What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (2 Viewers)

Does anyone have a beach front hotel recommendation for Montauk or the Jersey Shore? Something not too far from the city and kid friendly?
I've never been here and don't know your budget but I hear good things about Gurney's
Gurney's used to be just awesome. It's had some fits of late and I had heard that there was a significant decline. That said, I believe it was recently bought out and either is, or soon will be, back to its former glory. Not sure it's especially kid friendly, but it's worth looking into.

If anyone is around Sat night, I'll be bartending at Antarctica (Hudson and Spring) from 7:30 PM until close. I'll be the bartender who isn't the hot 21 year old chick.
Um... :bye:

Wife and I will be in the City saturday. Day club party, then nap, then we are open. Will stop in at some point at the least.
Don't forget your time machine.
D'oh. I was like, july 29gth, oh thats monday.

Let me check with TU as he might be there again.

:coffee:

jwp said:
BobbyLayne said:
jwp said:
I bought my ticket online and I printed a voucher. I thought I had to go to the address they have printed on the voucher? I will take the LIRR Manhattan tomorrow from here.
If you're taking LIRR you're not going to GCT - you're going to Penn Station. Follow the signs to the west/8th Ave side and hop on the C or E train to 50th. Get on/off the back of the train, you'll come out the 49th/8th subway entrance. Walk against traffic for a block & there ya go.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I was nervous going to Manhattan for the first time. I had an ok time but it was hard lugging my daughter around all day in the bjorn. I would've enjoyed a lot more if I'd gone when I was single.
Ah yes. Didn't realize you had baggage. Pick up an umbrella stroller if you can. 20 bucks at babies r us in union square. The bjorn is awesome but you need a break.

jwp said:
Heck no. I'm not dumb enough to drive around the place I'm from plastered. I'm just wondering about checkpoints. There is something I'm contemplating bringing and enjoying on the way home but if there's a chance of being stopped and a dog sniffing my car then I'm thinking I won't risk it.
That's any typical Koya trip to the city
I'm more concerned with stop and frisk - rarely drive to the city, and when I do, not going to be all wasted.

PS - WB Sammy. Where ya been? New WIS gonna start in a couple months, just wrapped one up.
lol @ stop/frisk. As long as you're rich and/or white, move around the nice areas, and don't bring too much attention to yourself, you good. Live your f'in life...stop being such a paranoid p

Last edited by a moderator:
jwp said:
Heck no. I'm not dumb enough to drive around the place I'm from plastered. I'm just wondering about checkpoints. There is something I'm contemplating bringing and enjoying on the way home but if there's a chance of being stopped and a dog sniffing my car then I'm thinking I won't risk it.
I'm more concerned with stop and frisk - rarely drive to the city, and when I do, not going to be all wasted.

PS - WB Sammy. Where ya been? New WIS gonna start in a couple months, just wrapped one up.
lol @ stop/frisk. As long as you're rich and/or white, move around the nice areas, and don't bring too much attention to yourself, you good. Live your f'in life...stop being such a paranoid p
You'd think the NY thread would be a bit more wise to sarcasm. I've never so much thought about being S&F'd (although Im sure the NSA will pass this along so I get pegged when I'm there next). It's not like they NYPD is lining up outside of a beaumarchais day party anyway... and my wife would be much more fun to frisk than I.

ETA: The NSA thing was sarcasm.

EETA: I think.

jwp said:

You'd think the NY thread would be a bit more wise to sarcasm. I've never so much thought about being S&F'd (although Im sure the NSA will pass this along so I get pegged when I'm there next). It's not like they NYPD is lining up outside of a beaumarchais day party anyway... and my wife would be much more fun to frisk than I.

ETA: The NSA thing was sarcasm.

