Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
jamny

***New York***

45 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Hearing they are running into administrative issues in addition to union stuff making headlines.  You almost need twice as many teachers for dual schedule since teachers can’t teach both remote and in person at the same time. 

Our elementary principal has been furious with Carranza and deblasio in his weekly zoom talks with parents... The two keep making public statements about schools that the principals are hearing for the first time in the news- zero coordination. And zero help or advice with how on earth they were supposed to make it all actually happen.

He's been saying for more than a month they need time to make all of this physically happen in the schools for live teaching, let alone set up digitally. And the teachers union won't let the teachers go in early (before first official teacher check in day) to help set any of this up...because they've been waiting on answers too about how it's supposed to work to keep kids and staff safe.

So instead of coordinating all of this a month or two or three ago when the questions started being asked- engage the principals and teachers unions to get things set up BEFORE the first day of school, nothing was done, the teachers had to threaten to strike and the principal's had to wait until that part was resolved. 9 ####### days before school was supposed to start.

Carranza completely dropped the ball. And deblasio watched it happen. Each with their own agendas to push instead of what's best and makes sense for the kids. That said- I don't even know if the teachers union would have let them come in early to set up...I kind of doubt it. Heaven forbid they have to sacrifice a little- as if nobody else's lives were turned upside down by all of this.

:hot:

• Like 1

Deblasio is just awful. Have been hearing the same exact story from teachers at my kids school. 

18 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Deblasio is just awful. Have been hearing the same exact story from teachers at my kids school. 

I've been, if not a fan, at least supportive of some of the things Bill has done or tried to do. UPK, bike lanes at the forefront...and at least lip service to noting the problems of racial and economic inequalities (even if I'm not seeing any actual help or change there). But he screwed the pooch with COVID at the beginning and this school thing (including his railroading a plan to essentially eliminate the SHSAT high schools) have been just awful.

Any of you guys go through the HS process recently?

Floppinho is about to enter 8th grade- applying to all manner of high schools from NYC Public (typical application process reviews their 7th grade attendance, tests and grades...none of which were counted for them, and still zero word how they'll approach it- thanks Carranza), NYC private schools and boarding schools.

He's a great test taker, and had great grades- if anybody's even going to look. We love some of the private schools and boarding schools, but we'd have to get almost full scholarship/financial aid to have any way for him to attend. Sucks that looking at these are getting his hopes up, when I'm confident that they'll reject us purely because of my financials.

His current school continues into HS, but is more of a music conservatory prep than standard HS. The HS is new and the students have been matriculating to better colleges each year, along with music conservatories, but the academics are still an uncertainty relative to other traditional HSs. It's also in the basement of a shared HS building, and as a result of poor air, going fully remote.

So many unknowns. I feel so bad for all these kids who've worked so hard to get to this point only to be met with a rash of uncertainty.

On 9/7/2020 at 4:14 PM, El Floppo said:

Any of you guys go through the HS process recently?

Floppinho is about to enter 8th grade- applying to all manner of high schools from NYC Public (typical application process reviews their 7th grade attendance, tests and grades...none of which were counted for them, and still zero word how they'll approach it- thanks Carranza), NYC private schools and boarding schools.

He's a great test taker, and had great grades- if anybody's even going to look. We love some of the private schools and boarding schools, but we'd have to get almost full scholarship/financial aid to have any way for him to attend. Sucks that looking at these are getting his hopes up, when I'm confident that they'll reject us purely because of my financials.

His current school continues into HS, but is more of a music conservatory prep than standard HS. The HS is new and the students have been matriculating to better colleges each year, along with music conservatories, but the academics are still an uncertainty relative to other traditional HSs. It's also in the basement of a shared HS building, and as a result of poor air, going fully remote.

So many unknowns. I feel so bad for all these kids who've worked so hard to get to this point only to be met with a rash of uncertainty.

Send me a copy of your three-ring binder when it’s over (7th grade this fall.)

We’ll probably audition into the RL Fame High School but will also test for one of three super achiever specialized schools as well. She’s either gonna be a prime ballerina or a physician.

:lmao:

• Like 1

Hey, I signed a lease yesterday. Centralish Harlem (north of gentrified Harlem; LMK if you’ve developed a crack habit, I can probably hook you up.) SEE the utter thread about the homeless vet bum looking for gubermint cheese.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Send me a copy of your three-ring binder when it’s over (7th grade this fall.)

We’ll probably audition into the RL Fame High School but will also test for one of three super achiever specialized schools as well. She’s either gonna be a prime ballerina or a physician.

:lmao:

Floppinhos auditioning for the music AND acting program at LaGuardia. Music isn't as good there as at his current school, and the relative academics are an uncertain. They do have more history, so colleges know it better. Also a huge school (plusses and minuses). Only 40ish kids per grade at SMS HS.

Do they have a dance major there? There's PPAS as well with dance, but not dance-centric...part of acting and singing, and academics nowhere near as good. Still not considering ballet tech?

And there are 8 schools in the shsat route, not just stuy, bkln tech and bronx science. Lots of other good schools out there too..I think Frank Sinatra has a good performing arts and academics rep.

46 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

And I say ballerina MD

That's Doctor En Pointe to you, guy.

48 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Floppinhos auditioning for the music AND acting program at LaGuardia. Music isn't as good there as at his current school, and the relative academics are an uncertain. They do have more history, so colleges know it better. Also a huge school (plusses and minuses). Only 40ish kids per grade at SMS HS.

Do they have a dance major there? There's PPAS as well with dance, but not dance-centric...part of acting and singing, and academics nowhere near as good. Still not considering ballet tech?

And there are 8 schools in the shsat route, not just stuy, bkln tech and bronx science. Lots of other good schools out there too..I think Frank Sinatra has a good performing arts and academics rep.

Sorry, my glazed over again. This is where I usually nod and say "Sounds like you've researched this incredibly deeply, Momma. What do you think she should do? What does she want to do?"

No sense getting too deep into it, we only need one SME per family amiright?

Hello? Anybody still here?

How’s life in the anarchist jurisdiction for the other survivors?

1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

Hello? Anybody still here?

How’s life in the anarchist jurisdiction for the other survivors?

I am here.  My sense is the end of NYC has been greatly exaggerated.  Makes a great news story but this weekend honestly felt like any normal weekend where I live except everyone is wearing masks.

• Like 1

there wont be an end.  but there does seem to be a mass exodus to the burbs.  At least to where i am.  Im curious to see the numbers actually of people that have left.

4 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

there wont be an end.  but there does seem to be a mass exodus to the burbs.  At least to where i am.  Im curious to see the numbers actually of people that have left.

Definately a move to the burbs is happening.  I do think it is a lot of folks who were going to move anyway.  At least in my circle, the folks I hear that are leaving had always said they would probably move to burbs but their plans speed up.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Redwes25 said:

Definately a move to the burbs is happening.  I do think it is a lot of folks who were going to move anyway.  At least in my circle, the folks I hear that are leaving had always said they would probably move to burbs but their plans speed up.  

Co-sign. 

3 hours ago, RUSF18 said:

Co-sign. 

Triplicate.

The people leaving seem like they never really liked it here when even things weren't problematic. 

My main concern is about commercial real estate and whether offices and people are going to stay vacated or wfh. The city and all the industries and jobs that support that influx of people every day...if theres no influx, what happens to those spaces, jobs and people...that's my concern.

I've been back in an office for the last week. Sucks. Mostly because I can't go out and play around with the kids in the middle of the day, or go for a run when I want. Sucks wearing a mask all day too. But doesn't suck finally getting paid.

But damn...these have been some gorgeous NYC spetember days lately. 

Just now, El Floppo said:

Triplicate.

The people leaving seem like they never really liked it here when even things weren't problematic. 

My main concern is about commercial real estate and whether offices and people are going to stay vacated or wfh. The city and all the industries and jobs that support that influx of people every day...if theres no influx, what happens to those spaces, jobs and people...that's my concern.

I've been back in an office for the last week. Sucks. Mostly because I can't go out and play around with the kids in the middle of the day, or go for a run when I want. Sucks wearing a mask all day too. But doesn't suck finally getting paid.

A lot of companies seem to be downsizing office space and allowing folks to wfh.  Figure if this works you hire someone from outside the metro area and pay the me less.  I do see people returning but i don’t think to the extent that they were.  Which means there should be really good buying opportunities :popcorn: 

On 9/21/2020 at 10:58 AM, Redwes25 said:

I am here.  My sense is the end of NYC has been greatly exaggerated.  Makes a great news story but this weekend honestly felt like any normal weekend where I live except everyone is wearing masks.

It’s just not the same anymore

• Thinking 1

18 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

LOL - Will say subways are cleanest I have ever seen them (though have only been on them once or twice in last few months).  

what sort of cleaning and disinfecting are they doing these days on the subways.  I cant see hopping on one for a while.

5 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

what sort of cleaning and disinfecting are they doing these days on the subways.  I cant see hopping on one for a while.

It was nightly. And shutting down lines overnight to do it properly. Not sure if we're still there.

Changes I've seen: Cops clearly not trying on the usual quality of life stuff- whether that's a directive from the mayor, or a reaction to the mayor...end result is the same.

Man, people are being pretty great about masks-seems like even more people on board...except for the college age kids I'm seeing back in my hood, who seem to think if theyre hanging out in a small group of four or six, they're somehow immune. I've been on bus and subway...usually at least one person on the subway not doing the mask...and usually the one doing the most talking.

Now more than ever- stay to the right. Let's leave plenty of room to get by each other on the sidewalks. Center walkers can #### off.

I’ve had two (young women) people get on elevators with me today without a mask. Even though I’m positive for antibodies still makes me uneasy.

I’ve had two (young women) people get on elevators with me today without a mask. Even though I’m positive for antibodies still makes me uneasy.

Did you punch them in their gobs?

Selfish, stupid people deserve punching.

I won't allow someone without a mask on the elevator with me.  It's happened a couple of times in my building and I said either put on your mask or take a different elevator.  Haven't gotten into a fight over it yet.  If there's someone without a mask already on the elevator, I will wait for the next one.

25 minutes ago, RC94 said:

I won't allow someone without a mask on the elevator with me.  It's happened a couple of times in my building and I said either put on your mask or take a different elevator.  Haven't gotten into a fight over it yet.  If there's someone without a mask already on the elevator, I will wait for the next one.

The first time it happened we were already headed down. Like I guess I just presumed everybody in NYC wears one, was thinking WITW? The second time I glared at her & she took the hint, put on the mask that she had in her hand.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:04 PM, El Floppo said:

Triplicate.

My company just got rid of four floors in midtown, including mine, and is looking to pare down more from our HQ next door. Technology is going to make this so bloody. 

Glad you're getting $$$!

• Thinking 1

5 hours ago, RUSF18 said:

My company just got rid of four floors in midtown, including mine, and is looking to pare down more from our HQ next door. Technology is going to make this so bloody. 

Glad you're getting $ $$!

Fyp

Got caught coming back from Brooklyn last weekend. Thought I was good to go but danged if they didn't stop the train in FiDi at 12:45am Sunday night/Monday morning. Ending up riding a CitiBike. Which I normally love but at 1am not so much. Thanks MTA!

My old company is leaving it's office space (1.75 floors on a Class C bldg across the street from Bryant Park.) They've basically been paying $20K a month the last six months so the COO can open the mail and make the bank deposit every day. Rest of the company is wfh and are all over the country rn.

9 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Got caught coming back from Brooklyn last weekend. Thought I was good to go but danged if they didn't stop the train in FiDi at 12:45am Sunday night/Monday morning. Ending up riding a CitiBike. Which I normally love but at 1am not so much. Thanks MTA!

My old company is leaving it's office space (1.75 floors on a Class C bldg across the street from Bryant Park.) They've basically been paying $20K a month the last six months so the COO can open the mail and make the bank deposit every day. Rest of the company is wfh and are all over the country rn.

Forgot/didn't realize they were still shutting things down on the subways.

The LES EVil is back to full moronic party capacity. I assume those people are ubering.

29 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Forgot/didn't realize they were still shutting things down on the subways.

The LES EVil is back to full moronic party capacity. I assume those people are ubering.

Did they bring back the vomit in your doorway?  That sounded like fun.

• Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

Anybody doing early voting today?

I think @jamny said he voted by mail but he's headed for the high desert soon.

Does anyone still live here besides me and Flop?

I haven't decided when I'm going to vote, or where the early voting is happening. I think it's going to be busy at the polls this weekend, and I've got a ton to do, so either next weekend or election day.

I was going to vote by mail since we wont be here on Election Day but since the polls are open this week, we'll be going probably Tuesday.

Is this the first time polls were open this early? Because of Covid?

• Like 1

If you're ever looking to sell (or buy) quality furniture,  check out Kaiyo.com They just picked up a few pieces from us. They put it on their website and you get a percentage of the selling price. Better than having people coming into the house and haggling on price.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jamny said:

I was going to vote by mail since we wont be here on Election Day but since the polls are open this week, we'll be going probably Tuesday.

Is this the first time polls were open this early? Because of Covid?

I think so? But I guess maybe it’s just being emphasized so much this year, not sure.

On 10/24/2020 at 10:35 AM, jamny said:

If you're ever looking to sell (or buy) quality furniture,  check out Kaiyo.com They just picked up a few pieces from us. They put it on their website and you get a percentage of the selling price. Better than having people coming into the house and haggling on price.

Link

They finally listed our furniture, other pieces below. A little weird seeing them on a website. A little sentimental I guess. I hope they all find a nice home.

On 10/24/2020 at 8:53 AM, BobbyLayne said:

I voted by mail and still live here.  

Edited by Redwes25

I get to the voting site by bus this morning, no line, right in and...wrong spot. :doh:  :bag:

I foolishly thought I could early vote anywhere as long as I had my voter card. Don't be me. Check where you're supposed to early vote. At least there wasn't a line...that would've suuuucked.

• Laughing 1

If it ever stops raining, I'll go and vote today. Walkable from where we live.

Just saw a NYPD SUV plow into a Wrangler crossing 3rd Ave on 48th. The Jeep had the light, cop changed lanes & turned on his police lights on at the last second (no siren.) Crumpled the front end, radiator leaking, trim & headlight pieces everywhere. The Wrangler got spun around 120 degrees, virtually no damage (little indentation  on the plastic running board.) 6 units and an ambulance within 5 minutes. No injuries. Cop looks like he feels awful, 100% in the wrong. I gave a statement.

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Thinking 1

I spent the night rioting and looting. You guys?

7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I wanted to, but had to be at work early.  Maybe this weekend, if I get yard work done first.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I threw up in your doorway again.

• Love 1

16 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Peeling plywood off stores, low key looting

On 11/4/2020 at 9:40 AM, El Floppo said:

Drinking my nerves away

• Like 1

Btw, the right leaning side of my news feed looooved headlining reports of riots in nyc last night. I assume the 20 morons setting stuff on fire after a peaceful protest constitutes a riot.

Great day to be a New Yorker. Went to Grand Army Plaza with my family. It was something special to be at a memorial for the Grand Army of the Republic.  An army my ancestors were members of and fought with to save this country. To stand next to that memorial and to see the joy of us moving on from the last four years was something special that I will never forget. 

Edited by Redwes25
  • Love 1

The spontaneous and lengthy collective eruption of joy... :wub:

I might be just a little hung over today.

• Like 1