What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (2 Viewers)

RUSF18 said:
BobbyLayne said:
RUSF18 said:
BobbyLayne said:
RUSF18 said:
Citibike station map

Right now there are 6,000 bikes at 330 stations below 59th St in Manhattan and above Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn. By next year it will be 10K and 600. Right now they're being used about 25,000 times a day.
Aha...so not real tourist oriented. We use them in South Beach....but you can buy by the half hour. Perfect for going from one end to the other...or cruising around sight-seeing...without committing much money.Great deal for a resident though.
Really a great deal.GIve an example of how it might be good for me:

I live at 64th and 1st. Work in Lower East Side. I can walk 10-12 min to 63rd and Lex to the subway. Wait anywhere from 0-10 minutes for a train, and ride about 20 to get to work. May even take longer.

Or I can cruise 2nd Ave, and be there in 15-18 minutes. Really a much, much better way to get to work.
All this makes you realize is how ####ed the NYC subway system is.
When does the 2nd Ave line start up?
Start. Surely you jest.
:lmao:

West side guy, I don't pay attention.

Phase I - 3 stations open Dec 2016. What was that, only 9 years and how many billion? Awesome.

Phase II, III and IV remain unfunded.

Give it another decade or two, that east side commute will be a breeze.
About two years ago at work I was looking at some real estate debt that included one of the newer buildings in the mid 80s and Lex. They were going to have portions of their garage impacted by the construction, so they were a bit more in the loop on the progress. Two years ago they were targeting 2019 for Phase I completion.

What I find funny in talking to people around the city is how few realize that this phase is only going down to 63rd street, which of course doesn't help many who are looking to get downtown and stay on the east side.

I moved to 57th and 2nd a couple years back, hoping that I would be out of the city by the time any construction got down to there. At this rate, our unborn kid might have his first apartment in Midtown East and not feel any effects.
hmmm... this might be a record hipple for me, but wtf....

the time saved is pretty great. I live in the EVil/LES, take my son to school in the deepest darkest part of hte LES and then go to work in Soho. The walk to work and back, each way, is about 20-25 minutes. The bike is 6-8 minutes. That makes all the difference in getting to see my 2yo daughter before she goes to sleep at 7 or not. (also gets me to work on "time" rather than 15 minutes late each day.

Also... after our fire in- wow- 2010, we lived for a few months at 56th between 1st and 2nd. So there's that. When's your kid due?

I think Floppo had a hand in writing this article for tourists visiting NYC.

https://medium.com/having-it-some/53983949d8ee

The rules of the road from wherever you live are exactly the same as the rules of the sidewalk here.

Picture each sidewalk as a two-way highway. Somewhere to be, and quick? Stay in the center lane and keep moving. Have a big group? Move single file and tailgate each other. See something interesting you’d like to check out? Pull the #### over to the right and get out of my way, because if you stop short in the middle of the street, I swear to God I WILL steamroll your ### and leave you bleeding on the pavement of Bleecker Street......
Preach. I walk to work- our sidewalk rules may seem silly to the car-driving herds of suburbanites, but have a little empathy and imagine drviing to work with people stopping in the middle of the road or blocking both lanes while they drive 5 mph and take pictures.

Stay to the right... this isn't Hong Kong or Anguilla.

And as opposed to the writer here, if you have to pass somebody- pass on the left and then get back to the right; there is ALWAYS somebody going faster than you behind you.

I always envision more than two people walking abreast on the sidewalk as putting out an open invitation for people going the other way to play Red Rover with them- and damned if I'm going to get caught..

And then there are the people who walk two abreast, but seeing nobody in front of them, expand the space between them to take up the entire sidewalk. Because... you know... nobody could possibly be behind them going faster.

You on the bicycle- you're going to have to hit me. I'm not getting out of your way- get on the ####### street you imbecile.

And don't get me started on the subways...
Worst to me is the tunnel between the ACE and the Times Square lines. A lot of people trying to commute with a ton of tourists blocking up the path.

I think Floppo had a hand in writing this article for tourists visiting NYC.

https://medium.com/having-it-some/53983949d8ee

The rules of the road from wherever you live are exactly the same as the rules of the sidewalk here.

Picture each sidewalk as a two-way highway. Somewhere to be, and quick? Stay in the center lane and keep moving. Have a big group? Move single file and tailgate each other. See something interesting youd like to check out? Pull the #### over to the right and get out of my way, because if you stop short in the middle of the street, I swear to God I WILL steamroll your ### and leave you bleeding on the pavement of Bleecker Street......
Preach. I walk to work- our sidewalk rules may seem silly to the car-driving herds of suburbanites, but have a little empathy and imagine drviing to work with people stopping in the middle of the road or blocking both lanes while they drive 5 mph and take pictures.Stay to the right... this isn't Hong Kong or Anguilla.

And as opposed to the writer here, if you have to pass somebody- pass on the left and then get back to the right; there is ALWAYS somebody going faster than you behind you.

I always envision more than two people walking abreast on the sidewalk as putting out an open invitation for people going the other way to play Red Rover with them- and damned if I'm going to get caught..

And then there are the people who walk two abreast, but seeing nobody in front of them, expand the space between them to take up the entire sidewalk. Because... you know... nobody could possibly be behind them going faster.

You on the bicycle- you're going to have to hit me. I'm not getting out of your way- get on the ####### street you imbecile.

And don't get me started on the subways...
Worst to me is the tunnel between the ACE and the Times Square lines. A lot of people trying to commute with a ton of tourists blocking up the path.
Me, every GD day.

Live in HK mid-40s; work south side of Bryant Park. Quicker to walk than the M42. Unavoidable annoyance of going through that area.

Then along came Citibike. ####### glorious solution.

Also... after our fire in- wow- 2010, we lived for a few months at 56th between 1st and 2nd. So there's that. When's your kid due?
LOL, sorry...no kid on the way at this time. Yet I still think he/she will be living in the city before that subway is up and running :) .

We almost took an apt on that block. 343 e 56th maybe? It was very cheap and had big living space, but the kitchen was miniscule and it was in the back of the building so there was barely any light coming in. Ended up finding a 2BR sublet (they had already converted a massive living room with a real wall, not one of those pressurized ones) in a co-op on 57th that was well below market.

You been up there recently? That school on the corner of 56th and 2nd was knocked down. It looks very weird but we have a nice view down 2nd now.

Ok... Roosevelt Island- anybody know somebody who's lived there?
Guy at the desk next to me right now has lived there for a couple years. I've spent plenty of time there at the fields as well. You looking there?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am standing in line for Shakespeare in the park tickets as I type this. Pretty kick### day to be chilling in central park

LOL, sorry...no kid on the way at this time. Yet I still think he/she will be living in the city before that subway is up and running :) .

We almost took an apt on that block. 343 e 56th maybe? It was very cheap and had big living space, but the kitchen was miniscule and it was in the back of the building so there was barely any light coming in. Ended up finding a 2BR sublet (they had already converted a massive living room with a real wall, not one of those pressurized ones) in a co-op on 57th that was well below market.

You been up there recently? That school on the corner of 56th and 2nd was knocked down. It looks very weird but we have a nice view down 2nd now.

Guy at the desk next to me right now has lived there for a couple years. I've spent plenty of time there at the fields as well. You looking there?
We used to catch the M15 in front of that school- wow. That was a big building, IIRC. What's going there now... lemme guess... luxury condos/rentals.

Yes. Damn me... we are looking at Roosevelt Island as a possible place to live.

It's basically the only place in District 2 that has 3brs that aren't absolute #### in our price range. Decent apartments for good prices- but wow, that place is like a post-war european suburb with lots of people living in non-descript tall buildings with zero street. cultural or urban presence.

We could probably find 3brs down in the deep LES by our kid's school- but we want to bail on the school and the district (1).

We used to catch the M15 in front of that school- wow. That was a big building, IIRC. What's going there now... lemme guess... luxury condos/rentals.

It's basically the only place in District 2 that has 3brs that aren't absolute #### in our price range. Decent apartments for good prices- but wow, that place is like a post-war european suburb with lots of people living in non-descript tall buildings with zero street. cultural or urban presence.

We could probably find 3brs down in the deep LES by our kid's school- but we want to bail on the school and the district (1).
We used to say that it looked like the set of a zombie movie before they would appear.

But yeah, you get a lot more for your money there. You need to be willing to head into the city to do virtually everything though, which from reading your posts it sounds like you'd be fine with. I heard they do now have a grocery store at least, and the few restaurants they have are supposed to be decent.

Oops, jamny is right.

Helmets are required by law for children age 13 or younger and working cyclists
That's odd adding working cyclists to the law.
Ride long enough and you'll get doored at some point. Messengers are way worse than delivery guys. They act like MTA bus drivers, they're coming, you better move.
I got hit by one when I was crossing the street in midtown, he was barrelling down a 1 way street going the wrong way he yelled at me to stay on the sidewalk, I told him to #### off and learn the rules of the road.

Oops, jamny is right.

Helmets are required by law for children age 13 or younger and working cyclists
That's odd adding working cyclists to the law.
Ride long enough and you'll get doored at some point. Messengers are way worse than delivery guys. They act like MTA bus drivers, they're coming, you better move.
I got hit by one when I was crossing the street in midtown, he was barrelling down a 1 way street going the wrong way he yelled at me to stay on the sidewalk, I told him to #### off and learn the rules of the road.
Ok- so I was jay-walking in the neighborhood... with my younger kid in her stroller to boot... but quiet one-way street and no traffic coming at all. As I nose out into the street, a voice yells "mind the light" as he rides his bike the wrong way from the other direction. I rammed the stroller into his back wheel.

I am standing in line for Shakespeare in the park tickets as I type this. Pretty kick### day to be chilling in central park
When you get back gb? Drinks this weekend? Maybe TU or others would join in.
Got back about 6 weeks ago. Drinks this weekend may work actually. Been crashing at a friends place, moving into my new spot on 64th and 1st on Sunday night.

Missed out on tix by about 20 people yesterday. Bummer.

We used to say that it looked like the set of a zombie movie before they would appear.

But yeah, you get a lot more for your money there. You need to be willing to head into the city to do virtually everything though, which from reading your posts it sounds like you'd be fine with. I heard they do now have a grocery store at least, and the few restaurants they have are supposed to be decent.
lol- that's pretty accurate and makes the thought of moving there a little...

yeah- there's a new gourmet market that just opened. I can't imagine which if any of that handful of restaurants are any good, but I'll take your word for it.

How does your coworker like it? does he have a family? how does he deal with the commute, especially night-time? what's his favorite color?

Got back about 6 weeks ago. Drinks this weekend may work actually. Been crashing at a friends place, moving into my new spot on 64th and 1st on Sunday night.Missed out on tix by about 20 people yesterday. Bummer.
I'll send pm tomorrow to get your cell, unless it's the same as before. My girls got a bachelorette party sat do I'm free.

Koya said:
Got back about 6 weeks ago. Drinks this weekend may work actually. Been crashing at a friends place, moving into my new spot on 64th and 1st on Sunday night.Missed out on tix by about 20 people yesterday. Bummer.
I'll send pm tomorrow to get your cell, unless it's the same as before. My girls got a bachelorette party sat do I'm free.
Cell is the same, but mine was factory-reset, so shoot me a text.

Citibike station map

Right now there are 6,000 bikes at 330 stations below 59th St in Manhattan and above Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn. By next year it will be 10K and 600. Right now they're being used about 25,000 times a day.
Aha...so not real tourist oriented. We use them in South Beach....but you can buy by the half hour. Perfect for going from one end to the other...or cruising around sight-seeing...without committing much money.Great deal for a resident though.
Really a great deal.GIve an example of how it might be good for me:

I live at 64th and 1st. Work in Lower East Side. I can walk 10-12 min to 63rd and Lex to the subway. Wait anywhere from 0-10 minutes for a train, and ride about 20 to get to work. May even take longer.

Or I can cruise 2nd Ave, and be there in 15-18 minutes. Really a much, much better way to get to work.
All this makes you realize is how ####ed the NYC subway system is.
When does the 2nd Ave line start up?
Start. Surely you jest.
:lmao:

West side guy, I don't pay attention.

Phase I - 3 stations open Dec 2016. What was that, only 9 years and how many billion? Awesome.

Phase II, III and IV remain unfunded.

Give it another decade or two, that east side commute will be a breeze.
Your off by about 80 years. First plans for the 2nd ave line were laid out in the 1920s. I don't think they will complete it in my lifetime.

El Floppo said:

yeah- there's a new gourmet market that just opened. I can't imagine which if any of that handful of restaurants are any good, but I'll take your word for it.

How does your coworker like it? does he have a family? how does he deal with the commute, especially night-time? what's his favorite color?
Flop - you look into Stuy Town at all? that complex used to have some good deals and even with the change in ownership and recent rate hikes, I think the prices are fairly reasonable. Good place for families if you don't mind living in the :projects:

El Floppo said:

Not the best person to go off of since he's a transplant from Texas...older guy here with his wife for a few years to cash in a bit pre-retirement. He likes it for the reasons you'd expect...more space than you'd get in Manhattan, everything in the apt is new, an easy commute into midtown...and that's about it. He is pretty happy taking the F back and forth and they usually do the tram on the weekends, as they spend more time on the UES so it's easier to just head up 2nd.

He wears black cowboy boots so I'll go with that.

I'd say you're a hell of a father if you're willing to live there just to get your kid into a certain school district.

El Floppo said:

Flop - you look into Stuy Town at all? that complex used to have some good deals and even with the change in ownership and recent rate hikes, I think the prices are fairly reasonable. Good place for families if you don't mind living in the :projects:
Major- thanks for the rec. :thumbup:

We lived in ST for 8 months after our fire. It's pretty decent price-wise and the grounds are great- we go up there all the time just to run around (Jr takes Soccer classes there and he's got a bunch of friends that live there). The walls and floor/ceilings are paper thin- we heard every conversation and footfall in the apt above us and our downstairs (crotchety old lady) stopped by our pad too many times to passive aggressively tell us to ####, despite us being pretty quiet once the kids went to sleep.

But the real problem is that there are no 3 BRs , no matter what the ads say. Peter Cooper Village (above 20th St) has nice 3BRs- but they're out of our pricerange. The layouts for the 2BRs in ST (where we lived) are pretty ####- with a long hall, miniscule kitchen and Bath, cramped LR, decent 2nd BR and massive master BR. Shyster brokers try to pass off illegally closing off the LR as a BR and using the hallway as a LR as making the 2BRs a 3BR. They also show illegally splitting the MBR in two along with closing off the LR and call that as a 4BR. Whenever I see either of those listed- and you know immediately to distrust anybody posting ST apartments- my head explodes.

Also- part of ST is in District 1- which is what we're trying to avoid.

We're talking to a guy in South St Seaport area... so who knows.

If anyone is around Sat night, I'll be bartending at Antarctica (Hudson and Spring) from 7:30 PM until close. I'll be the bartender who isn't the hot 21 year old chick.

If anyone is around Sat night, I'll be bartending at Antarctica (Hudson and Spring) from 7:30 PM until close. I'll be the bartender who isn't the hot 21 year old chick.
So, you are saying that one of the bartenders is a hot chick?

Count me in either way. Maybe MR can drop by. Last I saw him was out in Vegas watching the Giants choke against the Bears on Sun or Mon night football.

I think you tourists usually waste your time with total crap that gives you no clue about what NYC is really about, and usually all the guides on what to do in NY strike me as crap.

This one is actually really, really good, and if you get through these things during a visit, you'll actually have a real sense of this city other than "oh wow, we saw times square, the empire state building, and we went in the stupid torch of the statue of liberty."

http://www.businessinsider.com/33-things-every-new-yorker-should-do-this-summer-2013-7?op=1#ixzz2Xpm0In4W

Great list. YWIA

Bonus: my wife and I did it publicly in one of these spaces when we were dating. On my birthday. WHICH BY THE WAY IS TODAY. HAPPY BIRTHDAY OTIS

:heart:

I think you tourists usually waste your time with total crap that gives you no clue about what NYC is really about, and usually all the guides on what to do in NY strike me as crap.

This one is actually really, really good, and if you get through these things during a visit, you'll actually have a real sense of this city other than "oh wow, we saw times square, the empire state building, and we went in the stupid torch of the statue of liberty."

http://www.businessinsider.com/33-things-every-new-yorker-should-do-this-summer-2013-7?op=1#ixzz2Xpm0In4W

Great list. YWIA

Bonus: my wife and I did it publicly in one of these spaces when we were dating. On my birthday. WHICH BY THE WAY IS TODAY. HAPPY BIRTHDAY OTIS

:heart:
Very good list.

Best place to put back a few bloody marys in NYC??
Essex used to be one of my favorite brunch places. They had some great all you can drink options, cool scene. Haven't been in years.

Williamsburg Brooklyn otherwise has about a million really awesome brunch places.

Best place to put back a few bloody marys in NYC??
Essex used to be one of my favorite brunch places. They had some great all you can drink options, cool scene. Haven't been in years.

Williamsburg Brooklyn otherwise has about a million really awesome brunch places.
Essex is still a scene. You definitely need reservations unless you're planning on a 3pm brunch. It's like $23 for a dish plus 3 drinks. If you're taking too long at the table, they'll make you get up and will give you drink tickets to take to the bar (usually they'll throw in an extra freebie). That being said, when I had a brunch for my wife and some of her friends earlier this year, we definitely lingered and they treated us well.

I really don't like bloody marys but it's one of the only places I can drink them. Their Mexican Matzah Brei is insanely good.

I'm not sure if they have actual all you can drinks anymore, maybe a midweek HH?

Not a bloody mary guy but tried one at Prune for brunch and it was pretty damn good. Had a beef jerky strip in it which was a nice touch.

Not a bloody mary guy but tried one at Prune for brunch and it was pretty damn good. Had a beef jerky strip in it which was a nice touch.
Speaking of jerky and Essex...you can get bloody marys made with bacon vodka instead of their standard for an extra buck or two. It's interesting.

I could use some help here as I am heading to the city for the first time next week. I've read through many pages of this thread and it's pretty overwhelming with advice and can't miss places. I don't even know which is the best way to get there from upstate NY(6 hr drive/parking an issue?) (7 hour train 130.00) (fly in 230.00). We'd also be looking for a nice but cheaper hotel that is in a walkable area to some places we'd like to hit. The hardest part is not knowing where everything is and what makes sense to schedule for one day vs the other and the order to do them in. So I ask for help and am open to suggestions.

Just the wife and I looking to do some quicker site seeing, enjoy some unique NYC foods and watering holes and have one really nice dinner. Get in on a Wednesday afternoon, have all day Thursday, Have a Yankees game at 7:00 on Friday, leave Saturday morning...

Some places that seem worth seeing/doing

Top of the Rock/Rainbow room

Ground Zero

SI Ferry

Chelsea Market

Katz's Reuben

Times Square

Good Pizza place

Bagels

MET

Not sure if those hop on and off tours make sense as they seem to allow you to avoid waiting in line..

I'd like to try to fit a couple of under the radar spots too like mentioned here and above, but know my time is short. http://www.businessi...1#ixzz2Xpm0In4W

Thanks guys...

Who else got woken up at 3:51 this morning?
That Amber alert? wtf!

I turned off all my alerts this morning on my phone. I don't care if a tornado is coming. Or a sharknado.
Sadly, that's what most people are going to do. I understand that there are a good amount of people who are up and about a 4am in NYC that could potentially help out, but likely the vast majority turned off their emergency alerts after that one.

any good stories about citi bikes? I'd love to see the comedy ensue with all these out of shape fatties and inexperienced riders trying to navigate NYC on two wheels. Do you have to wear a helmet?

That Amber alert? wtf!

I turned off all my alerts this morning on my phone. I don't care if a tornado is coming. Or a sharknado.
Sadly, that's what most people are going to do. I understand that there are a good amount of people who are up and about a 4am in NYC that could potentially help out, but likely the vast majority turned off their emergency alerts after that one.
What's weird is I noticed there was no way to uncheck the "Presidential Alerts" box. wth is that?

That Amber alert? wtf!

What's weird is I noticed there was no way to uncheck the "Presidential Alerts" box. wth is that?
Saw that too. I'm assuming some serious power was granted to the office under extreme national security issues.

jwp said:
I have a NYC question...Are there typically checkpoints you have to go through other than the toll booths on the major interstates or around JFK airport? Like DUI/security, etc.

If so how far away do you need to be to not worry about it?
Dude, WTF are you planning, and should we alert the authorities now?

If its not so nefarious and you are asking about DUI checkpoints a couple thoughts:

1. I think they care everywhere, so doesn't matter how "far from the city" you are

2. Do you plan to come to NY , get plastered and just drive around?

Sketchy my friend. Sketchy indeed.

Does anyone have a beach front hotel recommendation for Montauk or the Jersey Shore? Something not too far from the city and kid friendly?

jwp said:
Heck no. I'm not dumb enough to drive around the place I'm from plastered. I'm just wondering about checkpoints. There is something I'm contemplating bringing and enjoying on the way home but if there's a chance of being stopped and a dog sniffing my car then I'm thinking I won't risk it.
That's any typical Koya trip to the city

Does anyone have a beach front hotel recommendation for Montauk or the Jersey Shore? Something not too far from the city and kid friendly?
I've never been here and don't know your budget but I hear good things about Gurney's
Tried there already. They are booked up through September unfortunately. Vacancies are going to be hard to come by I'm afraid.

ETA, the website is showing vacancy mid September but the reservation lady told me no. This may work. Other suggestions are welcome!

I've never been here and don't know your budget but I hear good things about Gurney's
Tried there already. They are booked up through September unfortunately. Vacancies are going to be hard to come by I'm afraid.
Yeah, should've figured.

As I've mentioned on other threads, I went to Cape Cod recently and loved it. Plenty of options for places to stay. hth

We left at 7 am and were there by 11:30.

Yeah, should've figured.

As I've mentioned on other threads, I went to Cape Cod recently and loved it. Plenty of options for places to stay. hth

Not to muddy up this thread, but where did you stay?

Yeah, should've figured.

Not to muddy up this thread, but where did you stay?
We stayed for the first time at a B&B. Platinum Pebble

Really loved it but it's not beachfront and not really for kids. Great for couples though.

We're planning to stay at Wequassett Resort next year.

eta: Chatham Bars Inn is another good option

jwp said:
Heck no. I'm not dumb enough to drive around the place I'm from plastered. I'm just wondering about checkpoints. There is something I'm contemplating bringing and enjoying on the way home but if there's a chance of being stopped and a dog sniffing my car then I'm thinking I won't risk it.
I'm more concerned with stop and frisk - rarely drive to the city, and when I do, not going to be all wasted.

PS - WB Sammy. Where ya been? New WIS gonna start in a couple months, just wrapped one up.

jwp said:
Well I'm in Floral Park, Queens NY right now. I'm going on a bus tour tomorrow. I need to know the best way to get from Grand Central station to 777 8th avenue between 47th and 48th street. Is it walkable or do I need a cab or something else.
M42 (MTA bus on 42nd) - but that's not the only place they sell grayline tickets. 1560 B'way (46th) is closer to GCT.

jwp said:
I'm more concerned with stop and frisk - rarely drive to the city, and when I do, not going to be all wasted.

PS - WB Sammy. Where ya been? New WIS gonna start in a couple months, just wrapped one up.
You don't have to worry about stop and frisk if you're white.

jwp said:
I bought my ticket online and I printed a voucher. I thought I had to go to the address they have printed on the voucher? I will take the LIRR Manhattan tomorrow from here.
If you're taking LIRR you're not going to GCT - you're going to Penn Station. Follow the signs to the west/8th Ave side and hop on the C or E train to 50th. Get on/off the back of the train, you'll come out the 49th/8th subway entrance. Walk against traffic for a block & there ya go.

Um... :bye:

Wife and I will be in the City saturday. Day club party, then nap, then we are open. Will stop in at some point at the least.

jwp said:

You don't have to worry about stop and frisk if you're white.
My wife is part black. Part Puerto Rican. Part Native American. Luckily, she's more racist than Riley and comes off as a snooty white looking latina.

Users who are viewing this thread