What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (4 Viewers)

First of all, thank you very much for all your help - Floppo, Koya, Bobby, Tremendous Upside, and the rest who helped me out. I really appreciate the advice, and you guys really did help make this trip a wonderful experience for my whole family.

First, a couple comments for those thinking of taking the family. Having five people really sucks in NY. Cabs are only legally allowed to carry four people, so for the most part, we had to take two cabs everywhere. We sometimes were able to squeeze everyone into one cab, but then we got charged more as the guy kept the meter off. We brought $1,000 cash and ended up with $45 left. We probably spent about $1500 on our credit card too, so it's not cheap. But we did eat at some really nice places and didn't mind spending the money, this is just more of a warning to others.

Thursday

Arrive at Newark at about 4:30 PM.

I used the car service recommended earlier (Carmel) - it was actually a disaster, but we got the only bad thing out of the way early. I paid extra to have the guy come inside because I thought the kids would think it was totally cool to have a guy with a sign with our name on it waiting for us. Well, the guy wasn't there. We got our bags, looked around for about 5 minutes, and I called the place. I was on hold for awhile, and they finally came back and said he'd be there in a couple minutes. He finally showed up. Nice guy, but clueless. We pile into the SUV and away we go. Long story short, he doesn't know how to get back to NY. He makes a wrong turn and we end up in a pretty sketchy area on back roads. We end up getting to our hotel at 7:30. The guy told me it was his third day on the job. Oh well, no biggee.

We stayed at The Roger at 31st and Madison.

We head down to Times Square to check it out - we stop at Empire Pizza on our way because we were really hungry. Pretty decent pizza (at least to us). Times square was awesome, but we were pretty cold. We catch a cab back to the hotel and call it a night.

Friday:

Breakfast at Hotel

Line too long at Empire State Building so we head up towards Central Park

Tried Carnegie and Katz’s, but the lines at both were too long, so we ate at Ray’s Pizza.

Tried Tenement Museum but didn't have advance tickets and they were sold out.

Girls shopped at Victoria Secret

We visit the Time Warner Building - This is one of the buildings my company has been in quite a bit doing our radio testing, so I wanted to show it to the fam. It's an awesome building.

Central Park – Carriage Ride. The Carriage ride was fun, but pretty short and cost $50. The wife really dug it though.

FAO Schwartz - There was a line to get in here but it moved quickly. We basically walked in and bought some candy and bailed.

Dinner at Crooked Knife - This was a restaurant around the corner from the hotel. We were in a hurry and tried it out. Very average.

Wicked - Wow! What an amazing show. I really enjoyed it, more than I expected. The entire family loved it - even my 18 year old son thought it was cool. Definitely one of the highlights.

Saturday:

Girls shop near Soho.

Girls have breakfast at the Malt House which they loved, and they shopped at the various stores in that area.

I hang with the fire department for a few hours checking out the Kutta radios.

It's snowing and raining, and we have tickets to the 9-11 memorial, but everyone decides to do it another day because of the snow.

Dinner at Il Corte – Very cool place. My son and I both had the Lobster Ravioli, and we both loved it.

Sunday - We started to kick it into high gear today:

Carnegie Deli - We slept in and didn't eat breakfast so we tried Carnegie again and got in this time. Very similar to the one at the Mirage in Vegas, but it was great to eat at the real deal.

The Met - Another highlight. Amazing experience. It was so cool to see all my kids with their cameras out taking pictures of things that interested them. We didn't have time to see as much as we wanted, but what we saw really blew us away. Great recommendation.

Two Little Red Hens - Cute little bakery where we got some cupcakes. Good stuff.

Macy’s - We hit up Macy's, for the girls of course. My son was getting antsy, so we decided to bail out and head back to the hotel.

Sushi for Gari - My son and I are huge sushi fans, and we wanted a good sushi dinner. We called a few of the top rated places and they were closed for the holidays. We finally called Gari and they were open. We decided to do the Omakase, where the chef just makes you whatever he feels like making (my son called it the Pandora of sushi). This very well could have been the best meal of my life. Wow. We were blown away with how good this stuff was. I can't recommend it enough.

Candle Café – My daughter wanted to try a vegan restaurant, so the wife and girls went here. It's safe to say that my son and I enjoyed our dinner much more.

Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center at 10 PM - This was really cool.

Monday

Subway to SI Ferry - Our first subway ride and we had a wonderful young African American fellow rapping and doing poetry, and my daughter would clap after each one. No one else was even giving this guy a glance, but she thought it was the coolest thing she'd ever seen. She gave him five bucks.

SI Ferry for Statue of Liberty - awesome way to see it. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

9-11 Memorial - Amazing memorial.

Hotdogs - We ate at several different hot dog stands throughout the trip. We all really dug them.

Grand Central Station - We just popped in and checked it out.

Times Square – We hiked over to Times Square at about 6 PM on NYE. Wow. You guys weren't kidding. The streets were already closed and it was absolutely insane. We decided then and there that we would be nowhere near that place at midnight.

Bike Ride to Empire State Building - This was a blast. We had one of those bike taxis take us (my wife, one daughter, and me) from Times Sqaure to the Empire State Building. This guy was insane, but awesome. Lots of fun.

Empire State Building - We had about an hour wait, but we got up in the Empire State Building and the coolest thing was we could see the NYE ball from up there. My wife was really happy because she really wanted to see the ball. It was freaking freezing up there so we didn't stay long.

Dinner at Peter Luger - Awesome dinner. But I have to be honest and say that I liked the dinner at Sushi of Gari better.

New Year’s Eve in Hotel Room - Yes, this is where we ended up. We were all exhausted and it was cold outside. We all decided that we would rather just hang in the room and watch it all on TV. Kind of funny actually.

Tuesday.

Head on home.

As I said earlier, this was an amazing trip and a great way for my wife and I to spend our 20th anniversary. The kids got to see and do a ton of things, and we are very happy with how everything turned out. You guys are the best. Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kutta,

That sounds like a great all around NYC experience. Some planned, plenty on the fly and mostly sounded like a lot of fun. What time were you in line at Carnegie Sunday morning? I may have passed you as I went to watch football about a block away. Happened to get a late night sammich around 3:30 their the night before and was commenting on the line to my wife the next AM, which was Sunday!

Kutta,That sounds like a great all around NYC experience. Some planned, plenty on the fly and mostly sounded like a lot of fun. What time were you in line at Carnegie Sunday morning? I may have passed you as I went to watch football about a block away. Happened to get a late night sammich around 3:30 their the night before and was commenting on the line to my wife the next AM, which was Sunday!
We got in line at about 11:30 or so and got into the deli at about 11:45.What a great sandwich.

Glad you had a great time kutta

The Time Warner Center is a pretty cool building. Jazz @ Lincoln Center has a nightclub there called Dizzy's that is curated by Wynton Marsalis. One of the best views in the city and awesome jazz. Food is good also. Worth a visit next time you are in town.

Wait... dammit.... I didnt tell kutta the sidewalk rules. No wonder things were such a mess around here.
Well tell me now. I plan to go back soon.
I'll leave it to the City folk to dialogue you on proper walking etiquette, but definitely chime in before your next visit and maybe a couple of us can cornhole up for a drink or two.You looking to go with the Mrs. or the whole fam, and which of the items that you couldn't get to will be high on your list to get to next time around?

Wait... dammit.... I didnt tell kutta the sidewalk rules. No wonder things were such a mess around here.
Stopping four abreast to look at the map - not good.Flop probably will expand on this later, but that's the gist of it.
don't look up, stay to the right, don't abruptly stop, don't stand in the middle of the sidewalk, don't walk more than 2 or 3 abreast.I'm sure Floppo has more

Stopping four abreast to look at the map - not good.Flop probably will expand on this later, but that's the gist of it.
don't look up, stay to the right, don't abruptly stop, don't stand in the middle of the sidewalk, don't walk more than 2 or 3 abreast.I'm sure Floppo has more
Also, don't look anyone in the eye or you'll get punished no longer applies. That was the now defunct street rules of 1988.

When walking and eating your pizza, you fold it in half** "In Half" is a colloquialism that means something between a fold and a roll, up the center line of the pizza, the long way. Only a fool who has no knowledge of good pizza would think this would be like folding it sammich style as in a panini.

Sounds like a great trip kutta. :thumbup:
cosign with jamny. You did a lot for what time you had. I'd recommend coming next time when NYC isn't as touristy. Late Spring is ideal or early Fall....and sorry no one warned you about traveling in packs of 5...absolute worst number for NYC. Tougher to get cabs (attempt to grease them with an extra $5-10 tip) or a decent table at top restaurants.

When walking and eating your pizza, you fold it in half** "In Half" is a colloquialism that means something between a fold and a roll, up the center line of the pizza, the long way. Only a fool who has no knowledge of good pizza would think this would be like folding it sammich style as in a panini.
My daughter mastered the NY pizza fold last month. She's 4 BTW.

need a quick date suggestion: The girl I am dating works in SoHo and unfortunately she has to work on Saturday. There's an Italian sandwich shop called Alidoro near her office that we would both like to try, and so I'm taking her there after work ... the only issue is that there's no seating at the place. If it were spring / summer I would just suggest going to the park to eat, but I obviously don't want to do that in 30 degree weather. Any suggestion on an indoor place where we could duck in to eat? I plan on taking her to City Bakery near Union Square after the meal for hot chocolate (apparently the best in nyc?), so I wouldn't mind eating indoors somewhere near that area as well...the only place I could think of is Eataly, but haven't actually been there - do they have random tables where we could just sit?

need a quick date suggestion: The girl I am dating works in SoHo and unfortunately she has to work on Saturday. There's an Italian sandwich shop called Alidoro near her office that we would both like to try, and so I'm taking her there after work ... the only issue is that there's no seating at the place. If it were spring / summer I would just suggest going to the park to eat, but I obviously don't want to do that in 30 degree weather. Any suggestion on an indoor place where we could duck in to eat? I plan on taking her to City Bakery near Union Square after the meal for hot chocolate (apparently the best in nyc?), so I wouldn't mind eating indoors somewhere near that area as well...the only place I could think of is Eataly, but I'm not sure if they have random tables where we could just sit.
Barnes and noble on union sq? IIRC, the soho bloomies has a cafe.

need a quick date suggestion: The girl I am dating works in SoHo and unfortunately she has to work on Saturday. There's an Italian sandwich shop called Alidoro near her office that we would both like to try, and so I'm taking her there after work ... the only issue is that there's no seating at the place. If it were spring / summer I would just suggest going to the park to eat, but I obviously don't want to do that in 30 degree weather. Any suggestion on an indoor place where we could duck in to eat? I plan on taking her to City Bakery near Union Square after the meal for hot chocolate (apparently the best in nyc?), so I wouldn't mind eating indoors somewhere near that area as well...the only place I could think of is Eataly, but haven't actually been there - do they have random tables where we could just sit?
I think your best bet is to duck into a local bar or coffee shop (call ahead). I'm sure most places wouldn't mind you bringing your sammich there if you're getting coffee or some drink. As for the hot chocolate, I'd just stay in the area. MarieBelle is a great place and I prefer it to City Bakery. Much more intimate.

Alidoro is awesome...Used to work two blocks from there...

Your best bet IMO is a bar that doesn't serve food and allows outside food to be brought in

What time on Sat are we talking?

Emerald Pub is only a couple of blocks west of there, and they let outside food in

Also a pretty solid Irish Pub with a fireplace, etc

Floppo: completely blanked on the B&N in Union Square, thanks!

Major: Never heard of MarieBelle but just checked the website - looks great! Definitely taking her there instead of City Bakery.

TU - She's supposed to get out of working between 4-5pm. I'll check out the Emerald Pub later, thanks.

For those looking for date suggestions:

1) Went to John's of 12th St. a few weeks ago (12th st b/t 1st and 2nd ave). Very old world Italian and great food. I come from a big Italian family and felt like I was at a family party - the tables were all relatively close together and it was a loud atmosphere (Friday night). Entrees were all reasonably priced as well (~$20).

2) Lantern's Keep in the back of the Iroquois hotel (44th b/t 5th and 6th I think)....very tiny salon, I wouldn't even call it a bar. It's very intimate as well. $15 cocktails, but it's a mixology place so they're all rather exotic and strong.

3) City Winery (Varick and Spring St) - There are 2 spots co-located, one is a music venue and one is just a dining spot. Get a couple of appetizers and some wine. Small place, but great for a date.

ashamed to say its taken me this long, but finally checked out the high-line too.
Checked out high-line a couple of months ago. Have to say I was a little underwhelmed by it. Not sure what I expected. I'd imagine it's a lot better in warmer weather.

I started traveling to the city a few months ago on a regular basis, my company has an office at 1 Penn Plaza. The folks that work for me in that office are new to New York so they don't know any places around for us to hit for happy hour. Any thoughts on cool places not far from there?

ashamed to say its taken me this long, but finally checked out the high-line too.
Checked out high-line a couple of months ago. Have to say I was a little underwhelmed by it. Not sure what I expected. I'd imagine it's a lot better in warmer weather.
I loved it. But yeah- there's not a lot there other than: some fantastic detailing (which makes it amazing to me), simple plays on tracks, paving, benches and planting, occasional moments of genius framing the city (that theater-ish spot when you cross 10th Ave is the obvious highlight), and overall getting to circulate and get views above the typical streetscape. I was really hoping to see more interaction with the buildings along the highline- it would be great to have some restaurants, shopping and more open public spaces immediately accessible from track level.I've been jonesing to go up there since college (80s) but was never going to risk the homeless crack-fiends who I assumed lived up there. It was always a go-to thesis project for architecture students in NYC so ideas were always bubbling about it. That said- Diller Scofidio are freaking brilliant, IMO, and far outdid any of the dopey ideas I saw thrown out there by students (a par-course, a roller-coaster, etc); they absolutely nailed this.

I started traveling to the city a few months ago on a regular basis, my company has an office at 1 Penn Plaza. The folks that work for me in that office are new to New York so they don't know any places around for us to hit for happy hour. Any thoughts on cool places not far from there?
It's changed a bit, but when I used to work near there (10th and 36th) my co-workers and I called that neighborhood the boil on the ### of NYC.I don't know from happy-hour, but if you head up 9th Ave you'll hit a bunch of decent theater district spots (BL will be able to tell you where). Or head down towards Chelsea where Major can hit you up on you. FWIW- my good friends have a place called Perdition on 10th and 48th. I'll let the more drinking/going-out/no-kids savvy crowd fill in the specifics.

I work a few blocks north of there but I'm not a big fan of bars in the area. I like New York Beer Company (44th b/t 8th and 9th) and there's a similar place called Beer Authority (40th and 8th).

It's changed a bit, but when I used to work near there (10th and 36th) my co-workers and I called that neighborhood the boil on the ### of NYC.I don't know from happy-hour, but if you head up 9th Ave you'll hit a bunch of decent theater district spots (BL will be able to tell you where). Or head down towards Chelsea where Major can hit you up on you. FWIW- my good friends have a place called Perdition on 10th and 48th. I'll let the more drinking/going-out/no-kids savvy crowd fill in the specifics.
:lmao: at the Chelsea comment. Be very afraid unless you want to catch teh gay. As for you 1 Penn hood, not much in that area although I'm sure there are some hidden bars that cater to that after work fashion crowd (at there used to be). I'd probably play it safe and walk up to Hells Kitchen. Lots of bars along 9th avenue that cater to the after work crowd. Stay away from Times Square.

There's a place called Beer Town on 34th between 7th and 8th that's above Roastown Coffee. Because it's on the 2nd floor, it doesn't get too much traffic but if there's a bunch of you going, it could be a good time.

Like others have said, that's a tough spot for happy hour. Check out Stout on 33rd...it gets very crowded with pre-MSG crowds. If you're willing to go east a bit, Galway Pub (formerly Galway Hooker) on 36th between 5th and Madison has a solid HH with all drafts $4 (and it's a strong selection). Right nearby is the Ginger Man which has a ridiculous beer selection, but they don't do specials. Rattle n Hum on 32nd is a similar place that's cheaper.

I think your best bet is to duck into a local bar or coffee shop (call ahead). I'm sure most places wouldn't mind you bringing your sammich there if you're getting coffee or some drink. As for the hot chocolate, I'd just stay in the area. MarieBelle is a great place and I prefer it to City Bakery. Much more intimate.
MarieBelle was a home run ... "Where do you get all these great date ideas from?" ... nice little cafe in the back of a chocolate shop, great suggestion.As it turns out, Alidoro closes at like 4:30-5:00, so we ended up going to Meatball Shop, which is obviously delicious. Thinking about doing a breakfast date sometime this week but she typically gets to the office at 8:30, so I'd have to find a place that opens super early.

MarieBelle was a home run ... "Where do you get all these great date ideas from?" ... nice little cafe in the back of a chocolate shop, great suggestion.As it turns out, Alidoro closes at like 4:30-5:00, so we ended up going to Meatball Shop, which is obviously delicious.

Thinking about doing a breakfast date sometime this week but she typically gets to the office at 8:30, so I'd have to find a place that opens super early.
:lmao: you should've told her some guy on a fantasy football message board. Honesty is the best policy.

Thinking about doing a breakfast date sometime this week but she typically gets to the office at 8:30, so I'd have to find a place that opens super early.
Balthazar opens @ 7:30 AM for breakfast and is excellentThe brioche french toast with applewood smoked bacon is a particular favorite
#### Balthazar.And by that I mean, I would totally have sex with Balthazar (if there weren't so many tourists standing around ordering water).

Balthazar opens @ 7:30 AM for breakfast and is excellentThe brioche french toast with applewood smoked bacon is a particular favorite
#### Balthazar.And by that I mean, I would totally have sex with Balthazar (if there weren't so many tourists standing around ordering water).
That's why breakfast is perfect!I used to try and make it there for breakfast about once a month when I worked down there

New York Times, cup of coffee, breakfast

It was awesome

That's why breakfast is perfect!I used to try and make it there for breakfast about once a month when I worked down there

New York Times, cup of coffee, breakfast

It was awesome
I was trying to agree with you, but I'm stupid.oh- I think it opens at 8... but Peels has a good breakfast too.

x2 for this rec. I lived walking distance from there and would often bring quality wimmenz there in the morning. Good coffee/bakery next next door as well if you're in a hurry.

'Major said:
'Tremendous Upside said:
x2 for this rec. I lived walking distance from there and would often bring quality wimmenz there in the morning. Good coffee/bakery next next door as well if you're in a hurry.
This place looks good but I'm gonna save it for a weekend and go to Petite Albeille tomorrow...I'm craving some waffles after seeing the pics, it's cheaper, and it gives me an excuse to bring up whipped cream during conversation.

'Major said:
'Tremendous Upside said:
This place looks good but I'm gonna save it for a weekend and go to Petite Albeille tomorrow...I'm craving some waffles after seeing the pics, it's cheaper, and it gives me an excuse to bring up whipped cream during conversation.
It's like the Belgian TGIF.(eta: and for the sake of all the Olive Garden anti-snob snobs... this isn't a great thing)

eta2: how about IHOP?

'Major said:
'Tremendous Upside said:
It's like the Belgian TGIF.(eta: and for the sake of all the Olive Garden anti-snob snobs... this isn't a great thing)

In what way are they similar? This location is only 5-8 tables and it's for breakfast. Will report back, but I think it'll be fine

'Major said:
'Tremendous Upside said:

In what way are they similar? This location is only 5-8 tables and it's for breakfast. Will report back, but I think it'll be fine
It's a chain. The food isn't all that. But you're right- it's no IHOP or TGIFs (although I've been jonesing to hit that IHOP on 14th). That said- considering all the places at your disposal...

'Major said:
'Tremendous Upside said:
It's like the Belgian TGIF.(eta: and for the sake of all the Olive Garden anti-snob snobs... this isn't a great thing)eta2: how about IHOP?
It's a chain. The food isn't all that. But you're right- it's no IHOP or TGIFs (although I've been jonesing to hit that IHOP on 14th). That said- considering all the places at your disposal...
Ah, I hear ya ... I would not have gone to the bigger locations (IIRC the one near Stuy Town is large) but this was a tiny spot so it didn't feel / look like a chain at all. $13 for a pretty standard omelette was ridiculous, but their waffles were good and portions were big...wasn't blown away by the food, but her and I aren't big breakfast eaters so it was something different.Next up is Tenjune on Saturday for her company's anniversary party. I'm not a meatpacking guy at all so I'm a bit worried about this...

'Major said:
'Tremendous Upside said:
It's like the Belgian TGIF.(eta: and for the sake of all the Olive Garden anti-snob snobs... this isn't a great thing)eta2: how about IHOP?
Ah, I hear ya ... I would not have gone to the bigger locations (IIRC the one near Stuy Town is large) but this was a tiny spot so it didn't feel / look like a chain at all. $13 for a pretty standard omelette was ridiculous, but their waffles were good and portions were big...wasn't blown away by the food, but her and I aren't big breakfast eaters so it was something different.Next up is Tenjune on Saturday for her company's anniversary party. I'm not a meatpacking guy at all so I'm a bit worried about this...
Ah, good ol' Tenjune. Definitely a bridge and tunnel type place. Fairly typical meatpacking dance club. I presume they will have tables etc? Or did they rent the whole place out (not sure how large a company we are talking here). Say hello to the leaching promoters for me.

Tenjune? yikes.....if you want another Major pantydropper take her to Aria Wine Bar before (on Perry walking distance from MPD). Great place for a casual bite and won't break the bank. Nice atmosphere as well. After Tenjune, I'd either hit up Soho House (if you or a friend has a membership) or better yet abort the Meatpacking thing and head somewhere more intimate for a proper cocktail like Little Branch or Raines Law Room.

Heading up to New York tomorrow for work and the family is going to be joining me on Thursday. I have to work during the day through Sunday but want to have a list of things for my wife and 8-year old son to do while I am busy. My sister, who lives in the city will be there as a pseudo-tour guide but I at least want to get some ideas of things that they would enjoy. Due to a school project on ancestry, my son was really looking forward to going to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty until I read that it's closed for further notice as a result of damage from Sandy. With New York being such a pivotal place for immigration in the past, are there any other, lesser known museums that are in a similar vein to Ellis Island that they could visit? <EDIT> - Just saw Lower East Side Tenement Museum mentioned in a previous post so this may do the trick to fill this gap... </EDIT>

Here are some of the places that I put together by doing some simple web surfing. Any feedback on the places I mention below or anything additional that I left out would be appreciated.

1. Intrepid Museum (just read that the Space Shuttle exhibit opens on Jan. 17 but not the ACTUAL Space Shuttle. That's not opening until later in the spring.)

2. Children's Museum of the Arts

3. Top of the Rock/Rockefeller Center

4. FAO Schwarz/Lego Store/Build-A-Bear

5. Circle Line Sightseeing Cruise

6. Grey Line or similar Bus Tour (we tend to do these in any/every city we go to on the first day to get the lay of the land. Any suggestions on the "best" one? With an 8-year old, this is a better option than a walking tour)

We are going to see Mary Poppins on Saturday night as my sister and I went to school with someone that's in the show. Hoping to be able to go backstage afterwards also, so that's cool. For good or for bad, we're staying at the Marriott Marquis so we'll be smack dab in the middle of Tourist Central. Also looking to get some good thin-crust pizza. We usually go to John's on Bleecker. It's more of a tradition as it's out of the way from where we are staying but we like the pizza and it's miles better than anything we can get in Miami. I'll have to sift through this thread again to pick out some other restaurant ideas.

Sr Schmutz.

Definitely do the LES Tenement Museum- IIRC, you should make advance reservations. And wave hi when you go to Katz's or the Laboritorio di Gelato.

I think you can pre-book tickets for the Top of the Rock as well. And you can combine that with your #3. Lego store is across the skating rink from TotR (and is surprisingly small)

CMA (Children's Museum of the Arts) is pretty cool- my 5yo takes weekly classes there and they have some cool drop in things for kids to do. That said... there isn't that much there and I wonder if an 8yo might get a little bored? If he's really into art, I guess it might be worth the trip over to far West SoHo. FWIW, the NYFD museum is really close- small and more for kids, but worth a visit if you're already over there. Sounds like he's been to NYC and seen all the museums already? If he hasn't seen Nat History or the Met, you guys should do that.

There's something at the Sony Plaza Atrium (56th and Madison and also free) on Saturday that looks pretty cool for kids:

SONY PLAZA ATRIUM: FUTURE CITY COMPETITION

Saturday, January 19

8 a.m.-4 p.m.

Calling all builders and engineers! Come to the Sony Plaza Public Atrium to meet local seventh and eighth grade students participating in the 2013 National Engineers Week Future City Competition. Explore students’ one of a kind three dimensional models of their future city and learn about how they used the “Sim City” video game to help them develop their unique urban landscapes. Projects will be judged and awards will be presented to winners for excellence in a variety of categories No reservation required.
I think there are two bus outfits that do the tours through the city. Couldn't tell you a thing about them, except to make sure you look out for flying eggs if you go through my LES/EVil.I took the Circle Line once for Freshman orientation in college. It was like a prison cruise to an 18yo. At least with the bus I'm pretty sure you can hop off whenever. I guess you could do that with the circle line too.

re: Pizza, if you go to the Tenement Museum, nearby Lil' Frankie's has pretty decent thin crust pizza. Or Pulino's. But Johns is good, and if it's a tradition for you guys why spoil a good thing.

Sr Schmutz.

Definitely do the LES Tenement Museum- IIRC, you should make advance reservations. And wave hi when you go to Katz's or the Laboritorio di Gelato.

I think you can pre-book tickets for the Top of the Rock as well. And you can combine that with your #3. Lego store is across the skating rink from TotR (and is surprisingly small)

CMA (Children's Museum of the Arts) is pretty cool- my 5yo takes weekly classes there and they have some cool drop in things for kids to do. That said... there isn't that much there and I wonder if an 8yo might get a little bored? If he's really into art, I guess it might be worth the trip over to far West SoHo. FWIW, the NYFD museum is really close- small and more for kids, but worth a visit if you're already over there. Sounds like he's been to NYC and seen all the museums already? If he hasn't seen Nat History or the Met, you guys should do that.

There's something at the Sony Plaza Atrium (56th and Madison and also free) on Saturday that looks pretty cool for kids:

Saturday, January 19

8 a.m.-4 p.m.

Calling all builders and engineers! Come to the Sony Plaza Public Atrium to meet local seventh and eighth grade students participating in the 2013 National Engineers Week Future City Competition. Explore students' one of a kind three dimensional models of their future city and learn about how they used the "Sim City" video game to help them develop their unique urban landscapes. Projects will be judged and awards will be presented to winners for excellence in a variety of categories No reservation required.
I think there are two bus outfits that do the tours through the city. Couldn't tell you a thing about them, except to make sure you look out for flying eggs if you go through my LES/EVil.I took the Circle Line once for Freshman orientation in college. It was like a prison cruise to an 18yo. At least with the bus I'm pretty sure you can hop off whenever. I guess you could do that with the circle line too.

re: Pizza, if you go to the Tenement Museum, nearby Lil' Frankie's has pretty decent thin crust pizza. Or Pulino's. But Johns is good, and if it's a tradition for you guys why spoil a good thing.
Thanks for the info Floppo. Did a quick Google search on John's of Bleecker and came up with this. May look at other options....lol Have you ever been to the Transport Museum? That's another one that I know my son would enjoy.

'Senor Schmutzig said:
Sr Schmutz.

Saturday, January 19

8 a.m.-4 p.m.

Calling all builders and engineers! Come to the Sony Plaza Public Atrium to meet local seventh and eighth grade students participating in the 2013 National Engineers Week Future City Competition. Explore students' one of a kind three dimensional models of their future city and learn about how they used the "Sim City" video game to help them develop their unique urban landscapes. Projects will be judged and awards will be presented to winners for excellence in a variety of categories No reservation required.

Thanks for the info Floppo. Did a quick Google search on John's of Bleecker and came up with this. May look at other options....lol Have you ever been to the Transport Museum? That's another one that I know my son would enjoy.
That's awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread