What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Draft Grades (1 Viewer)

BoltBacker

Footballguy
Now that DAL has finished drafting today(barring any trades) I guess we should start grading our teams drafts. I thought teams went for need quite a bit more than in the past.

SD still has pick #96 but thus far I'd give them a C. Didn't think they were in as dire need of a WR as everyone else seems to think but they made up for it by making the trade to secure Weddle. Weddle and a ILB/NT would have been better imo. For the day I'd give them a B though because they didn't trade away Turner. The only players in this draft that might have helped them in their persuit of a SB more than Turner were Willis and Landry and I don't think they could have gotten either for Turner.

Now that DAL has finished drafting today(barring any trades) I guess we should start grading our teams drafts. I thought teams went for need quite a bit more than in the past.SD still has pick #96 but thus far I'd give them a C. Didn't think they were in as dire need of a WR as everyone else seems to think but they made up for it by making the trade to secure Weddle. Weddle and a ILB/NT would have been better imo. For the day I'd give them a B though because they didn't trade away Turner. The only players in this draft that might have helped them in their persuit of a SB more than Turner were Willis and Landry and I don't think they could have gotten either for Turner.
I think SD overpaid handsomely for Weddle. Time will tell but they gave up a bunch and the guys on NFL Network thought Weddle would have been there at their original pick. I'm satisfied with DAL picks today and of course having CLE's #1 next year. With 7 picks tomorrow I would like to see them hit on atleast 2 of those.

Now that DAL has finished drafting today(barring any trades) I guess we should start grading our teams drafts. I thought teams went for need quite a bit more than in the past.SD still has pick #96 but thus far I'd give them a C. Didn't think they were in as dire need of a WR as everyone else seems to think but they made up for it by making the trade to secure Weddle. Weddle and a ILB/NT would have been better imo. For the day I'd give them a B though because they didn't trade away Turner. The only players in this draft that might have helped them in their persuit of a SB more than Turner were Willis and Landry and I don't think they could have gotten either for Turner.
I think SD overpaid handsomely for Weddle. Time will tell but they gave up a bunch and the guys on NFL Network thought Weddle would have been there at their original pick. I'm satisfied with DAL picks today and of course having CLE's #1 next year. With 7 picks tomorrow I would like to see them hit on atleast 2 of those.
So what grade would you give DAL draft?I've heard others say the same thing about the Weddle trade but I've seen mocks where SD took Weddle with their 1st round pick. I don't think he would have lasted. Of couse I've also seen mocks where Davis was taken deep in the second. Maybe I'm alone in this but I thought they reached more for Davis than Weddle. Weddle was a need, Davis was a luxury imo.

Pats: A (as usual)

Got a position filled with Merriweather and got SF's 1st next year. We'll see what they do in the 3rd now...

I like my Saints draft so far...they got two 3rds and two fourths now and they got Meachum who I think is gonna be awesome. I was hoping for Chris Houston but i love meachum so i'm pleased with taht too

Rams: A

Yeah, it would have been nice for Okoye to drop to them, but Carriker is a safe, solid pick and will contribute immediate dividends. Leonard also will be the primary backup to S-Jax and is pretty much a Swiss Army knife in the backfield.

Eagles: F

They needed help at S and CB...

Instead they gave their arch rival a better pick and a player that will fit into their system.

The instead picked a QB - a guy who probably won't see meaningful time for the next 5 years.

Not my team but I have to say that the Browns did a hell of a job!

How often can a team get two projected top 5 players?

Chiefs get an F did not fill the right needs at Oline, should have dafted Staley then Kalil. Every WR we pick in the first round does not pan out ie Sylvester Morris....

Dallas Cowboys - B+ with A+ potential next year.

1.26 Anthony Spencer DE/OLB- Solid pick although I don't think he was the best available player for them at the time. The Cowboys have invested so much into linebacker the past few years that they could have looked elsewhere. Spencer does have to potential to be a difference maker but not a position of need in my opinion.

I wish they had taken Alan Branch with this pick as DT is going to be a need much sooner than linebacker.

3.3 James Marten RT - I don't know enough about him to give much of an opinion but the Cowboys needed help at OT.

Getting the Browns 2008 first round pick was a major coup. The fact that it will likely be a top 15 pick is awesome.

So what grade would you give DAL draft?I've heard others say the same thing about the Weddle trade but I've seen mocks where SD took Weddle with their 1st round pick. I don't think he would have lasted. Of couse I've also seen mocks where Davis was taken deep in the second. Maybe I'm alone in this but I thought they reached more for Davis than Weddle. Weddle was a need, Davis was a luxury imo.
I'll give them a B right now but the pick next year could make it an A. We'll know next year.

While several teams have accounted well for themselves, no team has done more for this year's results than Cleveland. Thomas, Quinn and Davis are huge. You can't get much better than those 3.

Add in Steinbach and Lewis and Cleveland is much better than last year already.

Giants get a D.
:angry: Why?!? Ross is a solid CB, which they DESPERATELY need, and Steve Smith was great value where they got him.Alford has a good motor and can't be worse than William Joseph.Aside from a LB, I think they are filling their needs nicely.FWIW, LB's are easier to find in free agency than CB's.ETA: B

Last edited by a moderator:
Packers get a D right now, but Thompson knows his stuff so I'm hoping he sees something I don't.

I do like the run stuffing D lineman though.

Chiefs get an F did not fill the right needs at Oline, should have dafted Staley then Kalil. Every WR we pick in the first round does not pan out ie Sylvester Morris....
You make a good point about OL but I think you are being more than a little rough here. Not a big fan of 1st round WR's myself but I like Bowe. DT was just as big a need as OL imo and McBride/Tyler is an excellent combo for Herms defense. When Allen comes back from the suspension look out for that DL.

Lions with an A-.

Harris over Stanton would've made A+ and they have 8 picks tomorrow, so they'll get a few players by trading up then too.

Oh and we dumped 2 pieces of deadweight, cap pain.

:angry:

I love the drafts that the Browns and 49ers have had this year but when grading them you have to consider that they each gave up their first round picks in 2008. :goodposting: I think the 49ers actually have had the best draft out of anyone.

You make a good point about OL but I think you are being more than a little rough here. Not a big fan of 1st round WR's myself but I like Bowe. DT was just as big a need as OL imo and McBride/Tyler is an excellent combo for Herms defense. When Allen comes back from the suspension look out for that DL.
I think KC does not feel like the OL is going to be a real problem or they would have addressed it early. The commitment to improving the DEF is notable because if they have in fact solidified there then the OFF will not be as stressed. I like Bowe a lot, was hoping DAL would take him before I heard the Quinn trade.

Jets- B+

Trading up for Revis was a great move, getting their highest ranked CB and also a serious need pick, while also perhaps getting a dangerous punt returner in the process. Jury is out on Harris, the Mich LB.... they gave up a lot of picks, putting other needs like a guard on the back burner for what looks to be a purely BPA, can't believe he dropped so far pick in Harris. Harris will allow the Jets to make ILB Barton a salary cap cut, which has been long rumored.

The Revis move was brilliant... if Harris can help the run D, move the grade up to an A-.... but I'm not sold on Harris just yet.

Vikings --- Adrian Peterson Enough said.

Honestly, I cant grade them out because I do not know enough about their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Giants get a D.
:yucky: Why?!? Ross is a solid CB, which they DESPERATELY need, and Steve Smith was great value where they got him.Alford has a good motor and can't be worse than William Joseph.Aside from a LB, I think they are filling their needs nicely.FWIW, LB's are easier to find in free agency than CB's.ETA: B
Ross is a 2nd round player and they passed on some better players such as Poz and Staley. Many CBs who are just as good as Ross were still available much later. Smith is decent, but they have many much more pressing needs that they didn't address such as OT and OLB. Alford was also a reach and saying he can't be worse than Joseph really doesn't say anything. Most can't be worse than Joseph. Giving them a B is way too high. :excited:ETA - I also would have really prefered if they had made that trade with CLE instead of DAL. They missed out on a great opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give my Steelers a B.
I like Timmons(one of the few 1st round "no-brainers" to predict) but a TE in the third? That was a little surprising to me. I thought they were planning on spreading the offense out?
I give the Steelers a D so far. Timmons will be a very good player in 2 yrs, but I do not like Woodley at all and well taking a backup TE while you have glaring other needs such as OL is just not very smart drafting.

Vikings --- Adrian Peterson Enough said.Honestly, I cant grade them out because I do not know enough about their 2nd and 3rd round picks.
You're unfamiliar with Sidney Rice? He's been discussed a lot, plenty thought he'd be a late 1st rounder. They needed a WR and some think he could be special. Others always cite a lack of toughness. We'll see.

I personally wouldn't put Cleveland up so high just yet. They traded what should be a top 10 overall pick for a player that was passed up by most teams in this years draft. I think anyone could have a draft that looked like Cleveland if they traded next years 1st rounder which will likely turn into a very nice pick. If anything Dallas should get the A for getting the players that they did and a future stud next season.

Users who are viewing this thread