What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Brady Quinn Thread (1 Viewer)

If you are Quinn, are you at all annoyed at Cleveland for passing you up at 3 and then eventually trading up to get you at 22, especially considering the money it probably cost you?

If you are Quinn, are you at all annoyed at Cleveland for passing you up at 3 and then eventually trading up to get you at 22, especially considering the money it probably cost you?
No, the guy they took at #3 will be keeping him upright for about 10 years. He should be thankful.

Its a pretty standard trade here, their second and next years first. Brown just better make sure they dont suck next year.

Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :lmao:
They were considering him at #3. To me it was a no brainer for them.
Agreed. This is where people need to put down the draft chart. He represents huge value there, particularly for a team that already nabbed an elite OL prospect in this draft. Nobody will care what was traded if he pans out.

Its a pretty standard trade here, their second and next years first. Brown just better make sure they dont suck next year.
They only moved up 13 spots (I think). For that they paid a 1st rounder? If you move from 15 to 2, okay, but this is late first round. That seems insane. Dallas made out here, no question. Quinn may turn into an all-Pro for years but based just on the draft position, this was very lopsided

Agreed. This is where people need to put down the draft chart. He represents huge value there, particularly for a team that already nabbed an elite OL prospect in this draft. Nobody will care what was traded if he pans out.
I disagree with the notion that Quinn is an elite QB prospect. You will likely see 3 such prospects in next years draft however. Bad deal IMO.

Yeah. Look at it this way, if Cleveland had the #3 and the #4 picks who would have they taken? They probably got two of their top four players on their board. Dallas made out too but to me Cleveland made a great move getting exactly who they wanted. Think about what Atlanta gave up for Michael Vick. Or what the Giants gave up for Manning. Bold and smart move by the Browns.

As a Cowboy fan, I'm popping the champaigne bottles right now. Great move to maximize the value of their pick.

Hope Quinn plays well for Cleveland. In 2008. Top 15 pick next year, if not top 10, here we come!

They only moved up 13 spots (I think). For that they paid a 1st rounder? If you move from 15 to 2, okay, but this is late first round. That seems insane. Dallas made out here, no question. Quinn may turn into an all-Pro for years but based just on the draft position, this was very lopsided
But this was a guy they were considering at 3 --- considering that the pick 1.03-1.05 I don't think the deal's all that bad --- AND they don't have to give him that large sum of guaranteed money

Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :o
Yeah. Look at it this way, if Cleveland had the #3 and the #4 picks who would have they taken? They probably got two of their top four players on their board. Dallas made out too but to me Cleveland made a great move getting exactly who they wanted. Think about what Atlanta gave up for Michael Vick. Or what the Giants gave up for Manning. Bold and smart move by the Browns.
:goodposting: They filled a need spot and didn't ruin any draft with giving a ton of picks.

Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :goodposting:
Exactly. The Browns also energized their rabid fan base. Cleveland needed some positive energy and they used their 1snd and 2nd in 07' and their 1st in 08' to land franchise LT Thomas and franchise QB Quinn. That's a dream scenario for any Brown fan.

Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :goodposting:
I disagree with the notion that Quinn is an elite QB prospect. You will likely see 3 such prospects in next years draft however. Bad deal IMO.
Define "elite." He was the 2nd QB off the board and was projected to be an easy top ten.

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not. Just because other people are stupid doesn't mean you have to be too. Quite obviously, in both cases, SD made out in those trades. Just like Dallas did here.

Define "elite." He was the 2nd QB off the board and was projected to be an easy top ten.
Projected by who? People like us on message boards? I'd say an "elite" QB or prospect of any position does not need to wait until 1.22 to be taken no matter how you break down the needs. Especially considering that this draft was awful short on elite talent to begin with.I think this worked out very well for Quinn and even the Browns, due to the coaching ties. I just don't see Quinn as an elite QB or franchise QB. I've said this for a while.

prefontaine said:
Doctor Detroit said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :o
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not. Just because other people are stupid doesn't mean you have to be too. Quite obviously, in both cases, SD made out in those trades. Just like Dallas did here.
:goodposting: Didn't the Browns give up considerably less then the Giants and Falcons did?

