What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: J. Russell thread (1 Viewer)

Detroit and Cleveland will both regret passing on Quinn
I think it has been proven that you don't need an All-Pro talent at the Quarterback position in a Mike Martz offense. I will however agree with you on the Cleveland part.
Who knows how long Martz will be there. I wouldnt plan on it being too long. Now Cleveland is the team I cant kill from taking what could be a dominant LT. Detroit taking Johnson is just horrible
Why is that horrible? Detroit gets the best player in the draft w/o even having to trade up for him. The Lions should do something right for ONCE and keep the pick.
Seriously, what the hell is Calvin Johnson going to do for Detroit? Be realistic. So they have Roy/Calvin. They still have a bad o-line, they still cant run the ball consistently, and they still suck on D, and they still have garbage at QB.Enjoy
When you have a chance to get the best player on the board, I'll take quality over quantity everytime!
Not talking about quantity. Johnson is by no means a slam dunk gurantee to be better than Quinn or Thomas will be. So the Lions will have a couple of fun wrs with little else. Still wont translate to wins
Johnson is the best and safest pick on the board. I think most "experts" would agree with that. If you don't think adding him to the Lions won't translate into wins...I think you're sadly mistaken. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one...
Has the Fitz/Boldin thing worked out for Az?

I think it has been proven that you don't need an All-Pro talent at the Quarterback position in a Mike Martz offense. I will however agree with you on the Cleveland part.
Who knows how long Martz will be there. I wouldnt plan on it being too long. Now Cleveland is the team I cant kill from taking what could be a dominant LT. Detroit taking Johnson is just horrible
Why is that horrible? Detroit gets the best player in the draft w/o even having to trade up for him. The Lions should do something right for ONCE and keep the pick.
Seriously, what the hell is Calvin Johnson going to do for Detroit? Be realistic. So they have Roy/Calvin. They still have a bad o-line, they still cant run the ball consistently, and they still suck on D, and they still have garbage at QB.Enjoy
When you have a chance to get the best player on the board, I'll take quality over quantity everytime!
Not talking about quantity. Johnson is by no means a slam dunk gurantee to be better than Quinn or Thomas will be. So the Lions will have a couple of fun wrs with little else. Still wont translate to wins
Johnson is the best and safest pick on the board. I think most "experts" would agree with that. If you don't think adding him to the Lions won't translate into wins...I think you're sadly mistaken. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one...
Wasn't Boldin a 2nd round pick?

yes

Detroit will move back to 4, take Gaines Adams, and then use their leverage to dip back into the late first and take Trent Edwards.

Or maybe not. :shrug:

I meant having 2 stud wideouts with nothing else around them

Detroit will move back to 4, take Gaines Adams, and then use their leverage to dip back into the late first and take Trent Edwards. Or maybe not. :shrug:
Gaines Adams is not going to be a star in this league.Adams is a good pass rusher, but gets pushed around on the run.

Detroit will move back to 4, take Gaines Adams, and then use their leverage to dip back into the late first and take Trent Edwards. Or maybe not. :shrug:
Gaines Adams is not going to be a star in this league.Adams is a good pass rusher, but gets pushed around on the run.
Most of the guys taken in the top ten aren't going to be stars in the league. I'm just making a guess based on a few things I've heard:- Detroit covets Adams- Detroit wants to trade down- Lots of teams are interested in Calvin Johnson- Detroit likes Edwards

The Raiders had to take him.

My first thought watching him is that he did not look very excited or happy at being the #1 overall pick. JR did not even smile. Kind of puzzling when a lifelong dream is fullfilled.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
He's always been down to earth. That's one of the big plusses about this guy. Not much fazes him. He'll do well (eventually) with the Raiders. That are very fortunate to get this guy.

Looks like L.S.U. will put 3 players in the top ten picks, very impressive for them. How many of their players overall should go overall?

If Davis and Kiffin have any brains in their heads they sit Russell for a year like was done with Palmer and Campbell and let him learn. He's very raw and needs that time to transition. The team also needs time to improve overall and take the pressure off of him.

I don't think the physical talent has too many questions. He looks to have pretty much the full package. My question about him is can he be a leader that can handle being the face of the franchise both on and off the field. There's a lot of responsibility being the #1 pick in the draft (especially at QB). Too me the answer to that (and I obviously don't know the answer) will determine if he's a franchise-level QB or just a physical tease.

A big part of Russell's future will be determined by the current Raider Oakland coaching staff. No one knows what to expect out of Kiffin be it good or bad because there's not a lot to judge him by. If it's a worst-case scenario and he's not ready to be an NFL Coach that could really hinder Russell's development. I think how the whole Oakland situation unfolds this year will have a big impact (be it good or bad) on Russell.

If Davis and Kiffin have any brains in their heads they sit Russell for a year like was done with Palmer and Campbell and let him learn. He's very raw and needs that time to transition. The team also needs time to improve overall and take the pressure off of him.
:jawdrop: At least 10 games, but I'd prefer he sit 1 year too.

Especially if we don't know if we can protect him. Throw Andrew Walter to the wolves, and if we can put a line together, give Russell some PT later in the year. Maybe just a few series, I'd love to see them ease him in.

The reason I say a full year is because having an entire offseason as the starter (you only get 1/2 of an offseason after the draft) is huge. Jason Campbell has said that the number of reps he's gotten this offseason as the undisputed starter has been dramatic in terms of his ability mesh with the WR's and really master the offense. With only very rare exceptions such as elite students of the game like Manning, or guys who are simply winners like Vince Young, I don't think the reps are worth it that first year. You can learn by sitting and watching and attending meetings the first year.

Especially if we don't know if we can protect him. Throw Andrew Walter to the wolves, and if we can put a line together, give Russell some PT later in the year. Maybe just a few series, I'd love to see them ease him in.
Congrats MassRaider, you got your guy. Do you already have a Jersey on a Fed-ex plane? I sure hope your right about this guy, or we have another tough 5-10 years ahead of us.

:shrug: At least 10 games, but I'd prefer he sit 1 year too.
Congrats MassRaider, you got your guy. Do you already have a Jersey on a Fed-ex plane? I sure hope your right about this guy, or we have another tough 5-10 years ahead of us.
I'm planning on knocking up the next girl I meet, just to name the baby JaMarcus. Hope it's a boy.

Users who are viewing this thread