EETA: I think.
:doh:

My post was more meant for JWD but I haven't been keeping up with the thread or the sense of humor some of us share. I've been dealing with a flock of grumpy, flyover state folk in the Robin Thicke thread so I've been a bit jaded. I forgot about this friendly NYC iOasis.

jwp said:
Guys thanks for the NYC advice. My trip is over and I fired up something nice last Saturday evening somewhere on the NJ turnpike with no problems.
I spark all throughout the city.....cops just tell me to put it out if they want to be #####. They're not worried about weed unless you're black and or/poor.

jwp said:
Hey major if what you say is true then why did Amanda Bynes get in trouble? She is white with a lot of money.
She's an idiot....i don't smoke in the lobby of my apt building, in my elevator, disregard authority and throw bongs out the window if the cops ever knock on my door.

jwp said:
Guys thanks for the NYC advice. My trip is over and I fired up something nice last Saturday evening somewhere on the NJ turnpike with no problems.
I spark all throughout the city.....cops just tell me to put it out if they want to be #####. They're not worried about weed unless you're black and or/poor.
:yes:

Took a client to the Rangers game this spring, as we walked up to MSG he torched a doobie. I was like WTH, it's been, what 18 years? Might be fun. We made it about 3/4s of the way across 31st Street across from the arena when two plains clothes guys came out of nowhere. They were smiling and joking around "Guys, it's not your ####### back yard. You could have gone right over there behind that bar. Yada yada yada." Shook hands and told us to have a good night.

Oh, and I def had the Louis CK experience that night. I was taking 1982 monster hits, not realizing how potent dope is these days. I thought for sure I was going to have a heart attack walking in, and the first period was a blur. About an hour later I could finally function semi-normally again.

jwp said:

Took a client to the Rangers game this spring, as we walked up to MSG he torched a doobie. I was like WTH, it's been, what 18 years? Might be fun. We made it about 3/4s of the way across 31st Street across from the arena when two plains clothes guys came out of nowhere. They were smiling and joking around "Guys, it's not your ####### back yard. You could have gone right over there behind that bar. Yada yada yada." Shook hands and told us to have a good night.

Oh, and I def had the Louis CK experience that night. I was taking 1982 monster hits, not realizing how potent dope is these days. I thought for sure I was going to have a heart attack walking in, and the first period was a blur. About an hour later I could finally function semi-normally again.
Yeap, you gotta drive slow homey. I only take 1-2 hits from a one hit vaporizer (save my lungs) and I'm good for an 1-2 hrs. It's like drinking beer your whole life and then throwing back some 151.

jwp said:

Yeap, you gotta drive slow homey. I only take 1-2 hits from a one hit vaporizer (save my lungs) and I'm good for an 1-2 hrs. It's like drinking beer your whole life and then throwing back some 151.
I've been retelling that story for months, and I'm pretty sure I'm done for good. I was like f that, man. I just wanted a mellow buzz, not a double hit of purple microdot.

jwp said:

I've been retelling that story for months, and I'm pretty sure I'm done for good. I was like f that, man. I just wanted a mellow buzz, not a double hit of purple microdot.
yeah, I'm 37...still have a few years in me.

jwp said:

:lol:

F'n AARP

I remember 37. Damn that was a good year. I don't think I made it above 14th Street all year.

jwp said:

:lol:

F'n AARP

I remember 37. Damn that was a good year. I don't think I made it above 14th Street all year.
I currently teach cowgirls how to ride in Tejas but next time I'm in NYC (early Fall), I'll howla at you ol' folk.

jwp said:
One sort of cool thing happened to me in NYC. I was walking down a street somewhere in midtown and this black guy with a shaved head gets out of a limo and walks to the entrance of a building. Then he gets mobbed by people taking his pic and asking him stuff. The only problem was that I had no clue who he was. So after he went inside I asked a girl who was there who the guy was. She said what I heard as Kahman. She said he's an actor and singer. Later I did an image search and figured out this guys name is Common and I guess he was there for the Jimmy Fallon show.
I don't know his music but he's real good on the show Hell on Wheels

jwp said:
One sort of cool thing happened to me in NYC. I was walking down a street somewhere in midtown and this black guy with a shaved head gets out of a limo and walks to the entrance of a building. Then he gets mobbed by people taking his pic and asking him stuff. The only problem was that I had no clue who he was. So after he went inside I asked a girl who was there who the guy was. She said what I heard as Kahman. She said he's an actor and singer. Later I did an image search and figured out this guys name is Common and I guess he was there for the Jimmy Fallon show.
:lmao:

only one of the most successful MCs out there. Dude is huge. You've seen him in a lot of movies/tele.

Pass me the black velvet embassy suite killin me
Spell it Maxi Priest caught me in a daze up on Delancy Street
Stand solar, deadly vengeance with a crowbar
It's like the dreads worshipin Jah, so ha-lo-ha
Pineapple crushed 850 swerve it with a rush
Plush the Canola Range spittin off the roof, holdin my change
Yo it's ragtime, universal 12 Monkey mind
It's like, stalkin through your airport *BZZZZZZT* with a chunky nine

~Ghostface Killah aka Thor Molecules aka Cocaine Biceps

We're staying at the W Hoboken.
Pretty sure this is going to be a huge mistake.
Oh no... how was the trip?
Hmm, I guess I didn't ever come back in this thread... after all the planning/advice/suggestions from so many helpful FBG's last year, we didn't end up going. Both of our hotels were out of commission due to Sandy. We got full refunds and took a trip a little closer to home (Ottawa/Montreal). It was fun, but nothing new since I've been to both a few times.

Anyway, we're going to try again from the 19th-23rd of October.

I had an itinerary done for the last trip, so not starting from scratch, but I do have a couple questions.

It looks like South St. Seaport is still suffering from the aftermath and Pier 17 is closing until 2015, I guess I can scratch this off the list?

Is there anything I need to see in Times Square during the day or in Central Park at night?

We don't have a hotel booked yet, I'll likely use Priceline/hotwire - it looks like right now Hoboken/Long Island City are almost as expensive as the hotels in NYC, so we'll likely stay somewhere in Manhattan this time - I'll be driving down, I've seen it suggested to park in Newark and take the train in - any comments on doing this vs. driving in/finding somewhere to park? We'll be leaving here Friday after work, it's about an 8 hour drive, we'll stop at a hotel halfway down Friday night (Syracuse, maybe), then get up early and arrive around 1PM to get to a 3 PM check in on Saturday. Is traffic any better/worse on weekends, or should I not even consider driving? In doing some research, some say Toronto is worse than New York traffic wise, and I drive into downtown T.O. a few times a month. Parking cost would be a factor here too.

In terms of general plan:

Saturday - arrive/check in/get some touristy stuff out of the way - top of the rock, grab quick dinner (pizza spot nearby? Last time Pastafina was recommended but looks like the location near TS closed), times square at night, etc...

Sunday - was thinking of doing Williamsburg Flea/Brooklyn Brewery/Williamsburg area for part of the day and then Greenwich village later on - I see TU recommended John's for pizza dinner/Sweet revenge for beer/desert which sounds good, then it looks like the Comedy Cellar is right in the area as well.

Monday - Some combination of Tom's Restaurant (Seinfeld), Central Park, Museum of Natural History, Shake Shack, The Met - then we have no plans for this evening, so I'm open to suggestions. Maybe TKTS at 3 when it opens and a show later on, or possibly the Jazz Standard which we wanted to do last time.

Tuesday - Will likely do the Wall Street/Brooklyn Bridge/World Trade Memorial/Statue of Liberty early on (lunch recommendation? Made Fresh Daily was recommended last time - not sure its Status now). Not sure about the afternoon, but I wouldn't mind going somewhere to have a few beers, then that evening we're seeing Franz Ferdinand at the Hammerstein ballroom.

Wednesday drive home.

Anyway, I'll take any input/criticism/suggestions over the next few weeks. We want to mix the tourist stuff with seeing as many different areas as we can - so far I think we get to financial district, times square/theatre district/central park/Williamsburg/Greenwich Village, what other areas am I missing. I don't have Chelsea/Soho/East Village in there at all, what am I missing?

We don't have a hotel booked yet, I'll likely use Priceline/hotwire - it looks like right now Hoboken/Long Island City are almost as expensive as the hotels in NYC, so we'll likely stay somewhere in Manhattan this time - I'll be driving down, I've seen it suggested to park in Newark and take the train in - any comments on doing this vs. driving in/finding somewhere to park? We'll be leaving here Friday after work, it's about an 8 hour drive, we'll stop at a hotel halfway down Friday night (Syracuse, maybe), then get up early and arrive around 1PM to get to a 3 PM check in on Saturday. Is traffic any better/worse on weekends, or should I not even consider driving? In doing some research, some say Toronto is worse than New York traffic wise, and I drive into downtown T.O. a few times a month. Parking cost would be a factor here too.
Daytime should I drive/where do I park bump.

Daytime should I drive/where do I park bump.
Lower East Side there's a few chains with great prices on priceline/hotwire sites. There's def one spot near Delancey. This is the real NYC and you're a walk across the bridge from Brooklyn. Great location and very safe.

http://stmarkshotel.net/

$140 a night all-in (inc. taxes/fees/etc..) - NO ELEVATOR, I like the location

CASH ONLY

I was on the top floor, so if you have bad knees you should pass. Probably the best deal in the city, it is near subways, bars and food options - it was clean, safe, A.C. worked great, tiny room and small bathroom - but for $140 a night you can't expect much. Also you can give them a false name if that's your thing, they just have you fill out a card, don't check ID, don't take an imprint of your credit card.

CASH ONLY

I was on the top floor, so if you have bad knees you should pass. Probably the best deal in the city, it is near subways, bars and food options - it was clean, safe, A.C. worked great, tiny room and small bathroom - but for $140 a night you can't expect much. Also you can give them a false name if that's your thing, they just have you fill out a card, don't check ID, don't take an imprint of your credit card.
That place used to be a dump/drug/hooker spot and it's on a loud street full of hipsters. I lived in that area for 10 years and would never want to live on St. Marks btw 2/3. I'd rather pay $10-30 more and get a quality hotel on the Lower East Side that is backed by a national chain.

If you want that vibe then Chelsea Hotel is the place. I stayed there for a month b/c they have a deal for artists.

CASH ONLY

That place used to be a dump/drug/hooker spot and it's on a loud street full of hipsters. I lived in that area for 10 years and would never want to live on St. Marks btw 2/3. I'd rather pay $10-30 more and get a quality hotel on the Lower East Side that is backed by a national chain.

If you want that vibe then Chelsea Hotel is the place. I stayed there for a month b/c they have a deal for artists.
I think you are seriously out of touch with how much a hotel in NYC costs, please show me a place that costs $10 more after taxes/nyc fees/etc...

The Hotel Chelsea is currently closed.

CASH ONLY

I think you are seriously out of touch with how much a hotel in NYC costs, please show me a place that costs $10 more after taxes/nyc fees/etc...

hotwire is your friend.....some FBGs have got some great deals on the LES through there

CASH ONLY

hotwire is your friend.....some FBGs have got some great deals on the LES through there
Hotwire's Downtown-Soho-Financial District area covers a lot of ground. It's good if you're flexible, do your research and have a bit of luck on your side. We got a good Hotwire rate the BW-Bowery Hanbee (at Grand & Bowery) a few years ago. It was a nice room and a decent Chinatown/LES location.

Since NV has a car to schlep luggage around in, it might be worth trying different partial sets of dates in Hotwire. You can often find wider selection of Hotwire properties and lower rates if you split your weekend and weekday dates of your visit. Hotel hopping also has other benefits in terms of planning your itinerary to reduce travel times.

CASH ONLY

Like I said you are out of touch with how much hotels cost in NYC. I chose the 3 neighborhoods furthest south in NYC:

http://i.imgur.com/nczavWQ.png

Even if you are able to get a cheaper rate in midtown or uptown you don't know the hotel you are getting, you don't know if you have a shared bathroom or dorm room unless it specifies, typically to get a rate at $150 (all-in) or less those are the only rooms you are going to be able to find. The cheapest room from Hotwire was more than $120 a night than the price I quoted @ St. Mark's Hotel (nearly double the price).

If I include all neighborhoods in NYC, the cheapest was $200 a night in Central Park West neighborhood, if I had to guess you would be staying north of Central Park - hardly centrally located and still $60 more a night - that price probably does not include taxes and nyc hotel fees.

you might consider something in Long Island City, quick access to the City via subway and you can probably get something decent for under $200.

So it looks like de Blasio against Lhota. Does Lhota have any chance? Given how liberal de Basio is (even for NYC) it might be interesting. Don't think I really want de Blasio for a next mayor as the law order leadership the last two decades has worked out pretty well.

CASH ONLY

Like I said you are out of touch with how much hotels cost in NYC. I chose the 3 neighborhoods furthest south in NYC:

http://i.imgur.com/nczavWQ.png

Even if you are able to get a cheaper rate in midtown or uptown you don't know the hotel you are getting, you don't know if you have a shared bathroom or dorm room unless it specifies, typically to get a rate at $150 (all-in) or less those are the only rooms you are going to be able to find. The cheapest room from Hotwire was more than $120 a night than the price I quoted @ St. Mark's Hotel (nearly double the price).

If I include all neighborhoods in NYC, the cheapest was $200 a night in Central Park West neighborhood, if I had to guess you would be staying north of Central Park - hardly centrally located and still $60 more a night - that price probably does not include taxes and nyc hotel fees.
lol...i only travel there a few months a year so I don't know. You da man.

So it looks like de Blasio against Lhota. Does Lhota have any chance? Given how liberal de Basio is (even for NYC) it might be interesting. Don't think I really want de Blasio for a next mayor as the law order leadership the last two decades has worked out pretty well.
It might be time for some balance and I am not overly concerned about crime. While the policing policies and at times overly hard handed approach obviously played a huge role over the last 20 years, there is a lot more to NYCs safety than just policing. The economy, the resurgance of urban areas that brought with it more vibrancy and more dollars, the end of the crack era and the city's far better economic stading in contrast to the disaster of the late 70s played significant roles.

That said, policing is also critically important but I wouldn't expect to see a spike and if god forbid that would happen it would necessitate a quick change of course and/ or a one term mayor. This won't become Chicago overnight

Just for the record, I checked out Hotwire to see if Jo Jo was knowledgeable or just a blabbering blubber of bullsh....it seems like it's the latter. Did a simple Hotwire search for Hot Rate hotels and about 50 hotels pop up in desirable locations throughout NYC (ranging from $110-150). My friend did this and got a great Holiday Inn type spot on the LES for $150. I suggest you do the same, smart guy! :bowtie:

Just for the record, I checked out Hotwire to see if Jo Jo was knowledgeable or just a blabbering blubber of bullsh....it seems like it's the latter. Did a simple Hotwire search for Hot Rate hotels and about 50 hotels pop up in desirable locations throughout NYC (ranging from $110-150). My friend did this and got a great Holiday Inn type spot on the LES for $150. I suggest you do the same, smart guy! :bowtie:
:no:

Search my dates - October 19-23, you'll find nothing in Manhattan, over 1* for less than $200

:no:

Search my dates - October 19-23, you'll find nothing in Manhattan, over 1* for less than $200
We're not talking specific dates and referring to past FBG use and my bookings on Hotwire for great prices, that's all. Craigslist and AirBNB spots are great to save $ and get a cool apt on the cheap to get the NYC feel. Just watch out for scams and get folks with good reviews, etc.

Wow you are obtuse, how many different date ranges did you have to search for to get comparable rates? I hope you enjoy your Monday through Wednesday visit. I searched Thursday night through Saturday, I even left off the expensive Saturday night for you. But go ahead and keep giving bad advice about what New York was like 10 years ago thinking you have a clue how much a weekend in New York at a national chain costs in 2013 after New York City hotel taxes ($3.50 per night plus 14.375% of room rental charges).

It might be time for some balance and I am not overly concerned about crime. While the policing policies and at times overly hard handed approach obviously played a huge role over the last 20 years, there is a lot more to NYCs safety than just policing. The economy, the resurgance of urban areas that brought with it more vibrancy and more dollars, the end of the crack era and the city's far better economic stading in contrast to the disaster of the late 70s played significant roles.

That said, policing is also critically important but I wouldn't expect to see a spike and if god forbid that would happen it would necessitate a quick change of course and/ or a one term mayor. This won't become Chicago overnight
All very true and I agree with De Blasio on some issues (stop and frisk) but my biggest concern is upcoming union negotiations where the unions are demanding over 7 billion in back pay. He has very close ties to the Unions and taxes are already very high in the city.

I don't feel like he will be another Dinkins like disaster but some of his statements make me nervous. I think my preferred candidate would have been Quinn who was really a vote for more of the same.

All very true and I agree with De Blasio on some issues (stop and frisk) but my biggest concern is upcoming union negotiations where the unions are demanding over 7 billion in back pay. He has very close ties to the Unions and taxes are already very high in the city.

I don't feel like he will be another Dinkins like disaster but some of his statements make me nervous. I think my preferred candidate would have been Quinn who was really a vote for more of the same.
No doubt there are some stark contrasts between the two. Should be interesting. Go Joe!

Wow you are obtuse, how many different date ranges did you have to search for to get comparable rates? I hope you enjoy your Monday through Wednesday visit. I searched Thursday night through Saturday, I even left off the expensive Saturday night for you. But go ahead and keep giving bad advice about what New York was like 10 years ago thinking you have a clue how much a weekend in New York at a national chain costs in 2013 after New York City hotel taxes ($3.50 per night plus 14.375% of room rental charges).
get yourself a decent pair of $500 jeans and get back to me....also, stop being racist. It's not cool #thumbdown

According to a 2013 study by the Economic Policy Institute, the average family of four needs $93K to survive modestly in New York, the biggest expenses being housing, childcare and healthcare. (That $93K does not allow for any vacations, eating out or savings, by the way.) It’s the most expensive place to live in the United States.
Priced out of New York

According to a 2013 study by the Economic Policy Institute, the average family of four needs $93K to survive modestly in New York, the biggest expenses being housing, childcare and healthcare. (That $93K does not allow for any vacations, eating out or savings, by the way.) It’s the most expensive place to live in the United States.
Priced out of New York
That article is basically my life (minus the being born here part). Hell- some of our best friends moved to Portland and are echoing everything written there.

But 93k?

Ok... so the average- AVERAGE- 3 Bedroom (family of 4) in Manhattan was over 5k a few years' back (can only imagine what it is now). To rent here now you have to show tax returns and pay stubs that show you make 40x your rent... so earnings well over 200k just to rent a 3br. An average 3b... not a "great" 3BR.That 40x thing has turned the rental market for 2 and 3 bedrooms into the playground of the 20-somethings who come in with 3 or 4 of them making whatever and using their still wage-earning parents as guarantors and taken it right out of the hands of people I think of as middle-class... like me. I've been seeing this over and over at every apartment I"ve looked at over the last few years.

93k would mean you'd qualify for an apartment that costs 2,300... pretty much a studio or 1br. Have fun being a family of 4 in that. As a renter with a family of 4 who sadly does not make over 200k, I will be forced to leave the city I've lived in for 25 years when my landlords decide to sell..

Priced out of New York
That article is basically my life (minus the being born here part). Hell- some of our best friends moved to Portland and are echoing everything written there.But 93k?

Ok... so the average- AVERAGE- 3 Bedroom (family of 4) in Manhattan was over 5k a few years' back (can only imagine what it is now). To rent here now you have to show tax returns and pay stubs that show you make 40x your rent... so earnings well over 200k just to rent a 3br. An average 3b... not a "great" 3BR.That 40x thing has turned the rental market for 2 and 3 bedrooms into the playground of the 20-somethings who come in with 3 or 4 of them making whatever and using their still wage-earning parents as guarantors and taken it right out of the hands of people I think of as middle-class... like me. I've been seeing this over and over at every apartment I"ve looked at over the last few years.

93k would mean you'd qualify for an apartment that costs 2,300... pretty much a studio or 1br. Have fun being a family of 4 in that. As a renter with a family of 4 who sadly does not make over 200k, I will be forced to leave the city I've lived in for 25 years when my landlords decide to sell..
Yeah those numbers do seem ridiculously low for a family for Manhattan, I believe they mean all 5 boroughs and possibly Hudson County (NJ), I can't find the exact article.

http://www.epi.org/resources/budget/

put in 2 parents, 2 children and NY, NY

(Monthly)

Housing shows $1474 - yeah right...

Priced out of New York
That article is basically my life (minus the being born here part). Hell- some of our best friends moved to Portland and are echoing everything written there.But 93k?

Yeah those numbers do seem ridiculously low for a family for Manhattan, I believe they mean all 5 boroughs and possibly Hudson County (NJ), I can't find the exact article.

http://www.epi.org/resources/budget/

put in 2 parents, 2 children and NY, NY

(Monthly)

Housing shows $1474 - yeah right...
They are talking about 5 boroughs as the articile references Prospect Lefferts Gardens, which has really improved the last few years (doubt you are hearing gunshots) but is clearly not a prime area and definately the wrong borough to be manhattan only.

Users who are viewing this thread