • 3/11 - 52
  • 3/12 -  95

fantasycurse42 said:
I’m not worried about the hospitals, my kids are 4/7 and my wife and I are healthy and in our 30s.

I’m worried that the city will have travel restrictions, people in my building will get it, supplies will be low, hospitals could be taxed, and a general sense of unrest. Furthermore, going stir crazy in an apartment with the wife and kids.

Found a few good rentals in FL for like $1,500 a week. 3k square foot house (I’ll stock it up), pool, jacuzzi, sun, and we can stay isolated there.

Take it 2 weeks at a time... If the city is well intact, we’ll be back in 2-4 week. Worst case scenario some sun and pool, best case I’ve avoided hell on Earth.

Every person that tells me I’m nuts, I default to the above. 
Like I said- I don't blame anybody for bugging out.

I'd rather be at home, where I'm comfortable and trust the hospitals and health services, and figure if supplies are going anywhere, they'll come here. Tbh, I trust a random other place far less to control all of this. And didn't you start that only in Florida thread?

I'd rather be at home, where I'm comfortable and trust the hospitals and health services, and figure if supplies are going anywhere, they'll come here. Tbh, I trust a random other place far less to control all of this. And didn't you start that only in Florida thread?
We’re going to be the last place to close schools in the country, I’m still seeing full Starbucks, and people everywhere. We’re treating this like the flu, but the flu doesn’t hospitalize 1 in 5 who get it... Chaos is coming and we’re woefully unprepared.

Now they are making a run on goods in the city, wait until the real panic breaks out, this city will be hell and I won’t be stuck here to see it. 

After experiencing our local hospital (Elmhurst) with both my in-laws, I'd rather take a chance anywhere else. That place is a nightmare on a normal day.

keeping us all home today - got a feeling the schools are gonna be closed starting Monday, so why risk my kid one more day - she has only had one absence all year, back in September for a twisted ankle.  

my gf will be impacted quite severely, as the great majority of her cases deal with visiting spectrum kids in their classrooms ... see above about the impending school closings, no need to risk her today, either.  

gonna be a tough few weeks here ... they both are more likely to contact it, but are both extremely healthy and fit, so odds are veryveryvery high in their recovery favor  - i am lower risk to contact, imo - but a far greater risk if infected, seeing as how i have had various lung issues over the past 25 yrs (2 pack a day smoker, but in great physical shape otherwise).

we're dutifully stocked up on all essentials, enough to last a month - only thing i have yet to stockpile is the booze ... as lovely as being hammered through this time is so appealing, it also greatly weakens one's natural defenses ...and i wanna be on my game for them.

meh .... HOME is the spot for us all today. 

Triskaidekaphobia?

or prudence?

:shrug:

El Floppo said:
The feel of the city has been changing by the hour...particularly today, with lines at stores like I've never seen.

People dealing w transportation seems normal though so far, aside from increasing face masks and gloves.

Dunno.

I wouldn't think looting from this. But given the rapid escalation of things...dunno. don't blame people for bugging out of the city if they can.

My ####### office isn't offering any ideas or plans for what we'll be doing so I don't even think WFH will be on the table. And I can't afford to go very long without a paycheck unfortunately...my last out of work stint a couple years ago killed my backup plans. I suppose we could head to the inlaws in NoVa, which is where I intend to go for the zombie apocalypse...
Thank you for the update.

Been trying to advise my 25 year old on whether or not to leave Brooklyn and come home. 

He works full time as a barista in Manhattan and must have the subway.

He is planning to quit the job in the summer as he's been studying code academy online for web development in his spare time and will be pursuing a job in that field. 

Leaving would mean quitting his barista job. Or who knows, the shop may be about ready to close. Although he says they've been swamped with customers.

He can live with us here for free and work in Knoxville and effectively still pay his rent in Brooklyn. 

I guess the question boils down to how likely it is things get crazy in NYC. And how one defines "crazy". 

Would appreciate any thoughts from people with insights. Much thanks. 

@Joe Bryant

I've been here more than 30 years...nothing in that time (thinking of crack/homelessness, 9/11 and Sandy) feels like this- in terms of how rapidly the situation is changing and genuinely not knowing what the next 24 hours will bring, let alone weeks or month. I suppose 9/11 is the closest...but after a day I knew nothing else was happening...and we also NYC and NYCers at their collective best in the months following.

Part of me feels that with all the resources and infrastructure available here- that it's a good place to be. But of course there's the close proximity to millions of other people, including lots of visitors... the virus will no doubt hit hard here pdq.

I don't subscribe to FCs paranoia about the worst coming, in terms of looting and lawlessness. But will likely be in for diminished supplies and comfort...and work/income is a genuine concern. 

Your son's job as a barista doesn't exactly sound like a once in a lifetime opportunity- skipping out on that shouldn't factor into his or your thinking at all. If he's in a low risk health category, chances are decent he either won't get it or will get it mildly. So then it's a question of whether he and your family wants the comfort of JB home or his Bklyn apt for when/if he does. I'd bug out back home in his shoes...especially before the zombies arrive. 

btw- sent our son to buy butter and bananas at the gourmet grocery in our building (eta: last night). the line to check out wrapped all the way through the store... about 3x longer than normal. (eta2: I ended up buying the same stuff at the bodega on the next corner without issue or line... just paying bodega prices. the new transplants to the hood thankfully aren't aware of amazing all-inclusive- material-wise- resources bodegas are for neighborhoods)

taking the MTA bus to drop my daughter off at school this morning, passed by two Trader Joe's (Evil & Union Sq)... both with lines stretching out onto the sidewalk all the way to the corner (couple hundred feet)- at 7:30 this morning. 

diblasio's NYC state of emergency seems to have lit the fire.

will be interesting to see how people act if/when things get tighter with supplies/food. that week after Sandy, my LES EVil hood was mostly empty and closed, but those that stuck it out were genuinely amazing with each other. Post 9/11 was like that too (even if the run on the stores the day of was pretty lord of the flies). I'm hoping/expecting more of the same here- and also hoping/expecting it not to get the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
keeping us all home today - got a feeling the schools are gonna be closed starting Monday, so why risk my kid one more day - she has only had one absence all year, back in September for a twisted ankle.  

my gf will be impacted quite severely, as the great majority of her cases deal with visiting spectrum kids in their classrooms ... see above about the impending school closings, no need to risk her today, either.  

gonna be a tough few weeks here ... they both are more likely to contact it, but are both extremely healthy and fit, so odds are veryveryvery high in their recovery favor  - i am lower risk to contact, imo - but a far greater risk if infected, seeing as how i have had various lung issues over the past 25 yrs (2 pack a day smoker, but in great physical shape otherwise).

we're dutifully stocked up on all essentials, enough to last a month - only thing i have yet to stockpile is the booze ... as lovely as being hammered through this time is so appealing, it also greatly weakens one's natural defenses ...and i wanna be on my game for them.

meh .... HOME is the spot for us all today. 

Triskaidekaphobia?

or prudence?

Our school allows it to be an excused absence at this point.  My kids are out of school at this point.  I pulled them yesterday midday when learned a parent of a kids had Covid (none of my kids were in class with his kids).  Apparently he had been in LA for about a week.  

@Joe Bryant

I've been here more than 30 years...nothing in that time (thinking of crack/homelessness, 9/11 and Sandy) feels like this- in terms of how rapidly the situation is changing and genuinely not knowing what the next 24 hours will bring, let alone weeks or month. I suppose 9/11 is the closest...but after a day I knew nothing else was happening...and we also NYC and NYCers at their collective best in the months following.

Part of me feels that with all the resources and infrastructure available here- that it's a good place to be. But of course there's the close proximity to millions of other people, including lots of visitors... the virus will no doubt hit hard here pdq.

I don't subscribe to FCs paranoia about the worst coming, in terms of looting and lawlessness. But will likely be in for diminished supplies and comfort...and work/income is a genuine concern. 

Your son's job as a barista doesn't exactly sound like a once in a lifetime opportunity- skipping out on that shouldn't factor into his or your thinking at all. If he's in a low risk health category, chances are decent he either won't get it or will get it mildly. So then it's a question of whether he and your family wants the comfort of JB home or his Bklyn apt for when/if he does. I'd bug out back home in his shoes...especially before the zombies arrive. 
I feel like NYC will be ok unless this becomes a societal meltdown.  At that point, think we are all in trouble.  We are well stocked in my house in BK and plan to hang out here.  Might bug out to beach house on NJ if it gets bad but honestly if we are at that point I can't imagine NJ shore being much better.  

@Joe Bryant

Thank you so much. Very appreciated. I think it is a lot of what you’re saying and that the “cost“ of quitting his barista job is not very high. It really just accelerates the plan he’s already on. I know he feels some sense of not wanting to “run home“ but that also gets balanced with what the realistic options are and what’s best for him. Thanks for the feedback and insights 

I feel like NYC will be ok unless this becomes a societal meltdown.  At that point, think we are all in trouble.  We are well stocked in my house in BK and plan to hang out here.  Might bug out to beach house on NJ if it gets bad but honestly if we are at that point I can't imagine NJ shore being much better.  
i'd love to bug out to LBI or Wildwood or (mostly) Cape May right about now ... safest places in that milieu, imo.  

I guess. :shrug: Unless you get sick and have to rely on people and a place you're not entirely comfortable or at home with.
i trust the ERs in those locales will be far from the rolicking #### shows we'll experience up here ... when was the last time you sat in one of the local ones?

that said, yeah ... i'm staying put, for now - but if i had any of the options i mentioned, i'd be typing in sand right now. 

i'd love to bug out to LBI or Wildwood or (mostly) Cape May right about now ... safest places in that milieu, imo.  
Yeah, we may bug out end of next week depending how things look.  Much easier to be here as our beach house is pretty closed down at this point (not much in the house as we rarely use for winter).  Would need to bring all of our stuff we have here down there.  

Yeah, we may bug out end of next week depending how things look.  Much easier to be here as our beach house is pretty closed down at this point (not much in the house as we rarely use for winter).  Would need to back all our stuff we have here down there.  
Just mentioned in the flu thread that we're considering heading to inlaws beach spot near OC, MD. (Ocean pines)

Issues...

Finally got the all clear for WFH, but starting a new project next week where I'd need to physically be able to go to the office (and Chicago) as needed.

We have two cats.

We have no car.

We'd have to stock up on stuff down there...if there's still stuff left to stock up with. 

NYC still hasn't cancelled school, but I think they will for Monday onwards considering LA just shut down.

i trust the ERs in those locales will be far from the rolicking #### shows we'll experience up here ... when was the last time you sat in one of the local ones?

that said, yeah ... i'm staying put, for now - but if i had any of the options i mentioned, i'd be typing in sand right now. 
Considering the horror shows I've seen in the ERs here...when you're right, you're right.

total NYC confirmed coronavirus cases: 

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 - 11
  • 3/8 - 12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 - 36
  • 3/11 - 52
  • 3/12 - 95
  • 3/13 - 154

Are the totals something I should stop posting and put in the first post for those interested? Maybe too much to see everyday?

Are the totals something I should stop posting and put in the first post for those interested? Maybe too much to see everyday?
Go ahead and post, I think useful. Also, like go see my other NYers still going strong. 
Agreed.

And the big covid thread is tough to get through. Great to see this here and hopefully get the local info as well.

In that regard, schools are still on school by school basis if/when staff/students test positive.

From Bill

My fellow New Yorkers:

Things are moving very quickly when it comes to coronavirus. Over the last 24 hours, New Yorkers have been bombarded by a flood of new information and changes to daily life.

I know a lot of you are confused and worried about what all of this means to you and your loved ones.

Yesterday, I declared a State of Emergency in New York City. I want to lay out exactly what that means.

This emergency order invests the government with powers it needs in times of crisis so we can protect New Yorkers. Some of those powers we’re using right now. Others are there for the day they might be needed in the weeks ahead.

Let’s start with what’s happening right now.

The State has set out rules, consistent with our own emergency powers, to cancel large gatherings and limit how many people can be in congregate in venues and establishments all over the city.

The Governor and I are in full agreement on the need for these steps. Parades, rallies, concerts, sporting events and conferences with more than 500 people are canceled as of Friday, March 13th. For establishments like bars, restaurants and banquet halls with a capacity under 500, we’re mandating they cut their occupancy by half to open up space and help people social distance.

We don’t make these decisions lightly. The serious impact these actions will have on businesses and hardworking families will be painful. But they are absolutely necessary. We’ve seen in other parts of the world that measures to create more personal space make it harder for coronavirus to spread rapidly.

That’s where we are today. So what about the days ahead?

The emergency order gives us the power we need to stop price gouging, rework rules that restrict the job descriptions of public workers and put City facilities to emergency use. We can order hospitals to postpone elective procedures so we can prioritize fighting coronavirus.

The more drastic powers — things like shutting down transit, establishing curfews, and ordering people out of streets and public spaces — are last resorts. We’ll use them if and when they are absolutely necessary to protect the health and well-being of New Yorkers.

You have the largest, strongest City government in the country, and we’ve been preparing for this since the first alerts about coronavirus in January. We are preserving the basic services you rely on every single day. The sun will rise tomorrow and your city will rise to meet it.

There are a lot of rumors and misinformation at a time like this. We will continue to provide New Yorkers with the most up to date information available. Text COVID to 692692, go to nyc.gov/coronavirus or call 311 to get constant updates and stay in the know.

Your Mayor,

Bill de Blasio

Thank you so much. Very appreciated. I think it is a lot of what you’re saying and that the “cost“ of quitting his barista job is not very high. It really just accelerates the plan he’s already on. I know he feels some sense of not wanting to “run home“ but that also gets balanced with what the realistic options are and what’s best for him. Thanks for the feedback and insights 
Keep us posted on your son.  

total NYC confirmed coronavirus cases: (deaths) 

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 - 11
  • 3/8 - 12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 - 36
  • 3/11 - 52
  • 3/12 - 95
  • 3/13 - 154
  • 3/14 - 269 - (1)

Have we discussed being pro or con getting takeout during all of this? No to everything? Takeout ok but delivery not (extra set of hands)? All good?

Have we discussed being pro or con getting takeout during all of this? No to everything? Takeout ok but delivery not (extra set of hands)? All good?
We had Mexican delivered last night. Does feel a little weird though. Give them a little extra tip!

I got takeout for lunch today and will probably get pizza later for dinner, but I've always been a risk taker.

Got pizza last night for our Friday night pizza. Opened pizza boxes and then washed hands and then handed out pizza to fam. If I got it from that we are all ####ed. 

We ordered in the night before last.

As long as you wipe all the food down with antisepetic wipes, I'm pretty sure it's all good.

Yeah, it's so hard to work out. I get the bag from the delivery, go and wash my hands while my wife puts out the food. But it's Mexican, so she picks it up by hand and puts it on the plate, AFTER OPENING THE BAG.  Then washes her hands. Now, is the food contaminated. Damn it! So hard to figure this out.

My brother in law is an ER doc in the Philly area and I just asked him about this. Said getting delivery is better than going to the supermarket to get food on your own with so many people there at any given time, having already touched so many things, etc

1st death in NYC. 82-year-old Brooklyn woman. One other in Suffern, NY
Not for nothing but 1/251 is 0.3% which is flu type # and you know there are a lot more people than 251 that have this right now. I think with all the restrictions put in place we should be able to flatten the curve. 

I went to the schoolyard with my son today. He played basketball with his friends. I went to tile store. Our contractor came over. I ordered pizza yesterday. Got my bagel and coffee today. Just making sure I wash hands. Gotta live life. I refuse to stay in my house for a month unless forced to.

I kept my son home from school Friday but probably will send him on Monday. Ridiculous that they're not closed. A student in Staten island just tested positive and even that school will be open Monday. How ridiculous. Supposedly teachers are planning a sickout on Wednesday. 

Not for nothing but 1/251 is 0.3% which is flu type # and you know there are a lot more people than 251 that have this right now. I think with all the restrictions put in place we should be able to flatten the curve. 

I went to the schoolyard with my son today. He played basketball with his friends. I went to tile store. Our contractor came over. I ordered pizza yesterday. Got my bagel and coffee today. Just making sure I wash hands. Gotta live life. I refuse to stay in my house for a month unless forced to.

I kept my son home from school Friday but probably will send him on Monday. Ridiculous that they're not closed. A student in Staten island just tested positive and even that school will be open Monday. How ridiculous. Supposedly teachers are planning a sickout on Wednesday. 
I hear ya but keep going back to other countries. On 2/22, Italy had 227 cases and 7 deaths. Now they have over 21,000 cases and almost 1500 dead. In 3 weeks. I'm sure a lot of people there had the same thoughts. The more people stay in for a few weeks in these early stages, the better.

I hear ya but keep going back to other countries. On 2/22, Italy had 227 cases and 7 deaths. Now they have over 21,000 cases and almost 1500 dead. In 3 weeks. I'm sure a lot of people there had the same thoughts. The more people stay in for a few weeks in these early stages, the better.
And when did they start closing everything? Wasn't it in march? We are well ahead of them on that, no?

And when did they start closing everything? Wasn't it in march? We are well ahead of them on that, no?
No, we're not.

But hopefully what we're doing now helps.

The school closures are a tough call. On one hand, yeah- limit exposure and spread. On the other hand, if these kids are now home, is a parent there too? Are the kids staying isolated or going to hang out with friends, or worse- grandparents. The spread is likely less, but the economics for people having to take care of their younger kids is now much, much worse.

Health should trump all...but I do get the sense diblasio is taking all of this into consideration- which I respect.

I hope they close the public schools in the boroughs. I understand that many kids get food and it provides a place for them to go. I don’t claim to have all the answers for that, but closing the schools seems like the prudent choice now.

Mr. Cuomo reiterated on Saturday that jumps in the number of cases were more a reflection of the state’s ability to test people than of the outbreak’s severity.
It'll be great if the growth curve here doesn't follow the same curve it's been every single other place on the planet...and while I hope for that, I don't expect much difference.

It'll be great if the growth curve here doesn't follow the same curve it's been every single other place on the planet...and while I hope for that, I don't expect much difference.
kinda expect us to be more Italy than ROK but 

but not much we can do except do your part, stay home & hope for the best

Just to show you that it isn’t just DeBlasio, my wife’s bulge bracket firm is forcing 50% of their employees to work on site on Monday even those that aren’t mission critical in their BCP. Just asinine, but the acting CEO (his last name is a bean for those that can Google) wants to make money.  Apparently they had 10% of the workforce show up on Friday and that wasn’t “acceptable”.

Users who are viewing this thread