Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Limp Ditka

I Thought It Was Jackie Robinson [i]Day[/i]

37 posts in this topic

I'm watching the Phillies / Astros game and everyone is wearing #42.

This is getting silly. Should we expect 60 days of this since it's the 60th anniversary?

I'm watching the Phillies / Astros game and everyone is wearing #42.This is getting silly. Should we expect 60 days of this since it's the 60th anniversary?

About a half dozen midatlantic and northeast games were rained out on the original date so those teams will be making up that event.

It's happening again.

This is dumb. It should be one day. Not everyone first home game since April 15.

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.

have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back.

:scared::cry:

nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back.

Sucks that the guy who opened doors for countless minorities, and who endured filthy, incomprehensible insults and daily death threats, had to be so inconvenient as to ruin your experience of watching major league baseball on your HDTV.:kicksrock:

nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back.

Sucks that the guy who opened doors for countless minorities, and who endured filthy, incomprehensible insults and daily death threats, had to be so inconvenient as to ruin your experience of watching major league baseball on your HDTV.

:kicksrock:

he wasn't the only one.

Sucks that the guy who opened doors for countless minorities, and who endured filthy, incomprehensible insults and daily death threats, had to be so inconvenient as to ruin your experience of watching major league baseball on your HDTV.

he wasn't the only one.
Does this mean we're going to have Milton Bradley day in 50 years?

he wasn't the only one.
Would we all have to do something stupid as a tribute?

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :goodposting::excited:

lmao at hating jackie robinson day

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :thumbup::wall:

the announcer backed me up in the 9th inning of the game. cubs sent a pinch hitter to the on-deck circle and announcer says, 'well, they're all wearing 42, so can't really tell who it is.'oh, and let me change my original statement: i don't hate the day, i just hate the fact that they all wear 42. why not all wear brooklyn dodgers uniforms? Edited by bweiser

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :thumbup::wall:

the announcer backed me up in the 9th inning of the game. cubs sent a pinch hitter to the on-deck circle and announcer says, 'well, they're all wearing 42, so can't really tell who it is.'oh, and let me change my original statement: i don't hate the day, i just hate the fact that they all wear 42. why not all wear brooklyn dodgers uniforms?
its a slight inconvenience one game out of 162 for a great person that transcended generations. dont see the hate here. dont get spreading it out over different days but.

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :wall: :wall:

No kidding. Hard to get more petty than this. 42

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :wall: :wall:

the announcer backed me up in the 9th inning of the game. cubs sent a pinch hitter to the on-deck circle and announcer says, 'well, they're all wearing 42, so can't really tell who it is.'oh, and let me change my original statement: i don't hate the day, i just hate the fact that they all wear 42. why not all wear brooklyn dodgers uniforms?
All you have to do is open up a gametracker, if it's really bothering you not knowing who's out there. Edited by cobalt_27

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :rant::loco:

No way they were serious. I am pretty sure most baseball announcers know almost every player in the league and could tell them apart without numbers. Just a bad joke.

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :lmao: :lmao:

No way they were serious. I am pretty sure most baseball announcers know almost every player in the league and could tell them apart without numbers. Just a bad joke.
nope, he said, 'i think that's (i forget who) in the ondeck circle.' a few seconds later, it was, 'oh, sorry, its kosuke ####udome.'

I don't get anyone's problem with this. You should know your own team and if you watch more baseball than that you shouldn't have much problem identifying most players. The teams that missed the chance to wear 42 did so when they got the chance. My only issue is that a player like Larry Doby isn't treated the same way despite breaking the barrier in the same year in the other league. At least the American League games should honor Doby with his number on the same day or every team should honor the first AA in their franchise history if their team reaches back that far.

IMO, I don't think the segregation should ever be forgotten and honoring Robinson keeps those memories alive. Especially since the Dodgers did so before most of the nation was ready to have it happen.

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :shrug::banned:

nope, he said, 'i think that's (i forget who) in the ondeck circle.' a few seconds later, it was, 'oh, sorry, its kosuke ####udome.'
Major problems with that announcer if he couldn't identify Kosuke.

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :fishing::thumbup:

So youre telling me we're supposed to believe he couldnt tell the one Japanese guy apart from the rest of the Cubs because he was #42?

Happy Jackie Robinson Fortnight

Jackie's probably rolling over in his grave watching a piece of garbage like A Rod wearing his number in his honor.

he wasn't the only one.
Mandatory earplugs instead of a 42 for the home team?

I think it would not kill major baseball to at least put the name of the back of the jersey.

two years later, i stand by my assessment: it's nice to honor jackie robinson, but find another way.

two years later, i stand by my assessment: it's nice to honor jackie robinson, but find another way.

I just think MLB doesn't realize how much you are opposed to this.

Jackie's probably rolling over in his grave watching a piece of garbage like A Rod wearing his number in his honor.

:goodposting:

My 42s beat your 42s yesterday.

This thing's going to last as long as Hanukkah, right?

why not all wear brooklyn dodgers uniforms?

Then how do we know which team is batting and which team is in the field? How will know who won?!?!?!?!

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :fishing::thumbup:

the announcer backed me up in the 9th inning of the game. cubs sent a pinch hitter to the on-deck circle and announcer says, 'well, they're all wearing 42, so can't really tell who it is.' oh, and let me change my original statement: i don't hate the day, i just hate the fact that they all wear 42. why not all wear brooklyn dodgers uniforms?
So youre telling me we're supposed to believe he couldnt tell the one Japanese guy apart from the rest of the Cubs because he was #42?

Reading this thread, I was sort of struck by that also. Wait, what? :lol:

AROD really exemplifies everything Jackie stood for.

Checking Fukudome on the new board