What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (3 Viewers)

Enjoy the last years of New York, because its going to get annihilated by terrorist attacks. Everyone willing to live and work in that city I consider to be very brave, because they are basically surrendering their lives in the hopes of living as a free people. But they are going to die.
OK, someone is absolutely pushing this BGP alias over the top. This shtick is absurd.

Enjoy the last years of New York, because its going to get annihilated by terrorist attacks. Everyone willing to live and work in that city I consider to be very brave, because they are basically surrendering their lives in the hopes of living as a free people. But they are going to die.
:confused:

Don't forget parking, I have heard people have paid $450 a month, you can probably get a spot for $250 but I imagine they are far and few between.
Bah. Maybe in Manhattan in some ritzier neighborhoods. Depends on where you live. I was able to park for free for three years living in New York. You just have to be resourceful.
Resourceful in ways other than having to spend hours waiting for the street cleaner to come by? Or resourceful in ways other than living in Manhattan? I've watched my friends with cars spend so much time dealing with moving them around on the street or trying to find parking, it seems worth the $250 and up to get a garage spot somewhere.Of course, I've lived here 20 years and never owned a car, so it's very easy for me to say.
There are some neighborhoods where you simply can't have a car, unless you are paying for a spot. But New Yorkers are resourceful. I have a friend who has a car, she lives on the UES, 1st and 71st, I think. Street cleaning is part of her routine. She grabs her coffee, phone, the Post, and sits it her car. She uses the time well, answering calls and stuff, doing some other stuff for work. She's been doing it for years. The whole thing seems absurd to me, and I did have a car in the city. But I lived in Greenpoint, and on-street parking was easy.

But for her, it was worth it. It was part of her routine, and she also was mobile. Had a few days off? She was gone, down to AC, or to the Hamptons. There's a lot of New Yorkers that rarely leave NYC, it's easy to get stuck in the city.

I loved having a car in the city. I had to learn a lesson about parking tickets and getting towed, to the point that the lady at the Marshal's office knew my face, but once I wised up, it was great. I always disliked the refusal some people had to go anywhere outside their 'zone', because it was too far. If you were in the LES, and someone mentioned a party on the Upper West Side, no one would ever go. Because it was 'too far'. In a car, at night, you're there in less than 15 minutes.

I saw a lot more of NYC because I had a car when I lived there.
Having a car is definitely a nice perk- no argument there.Of course, they have these things called "taxis" and "rental cars"- that don't require garage fees, time spent waiting for the street cleaner or finding parking, insurance, etc.

I could have inherited a car this year- a hybrid at that. Sat down, figured out our needs, relative expenses and quickly came to the realization that between public transportation, taxis and rental cars we more than take care of our needs. Opted not to take the car.

That said- if I didn't have to deal with the expense and time of keeping a car here, I know we'd be heading up to the Catskills or to the beach more than we already do. But the time and expense weren't worth it for me.

Greenpoint? Man- you have to have a car out there unless you want to rely on the chug, chug, chug... G train.

OK, someone is absolutely pushing this BGP alias over the top. This shtick is absurd.
:goodposting: :loco: And I thought the trrsts were more worried about things like Cleveland's world largest ball of wax museum and the like- isn't that where the federal anti-terrorist funding is going?

Greenpoint? Man- you have to have a car out there unless you want to rely on the chug, chug, chug... G train.
Heh heh. That's exactly what I mean. "Greenpoint? Man, all the way out there......." New Yorkers lose all concept of distance. From my front door, I was on Houston Street in 10 minutes. I loved being in Greenpoint. Plenty of parking, the BQE was right there, so I could get uptown in no time if I needed. Very underrated neighborhood. Not hip, unless Polish families are suddenly cool, but I was sharing a nice two bedroom apartment that was only $1600.The G Train? Ooof, no way. Otherwise known as the Ghost Train.

I'm heading to NYC June 1st & 2nd (Fri/Sat). Anything I should do, I've been before and hung a lot around Chinatown and the lower side. Thinking Coney Island but don't anything Warriors-esque :blackdot: . Touring Yankee stadium(theyre on the road that week or I'd go to a game) and the Empire State Building on my to do list.

Righetti lives in Park Slope..come and get a :rant:
I was just up there this weekend. My brother spins at the patio lounge on 5th ave.Nice little laid back spot. Had a good time drinking with friends I haven't seen in a while and afterwards tried a "pope of 5th ave." sandwhich from the market next door. Mighty fine sammich!The drive back and forth from Jersey over to Brooklyn was one major pain in the ###!

I'm heading to NYC June 1st & 2nd (Fri/Sat). Anything I should do, I've been before and hung a lot around Chinatown and the lower side. Thinking Coney Island but don't anything Warriors-esque :boxing: . Touring Yankee stadium(theyre on the road that week or I'd go to a game) and the Empire State Building on my to do list.
If the stadium tour guide's name is Tony, he doesn't have a right hand. Don't embarrass yourself like I did.Some neat FREE things you can do:-Huge panel of the Berlin Wall on 53rd St. I think between 5th and 6th, but possibly a block east.-Sam Adams' tombstone is at Trinity Church.-Gutenberg Bible at NY Public Library.-See The Dakota at 72nd and Central Park West, where John Lennon was shot.-Ride the Staten Island Ferry. Yes it's free and offers great Statue of Liberty and Downtown views.-See the Seinfeld diner at 110th St. and B'way.-Visit President Grant's tomb in Riverside Park.I'll try to think of some more.

:bag: :lmao: :lmao:

sorry about this partial thread jack.My 11 yr old son and I are headed to NYC in late June while my wife and daughter are in London. We're planning on spending parts of two days in Brooklyn.We're planning on a day at Coney Island since Astroland is closing after this season, followed by a Cyclones game at Keyspan Park. Anybody have any experience with this itinerary, or suggestions about where to eat down there? Is Totonno's pizza worth the trip?I'm also interested in feedback on the MTA Transit Museum and places to eat near Montague Streets.
Coney Island is a great time.. Boardwalk, Nathan's, The Cyclone.. if you have a chance catch a Cyclones game while you ar ethere...MTA transit museum.. never been but the museum puts on an outdoor display during the big Atlantic Antic streetfair. Kinda cool but i'm not sure if it's worth a whole trip.. They bring out a bunch of old buses, trains and subways which is kinda cool but again more to take a quick picture before you buy a bag of zepolis than a full day IMHO..
Never been to the transit musuem so I can't give any advice about it. Though I did hear it was recently renovated. But there might be better uses for your time. I would check out prospect park, grand army plaza, the botantical gardens and the Brooklyn Musuem of Art. All very easy to get to from Park Slope, which is a great neighborhood as pointed out in this thread.Checking out Coney island day and doing a cyclones game is a good time. There is also an Aquarium in Coney Island but I have never been to it so I can't say if it is any good.Also, be sure to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. P.S. The wife and I live in Carroll Gardens and love it.

I'm heading to NYC June 1st & 2nd (Fri/Sat). Anything I should do, I've been before and hung a lot around Chinatown and the lower side. Thinking Coney Island but don't anything Warriors-esque :o . Touring Yankee stadium(theyre on the road that week or I'd go to a game) and the Empire State Building on my to do list.
If the stadium tour guide's name is Tony, he doesn't have a right hand. Don't embarrass yourself like I did.Some neat FREE things you can do:

-Huge panel of the Berlin Wall on 53rd St. I think between 5th and 6th, but possibly a block east.

-Sam Adams' tombstone is at Trinity Church.

-Gutenberg Bible at NY Public Library.

-See The Dakota at 72nd and Central Park West, where John Lennon was shot.

-Ride the Staten Island Ferry. Yes it's free and offers great Statue of Liberty and Downtown views.

-See the Seinfeld diner at 110th St. and B'way.

-Visit President Grant's tomb in Riverside Park.

I'll try to think of some more.
So in :pickle:

I'm heading to NYC June 1st & 2nd (Fri/Sat). Anything I should do, I've been before and hung a lot around Chinatown and the lower side. Thinking Coney Island but don't anything Warriors-esque :shrug: . Touring Yankee stadium(theyre on the road that week or I'd go to a game) and the Empire State Building on my to do list.
If the stadium tour guide's name is Tony, he doesn't have a right hand. Don't embarrass yourself like I did.Some neat FREE things you can do:

-Huge panel of the Berlin Wall on 53rd St. I think between 5th and 6th, but possibly a block east.

-Ride the Staten Island Ferry. Yes it's free and offers great Statue of Liberty and Downtown views.

-See the Seinfeld diner at 110th 112th St. and B'way.

I've lived here for 20 years and never knew about those first three... thanks! :lmao: If you go up to the Seinfeld Diner, also go to Columbia University 116th & Bwy, Cathedral of St John the Divine (largest Gothic church in the US) at Amsterdam & 112th (down the street from Tom's Restaurant).

- Boat Basin Cafe- Riverside Park and 79th st, nice scene for getting a drink or burger/dog while watching the sunset.

- WTC site... go check out all the progress they've made :mellow:

- Ellis island is actually very cool to check out.

- I'll back the Coney Island trip- take in a freak-show too if they're still around (been awhile since I've been out there)

- Drinks/Tapas on the Lower East Side.

I'll also try and think of more.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right, a thread just about New York. Heading into Prospect Park tomorrow. Any good restaurant recommendations?
I was there that day, wish I'd clicked here earlier. Spent the day in Prospect Park (it was beautiful out) and could have given you tons of great restaurant options.
since we fully intend on going back a lot during the summer, any restaurant recs are still welcome.

Let me just say- the last week or two, the E.Vil. has been chock full o' unbelievably hot girls. Non-stop day or night.

I'm sure Red Hook's nice too :lmao:

Red Hook... only driven through it, never stopped. I have a few "cool" artist friends who have moved out there over the years- been hearing there's a decent scene there with bars, galleries restaurants and such.

With no subway line, I don't see it in my future. You been?

How's Red Hook?Worth checking out?
Live in Carrol Gardens so Red Hook is not to far away. I rarely ever go there except to hit up the Fairway, which is basically a whole foods. Rarely even go there for drinks and dinner b/c I prefer smith street, which is a couple of blocks from my apartment.Definately worth the trip.

Anyone belong to Equinox? I just spoke to a coworker and it was quite a bit more then I expected. He said initiation was $400 and $135 a month - no contract. If you want to use more then one gym they up the initiation to $500 and you have to pay $160 a month, so if I want to use one near my apartment and then one near the office (both in nyc) I would have to go with option 2. I have joined nysc and hated it, always have to wait for equipment unless you go at really odd hours.

Live in Carrol Gardens so Red Hook is not to far away. I rarely ever go there except to hit up the Fairway, which is basically a whole foods. Rarely even go there for drinks and dinner b/c I prefer smith street, which is a couple of blocks from my apartment.Definately worth the trip.
I am on Smith and in the area often - one of my best friends lives close to the Tunnel, by Columbia and something or other.

Anyone belong to Equinox? I just spoke to a coworker and it was quite a bit more then I expected. He said initiation was $400 and $135 a month - no contract. If you want to use more then one gym they up the initiation to $500 and you have to pay $160 a month, so if I want to use one near my apartment and then one near the office (both in nyc) I would have to go with option 2. I have joined nysc and hated it, always have to wait for equipment unless you go at really odd hours.
I belonged years ago and I loved it.The cleanest gym ever. No grunting, panting neandrothals. Lots of hot wimmens... probably rich too. Not so crowded. Solid equipment always well maintained.But it's freaking expensive.Wife and I belong to the Y now and I'm more than happy. I was never a big gym-rat type of guy anyways, so I don't feel the need to be surrounded by lots of gym-people. And whever I go (lunchish time), there's lots of room to do my thing. It's only a year old, so it's in great shape- especially compared to the NYC Rec centers I used to belong to (for the pool)... yikes. Ours also has a pool. Plus I pay less for both of us than what you're quoting for one at equinox, although for a little more I could get access to all the Ys.

I bought an elliptical last night, I figure it costs as much as a full year at Equinox (multi-location package) and has great resale value, I picked this up:

http://www.precor.com/cons/efx/523/

for $2500 and got a Vertical Knee Raise packaged in, it is mint condition guy said he only used it 20 times and the super confirmed he had just purchased it, but he was moving and wanted to unload it.

I bought an elliptical last night, I figure it costs as much as a full year at Equinox (multi-location package) and has great resale value, I picked this up:

http://www.precor.com/cons/efx/523/

for $2500 and got a Vertical Knee Raise packaged in, it is mint condition guy said he only used it 20 times and the super confirmed he had just purchased it, but he was moving and wanted to unload it.
Nice! :unsure: They make great clothes racks- just ask my wife.

I am on Smith and in the area often - one of my best friends lives close to the Tunnel, by Columbia and something or other.
What is worth checking out in Red Hook. Van Brunt looks like it has some interest places but I just have not gotten around to checking it out. I like the fact that if I am out in Smith Street it is a couple of blocks to my place. I also don't know in that exact area.

:thumbup:

I'm heading to NYC June 1st & 2nd (Fri/Sat). Anything I should do, I've been before and hung a lot around Chinatown and the lower side. Thinking Coney Island but don't anything Warriors-esque :coffee: . Touring Yankee stadium(theyre on the road that week or I'd go to a game) and the Empire State Building on my to do list.

-See the Seinfeld diner at 110th 112th St. and B'way.

I've lived here for 20 years and never knew about those first three... thanks! :hey: If you go up to the Seinfeld Diner, also go to Columbia University 116th & Bwy, Cathedral of St John the Divine (largest Gothic church in the US) at Amsterdam & 112th (down the street from Tom's Restaurant).

- Boat Basin Cafe- Riverside Park and 79th st, nice scene for getting a drink or burger/dog while watching the sunset.

- WTC site... go check out all the progress they've made :thumbup:

- Ellis island is actually very cool to check out.

- I'll back the Coney Island trip- take in a freak-show too if they're still around (been awhile since I've been out there)

- Drinks/Tapas on the Lower East Side.

I'll also try and think of more.
Definite must if you're up there. Also, take a lap around The Cathedral School grounds (if facing the church steps, just to the right). They have at least 3 peacocks that roam the grounds -- pretty cool to see in the middle of NYC!jammy -- in Prospect Park, take the electric boat tour through the Lullwater. Very cool. The Prospect Park Zoo is great too, very underrated. And then there is Lefferts Historic House, which was built in the 18th century and offers a glimpse into New York City history. Also, eat at Mary's Fish Camp (just Google it). It's a little pricey, but the Lobster Roll is well worth it. Also go to the Chocolate Room after for desert. Ask for Naomi & John and tell them Mike Mohr sent you. If you have some time, take a tour of the Sixpoint Brewery. Easily some of the best beers I've tasted, this is something I have wanted to do for awhile, but keep putting off. Sixpoint website

Zowned -- Arturo's Pizza, corner of Houston & Thompson. Thank me later. Best pizza in NYC.

We'll be arriving in NYC next Friday at 10am...anything about the stock exchange? Is it worth it at all to go check out?

Springtime in NYC- it can be argued back and forth where the nicest place to live is based on whatever factors are important to you. But whatever those factors are, Springtime here- Man... it's the best place on the planet (at least for a few weeks).

Come and get it while the gettings good! (Did I mention the preponderance of hot wimmens, all of whom come pouring scanitly clad out of the woodwork these first few weeks of Spring)

OK, someone is absolutely pushing this BGP alias over the top. This shtick is absurd freaking awesome.
:goodposting:

Have been researching some of the stuff mentioned and put together a site with all the links to various restaurants, sites, tours, etc. for my family to view before coming here to go to NYC with us and thought I'd share it here as well...

NYC Guide

I'm still working on it and also looking for additions. Yankee Stadium and Madison Square Garden sound pretty cool. I removed steakhouses from the list just because it wasn't in any of our budget's by the menus I looked at at Lugers and Palm.

Have been researching some of the stuff mentioned and put together a site with all the links to various restaurants, sites, tours, etc. for my family to view before coming here to go to NYC with us and thought I'd share it here as well...

NYC Guide

I'm still working on it and also looking for additions. Yankee Stadium and Madison Square Garden sound pretty cool. I removed steakhouses from the list just because it wasn't in any of our budget's by the menus I looked at at Lugers and Palm.
Yankee Stadium is cool, Mad square- not so much (big ugly bleh looking thing- only cool if you're inside catching a game).On a quick glance- very cool site you set up... nice work! Off-hand, I'd say to 86 Carmines- that place serves over-garliced dog-food. Even for tourists, it's the suxor. If you go to Katz's, make sure you ask the guy at the door what you're supposed to do- can be confusing- and also make sure to wave to Floppo since I live/work right across the street.

Central Park is also great this time of year- you can rent a row boat for the family and tool around a little lake, or go to the boat-cafe (name?) next to the rentals, althogh it's a little pricey.

Springtime in NYC- it can be argued back and forth where the nicest place to live is based on whatever factors are important to you. But whatever those factors are, Springtime here- Man... it's the best place on the planet (at least for a few weeks).

Come and get it while the gettings good! (Did I mention the preponderance of hot wimmens, all of whom come pouring scanitly clad out of the woodwork these first few weeks of Spring)
:unsure: :lmao: :lmao: :goodposting: God this weather this week is amazing.

And you know what we're gearing up for tonight, right????

Oh yes...

HAPPY HOUR

completely insane

Zowned said:
We'll be arriving in NYC next Friday at 10am...anything about the stock exchange? Is it worth it at all to go check out?
Bump
Well you can't get into the NY stock exchange but if you are going to be all the way downtown to check out trinity church it is worth the two minute walk from there. Also, can check out federal hall, which was the nations first capital and is now a musuem open on weekdays. It is bascilly across the street from the NYSE and a couple of blocks from trinity church. If you are into the stock exchange you can also check out the bull near bowling green. If you are way going that far downtown you might as well check out all the sites down there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zowned said:
Bump
Well you can't get into the NY stock exchange but if you are going to be all the way downtown to check out trinity church it is worth the two minute walk from there. Also, can check out federal hall, which was the nations first capital and is now a musuem open on weekdays. It is bascilly across the street from the NYSE and a couple of blocks from trinity church. If you are into the stock exchange you can also check out the bull near bowling green. If you are way going that far downtown you might as well check out all the sites down there.
Isn't there a viewing gallery or something for tourists? Dunno why I thought that...

Zowned said:
Bump
Isn't there a viewing gallery or something for tourists? Dunno why I thought that...
I think there used to be but after 9/11 I think it is much harder to get in. I got on the floor and gallery recently but that was through a family friend.

Zowned said:
Bump
Link
Cost FREE

Tips Make reservations for limited tours. No cameras.

Free tickets at 9 a.m. for self-guided tours. The admission counter is located outside 20 Broad Street.

I have been to New York probably fifty times or so for work over the past 10 years. I almost always enjoy the trips, but I also almost never get a chance to do anything cool at all, beyond meeting a friend for dinner and/or drinks. I have never been in Central Park, for instance. About the only cool thing I have ever done is go to the observation deck at the top of the WTC (after I interviewed basically next door, guess that worked out okay).

Finally, I am coming out for a weekend in about a month for a buddy's wedding. I am bringing my wife (but no kids) and she has never been there before. Her brother and sister in law live in Chelsea (they are of the hipster set), so I am sure they will have lots of stuff planned for us to do.

Any suggestions of things that we absolutely must do?

I have been to New York probably fifty times or so for work over the past 10 years. I almost always enjoy the trips, but I also almost never get a chance to do anything cool at all, beyond meeting a friend for dinner and/or drinks. I have never been in Central Park, for instance. About the only cool thing I have ever done is go to the observation deck at the top of the WTC (after I interviewed basically next door, guess that worked out okay).

Finally, I am coming out for a weekend in about a month for a buddy's wedding. I am bringing my wife (but no kids) and she has never been there before. Her brother and sister in law live in Chelsea (they are of the hipster set), so I am sure they will have lots of stuff planned for us to do.

Any suggestions of things that we absolutely must do?
LinkI've put a lot of the suggestions from this thread and other NYC threads into the site and also found links to the different sites. I'm heading myself there next Friday and will be going to a lot of the places mentioned there.

Users who are viewing this thread