What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (3 Viewers)

Well I've decided that we will pretty much stick to the plan above with a couple of changes.We are doing the MET on Sunday, and heading over to Two Little Red Hens bakery nearby.Also, I am ditching Delmonico's (it looks like it's owned by a company now - not quite what I was looking for). I did get us in at Peter Luger's at 8:45 PM on New Year's Eve. Hopefully that works out OK.Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let you know how things go.
Good choices. While the cool museums like Tenament etc are definitely worth visiting , for young museum goers and new visitors, you need to see the grandness that is the Met, or one of the other iconic museums.Any desire to be someplace at midnight? 8:45 at Luger probably gets you out around 10:15 the latest, as, it's not a slow dining place.

Well I've decided that we will pretty much stick to the plan above with a couple of changes.We are doing the MET on Sunday, and heading over to Two Little Red Hens bakery nearby.Also, I am ditching Delmonico's (it looks like it's owned by a company now - not quite what I was looking for). I did get us in at Peter Luger's at 8:45 PM on New Year's Eve. Hopefully that works out OK.Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let you know how things go.
Good choices. While the cool museums like Tenament etc are definitely worth visiting , for young museum goers and new visitors, you need to see the grandness that is the Met, or one of the other iconic museums.Any desire to be someplace at midnight? 8:45 at Luger probably gets you out around 10:15 the latest, as, it's not a slow dining place.
I figure we will cab it back to Manhattan after dinner and go try to hang around Times Square or that general area. It's probably going to be a disaster, but what the heck.

I figure we will cab it back to Manhattan after dinner and go try to hang around Times Square or that general area. It's probably going to be a disaster, but what the heck.
Hoo boy...I get the whole, "Hey, we're here in NYC on NYE, how can we not try and hang around Times Square?"feeling, but I strongly recommend you come up with another plan of actionNot only will you not be able to get anywhere near Times Square at that time, it will take you FOREVER to not get near thereNYC north of 32nd or so all the way up to Central Park essentially becomes a military zoneGiven the ages of the group involved I realize that you can;t just pop into a bar at 11 and stay for an hour, but just a heads upIf I think of a viable alternative I'll post it

Hoo boy...I get the whole, "Hey, we're here in NYC on NYE, how can we not try and hang around Times Square?"feeling, but I strongly recommend you come up with another plan of actionNot only will you not be able to get anywhere near Times Square at that time, it will take you FOREVER to not get near thereNYC north of 32nd or so all the way up to Central Park essentially becomes a military zoneGiven the ages of the group involved I realize that you can;t just pop into a bar at 11 and stay for an hour, but just a heads upIf I think of a viable alternative I'll post it
This is correct. if you want to get into times square you will want to get into that area early. If you truly want to visit times square, i would forego dinner and just get into times square area around 8. then hit a bar or restaurant in that vicinity. really, wherever you want to be for midnight, you are going to want to plan to get there a few hours before because it will likely get PACKED and you run a strong risk of not being able to get in.

Prospect Park Fireworks

Obviously weather permitting, but seeing as how you are going to be in Brooklyn anyway, it could be an option (sans a ball drop) *snicker*

Also, I forget where you are staying, but it might be worth asking the concierge upon arrival if they have any suggestions given the size and age makeup of your group

Last edited by a moderator:
This is correct. if you want to get into times square you will want to get into that area early. If you truly want to visit times square, i would forego dinner and just get into times square area around 8. then hit a bar or restaurant in that vicinity. really, wherever you want to be for midnight, you are going to want to plan to get there a few hours before because it will likely get PACKED and you run a strong risk of not being able to get in.
Times Square has to be like the most miserable NYE option available to mankind. I've never done it but have had a couple out-of-town friends who endured it. Yippy ####### skippy, one more off the bucket list, eh?Don't do it, kutta.ETA: No, seriously, don't.

Times Square has to be like the most miserable NYE option available to mankind. I've never done it but have had a couple out-of-town friends who endured it. Yippy ####### skippy, one more off the bucket list, eh?Don't do it, kutta.ETA: No, seriously, don't.
the only year i did it was a disaster and i hated it. i was in high school and someone puked in my coat so i had to go out to times square with no jacket and it was freezing. good times.

Kutta acknowledged they wouldn't be doing the whole "wait in a kennel" thing, but it sounds like the latest idea is to just to head up there after dinner and see what happens, just to be in the vicinity, etc

I even think that is a bad idea

A buddy of mine lived on 56th between 8th and 9th

Several NYEs ago we needed to get to the Empire STate Building area for a party...We decided to walk, then subway it...We left at about 9 PM and it was already miserable to go East at that point...IIRC it took up about 45 minutes to walk about 3 avenues East

The other NYE suggestion I would give is to finish dinner and then head back as close to your hotel as possible...It is INCREDIBLY difficult to find taxis for as many as three hours after midnight

Every bar and restaurant is filled with revelers who are all essentially looking for cabs within the same two hour window following midnight

I have spent many a cold hour looking for a cab at 1 and 2 AM on Jan 1st

'Tremendous Upside said:
The other NYE suggestion I would give is to finish dinner and then head back as close to your hotel as possible...It is INCREDIBLY difficult to find taxis for as many as three hours after midnightEvery bar and restaurant is filled with revelers who are all essentially looking for cabs within the same two hour window following midnightI have spent many a cold hour looking for a cab at 1 and 2 AM on Jan 1st
Subway, brah.

'Koya said:
'ScottNorwood said:
Gonna get some Ramen in a few. This place is the bomb diggity bombhttp://www.yelp.com/biz/terakawa-ramen-new-york
Have you been to Ippudo, down on 10th and 4th? Just hit it up again yesterday - best I've had by far.
:yes:Ippudo is great.Another good one in my neck of the woods:http://www.yelp.com/biz/totto-ramen-new-york#query:ramen

'Tremendous Upside said:
The other NYE suggestion I would give is to finish dinner and then head back as close to your hotel as possible...It is INCREDIBLY difficult to find taxis for as many as three hours after midnightEvery bar and restaurant is filled with revelers who are all essentially looking for cabs within the same two hour window following midnightI have spent many a cold hour looking for a cab at 1 and 2 AM on Jan 1st
Subway, brah.
Waiting for the subway at 2 AM can take forever, and then all trains go local in Queens at that hour, so you're looking at an hour plus train ride...Then it's either a 10 minute walk or a wait for a bus or a $7 cab ride to my apartmentOnce a cab is obtained in Manhattan it's only about 25 mins to my building's doorBut thanks for the advice on getting around the city I've lived in my whole life:thumbup:

'Koya said:
'ScottNorwood said:
Gonna get some Ramen in a few. This place is the bomb diggity bombhttp://www.yelp.com/biz/terakawa-ramen-new-york
Have you been to Ippudo, down on 10th and 4th? Just hit it up again yesterday - best I've had by far.
:yes:Ippudo is great.Another good one in my neck of the woods:http://www.yelp.com/biz/totto-ramen-new-york#query:ramen
There's an ippudo opening Midtown wst at some point in the near future....with slightly different recipes for your Ramen enjoyment.I prefer Ippudo' broth but Totto's ramen

'Tremendous Upside said:
Its been a couple of years since I've gone out nye, but the taxi issue was just as bad the two hours before midnight as I recall as everybod tries to hustle to their spots. Only cabs available would run their off-duty signs and try and price gouge. Getting back from brooklyn at any time afyer 10 will be a mess IMO. Best bets are reserving a car service now or taking the subway.

'Tremendous Upside said:
Subway, brah.
Waiting for the subway at 2 AM can take forever, and then all trains go local in Queens at that hour, so you're looking at an hour plus train ride...Then it's either a 10 minute walk or a wait for a bus or a $7 cab ride to my apartmentOnce a cab is obtained in Manhattan it's only about 25 mins to my building's doorBut thanks for the advice on getting around the city I've lived in my whole life:thumbup:
:lmao:I used to have similar issues getting from the LES to Boerum Hill every weekend. In theory Delancey to Bergen is 15-20 minutes, but late night & weekends, forget it. And the last place you want to be stumble down drunk is a train platform.

Its been a couple of years since I've gone out nye, but the taxi issue was just as bad the two hours before midnight as I recall as everybod tries to hustle to their spots. Only cabs available would run their off-duty signs and try and price gouge. Getting back from brooklyn at any time afyer 10 will be a mess IMO. Best bets are reserving a car service now or taking the subway.
So are you saying I might have trouble getting a cab from Peter Luger's back to Manhattan after dinner? That would suck...

So are you saying I might have trouble getting a cab from Peter Luger's back to Manhattan after dinner? That would suck...
What time? I don't think Brooklyn has as much competition for cabs, also not sure how many are cruising the streets of Brooklyn compared to Manhattan. Every time I have gone to Lugers I took the subway home (to nyc).

It's possible, although last NYE I had to work and had to get from the Upper West Side to my office downtown in SoHo at like 11:15. Took about 5 mins longer than it normally would to find a cab. That said, Brooklyn will be harder than Manhattan. It might be worth calling a car service and see how much it would be to preorder a car.

So if we take the SI Ferry, what kind of time are we talking here? And what should we do once we get to Staten Island?We would like to do the back and forth and hanging on SI in half a day or so. Is that reasonable?
Nothing against SI, but you know you dont have to hang out there, right?
Yeah, I got to know S.I. Very skippable, there is nothing but a seedy neighborhood and minor league ballpark near the ferry landing. It would [be a] major pain trying to use their public transit, which is mostly buses. The above grade subway cuts through the middle of the island and is not near anything I could recommend (gardens, Richmondtown historic village). South Beach is an OK day trip in the summer but it's a still a disaster area post-Sandy.Absolutely do not waste a half day there.
:kicksrock:Staten island has a TON of great restaurants but i agree, not much else besides the mall and Snug Harbor. Adobe blues is a great restaurant/bar in that area. 150 beer selection

Heading into the City to try and detail the Kutta tour. What's his schedule tonight?

Seriously, got a nice rate at the Essex House on Central Park South and celebrating my gal getting a raise (my retirement plan in action).

Was hoping for snow as rain just sucks but hopefully it will dry up before the evening.

Just checking in real quick. Having a great time - but it's a little cold (I'm good but my family are good wimps).

We had dinner at Il Cortile tonight. It was really good. Great suggestion!

We couldn't do some things because the lines are horrendous everywhere, and we got rained out of the 9-11 memorial today (fam didn't want to go), but we are schedule to go back on Monday.

Overall, wonderful time. Tomorrow is the Met and Empire State Building (line was too long last time we tried).

Just checking in real quick. Having a great time - but it's a little cold (I'm good but my family are good wimps).We had dinner at Il Cortile tonight. It was really good. Great suggestion!We couldn't do some things because the lines are horrendous everywhere, and we got rained out of the 9-11 memorial today (fam didn't want to go), but we are schedule to go back on Monday.Overall, wonderful time. Tomorrow is the Met and Empire State Building (line was too long last time we tried).
The wet weather has definitely forced numerous folks from out of town into more indoor activities. Seems like just snow now, which is a lot better than than the rain from before. The girls would love to see the windows at Bergdof Goodman department store, which I believe is close to some of your planned activities. Walked by them just now, pretty cool even for a jaded nyer.

Just checking in real quick. Having a great time - but it's a little cold (I'm good but my family are good wimps).We had dinner at Il Cortile tonight. It was really good. Great suggestion!We couldn't do some things because the lines are horrendous everywhere, and we got rained out of the 9-11 memorial today (fam didn't want to go), but we are schedule to go back on Monday.Overall, wonderful time. Tomorrow is the Met and Empire State Building (line was too long last time we tried).
The wet weather has definitely forced numerous folks from out of town into more indoor activities. Seems like just snow now, which is a lot better than than the rain from before. The girls would love to see the windows at Bergdof Goodman department store, which I believe is close to some of your planned activities. Walked by them just now, pretty cool even for a jaded nyer.
Cool. Thanks. We'll try to check that out. We were right there the other day (Central Park and FAO Schwartz, but we missed that). We may be heading back that way though.

So if we take the SI Ferry, what kind of time are we talking here? And what should we do once we get to Staten Island?We would like to do the back and forth and hanging on SI in half a day or so. Is that reasonable?
Yeah, I got to know S.I. Very skippable, there is nothing but a seedy neighborhood and minor league ballpark near the ferry landing. It would [be a] major pain trying to use their public transit, which is mostly buses. The above grade subway cuts through the middle of the island and is not near anything I could recommend (gardens, Richmondtown historic village). South Beach is an OK day trip in the summer but it's a still a disaster area post-Sandy.Absolutely do not waste a half day there.
:kicksrock:Staten island has a TON of great restaurants but i agree, not much else besides the mall and Snug Harbor. Adobe blues is a great restaurant/bar in that area. 150 beer selection
S.I. restaurants are underrated; lots of great Italian places. My favorite is Carol's Cafe.

Just checking in real quick. Having a great time - but it's a little cold (I'm good but my family are good wimps).We had dinner at Il Cortile tonight. It was really good. Great suggestion!
Glad you guys are enjoying yourself and glad you enjoyed Il Cortile...I have to get back there...I used to work down near there and would go more often

'BobbyLayne said:
S.I. restaurants are underrated; lots of great Italian places. My favorite is Carol's Cafe.
:lmao: at the thought of someone recommending a tourist to visit SI. Unless you're a Wu-Tang affiliate or helping with Sandy clean-up, invest your time in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Enjoy!

'BobbyLayne said:
:lmao: at the thought of someone recommending a tourist to visit SI. Unless you're a Wu-Tang affiliate or helping with Sandy clean-up, invest your time in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Enjoy!
:goodposting:

'BobbyLayne said:
:goodposting:
:confused: Nobody recommended a visit to SI. In fact, just the opposite.

Just got back from watching a pretty sweet jazz show at Birdland (44th n 8th), with their house Big Band. Pleasantly surprised. Food and all wasn't even that expensive, and some great and varied jazz..l much funkier than I expected.

If a girl likes jazz would make a kick ### date place fwiw. :bowtie:

Damn- totally forgot to throw out my recommended Met itinerary. That place is huge and can suck up a lot of energy and time and still hold out on some of it's better, or at least IMO for first time visitors- more accessible- galleries. I hope you guys had and are having fun.But yeah- it's been cold.

Just got back from watching a pretty sweet jazz show at Birdland (44th n 8th), with their house Big Band. Pleasantly surprised. Food and all wasn't even that expensive, and some great and varied jazz..l much funkier than I expected. If a girl likes jazz would make a kick ### date place fwiw. :bowtie:
dates. :kicksrock:I remember those.Oh yeah! I've got a lunch date for new years eve day today... and it's even with my wife. we went with Del Posto, but am looking forward to Cookshop for another time in the next couple of... years. :kicksrock: still.. thanks for the recommendation nick and tu.Hope everybody has a safe, happy and healthy new year.

Wow.. Gonna apologize for lack of details but, after a late night (for me) at Phish MSG - My buddy says your coming with me and "drags" me to some underground Strip Club not far from the Garden. I was as apprehensive as one could be. Really?, a strip club..soo tired.

It changes location, you need a Password - I was like WTF, I wanna go home.

Turned out to be THE Greatest Strip Club I've ever seen in all my years from Vegas to Canada... All Hot and right to the chase.

I hung with 1 girl for the whole time and just left after like 7 songs.. Not sure how much more or what else was going on.. Wonder if there was a back room to the back room but, i could barely get home. $20 / song - No cover with a ticket stub - SHEESH!

.. again, sorry I'll work on getting more details or maybe someone else has heard of such a thing???

Do know that my mission will be to some day return to this place ASAP.

Wow.. Gonna apologize for lack of details but, after a late night (for me) at Phish MSG - My buddy says your coming with me and "drags" me to some underground Strip Club not far from the Garden. I was as apprehensive as one could be. Really?, a strip club..soo tired.It changes location, you need a Password - I was like WTF, I wanna go home.Turned out to be THE Greatest Strip Club I've ever seen in all my years from Vegas to Canada... All Hot and right to the chase.I hung with 1 girl for the whole time and just left after like 7 songs.. Not sure how much more or what else was going on.. Wonder if there was a back room to the back room but, i could barely get home. $20 / song - No cover with a ticket stub - SHEESH!.. again, sorry I'll work on getting more details or maybe someone else has heard of such a thing???Do know that my mission will be to some day return to this place ASAP.
This description reminds me of George and the meatpacking district club. "It was right here! There was a bar and beautiful models..."

Just got back from watching a pretty sweet jazz show at Birdland (44th n 8th), with their house Big Band. Pleasantly surprised. Food and all wasn't even that expensive, and some great and varied jazz..l much funkier than I expected. If a girl likes jazz would make a kick ### date place fwiw. :bowtie:
Birdland is OK. It's nearby so it's a bit of a routine for us, about the same as Blue Note, Iridium or Vanguard. All good classic venues to either have a good time at or catch a big name act. Personal favorite jazz bars I like better:55 BarBar Next DoorFat CatJazz StandardSmallsZinc Bar

Wow.. Gonna apologize for lack of details but, after a late night (for me) at Phish MSG - My buddy says your coming with me and "drags" me to some underground Strip Club not far from the Garden. I was as apprehensive as one could be. Really?, a strip club..soo tired.It changes location, you need a Password - I was like WTF, I wanna go home.Turned out to be THE Greatest Strip Club I've ever seen in all my years from Vegas to Canada... All Hot and right to the chase.I hung with 1 girl for the whole time and just left after like 7 songs.. Not sure how much more or what else was going on.. Wonder if there was a back room to the back room but, i could barely get home. $20 / song - No cover with a ticket stub - SHEESH!.. again, sorry I'll work on getting more details or maybe someone else has heard of such a thing???Do know that my mission will be to some day return to this place ASAP.
This description reminds me of George and the meatpacking district club. "It was right here! There was a bar and beautiful models..."
LOL... IT WAS!!!!!And the funny part was, while offered, I didn't even take the Blue Pill.Otherwise I'd question my own memory.

Birdland is OK. It's nearby so it's a bit of a routine for us, about the same as Blue Note, Iridium or Vanguard. All good classic venues to either have a good time at or catch a big name act. Personal favorite jazz bars I like better:55 BarBar Next DoorFat CatJazz StandardSmallsZinc Bar
Standard type spot it was, but I had a better time than expected. Haven't been to smalls but hear its great.

:lmao: kind of intrigued by the :pop-up: strip club though...interesting concept being that the strip clubs in NYC are very disappointing.

Wow.. Gonna apologize for lack of details but, after a late night (for me) at Phish MSG - My buddy says your coming with me and "drags" me to some underground Strip Club not far from the Garden. I was as apprehensive as one could be. Really?, a strip club..soo tired.

Turned out to be THE Greatest Strip Club I've ever seen in all my years from Vegas to Canada... All Hot and right to the chase.

I hung with 1 girl for the whole time and just left after like 7 songs.. Not sure how much more or what else was going on.. Wonder if there was a back room to the back room but, i could barely get home. $20 / song - No cover with a ticket stub - SHEESH!

.. again, sorry I'll work on getting more details or maybe someone else has heard of such a thing???

:lmao: kind of intrigued by the :pop-up: strip club though...interesting concept being that the strip clubs in NYC are very disappointing.
Unrelated, but you ever been to any of the private bars inside MSG? Crazy labyrinth getting to them, I could never remember all the different stairs/elevators. Tried explaining it to a buddy and he's like "Sure, dude - you were in a secret room with Icahn and Trump. How drunk were you?"

Unrelated, but you ever been to any of the private bars inside MSG? Crazy labyrinth getting to them, I could never remember all the different stairs/elevators. Tried explaining it to a buddy and he's like "Sure, dude - you were in a secret room with Icahn and Trump. How drunk were you?"
haha...all I remember is take the escalator in the front and from there it's def a clusterf.....Hope all you lads have a great New Year. Major may be moving back to NYC full-time next year :banned:

Happy New Years to the New Yorkers and our esteemed visitors!

Will be happily ensconced away with friends at an all night house party miles north of the City after a great 30 hour trip in Saturday through last night.

dates. :kicksrock:I remember those.Oh yeah! I've got a lunch date for new years eve day today... and it's even with my wife. we went with Del Posto, but am looking forward to Cookshop for another time in the next couple of... years. :kicksrock: still.. thanks for the recommendation nick and tu.Hope everybody has a safe, happy and healthy new year.
well that was pretty ####### good. Much more of an upscale, upper-east kind of thing.ashamed to say its taken me this long, but finally checked out the high-line too.

I only went into the office for half day, but Mrs BL got caught up in some research.

"Are they closing subway stations already?"

What do guys think? Long walk for her?

8th avenue line, usually gets off @ Port Authority (42nd)

I only went into the office for half day, but Mrs BL got caught up in some research."Are they closing subway stations already?"What do guys think? Long walk for her?8th avenue line, usually gets off @ Port Authority (42nd)
IIRC the subways run pretty frequently early evening on NYE. Taking the subway later this evening can be kind of fun if you're with a group, don't mind waiting and want some good people watching - drunks, tuxes, horny wimmenz, bums, hipsters, etc. Pretty much par for the course in NYC.

Mrs BL got home in normal time without incident. Took the kids to a nice family dinner. Forgot how many come out for amateur hour - even this early. Headed over to a families NYE party @ Silver Towers. Nice to have an evening that is 100% walkable (not venturing more than one ave in any direction).

Happy New Year FFA!

Users who are viewing this thread