Ghost Rider said:
annoyed yes, but they still gave up a ton to get you, and obviously no one else wanted you :goodposting:

Let me start my rant now.

Every expert in the country had Quinn mocked to us at #3. I wanted Thomas more and I'm glad we got him. What we essentially did is trade our #1 choice next year for another #3 overall choice this year. We got the best QB in the draft and a guy that wanted to play for Cleveland more than anywhere else and we got him for about 10 million less than we would have had to pay him at #3. I am more than happy! :goodposting:

jurb26 said:
Projected by who? People like us on message boards? I'd say an "elite" QB or prospect of any position does not need to wait until 1.22 to be taken no matter how you break down the needs. Especially considering that this draft was awful short on elite talent to begin with.
Dan Marino down?

prefontaine said:
redman said:
code said:
redman said:
I like the Browns draft. Thomas and Quinn are a very nice combo.
Still don't know what they gave up to get Quinn...
Their 2007 third and next year's first.
That seems like a LOT doesn't it. Are the Browns good enough yet to not get a top 10 pick?
I couldn't agree with you more. The Browns will be a crappy team again next year. Quinn might turn out to be a solid QB in time. But he isn't going to help them next year. This kils them. That was waaaaay too much to give up. The upside is that they can sign Quinn to a much cheaper contract than if they had signed him at 3. That part is really good for them.

jurb26 said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :tumbleweed:
I disagree with the notion that Quinn is an elite QB prospect. You will likely see 3 such prospects in next this years draft however. Bad deal IMO.
fixed I would much rather have any of the next 3 qbs (especially at 2nd and 3rd round money) and my picks that Brady Quinn. Although this is a good move for ticket sales, is that an issue in CLE?

jurb26 said:
Projected by who? People like us on message boards? I'd say an "elite" QB or prospect of any position does not need to wait until 1.22 to be taken no matter how you break down the needs. Especially considering that this draft was awful short on elite talent to begin with.
Dan Marino down?
There was a reason Marino fell.But while we're at it why don't we just name Tom Brady too.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Doctor Detroit said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
Wow! Clev gave up too much IMO. 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year. :tumbleweed:
Manning/Vick> QuinnNot even in the same ballpark.

jurb26 said:
Dan Marino down?
There was a reason Marino fell.
Yeah, GMs arent as smart as people hold them out to be.

jurb26 said:
Dan Marino down?
There was a reason Marino fell.But while we're at it why don't we just name Tom Brady too.....
Brady Quinn fell for the same reason...some GM's didn't accurately grade him out as an NFL prospect.

Patoons said:
prefontaine said:
dparker713 said:
But this was a guy they were considering at 3 --- considering that the pick 1.03-1.05 I don't think the deal's all that bad --- AND they don't have to give him that large sum of guaranteed money
Savage just said "we liked Brady, but he was not the third best player on the board. No ####. He's not the 3rd best QB on the board."I think the 2-4 qbs in this draft (including quinn there) are interchangeable, just about.

The Gator said:
Doctor Detroit said:
redman said:
Doctor Detroit said:
jurb26 said:
:tumbleweed: They filled a need spot and didn't ruin any draft with giving a ton of picks.
:confused:

If Cleveland was really looking at Quinn at #3 than this is a deal they had to make. Addressing two gaping holes like this goes along ways towards getting back to respectability. It also energizes a fan base which this franchise needs.

For Dallas this is an awesome deal. Owning the Cleveland draft pick is like gold...especially if they're starting a rookie QB or Charlie Frye next season. They could really score here. They also get a pretty high pick this year so they still get help this year. Fantastic move by Dallas.

jurb26 said:
Dan Marino down?
Brady Quinn fell for the same reason...some GM's didn't accurately grade him out as an NFL prospect.
Not exactly.

Browns owner really wanted Quinn. Savage has a job for a few more years. Crennel may have a job for a couple more because Quinn is long term. They could have gotten immediate help with their 2nd.

jurb26 said:
Dan Marino down?
There were 6 first round Qbs that year. I guess it must've been all those qbs taken in the run on qbs from 2-21 that caused the panic for this move.

According to Kiper's Big Board we got the 2nd and 3rd rated players. Add Steinbach and Lewis in FA and you guys better start thinking about the Browns if they are on your schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread