What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (4 Viewers)

Holy hell... considering I'm in the business, the design and now construction of a ####load of mongo residential skyscrapers has surprised the crap out of me. There are 3 right on or just South of Central Park- which should sufficiently block out the sky and sun for a lot of the lower part of the park- ####ers. My old boss is doing the tallest one at 432 Park Ave- 1,400 ft tall!
Read about that one... Price per foot on higher floors is supposedly over $4,000 per - Only the super elite rich will be buying there.
What's crazy is all of these buildings are going for that $/sf... who the #### are all these people? I know a lot of Chinese and Russians are buying up properties as investments... but how many of them are there that can support this kind of development?

And what I'[ve always been saying- is there going to be infrastructure to support this? Parking, schools, stores, FD and PD, etc, etc.

Bloomberg's ultimate legacy- bikelanes, no smoking, and rich people literally ####ting all over the city.

Holy hell... considering I'm in the business, the design and now construction of a ####load of mongo residential skyscrapers has surprised the crap out of me. There are 3 right on or just South of Central Park- which should sufficiently block out the sky and sun for a lot of the lower part of the park- ####ers. My old boss is doing the tallest one at 432 Park Ave- 1,400 ft tall!
Read about that one... Price per foot on higher floors is supposedly over $4,000 per - Only the super elite rich will be buying there.
What's crazy is all of these buildings are going for that $/sf... who the #### are all these people? I know a lot of Chinese and Russians are buying up properties as investments... but how many of them are there that can support this kind of development?

And what I'[ve always been saying- is there going to be infrastructure to support this? Parking, schools, stores, FD and PD, etc, etc.

Bloomberg's ultimate legacy- bikelanes, no smoking, and rich people literally ####ting all over the city.
Not to mention all of the development over on the West Side by Javits. Hudson Yards is the country's largest real estate development project at $20 billion.

http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/the-story/master-plan

Other luxury buildings springing up all over the place over there also like the AVA Highline.

Crazy stuff.

Not to mention all of the development over on the West Side by Javits. Hudson Yards is the country's largest real estate development project at $20 billion.

http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/the-story/master-plan

Other luxury buildings springing up all over the place over there also like the AVA Highline.

Crazy stuff.
New York wasn't hit nearly as hard as everywhere else during the housing crisis and has risen steadily since... One would think that prices will eventually crash, but I'm starting to doubt that will ever happen.

I disagree with that, FC. We got hammered in 07/8... not as many foreclosures since the people buying here those days tended to have money anyways (and there were foreclosures), but sooooo many projects of all sizes and scales stalled or failed. And many architects were out of work :sup:

But yeah- agree that it's been on a pretty sharp rise, especially since 2010.

I disagree with that, FC. We got hammered in 07/8... not as many foreclosures since the people buying here those days tended to have money anyways (and there were foreclosures), but sooooo many projects of all sizes and scales stalled or failed. And many architects were out of work :sup:

I live in Brooklyn Heights and the prices right now completely trump the prices in 07/08.

check historical prices on streeteasy.com

I live in Brooklyn Heights and the prices right now completely trump the prices in 07/08.

I was responding to this:

"New York wasn't hit nearly as hard as everywhere else during the housing crisis"

not that it's rebounded in a big way.

"New York wasn't hit nearly as hard as everywhere else during the housing crisis"

NY (specifically NYC) wasn't hit nearly as hard as places such as Arizona, California, Florida and Nevada

NY (specifically NYC) wasn't hit nearly as hard as places such as Arizona, California, Florida and Nevada
Definately true and Brooklyn was basically not hit at all.

Not hit at all?

:shrug:

ok.

I do know that up and down Manhattan, construction sites- ranging from apt renovations to new towers- stopped dead in their tracks while plans for new projects died before they even started construction.

But I'm glad to hear everything was hunky-dory in Brooklyn.

Not hit at all?

ok.

I do know that up and down Manhattan, construction sites- ranging from apt renovations to new towers- stopped dead in their tracks while plans for new projects died before they even started construction.

That's because credit availability dried up, which affects ongoing construction projects and is much different than slashed housing prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not hit at all?

ok.

That's because credit availability dried up, which affects ongoing construction projects and is much different than slashed housing prices.
Ok- good point.

I'm still of the mind that NYC got hit hard- but I do get the very good distinction. And yes- RE prices may have dipped here, but they didn't tank.

Not hit at all?

ok.

Brooklyn basically went flat/slightly down for two years. By 2010 prices were above 2007 prices so I would call it a non-event for real estate prices in brooklyn.

EF - The demand in the City (Manhattan that is) had been strong throughout the recession. Urban cores in general did better than their suburban counterparts, NY being no exception. That said, the reduction of certain sectors of the Finance Industry to rubble probably did more to stop the development activity than a lack of market as financing become very hard to come by, and many who were financing Skyscrapers in NY were getting killed in the general mortgage disaster and other failed loans.

http://streeteasy.com/nyc/building/j-condominium#tab_building_detail=2

First off, anyone who searchs for condos or housing in NYC that doesn't use Streeteasy is short changing themselves.

We looked at condos in this building, 100 Jay Street... It's the big awesome building in DUMBO between the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Bridge. In 2007 a 3BR there was $1.1M, in 2011 it was $1.45, & one just closed last month for $1.85, which was over asking price.

In my neighborhood, pricing might have been slightly stagnant for a short period, but the prices never fell... The construction slowed, but pricing not so much. The pricing has become ####### ridiculous! If I want a 3BR condo, prices are nearing $2M, it's getting ####### insane. I'm struggling to understand how so many people are able to afford these prices. To top it off, the majority of private schools in this neighborhood are $30-$40k a year.

I've been riding this wave so trust me I get what you guys are piling on about prices, but GB Flop didn't just imagine 300 projects getting stopped cold in the post-Lehman year. That did happen.

I've been riding this wave so trust me I get what you guys are piling on about prices, but GB Flop didn't just imagine 300 projects getting stopped cold in the post-Lehman year. That did happen.
The construction most def halted big time, not disputing that... But the prices didnt tank that bad.

Fwiw...the significant other bought a 2BR on the UWS in 2007 (pretty much the height). It may have gone down 10% from the peak (I say may since nothing really traded in our building). Now prices are about 25% above the 2007 level. Just insane prices for 2BRs up here.

Farther up in the development (gentrification) around 96th st, prices are 30-40% above the bubble peak.

Lots of people with lots of money

Ok- good point.

I'm still of the mind that NYC got hit hard- but I do get the very good distinction. And yes- RE prices may have dipped here, but they didn't tank.
I undertand the distinction between RE prices and the construction industry. I'm talking about the latter. But please keep telling me about real estate prices.

So we just moved to New York from Arizona. Currently staying on Eastern LI, in the Stony Brook area. Wife grew up here, it's nice, but it's too far from the city for our taste. Daughter is almost 4, she's in a private school that we like so far, but nothing that we're definitely tied to. My wife works in Melville, I work from home. We make around $200K annually and have around $100K to put down on a house. Any suggestions from New Yorkers on where to live LI/Queens/Brooklyn on that type of budget? Some of the RE prices in this thread are a bit daunting.

So we just moved to New York from Arizona. Currently staying on Eastern LI, in the Stony Brook area. Wife grew up here, it's nice, but it's too far from the city for our taste. Daughter is almost 4, she's in a private school that we like so far, but nothing that we're definitely tied to. My wife works in Melville, I work from home. We make around $200K annually and have around $100K to put down on a house. Any suggestions from New Yorkers on where to live LI/Queens/Brooklyn on that type of budget? Some of the RE prices in this thread are a bit daunting.
As far as Queens, maybe look into the Bayside/Whitestone area.

I live in Middle Village. Do a search for Juniper Valley Park. It's a great little pocket in Queens with easy access by Express Bus into the city. Walking distance for almost anything we need. We love it here. I used to work in Farmingdale and the commute wasn't too bad. Took about 35 minutes with no traffic. I can get into the city in 10 minutes by car or half hour by bus.

eta: the park is great for kids. 6 baseball fields, soccer field, hockey rink, running track, tennis courts, basketball courts, handball walls and multiple playgrounds.

What would your preferences be out here? With your wife in Melville then you can be a good number of places that would be no more than 30 min for her to commute but still have access to the City. Would you prefer a little more land or larger house, or "nicer" more expensive neighborhood? Assuming you are looking in the 500k range for a home, there are definitely some options, but you will have to sacrifice something. So, you can get a nice, small house with character in a nice neighborhood thats convenient with good schools, but if you prefer more land or more house then you will need to adjust expectations for location, schools etc.

Do you prefer that your daughter go to private school, as there are a lot of very good public options that would obviously cost you less.

Would likely be a number of options on the south shore, though I'm much more familiar with the North Shore. Some options in the Town of Huntington would be convenient for her work wise, and there is a good train line to NYC (though 50-60 min in, but it's direct and may have express options). School taxes are going to be a big issue as well hood to hood.

I live in Middle Village. Do a search for Juniper Valley Park. It's a great little pocket in Queens with easy access by Express Bus into the city. Walking distance for almost anything we need. We love it here. I used to work in Farmingdale and the commute wasn't too bad. Took about 35 minutes with no traffic. I can get into the city in 10 minutes by car or half hour by bus.

eta: the park is great for kids. 3 baseball fields, soccer field, hockey rink, running track and multiple playgrounds.
Bayside might be doable, but any further is could be a long trek to Melville in the AM.

eta: the park is great for kids. 3 baseball fields, soccer field, hockey rink, running track and multiple playgrounds.
Bayside might be doable, but any further is could be a long trek to Melville in the AM.
Probably about 45 minutes on a regular day. I don't know how people do it heading into the city every day.

What would your preferences be out here? With your wife in Melville then you can be a good number of places that would be no more than 30 min for her to commute but still have access to the City. Would you prefer a little more land or larger house, or "nicer" more expensive neighborhood? Assuming you are looking in the 500k range for a home, there are definitely some options, but you will have to sacrifice something. So, you can get a nice, small house with character in a nice neighborhood thats convenient with good schools, but if you prefer more land or more house then you will need to adjust expectations for location, schools etc.

Do you prefer that your daughter go to private school, as there are a lot of very good public options that would obviously cost you less.

Would likely be a number of options on the south shore, though I'm much more familiar with the North Shore. Some options in the Town of Huntington would be convenient for her work wise, and there is a good train line to NYC (though 50-60 min in, but it's direct and may have express options). School taxes are going to be a big issue as well hood to hood.
500K sounds about right. We're looking for a mix of house size, land, property taxes and school district. We'd keep our daughter in private school if we decide to sacrifice school district on that list for lower property taxes. Right now we're thinking:

school district

backyard for dog

house size

We like the north shore as well. Huntington would be really convenient. I would like to make a push for Queens. Lower property taxes, good schools, closer to Manhattan, although there are compromises there as well. She'd have the reverse commute going East to Melville.

I'll search on Juniper Valley Park. Had never heard of it from family folks, searches, etc. and that's why FBG is so valuable. Thank you for the responses, we're open at this point.

500K sounds about right. We're looking for a mix of house size, land, property taxes and school district. We'd keep our daughter in private school if we decide to sacrifice school district on that list for lower property taxes. Right now we're thinking:

school district

backyard for dog

house size

We like the north shore as well. Huntington would be really convenient. I would like to make a push for Queens. Lower property taxes, good schools, closer to Manhattan, although there are compromises there as well. She'd have the reverse commute going East to Melville.

I'll search on Juniper Valley Park. Had never heard of it from family folks, searches, etc. and that's why FBG is so valuable. Thank you for the responses, we're open at this point.
Welcome. Be sure to eat at Per Se. We'll probably all see you there.

Juniper Valley is the name of the park in the town of Middle Village. Just a reference point in the neighborhood. Lots of nice houses around it.

school district

backyard for dog

house size

I grew up on the North Shore and now live on the south shore...

Probably find some better value / lower taxes on the south shore and I can bike to the beach (8 miles)...

We're a 45 minute train ride to NYC (Merrick) and probably 20 minutes to Melville.... Towns like Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford and Massapequa would stretch the Train ride a litte more / closer to Melville... Mostly great School districts as well...

My favorite south shore town with an express train (55 min) is Babylon......

There are some real good areas in Dix Hills but, you have to watch out.... and then Commack is another good school district with better land...

There's no reason not to be in a good School district on LI - They say, that's why we pay these taxes....

school district

backyard for dog

house size

Probably find some better value / lower taxes on the south shore and I can bike to the beach (8 miles)...

We're a 45 minute train ride to NYC (Merrick) and probably 20 minutes to Melville.... Towns like Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford and Massapequa would stretch the Train ride a litte more / closer to Melville... Mostly great School districts as well...

There are some real good areas in Dix Hills but, you have to watch out.... and then Commack is another good school district with better land...

There's no reason not to be in a good School district on LI - They say, that's why we pay these taxes....
Good stuff here. I agree that all things being equal, you will find a bit more value on the South Shore... some will come down to preference, however (i.e. North Shore is hills, more foliage and rocky LI Sound Beaches, South Shore has more interaction between towns it seems, more flat but you have great access to some absolutely great Ocean beaches).

The Babylon express train is big, because it allows you to get a bit further from NYC but still have a decent commute.

As far as the North Shore, Huntington has some good options - some issues near Huntington Station with crime, though the perception is much worse than reality, and if you end up in the right school district, you have a number of options in the Town that may work.

I happen to live up in Glen Cove, which as good elementary schools but after that there are issues. However, if you want to send your daughter to private school, you get 10% and sometimes 20% more home for the same price because of the schools. I grew up in Sea Cliff, where I'd love to buy a home (renting now), but its small lots, small houses, high prices... im fine with that mix but not sure my wife is. Better schools than Glen Cove, though.

school district

backyard for dog

house size

Good stuff here. I agree that all things being equal, you will find a bit more value on the South Shore... some will come down to preference, however (i.e. North Shore is hills, more foliage and rocky LI Sound Beaches, South Shore has more interaction between towns it seems, more flat but you have great access to some absolutely great Ocean beaches).

The Babylon express train is big, because it allows you to get a bit further from NYC but still have a decent commute.

As far as the North Shore, Huntington has some good options - some issues near Huntington Station with crime, though the perception is much worse than reality, and if you end up in the right school district, you have a number of options in the Town that may work.

I happen to live up in Glen Cove, which as good elementary schools but after that there are issues. However, if you want to send your daughter to private school, you get 10% and sometimes 20% more home for the same price because of the schools. I grew up in Sea Cliff, where I'd love to buy a home (renting now), but its small lots, small houses, high prices... im fine with that mix but not sure my wife is. Better schools than Glen Cove, though.
I don't know much about the middle areas - But, Id' think Parts of Mellville and Plainview are good and I drove thru Old Bethpage and thought it was real nice...

I love Huntington, spent my party years in those bars but, for me now It's easier to get to NYC than to make that drive up New York Ave / 110...

My buddy is actually selling this house.... http://www.trulia.com/property/1043313232-727-Cynthia-Dr-East-Meadow-NY-11554

Solid info. Property taxes will just have to come with the territory, and since I gotta figure $12-$13K for her school anyway, I should adjust my perspective on property taxes a bit.

South shore is interesting as well, we haven't been looking there much. I'll search those towns, I like the idea of the express. My mom and dad grew up in Rockville Centre, and we have some relatives in Baldwin, but our current troupe is up north here close to Stony Brook so I've got to gain some broader local perspective that includes the city somewhat. My wife's family has a disdain for the city, generally, which I find funny.

school district

backyard for dog

house size

I don't know much about the middle areas - But, Id' think Parts of Mellville and Plainview are good and I drove thru Old Bethpage and thought it was real nice...

I love Huntington, spent my party years in those bars but, for me now It's easier to get to NYC than to make that drive up New York Ave / 110...

My buddy is actually selling this house.... http://www.trulia.com/property/1043313232-727-Cynthia-Dr-East-Meadow-NY-11554
Plainview/Old Bethpage might be some good options. I work in Plainview. No train right near by though. Farmingdale perhaps? Not sure of the schools though.

I really dig the Juniper Valley Park location. 7 miles from the Midtown Tunnel, which also means easy access to 495 East to see the family out here. Cool housing stock. Would probably search on school number first, then backyard (gotta have one for the dog), then inside comes third, probably, on square footage and condition. These are the sacrifices, if I'm catching how it goes.

school district

backyard for dog

house size

My wife works on 110. Tells me it's a nightmare.

500K sounds about right. We're looking for a mix of house size, land, property taxes and school district. We'd keep our daughter in private school if we decide to sacrifice school district on that list for lower property taxes. Right now we're thinking:school district

backyard for dog

house size

If you must go on 110 that can be tough at peek times but there are other options depending upon how east in the town you live. It's tough but can't imagine it taking close to what it is to get to the city

Grace Under Pressure said:
I really dig the Juniper Valley Park location. 7 miles from the Midtown Tunnel, which also means easy access to 495 East to see the family out here. Cool housing stock. Would probably search on school number first, then backyard (gotta have one for the dog), then inside comes third, probably, on square footage and condition. These are the sacrifices, if I'm catching how it goes.
If you ever get serious about the area, let me know. I can recommend a good Real Estate agent. Honestly though, if your wife works on 110 and you work from home, I don't see the benefit of being closer to the city. Unless you plan on spending a lot of your off time there. My wife works in the garment district and I'm in the city about 3 or 4 times a week. The proximity can't be beat for us.

Koya said:
Reaper said:
Koya said:
Reaper said:

500K sounds about right. We're looking for a mix of house size, land, property taxes and school district. We'd keep our daughter in private school if we decide to sacrifice school district on that list for lower property taxes. Right now we're thinking:school district

backyard for dog

house size

If you must go on 110 that can be tough at peek times but there are other options depending upon how east in the town you live. It's tough but can't imagine it taking close to what it is to get to the city
Well, having Beers on the Train is the clincher ;)

I live walking distance to the train... so walk down the block and start popping beers for a 45 minute train ride... Or Drive to Huntington which could be 40 minutes...

I'd rather see a show in Midtown than the Paramount....

Koya said:
Reaper said:
Koya said:
Reaper said:

backyard for dog

house size

Well, having Beers on the Train is the clincher ;)

I live walking distance to the train... so walk down the block and start popping beers for a 45 minute train ride... Or Drive to Huntington which could be 40 minutes...

I'd rather see a show in Midtown than the Paramount....
We need to grab a beer in the Village then... and honestly, depending on the show, the Paramount is pretty freakin' awesome. The Founders' Club alone makes it a great experience. My company is involved in the revitalization of Huntington Station. In fact, we are discussing Huntington as we speak

Otis is selling... Cut the agents out :thumbup:

Went to my daughter's school's annual "spring fling" fundraiser. One of the parents created something called Queen of the Night at the Paramount.... kind of a Cirque du soleil meets dinner theater immersive theater experience. There was booze. and contortionists. and private bathrooms with jugglers. and booze. and contortionists. and booze. 10k bid for this. 10k bid for that. booze. and that's all she wrote.

my brain hurts.

I don't remember writing the above, btw. I'm actually a little proud that it's not as incoherent as my brain was.

my brain hurts.

I don't remember writing the above, btw. I'm actually a little proud that it's not as incoherent as my brain was.
Hey Flop, you're a big futbol fan - anywhere in the city I can find MLS gear? Looking for all things Sounders. Stopped by the Adidas store in Noho to pick up three WC jerseys for my son.Also, I'll take a PM on best soccer books. Specific genre: how a middle aged absentee father can stay relevant in a teeanager's life. TIA

OMZGZZG.

Just stunningly awesome outside. I assume the birds are a chirping in the city today out and about. The other kind of birds are indeed chirping here on the Island. Gotta love that first really nice day of spring.

I need a rules clarification...

Jaywalker crossing at a red (or middle of the street) meets bicyclist going down the street the wrong way. Who has right of way here?

this is very important.

I need a rules clarification...

Jaywalker crossing at a red (or middle of the street) meets bicyclist going down the street the wrong way. Who has right of way here?

this is very important.
I would say the walker, but I hate cyclists... Seems if the biker is going the wrong way, he would automatically be wrong, but this is just a guess and I doubt there are more than 25 people in the entire city that could give you an official answer.

Users who are viewing this thread