What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would happen if I fought a featherweight boxer? (1 Viewer)

If you really want to find out, and you can make it up to Milwaukee, I can get you a fight with Omar Choudhury. He's 130lbs, not exactly an elite MMA fighter, and he'd make you quit in under 3 minutes.
:cry:
If I ever accidentally drive 21 hours north and east I'll give you a call.
I was under the impression that it took longer to get to Milwaukee from Hell.
Never been to Milwaukee obviously.

I'm fairly certain there are people who are the size of featherweight boxers, that aren't boxers, that could still kick your ### in any type of fight.
You realize that this is about the size of your average 11 or 12 year old right?
When I was 15 I had a job in my dad's grocery store. This meat cutter in the store was all of 5'7" and about 140. Wiry little guy. Nicest guy in the world. I had heard he was a real badass. One day he comes into the store and has fat lip and a black eye and all kinds of scrapes. The usual jokes about, "you should see the other guy," were going around. Then the, "other guy," came in to cash his check. This store was in a really bad neighborhood. This dude was a mountain. 6' 5" brutha that weighed in at over 250. Almost double Ron's weight. He looked like he had just gotten into a car accident. Whole side of his head was swelled up. Broken nose. Fat lip. He walked up to the meat counter to cash his check and apologized to Ron for, "pissing you off last night. Won't happen again."Everyone watching this display was speechless. I had heard the guy was nails. Turns out he was a flippin nail gun....I've always said I would fight anyone anywhere. Not saying that I start fights, but I don't back down. I;ve stared down much bigger guys and walked away unscathed without a punch thrown. If I had to defend my family I would fight ron, but I'm pretty sure I would get smoked...

I'm fairly certain there are people who are the size of featherweight boxers, that aren't boxers, that could still kick your ### in any type of fight.
You realize that this is about the size of your average 11 or 12 year old right?
I think that you totally missed the post about the force of punches thrown by the little guys. Little to no difference in force between the different weight classes.
I think you totally missed... a lot.
I think you missed it badly. These guys hit as hard as the big guys and are hella faster. You think you can withstand a Professional fighters shots to your body? You think you have enough quickness to hit them? :cry: This is now getting into ego.

I think that you totally missed the post about the force of punches thrown by the little guys. Little to no difference in force between the different weight classes.
:cry: Then why do they have weight classes?

If you really want to find out, and you can make it up to Milwaukee, I can get you a fight with Omar Choudhury. He's 130lbs, not exactly an elite MMA fighter, and he'd make you quit in under 3 minutes.
:cry:
Never been to Milwaukee obviously.
It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into WisconsinI got my ### kicked in Wisconsin once....

I think you missed it badly. These guys hit as hard as the big guys and are hella faster. You think you can withstand a Professional fighters shots to your body? You think you have enough quickness to hit them? :cry: This is now getting into ego.
Read the thread before you go off on your soap box.. you are adding zilch.

These guys DO NOT hit as hard as the big guys. That is preposterous. They hit hard enough to put "joe street tough" down easily though.

:bag:
You lost me... :cry:

:rolleyes: Then why do they have weight classes?
To protect the big, slow guys.

:shrug:
You lost me... :rolleyes:
matuski Footballguy

Group: Members

Member No.: 19175

Alright lazy bastages. recap:

Thread started by shady asking the question. I stated my opinions, others stated theirs. I volunteered to find out. This is not an ego thing... I am truly curious, so what the hell.

Me - Father taught boxing as teen (he boxed/karate in school)). Submission training (mostly wrists) - whole life from father. Aikido - couple years again as teen. Athletics - several sports in high-school. Track, tennis, bball, soccer. Offers to play college tennis, bball.

Age - 31, good shape (past my peak though), play in competitive (mostly ex college/pro) bball league. 6'2"/3" 220lbs.

Opponent - obviously hypothetically my claims are aimed atanyone that would qualify as a featherweight, in a street fight. In reality, after a conversation with a guy at my gym that is involved in boxing, I am not sure there is any way it would ever happen (me officially boxing a guy that much smaller than me). He described it as a no-win situation.

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :rolleyes:
This will come in handy for you.

:rolleyes:

I think you missed it badly. These guys hit as hard as the big guys and are hella faster. You think you can withstand a Professional fighters shots to your body? You think you have enough quickness to hit them? :rolleyes: This is now getting into ego.
actually I think the Avatar adds a lot...................

:shrug:
You lost me... :rolleyes:
matuski Footballguy

Group: Members

Member No.: 19175
:lmao: :wall:

Thread started by shady asking the question. I stated my opinions, others stated theirs. I volunteered to find out. This is not an ego thing... I am truly curious, so what the hell.

Me - Father taught boxing as teen (he boxed/karate in school)). Submission training (mostly wrists) - whole life from father. Aikido - couple years again as teen. Athletics - several sports in high-school. Track, tennis, bball, soccer. Offers to play college tennis, bball.

Age - 31, good shape (past my peak though), play in competitive (mostly ex college/pro) bball league. 6'2"/3" 220lbs.

Opponent - obviously hypothetically my claims are aimed atanyone that would qualify as a featherweight, in a street fight. In reality, after a conversation with a guy at my gym that is involved in boxing, I am not sure there is any way it would ever happen (me officially boxing a guy that much smaller than me). He described it as a no-win situation.

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :moneybag:
All I'm sayin. If I can grab or even get a glancing blow to a dude that small, he goes down, I go on top -

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you missed it badly. These guys hit as hard as the big guys and are hella faster. You think you can withstand a Professional fighters shots to your body? You think you have enough quickness to hit them? :moneybag: This is now getting into ego.
You gonna kick his ###?

All I'm sayin. If I can grab or even get a glancing blow to a dude that small, he goes down, I go on top - see dog with ragdoll.
Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. While they can't hit as hard, they have close-to the ability to take a hell of a shot. I think you're gonna have to hit him with a telegraphed hay maker, and I just can't see that happening.

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :)
All I'm sayin. If I can grab or even get a glancing blow to a dude that small, he goes down, I go on top - see dog with ragdoll.
And all I'm saying is that you'd have to be verty lucky to do so, as these guys train to evade punches almost as much as they train to punch, and are one helluva lot quicker than you are. All the power in the world is wasted if you're swinging at air. :shrug:

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :)
And all I'm saying is that you'd have to be verty lucky to do so, as these guys train to evade punches almost as much as they train to punch, and are one helluva lot quicker than you are. All the power in the world is wasted if you're swinging at air. :shrug:
I wouldn't throw a punch. Would look to grab/shove.

And all I'm saying is that you'd have to be verty lucky to do so, as these guys train to evade punches almost as much as they train to punch, and are one helluva lot quicker than you are. All the power in the world is wasted if you're swinging at air. :)
I'm sayin if I had a baseball bat, and he wasn't looking, I think I could take him, no problem.

I think you missed it badly. These guys hit as hard as the big guys and are hella faster. You think you can withstand a Professional fighters shots to your body? You think you have enough quickness to hit them? :) This is now getting into ego.
You gonna kick his ###?
I am the tough guy right?

I'm only six pages into reading this thread so forgive me if I'm covering something that's already been brought up.

http://www.bepress.com/jqas/vol2/iss2/3/

This paper presents the first direct measurement of punch force in professional boxing matches. Measurements were made using a proprietary system that records the force associated with punch impact. Twelve boxers wore boxing gloves incorporating the bestshot System TM in six professional boxing matches across five different weight classes. The force of each delivered punch was measured across all rounds of all bouts. Mean punch forces delivered ranged from 866.6 N (Super Middleweight) to 1149.2 N (Light Middleweight) across the fights and was not significantly correlated with boxer’s weight.
After reading this, it looks to me as if there isn't much of a relationship between a boxer's weight and the force of his punch. That would seem to mean that getting clipped in the jaw by a 125lb guy would be pretty much as UnWAR as getting stung by a 160lb'r. If I'm reading this wrong, let me know.Now as far as real life experience goes, I knew a little Mexican dude that was trying to become a pro boxer. I guess he'd fought in a few amateur matches and done alright. Anyway, that dude would set up cones in the middle of the gym's basketball court in the shape of a ring and spend 30 - 45 minutes bopping around and shadow boxing. Dude was small. I'd guess about 130lbs soaking wet and maybe 5'5. But dude was cut and FAST. And I SWEAR I've never seen anybody throw a punch that fast in real life. No way that I, on purpose, would ever even think about mixing it up with the dude unless my life depended on it. In which case he would have beat my ###...badly. Of this I'm certain. Oh, And I'm 6'3 250lbs.

I vote that in a bar fight or in the ring some dude on the street ends up hunting for teeth after he gets rocked to sleep.
This is what I was referring to. Secondly, why do you think you will be able to grab one of these guys to shake like a ragdoll?

I've always been told "you can't judge a book by it's cover", but if that guy (Omar Choudhury) isn't serving hard time within the next 5-10 years, I'd be seriously surprised...
I don't know Omar too well, but he seems like a really good guy. Henry looks pretty scary in that picture, but he's a really laid back dude as well. I doubt either of them will ever be in trouble with the law.

I'm only six pages into reading this thread so forgive me if I'm covering something that's already been brought up.

This paper presents the first direct measurement of punch force in professional boxing matches. Measurements were made using a proprietary system that records the force associated with punch impact. Twelve boxers wore boxing gloves incorporating the bestshot System TM in six professional boxing matches across five different weight classes. The force of each delivered punch was measured across all rounds of all bouts. Mean punch forces delivered ranged from 866.6 N (Super Middleweight) to 1149.2 N (Light Middleweight) across the fights and was not significantly correlated with boxer’s weight.
After reading this, it looks to me as if there isn't much of a relationship between a boxer's weight and the force of his punch. That would seem to mean that getting clipped in the jaw by a 125lb guy would be pretty much as UnWAR as getting stung by a 160lb'r. If I'm reading this wrong, let me know.Now as far as real life experience goes, I knew a little Mexican dude that was trying to become a pro boxer. I guess he'd fought in a few amateur matches and done alright. Anyway, that dude would set up cones in the middle of the gym's basketball court in the shape of a ring and spend 30 - 45 minutes bopping around and shadow boxing. Dude was small. I'd guess about 130lbs soaking wet and maybe 5'5. But dude was cut and FAST. And I SWEAR I've never seen anybody throw a punch that fast in real life. No way that I, on purpose, would ever even think about mixing it up with the dude unless my life depended on it. In which case he would have beat my ###...badly. Of this I'm certain. Oh, And I'm 6'3 250lbs.

I vote that in a bar fight or in the ring some dude on the street ends up hunting for teeth after he gets rocked to sleep.
This is what I was referring to. Secondly, why do you think you will be able to grab one of these guys to shake like a ragdoll?
Eh, I think this is a little misleading. You're reading it correctly. The thing is, we have no idea what reputation any of these guys have. For example, were the smaller guys known for being guys that could hit hard, and the bigger guys were technique /speed guys? Every boxer doesn't throw punches the same way.I have a hard time believing Big George Foreman, in his prime, couldn't hit harder than a featherweight.

It would be tough to simulate exact conditions for each boxer.

This paper presents the first direct measurement of punch force in professional boxing matches. Measurements were made using a proprietary system that records the force associated with punch impact. Twelve boxers wore boxing gloves incorporating the bestshot System TM in six professional boxing matches across five different weight classes. The force of each delivered punch was measured across all rounds of all bouts. Mean punch forces delivered ranged from 866.6 N (Super Middleweight) to 1149.2 N (Light Middleweight) across the fights and was not significantly correlated with boxer's weight.

I keep forgetting I am supposed to be helpless in your eyes.I may as well be fighting Superman, I mean - these men with 12 year old bodies are immortal.

I wouldn't throw a punch. Would look to grab/shove.

If you can get your hands on him and he's wearing a shirt, I would thing the yank and punch would be much better. Pull him towards you while you jack hammer him with your free hand. Then again you leave your self open and if he punched you in the throat you will drop to your knees in a nano second...Seriously, you have no chance here guy....

I think you missed it badly. These guys hit as hard as the big guys and are hella faster. You think you can withstand a Professional fighters shots to your body? You think you have enough quickness to hit them? :rolleyes: This is now getting into ego.
You gonna kick his ###?
I am the tough guy right?
Apparently…

People are wanting to pile on without understanding the point... :rolleyes:
I'll bet you $5,000 cash that a "glancing blow" from a minimally trained amateur (read:you) isn't going to come close to knocking down a professionally trained featherweight. One of the many points you've consistently missed throughout this thread is that you can train and condition yourself to take punches. A professionally trained boxer is going to have a markedly higher threshold for taking punishment than you're giving him credit for, and his balance is going to be exemplary because of his low center of gravity and years of training. Also, the things you are considering "assets" - mass and strength, namely - will become liabilities after the first 3-4 minutes. The professional will run circles around you until your gassed, and at that point you will have no power behind any of your punches. He will then proceed to pick you apart like a buzzard picking at a carcass. Someone 130 pounds and fighting professionally has been negating the size and strength of larger men their entire life. You're just the latest in a line of tough guys who think their size is imposing or intimidating. These guys become fighters in part to make a mockery out of guys like you.

I may as well be fighting Superman, I mean - these men with 12 year old bodies are immortal.
These are not men with twelve year old bodies. That is a terrible analogy. These are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world, and you probably don't have as big an advantage in the strength category as you think.

This has to be the dumbest thread ever...............no one knows what would happen until it happened.

Everyone is a toughguy until they get hit...then we seperate the men from the boys.

Eh, I think this is a little misleading. You're reading it correctly. The thing is, we have no idea what reputation any of these guys have. For example, were the smaller guys known for being guys that could hit hard, and the bigger guys were technique /speed guys? Every boxer doesn't throw punches the same way.I have a hard time believing Big George Foreman, in his prime, couldn't hit harder than a featherweight.

It would be tough to simulate exact conditions for each boxer.
That's why I was saying generally and not specifically that Tyson hits the same as Merriweather.

OK - EVERYONE BUILDING UP THE FEATHERWEIGHT TO SUPERHERO STATUS.

I give. I am talking about fighting a very small human being.

:hifive:
IF Softball guy can seriously get you a fight with Henry, AND you'll actually fight the guy (complete with videotaped evidence to be provided via youtube to everyone here), I'll pay for the plane ticket from San Antonio to Milwaukee. I'm dead serious.

This paper presents the first direct measurement of punch force in professional boxing matches. Measurements were made using a proprietary system that records the force associated with punch impact. Twelve boxers wore boxing gloves incorporating the bestshot System TM in six professional boxing matches across five different weight classes. The force of each delivered punch was measured across all rounds of all bouts. Mean punch forces delivered ranged from 866.6 N (Super Middleweight) to 1149.2 N (Light Middleweight) across the fights and was not significantly correlated with boxer's weight.

I keep forgetting I am supposed to be helpless in your eyes.I may as well be fighting Superman, I mean - these men with 12 year old bodies are immortal.
I am not saying your helpless, read the whole damn thread today. I just think you are underestimating the pro featherweights. They don't punch like a twelve year old, they don't move like a twelve year old. These aren't twelve year old bodies. They are fully matured men, just not large men. They are extraordinarily fast the reason you see few knock outs in the low weight divisions is because they can't hit 100% on punches consistently. You are used to seeing them in the context of fighting fairly equally skilled men of the same speed, not people like yourself that are of average speed.

How can a 130 pound guy hit as hard as a 200 pound guy? Its called physics.

I am an avid bowhunter. I can shoot a 500 grain aluminum arrow at 260 feet per second, or I can shoot a 400 grain arrow at 300 fps. That light arrow is going to deliver more kinetic energy to the target that the much heavier, and slower arrow.

I am an avid bowhunter. I can shoot a 500 grain aluminum arrow at 260 feet per second, or I can shoot a 400 grain arrow at 300 fps. That light arrow is going to deliver more kinetic energy to the target that the much heavier, and slower arrow.
People routinely forget about the acceleration component of force = mass x acceleration and put way, way too much emphasis on the mass part of it.

I may as well be fighting Superman, I mean - these men with 12 year old bodies are immortal.
These are not men with twelve year old bodies. That is a terrible analogy. These are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world, and you probably don't have as big an advantage in the strength category as you think.
Obviously I am countering your extremes with my own.
What have I said that was extreme? The fact that these are men specifically conditioned to pound the tar out of people? And that they're the best in the world at it?This would be the same thing as me saying a baseball player that I have better eyesight than, probably can't hit the ball as well as I can. You're doing professional boxers a great deal of disrespect.Some people teach, some people serve and protect, some people put out fires. These people hurt other people. That's their business. That's what they do.What's the cutoff weight where you think you would get wrecked? 140? 160? 180?

How can a 130 pound guy hit as hard as a 200 pound guy? Its called physics.I am an avid bowhunter. I can shoot a 500 grain aluminum arrow at 260 feet per second, or I can shoot a 400 grain arrow at 300 fps. That light arrow is going to deliver more kinetic energy to the target that the much heavier, and slower arrow.
This would be a completely valid argument if boxers shot arrows out of their forearms like GoBots.

I've followed and read this thread from the very beginning.I keep hearing the following in my mind:

Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today. It's coooold out there every day. What is this, Miami Beach?
Phil? Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you!

Obviously I am countering your extremes with my own.
Okay i`ll play....matuski how do you think you would fare against a 7 foot 350lb guy in a fight ???Would you think your speed would be greater and your punch just as effective as his ???

Size matters. A lot. I'm not sure what some of you guys are thinking.

Having said that, all 130lbs of Omar would choke you out within minutes of the fight. Your idea of just being able to scoop him up and throw him around is silly. He'd take you down and armbar or choke you before you got 2 punches off.

I remember my first day of training BJJ. The guy that walked in before me was about 40 pounds lighter than me, and I remember thinking "how much tougher can this little guy be?" It's a humbling experience getting destroyed by a guy that much smaller than you to the point that he could end your life, easily, if he wanted to.

ETA: Here is the smallish guy I'm talking about - Tony Dedolph (the white dude).

People routinely forget about the acceleration component of force = mass x acceleration and put way, way too much emphasis on the mass part of it.
I think that in boxing, mass is at least equally, if not more, important. Just the size of a 200-lb guy's arm is going to make a huge difference.

IF Softball guy can seriously get you a fight with Henry, AND you'll actually fight the guy (complete with videotaped evidence to be provided via youtube to everyone here), I'll pay for the plane ticket from San Antonio to Milwaukee. I'm dead serious.
Omar is the 130 pounder, Henry is 150. I'd give anyone on this board $1,000 if they could last 5 minutes with Henry.

Size matters. A lot. I'm not sure what some of you guys are thinking.Having said that, all 130lbs of Omar would choke you out within minutes of the fight. Your idea of just being able to scoop him up and throw him around is silly. He'd take you down and armbar or choke you before you got 2 punches off. I remember my first day of training BJJ. The guy that walked in before me was about 40 pounds lighter than me, and I remember thinking "how much tougher can this little guy be?" It's a humbling experience getting destroyed by a guy that much smaller than you to the point that he could end your life, easily, if he wanted to.
Of course size matter - when discussing even remotely similar skill levels. That's the whole point of weight classes in wrestling and boxing - to pair similarly skilled athletes against one another. However, training > size, and many of us have seen or had this illustrated to us explicitly before. Some of us have not and seem to think a 70 lb weight difference is enough to account for the chasm of difference in skill between a professionally trained fighter and a rank amateur.

I think that in boxing, mass is at least equally, if not more, important. Just the size of a 200-lb guy's arm is going to make a huge difference.
Uhm, pretty sure this has been worked out extensively before today. In calculating force, mass and acceleration are exactly equally important. One, by definition, cannot be "more important" that the other.

Omar is the 130 pounder, Henry is 150. I'd give anyone on this board $1,000 if they could last 5 minutes with Henry.
Fine. IF you can get matuski a fight with either of them, AND he'll do it, I'll pay for the flight any time you guys can coordinate calendars and get this beatdown videotaped.

Users who are viewing this thread