What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP 2007 NFL Draft Thread (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
The fun begins soon. There aren't as many obvious stud talents in this group as in 2006. But plenty of these guys will be upgrades at favorable roles for IDP production.

For those of you who want to make this a one-stop-shopping thread of sorts, here are some links for today's FBG/NFLDraftGuys discussion and a couple of tandem threads for dynasty leaguers.

NFLDraftGuys live blog from the draft

950 AM feed (Cecil Lammey with frequent spots with Bloom, etal) -- click on sidebar to listen live

Tick's IDP Opportunity in the Draft thread

NFLDraftGuys rankings pages

We were onto late round specials like Mark Anderson, Omar Gaither and Freddy Keiaho in this thread last year. Hopefully, we'll be onto a few other gems this weekend.

I'm planning to just sort of blog through this thread like last year, listing each pick quickly then coming back and adding a short blurb of speculation. Sounds like there's more interest than last year when there were just a couple of us so hopefully there'll be plenty of talk.

:D

Couldn't have asked for more:

1.) Well Placed,

2.) Well Planned,

3.) Well Manned.

Well Done.

:banned:

:ph34r:

Unfortunately, unless there's a shocker and Gaines Adams busts the rumor mill, we'll be waiting a bit to open our presents.

Gaines Adams to Tampa????

Maybe they work out something with Detroit

Last edited by a moderator:
1.04 -- GAINES ADAMS -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Undersized edge rusher with questionable run support ability. Really not an elite player but the scarcity of 4-3 edge rushers continues to drive the value of players like Adams through the roof. Tampa-2 defense is a good fit for Adams. Long term IDP value in standard leagues dependent on how well he supports the run. Likely steps right into the starting lineup at RDE with Simeon Rice's health still in question. And probably means Kevin Carter stays at tackle unless Greg Spires is released.

Or he gets traded to Detroit later today in a blockbuster swap for Calvin Johnson. Same scheme, same outlook there.

With Peterson sliding, I think its less likely Denver trades with Houston to move up for Willis.

Houston will prolly jump on Peterson ... Atlanta may take Peterson if Landry is gone

1.04 -- GAINES ADAMS -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Undersized edge rusher with questionable run support ability. Really not an elite player but the scarcity of 4-3 edge rushers continues to drive the value of players like Adams through the roof. Tampa-2 defense is a good fit for Adams. Long term IDP value in standard leagues dependent on how well he supports the run. Likely steps right into the starting lineup at RDE with Simeon Rice's health still in question. And probably means Kevin Carter stays at tackle unless Greg Spires is released.

Or he gets traded to Detroit later today in a blockbuster swap for Calvin Johnson. Same scheme, same outlook there.
It is a good fit, the Bucs have been producing solid ff starters for a long time now.

1.06 -- LARON LANDRY -- Washington Redskins

Interesting.

Landry and Sean Taylor are pretty similar players. Both stellar two-way players and extremely physical over the middle. The value of both will depend on which spends more time in the box. This is a good fit for Landry, though, as the FS spot in Atlanta would have had questionable IDP value. Both safety spots have had good value in Washington. Landry will be a real nice player in big play IDP leagues.

I imagine both will spend time in the box in the Skins scheme. Interested in Redman's take and will post comments from Gregg Williams when we get them.

WOW! Landry and Taylor, what a combo!!!!! :eek:

NFC East receivers better button up the chin strap crossing the middle vs the Skins

So who's the SS in WAS ?
My early opinion would be Landry, but the safeties could be and have been used interchangeably in this scheme and Landry is so solid in coverage, that there may not be a true SS/FS alignment here.

1.08 -- JAMAAL ANDERSON -- Atlanta Falcons

Need pick here. Chauncey Davis is a poor fit on the strongside and the rotation behind him aren't much better. The Falcons had to get an end at some point. Anderson is a former WR turned athletic 280 pound end. Although he's not an explosive edge guy, he's got a good array of pass rush moves and will continue to improve in run defense. Could be a stud LDE like a Michael Strahan or Charles Grant if he continues to develop his all-around skills.

Need pick here. Chauncey Davis is a poor fit on the strongside and the rotation behind him aren't much better. The Falcons had to get an end at some point. Anderson is a former WR turned athletic 280 pound end. Although he's not an explosive edge guy, he's got a good array of pass rush moves and will continue to improve in run defense. Could be a stud LDE like a Michael Strahan or Charles Grant if he continues to develop his all-around skills.
Should have a positive impact on Abraham wouldnt you say ?

So who's the SS in WAS ?
My early opinion would be Landry, but the safeties could be and have been used interchangeably in this scheme and Landry is so solid in coverage, that there may not be a true SS/FS alignment here.
Well, I'm not very enthusiastic about this pick, but I'll guarantee you that Landry will play the traditional SS role far more than Taylor. Landry's weakness is his hands - he drops a lot of picks (not to be confused with being generally weak in coverage, which he's not). Taylor's hands are superb. Taylor figures to play the deep centerfield role more often, and I'd figure that Landry will far more often play shallower or be blitzing or at least up in run support. I would figure, if I had to guess now, that Landry will outproduce Taylor in most systems because he'll end up with more tackles and sacks. One thing's for sure though: with that defensive line both of those guys had better be ready to play.

Meh. Won't hurt, but I think the only positive impact on Abraham at this point would be a Steve Austin like lower body transplant complete with a lifetime warranty on all tendons and muscles.

Meh. Won't hurt, but I think the only positive impact on Abraham at this point would be a Steve Austin like lower body transplant complete with a lifetime warranty on all tendons and muscles.
Thought you liked to project everyone as being healthy all year :goodposting:

Thought you liked to project everyone as being healthy all year :excited:
:excited: Only in April, my friend, only in April.

So who's the SS in WAS ?
Well, I'm not very enthusiastic about this pick, but I'll guarantee you that Landry will play the traditional SS role far more than Taylor. Landry's weakness is his hands - he drops a lot of picks (not to be confused with being generally weak in coverage, which he's not). Taylor's hands are superb. Taylor figures to play the deep centerfield role more often, and I'd figure that Landry will far more often play shallower or be blitzing or at least up in run support. I would figure, if I had to guess now, that Landry will outproduce Taylor in most systems because he'll end up with more tackles and sacks. One thing's for sure though: with that defensive line both of those guys had better be ready to play.
These would be my thoughts as well, although I'm continually underprojecting the production of Taylor.First insider thoughts from the Washington beat writer Jason LaCanfora -- nothing surprising here.

The Redskins believe he could play either safety position and be deployed deep in coverage, or close to the line of scrimmage to aid the pass rush.

So who's the SS in WAS ?
These would be my thoughts as well, although I'm continually underprojecting the production of Taylor.First insider thoughts from the Washington beat writer Jason LaCanfora -- nothing surprising here.

The Redskins believe he could play either safety position and be deployed deep in coverage, or close to the line of scrimmage to aid the pass rush.
Well, the lemonade I'm mixing right now as a 'Skins fan is that there are going to be a hell of a lot of alligator arms and crushing hits between the hash marks with Taylor and Landry back there. Todd Pinkston just filed his formal retirement papers. :mellow:

1.10 -- AMOBI OKOYE -- Houston Texans

Houston slowly filling holes on defense. Williams and Ryans last year. Okoye this year. If Okoye continues to fill out, there's no reason he can't become the next big IDP value at DT. Very explosive off the ball and can be a playmaker in both run defense and pass rush. But he's still young. Scouts get on him for getting too high at times and not handling double teams consistently. Still, there's all kinds of potential in DT specific leagues as he grows into the position.

No major impact on the Texan back seven.

SF should get Willis???
I've got him queued up and ready to post but Adam Carriker would be a very, very good 3-4 end and the Niners still need a NT to make the 3-4 effective. Sounds like Branch's value is dropping like a rock but...

Tough choice for the Niners, but its appears to be a win win situation

As a Crowell owner don't want to see Willis go to Buffalo

1.11 -- PATRICK WILLIS -- San Francisco 49ers

Lot of ramifications here. Don't believe the scuttle on Willis' coverage skills. He's more than capable of holding his own in coverage and is athletic enough to improve. But this isn't the best case scenario for Willis from an IDP standpoint. The 3-4 scheme is a bit of a concern -- there's not a stud NT in San Francisco -- but if he lines up at the playmaking, tackle friendly LILB spot there's still plenty of value to be had. It won't be as much as the MLB spot in Denver or Buffalo, though, at least not right away. And more bad news for Brandon Moore if Willis gets the LILB gig. He could hold some value if he stays inside (assuming he plays RILB and not LILB), but might get stuck back in that hybrid inside sometimes, outside sometimes, third down pass rusher role.

Depending on where he aligns and how soon the Niners address the NT position, there's room for somebody to jump ahead of Willis in the early rookie rankings.

ETA: This also should preserve the increased value Angelo Crowell looks to have in Buffalo at MLB. There are a couple ILB prospects left (i.e. Durant, Davis) who fit in a Tampa-2, but far more OLBs. Crowell should be safe. Thanks to lord_helmet for the reminder.

1.13 -- ADAM CARRIKER -- St. Louis Rams

Carriker is a complete defensive lineman and versatile enough to play either inside or outside. Can get to the quarterback from either position. Probably projects best to the three technique in this defense, but could push James Hall for playing time at the strong side end on running downs. Potential stud in DT specific leagues if the Rams play him there full time but probably has some value in all systems. If he does line up inside predominantly, it's the final nail in the coffin of Claude Wroten's value.

Be interesting to see how they plan to use him but he'll really help the run defense wherever he plays.

1.14 --DARRELLE REVIS -- New York Jets

All around corner with return skills. Good IDP potential with solid instincts, ball skills, and hands and is decent in run support. Would be more valuable if there was a better corner opposite him but should still get a small rookie corner bump. Would've been nice to see him in Pittsburgh, where the coming Cover-2 system (at some point) would have given him top ten IDP value at CB.

As crazy as this sounds, if Alan Branch keeps falling I'm wondering whether the 'Skins will package Shawn Springs and next year's #1 to jump back into the first day of this draft and nab him.

1.15 -- LAWRENCE TIMMONS -- Pittsburgh Steelers

Timmons probably isn't big enough to hold up at a 3-4 OLB spot long-term at only 230 despite his collegiate pass rush skills. On the other hand, Timmons is a stud in pursuit and very good in coverage. Reads like a very good transition player from a 3-4 to 4-3 Tampa-2 like scheme. Value isn't great in the predominantly 3-4 looks the Steelers will run in the near future, but this guy could be a very nice buy low target late this year or next off-season as an investment should the Steelers move toward Mike Tomlin's preferred Cover-2.

1.14 --DARRELLE REVIS -- New York Jets

All around corner with return skills. Good IDP potential with solid instincts, ball skills, and hands and is decent in run support. Would be more valuable if there was a better corner opposite him but should still get a small rookie corner bump. Would've been nice to see him in Pittsburgh, where the coming Cover-2 system (at some point) would have given him top ten IDP value at CB.
Justin Miller owners :wall:

1.16 -- JUSTIN HARRELL -- Green Bay Packers

Packers defense continues to get better. Lot of scouts thinking he could end up as the best DT in this class if fully healthy. Others are concerned that the torn bicep muscle is a big issue for an interior defensive lineman. Good news for both linebackers. Will be part of a very good tackle rotation and allow Corey Williams to spend more time at end with Cullen Jenkins. Won't provide enough pass rush to have IDP value in standard leagues and may only be a so-so option in DT specific leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread