What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: J. Russell thread (1 Viewer)

The selection of Russell leaves Johnson, the draft's top player on many team's boards, available when the Lions select second overall. The Lions are then expected to select a receiver in the first round for the fourth time in the past five years. Johnson could perhaps then be dealt to the Buccaneers, who reportedly have been in discussions with the Lions regarding the second pick

This is the right way to do it, IMO. Get the best player available, then wait to see if your second choice is there before you trade down.

Detroit and Cleveland will both regret passing on Quinn
I think it has been proven that you don't need an All-Pro talent at the Quarterback position in a Mike Martz offense. I will however agree with you on the Cleveland part.

This is the right way to do it, IMO. Get the best player available, then wait to see if your second choice is there before you trade down.
Absolutely. I see the Lions taking CJ (if he's there at 2), the Bucs taking Adams, then a trade of those 2 picks with the Bucs second rounder thrown in.

I think it has been proven that you don't need an All-Pro talent at the Quarterback position in a Mike Martz offense. I will however agree with you on the Cleveland part.
Who knows how long Martz will be there. I wouldnt plan on it being too long. Now Cleveland is the team I cant kill from taking what could be a dominant LT. Detroit taking Johnson is just horrible

Who knows how long Martz will be there. I wouldnt plan on it being too long. Now Cleveland is the team I cant kill from taking what could be a dominant LT. Detroit taking Johnson is just horrible
There is nothing horrible about taking the clear best player in the draft, in my opinion. You either try to get a big package for him, or you are "stuck" with him. It's a no lose situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN.com

It appears the Oakland Raiders have made their choice, and it's JaMarcus Russell. According to two sources, one with the Raiders and one close to Russell, the team called the LSU quarterback Friday to inform him he would be the No. 1 pick in the 2007 NFL draft.

Oakland quietly flew offensive coordinator Greg Knapp to New York on Thursday to meet with Russell and reassure him of his status as the team's preference over Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson and Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn.

As for Quinn, the Cleveland Browns, according to team sources, will, barring a trade, go with Wisconsin tackle Joe Thomas over the Ohio native with the third overall pick.

Quinn is also not expected to be selected by the Minnesota Vikings, who are committed to 2006 second-round pick Tavaris Jackson. Quinn is expected to be on the board at the ninth pick when the quarterback-needy Miami Dolphins are on the clock.
I'm more suprised about the Cleveland pick. Seems like lots of folks had Brady Quinn going there in mocks the last few days, but Gosselin and now Michael Smith have Joe Thomas.

Why is that horrible? Detroit gets the best player in the draft w/o even having to trade up for him. The Lions should do something right for ONCE and keep the pick.

I like hearing that the Lions might keep Johnson - past mistakes shouldn't be compounded by passing on the best player in the draft.

Cleveland is pimping Thomas to get the Cards to trade up and then they drop to 5 and take Peterson and get a few extra picks.

I can pretty much guess the Top 5 now:

1. Oakland- QB JaMarcus Russell

2. Detroit/Tampa- WR Calvin Johnson

3. Cleveland- LT Joe Thomas

4. Detroit/Tampa- DE Gaines Adams

5. Arizona- RB Adrian Peterson

However, if Arizona still has faith in Edge, Adrian Peterson could very well take a fall since there's no team until Buffalo at #12 that has an OBVIOUS need for a RB. Minnesota at #7 is a strong possibilty, as was Cleveland. If Buffalo decides not to trade up and lets AP fall to them, they will have finally got their franchise back and Rudnicki will probably giggle like a school girl. Ok, maybe not that last part....

I like Cleveland taking Thomas if true. They need a QB (because Frye is awful), but they've got to fix that O'line too. Peterson would be wasted there.

Why is that horrible? Detroit gets the best player in the draft w/o even having to trade up for him. The Lions should do something right for ONCE and keep the pick.
Seriously, what the hell is Calvin Johnson going to do for Detroit? Be realistic. So they have Roy/Calvin. They still have a bad o-line, they still cant run the ball consistently, and they still suck on D, and they still have garbage at QB.Enjoy

I like Cleveland taking Thomas if true. They need a QB (because Frye is awful), but they've got to fix that O'line too. Peterson would be wasted there.
:thumbup: Unless you're talking about a truly elite RB talent, a good o-line is far more capable of making an average RB look good than the other way around. Peterson might be elite, but it's very hard to tell even with a guy as promising as he appears, and the added benefit that bolstering the line has is that it also directly protects the QB.

A Texans fan is still holding out hope that they don't trade down and that Adrian Peterson falls to them.....and that they take him.

A Texans fan is still holding out hope that they don't trade down and that Adrian Peterson falls to them.....and that they take him.
Yeesh, if that happens, the Texans will have the following RB's on their roster:Adrian PetersonAhman GreenDomanick Davis/Whatever he's calling himselfWali LundySamkon GadoRon DayneI've heard of logjams at RB, but this would be insane. Considering Kubiak's a Mike Shanahan product, though, this shouldn't surprise me.

I can pretty much guess the Top 5 now:1. Oakland- QB JaMarcus Russell2. Detroit/Tampa- WR Calvin Johnson3. Cleveland- LT Joe Thomas4. Detroit/Tampa- DE Gaines Adams5. Arizona- RB Adrian PetersonHowever, if Arizona still has faith in Edge, Adrian Peterson could very well take a fall since there's no team until Buffalo at #12 that has an OBVIOUS need for a RB. Minnesota at #7 is a strong possibilty, as was Cleveland. If Buffalo decides not to trade up and lets AP fall to them, they will have finally got their franchise back and Rudnicki will probably giggle like a school girl. Ok, maybe not that last part....
I would not be surprised to see Arizona go with Levi Brown or Laron Landry at that spot. Reports were they liked Brown better than Thomas and if he has been drafted they can take the T they liked best without being 2nd guessed.

Yeesh, if that happens, the Texans will have the following RB's on their roster:Adrian PetersonAhman GreenDomanick Davis/Whatever he's calling himselfWali LundySamkon GadoRon DayneI've heard of logjams at RB, but this would be insane. Considering Kubiak's a Mike Shanahan product, though, this shouldn't surprise me.
Pretty sure Domanick is gone as is Dayne (did they resign him?)

I agree with you on the logjam.............but we have cut our ties with Dominack Davis Williams. His knee is shot and probably won't ever play again.But you gotta love the Kubiak mentality......stock pile the RBs.

Davis is gone and Dayne, Gado and Lundy will be fighting for roster spots come pre-season with or without Peterson there.

Davis is gone and Dayne, Gado and Lundy will be fighting for roster spots come pre-season with or without Peterson there.
Gotcha. Didn't read about Davis. You have to figure that Dayne's the long-shot to make the roster and, if they get AP, that Gado would be trade bait.

Seriously, what the hell is Calvin Johnson going to do for Detroit? Be realistic. So they have Roy/Calvin. They still have a bad o-line, they still cant run the ball consistently, and they still suck on D, and they still have garbage at QB.Enjoy
When you have a chance to get the best player on the board, I'll take quality over quantity everytime!

:own3d: Unless you're talking about a truly elite RB talent, a good o-line is far more capable of making an average RB look good than the other way around. Peterson might be elite, but it's very hard to tell even with a guy as promising as he appears, and the added benefit that bolstering the line has is that it also directly protects the QB.
If they take Thomas and pair him up with Steinbeck and with good luck maybe even Bentley can make it back from his injury, they would have the makings of a nice O'line. Grab a QB next year (or maybe Frye can turn it around with people blocking for him) and you can always get a passable RB from somewhere, Winslow & Braylon, you'd have a nice offense (on paper) in place.

When you have a chance to get the best player on the board, I'll take quality over quantity everytime!
Not talking about quantity. Johnson is by no means a slam dunk gurantee to be better than Quinn or Thomas will be. So the Lions will have a couple of fun wrs with little else. Still wont translate to wins

Not talking about quantity. Johnson is by no means a slam dunk gurantee to be better than Quinn or Thomas will be. So the Lions will have a couple of fun wrs with little else. Still wont translate to wins
Johnson is the best and safest pick on the board. I think most "experts" would agree with that. If you don't think adding him to the Lions won't translate into wins...I think you're sadly mistaken. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one...Cleveland seems like a great fit for Joe Thomas. That's his kinda town and they even have a place for his boat!

Nothing has ever translated into wins for Detroit. At least we will be fun to watch the Lions lose.Take and keep CJ!!

So if this all pans out Peterson goes to Vikings? At 7

At 5 Zona goes DL?

Quinn falls to 6 where Skins trade to Miami. Or is this maybe where the Briggs Trade comes in Bears would get Quinn??????? At 6

If Trent green to Miami gets done, I really think Oakland either takes CJ or trades with Cleveland....
I think Al will only trade down if he can really pull someone's pants down, and I don't think Cleveland is willing to let him do that. It's Russell. It's always been Russell.

There's two guys I wanted the Bucs to end up with. Thomas or CJ. Now they may get neither. When did Detroit and Cleveland get a brain? :)

There's two guys I wanted the Bucs to end up with. Thomas or CJ. Now they may get neither. When did Detroit and Cleveland get a brain? :)
If Millen takes and keeps CJ, he will definitely deserve some props. Gutsy move, he'd take some heat. I like the draft him, and try and trade him later idea.

If Millen takes and keeps CJ, he will definitely deserve some props. Gutsy move, he'd take some heat. I like the draft him, and try and trade him later idea.
That is not good..if you trade him and he turns into the best WR in football you always have the stigma of dealing a HOF type player.

That is not good..if you trade him and he turns into the best WR in football you always have the stigma od dealing a HOF type player.
Sure, but Millen is trying to put together a winner, not firm up his legacy as a brillant GM.Can his rep suffer any more? I don't think so. There's a certain freedom in that. He's got nothing to lose. If he can get a package that'll improve his team, do it.

Users who are viewing this thread