What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (3 Viewers)

I couldn't imagine the chaos of 34th and 5th.
My brother and his wife came down on New Year's Day. One of the things they wanted to do was see the ESB. I told them there was no way I was going up, especially not on a day when tourists are rampant. They buy tickets from Skyride, because they'd get to skip 5 of the 6 lines, after I tell them to forget it once I see the horde. The wife and I go to Nelly Spillane's on 33rd. We split up around 1:30pm. At 5:30 they finally show up (I'm three sheets to the wind by this point). They didn't even make it to the top before sunset after paying 57 bucks each (regular tix are 26 I think). Scammers, all of them.

That being said, come March Madness I'll probably be at Nelly's or Rattle and Hum if people are looking to kill 90 minutes at lunch.

That sounds awful. A long time back I used to work in the Port Authority area, that was extremely unpleasant too.

Although it wasn't a tourist overload kind of unpleasant, more of a desolate area (except for homeless) where you can't walk 12 feet without being asked for a dollar.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds awful. A long time back I used to work in the Port Authority area, that was extremely unpleasant too.

Although it wasn't a tourist overload kind of unpleasant, more of a desolate area (except for homeless) where you can't walk 12 feet without being asked for a dollar.
yeah, that's a whole 'nother level of suck

My cousin from Germany is visiting for two weeks and asked me if i knew any value hotels. The place they stayed last time wants $3k for two weeks (which doesnt sound too expensive to me). OOther having them stay with us for two weeks (i own a small 2 br in Staten Island) what options do they have? Airbnb?

My cousin from Germany is visiting for two weeks and asked me if i knew any value hotels. The place they stayed last time wants $3k for two weeks (which doesnt sound too expensive to me). OOther having them stay with us for two weeks (i own a small 2 br in Staten Island) what options do they have? Airbnb?
They'll get much better value with Airbnb than they would with a value hotel, so I'd push for that option. And if they've been here before and it wasn't too long ago, they should be good enough getting around on their own, or relying on you for advice/tips, and not need to rely on a concierge type from a hotel.

PA is the pimple on the butthole of NYC
I've been in Hoboken for a few weeks now and while the commute is actually better than I expected, those 10 minutes I need to spend there are brutal. I spent a couple years doing the longer commute from central NJ after college which had me in PA pretty much every day, and it's rough to go back to it after 8+ years of avoiding it.

I've been in Hoboken for a few weeks now and while the commute is actually better than I expected, those 10 minutes I need to spend there are brutal. I spent a couple years doing the longer commute from central NJ after college which had me in PA pretty much every day, and it's rough to go back to it after 8+ years of avoiding it.
I see those ads for palaces in the Poconos for 220K and there's a small voice in my head that asks (how bad would taking a bus be).

I'm glad that voice is still small, because I could not imagine a 90 minute advertised commute wouldn't blow up to three hours at least twice a week.

I see those ads for palaces in the Poconos for 220K and there's a small voice in my head that asks (how bad would taking a bus be).

I'm glad that voice is still small, because I could not imagine a 90 minute advertised commute wouldn't blow up to three hours at least twice a week.
In all likelihood though, the issues that would turn that particular ride into a three hour ordeal would turn that hour trip from NJ into a two hour trip...Turnpike, tunnel, etc. Everything just sucks around here and it's only getting worse as the existing infrastructure gets stressed, more people are trying to get into the city than ever before, and there's no solution anywhere in sight. I started a new job back in September...they're pretty receptive to working from home for such a large company and I could see my time spent doing that increasing down the road.

In all likelihood though, the issues that would turn that particular ride into a three hour ordeal would turn that hour trip from NJ into a two hour trip...Turnpike, tunnel, etc. Everything just sucks around here and it's only getting worse as the existing infrastructure gets stressed, more people are trying to get into the city than ever before, and there's no solution anywhere in sight. I started a new job back in September...they're pretty receptive to working from home for such a large company and I could see my time spent doing that increasing down the road.
and then you'd STILL have those 10 soul-crushing minutes in and around PA every day

shadyridr said:
I'm actually in NY right now. Staying at the courtyard Marriott on 37th and 8th. It's $103 per night. Going to be tough to beat that.

Any ideas on some good dinner places? I don't really care about price, and I'd like to stay in Manhattan. We are going to do a steakhouse tonight but I'm here for another 4 nights and want to eat well.

shadyridr said:
I'm actually in NY right now. Staying at the courtyard Marriott on 37th and 8th. It's $103 per night. Going to be tough to beat that.
shadyridr said:
speaking of the PA area

Any ideas on some good dinner places? I don't really care about price, and I'd like to stay in Manhattan. We are going to do a steakhouse tonight but I'm here for another 4 nights and want to eat well.
what kind of food do you like?

Honestly, I like everything. We have steakhouses covered. Looking for maybe some good interesting ethnic food. Italian would be good too.

Honestly, I like everything. We have steakhouses covered. Looking for maybe some good interesting ethnic food. Italian would be good too.
I haven't been there in a long while, but even with that caveat my favorite Italian place is Da Umberto. It might be more straight ahead old-fashioned (not old-school, though), and maybe less *pizaz* than some of the newer places like Del Posto (which is awesome too). Both on the pricey side.

there's been a strange mexican food renaissance here over the last couple of years- from hipster taqueria places to more upscale spots. your location would tell me you don't need mexican food, just thought I'd report that. my friend has a place called el toro blanco on lower 6th Ave (Village).

I'm spacing out on the Dim Sum spot I used to go to when I worked near Chinatown... but it was fun. I'm sure somebody else can offer advise.

Beauty & Essex is down the street from me- very trendy (although moreso for tourists at this point) "new yorkey" vibe and consistently delicious food. reservations are tough (platinum am-ex concierge is your best bet if you have the card).

Bouley is one of, if not my favorite restaurants in the city- nouveau french and little more formal/pricey.

Ippudo for ramen, and any of the Momofuko places are great for japanesey.

lots of great, smaller spots in my hood (Lower East Side, East Village) if you want that kind of thing and a more local-style (albeit, still bridge and tunnel) night life.

Check out Patsy's for Pizza, there are 4, my favorite for pizza http://www.patsyspizzeria.us/contact.php

For a lunch sandwich, something off the beaten path - Num Pang http://numpangnyc.com/contact 5 locations, highly recommend.

ABC Kitchen is a good restaurant to check out for dinner, although getting a reservation may be tough. I tried it like 2 months ago and had a nice meal.

A Greek recommendation would be Periyali http://www.periyali.com/

Del Posto for Italian, but be prepared for a very expensive meal... Service and food are fantastic, but again, the cost is slightly ridiculous...

shadyridr said:
248/night in oct

shadyridr said:
248/night in oct
but how's the food? :hot:

shadyridr said:
248/night in oct
Just to give another plug for Airbnb...here is what that can get you.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2983169?checkin=10%2F08%2F2015&checkout=10%2F14%2F2015&guests=2&s=E8vk

A very nice one bedroom that looks like it's on 52nd between 8th and 9th. A few minutes walking to good subway lines. Can easily walk to Times Square if that's their thing, but far enough away from it where it's not too crazy. Comes out to $235/night for a random October week (used both Friday and Saturday for conservative estimate) and that includes the airbnb fee and cleaning fees (not all people charge this). If that $248/night is just the room rate, they'd be looking at $300/night after tax. And if that does include tax, you can find places much cheaper also.

fantasycurse42 said:
kutta said:
Check out Patsy's for Pizza, there are 4, my favorite for pizza http://www.patsyspizzeria.us/contact.php

For a lunch sandwich, something off the beaten path - Num Pang http://numpangnyc.com/contact 5 locations, highly recommend.

ABC Kitchen is a good restaurant to check out for dinner, although getting a reservation may be tough. I tried it like 2 months ago and had a nice meal.

A Greek recommendation would be Periyali http://www.periyali.com/

Del Posto for Italian, but be prepared for a very expensive meal... Service and food are fantastic, but again, the cost is slightly ridiculous...
I've done Patsy's a couple times on previous trips. Agree - really good. Will look into ABC. Thanks for the tip.

El Floppo said:
kutta said:
I haven't been there in a long while, but even with that caveat my favorite Italian place is Da Umberto. It might be more straight ahead old-fashioned (not old-school, though), and maybe less *pizaz* than some of the newer places like Del Posto (which is awesome too). Both on the pricey side.there's been a strange mexican food renaissance here over the last couple of years- from hipster taqueria places to more upscale spots. your location would tell me you don't need mexican food, just thought I'd report that. my friend has a place called el toro blanco on lower 6th Ave (Village).

I'm spacing out on the Dim Sum spot I used to go to when I worked near Chinatown... but it was fun. I'm sure somebody else can offer advise.

Beauty & Essex is down the street from me- very trendy (although moreso for tourists at this point) "new yorkey" vibe and consistently delicious food. reservations are tough (platinum am-ex concierge is your best bet if you have the card).

Bouley is one of, if not my favorite restaurants in the city- nouveau french and little more formal/pricey.

lots of great, smaller spots in my hood (Lower East Side, East Village) if you want that kind of thing and a more local-style (albeit, still bridge and tunnel) night life.
Awesome stuff! Thanks. The wives get here Thursday so I think we'll try Bouley then. I'll report back.

El Floppo said:
kutta said:
I haven't been there in a long while, but even with that caveat my favorite Italian place is Da Umberto. It might be more straight ahead old-fashioned (not old-school, though), and maybe less *pizaz* than some of the newer places like Del Posto (which is awesome too). Both on the pricey side.there's been a strange mexican food renaissance here over the last couple of years- from hipster taqueria places to more upscale spots. your location would tell me you don't need mexican food, just thought I'd report that. my friend has a place called el toro blanco on lower 6th Ave (Village).

Awesome stuff! Thanks. The wives get here Thursday so I think we'll try Bouley then. I'll report back.

El Floppo said:
kutta said:

I've found that visiting wives tend to love Beauty & Essex for being trendy/NYey (you walk through an old pawn shop to enter the restaurant) and in a night-spot neighborhood. Bouley is more refined, elegant in a quieter neighborhood (Tribeca) and another level of food than B&E. depends on what you and the wives want. no losing either way.

I don't get the Patsy's thing. :shrug: it's good and all, but no better than a bunch of places in my neighborhood.
Oh CMON!

They have the best crust in the world... Sausage and Onion pizza from Patsy's is my favorite.

I live about a dozen blocks from Lucali which is consistently rated as the best pizza in the world. I think Patsy's dominates them. Same with Grimaldis.

I don't get the Patsy's thing. :shrug: it's good and all, but no better than a bunch of places in my neighborhood.
Oh CMON!

They have the best crust in the world... Sausage and Onion pizza from Patsy's is my favorite.

I live about a dozen blocks from Lucali which is consistently rated as the best pizza in the world. I think Patsy's dominates them. Same with Grimaldis.
like I said... :shrug:

never left that place thinking OMFG or words like "best" or "dominate". but it's definitely good.

What is your number 1?

Besides Patsy's I'd actually rank two places outside of Manhattan as must eats...

Totonno's in Coney Island and Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurst.

I like Patsy's crust but think their cheese is subpar. A little salty for me, and I don't usually mind salt.

Well tonight didnt quite go as planned. Went to Flatiron, a bourbon bar in the flatiron district. Started at about 4:00 pm and ended at 8:00 pm. Drank a LOT of bourbon. Really cool place. Walk back to the hotel and hit White Castle on the way back to the hotel. The best laid plans...

Well tonight didnt quite go as planned. Went to Flatiron, a bourbon bar in the flatiron district. Started at about 4:00 pm and ended at 8:00 pm. Drank a LOT of bourbon. Really cool place. Walk back to the hotel and hit White Castle on the way back to the hotel. The best laid plans...
The Flatiron Room?

hmmm, looks interesting http://www.theflatironroom.com/
Not to be confused with the Flatiron Lounge

Was a great date spot for me but can be slow when busy (and crowded)

Wife and I went in a couple Sat ago. Stayed at the SoHo Grand ($162, tipped a 20 and got a corner room with a perfect view of the ESB and open space looking west).

Wife went to spend my hard earned money at Bloomingdales, so I was waiting for her at Broome St. Bar. Later that night we were going to a friend's BDay bash out in some bars. This was about 3:30 or so.

Except I ended up meeting some Sheik (not of the Iron variety) and his money manager (pain in the ### self absorbed guy, but the guy who actually HAD the $1.5B net worth was pretty cool, even with limited english). Got the manager's biz card and it's made out of silver. Im not kidding.

Anyhoo, Sheik starts throwing hundies on the bar and we are doing rounds and shots (and a hundie alone will get you a long way at Broome, mind you).

Wife gets me Ravens up 14-0, must have been like 5, and I was absolutely destroyed. Ended up barely making it through the game (f'n cheating pats) and just passing out after eating steak and dessert room service. Woke up around midnight and then spent the next few hours with said wifey at the bar (great bartenders, and 15 buck drinks are what they are, its trendy manhattan, but we got oodles of buy backs and shots).

NY is one of the very few places that can happen. Maybe the only one of this variety in the country. Got a lot of #### for missing my friends bday but hey, the sheiks buying.

The Flatiron Room?

Yep. That's the place. Over 1000 whiskeys. Really dug it there, and will add it to the NY rotation.

The Flatiron Room?

Yep. That's the place. Over 1000 whiskeys. Really dug it there, and will add it to the NY rotation.
I must go there.... soon. Maybe Saturday.

Lets share rotations.... Been spending a lot of time hanging in that area. Need some cool places - Live music a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread