What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would happen if I fought a featherweight boxer? (1 Viewer)

I am your size (6'2", 225lbs) and I have had this debate with friends many times.

I say with certainty I can woop any 5ft nothing 115-125lb guy pretty much regardless of boxing or other skills.

It would be like fighting a fourth grade boxer.
:lmao:
:shrug: I just consider it common sense. It is why weight classes exist.
Where do you believe your cutoff is? Do you think you could beat Mayweather? You've got over 75 lbs. on him. How about Ricky Hatton at 140? And are you talking about just in boxing?
Talking a straight fight. I would be allowed to use the advantages my size and reach gives me.I'm not trying to be macho - I'm just saying. I don't think it is a stretch at all...

ETA - no idea where the cutoff would be. Huge difference though from a 5'1" 125lb to a 5'8/9" 150lb. guy. The question was about featherweights.. so I will stick to that.
I grew up with this guy Buddy McGirt, 135 lbs.
No you didn't.
This is technically correct, I grew up with his younger brother Danny. :lmao: Some of you are seriously underestimating how hard these guys hit.

Seriously.

There are a few posters in this thread ready to overtake TommyGunz as the "wrongest wrong that ever wrongity wronged".

Congratulations. :thumbup:

Watch this then come back and tell me how you would do. These guys are so fast and their ungloved fist would cut you to pieces. They would hit you in the ribs and break your rib ans before you went down they would break your face in about 3 places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USIMFePsolE
Look again... in platform shoes these guys are just taller than the ropes. They are badass when the other guy is tiny as well, but what happens when their target is suddenly moved a foot overhead?Of course if punching in the nuts is a valid form of fighting they have the advantage. Or biting nuts.

I've boxed, kick-boxed (muay thai) and have done Brazilian Jujitsu for the last 4 years. I'm 5'8" 135 so i'm pretty comparable weightwise to these "little girl jockies". I by no means am a great fighter but i have plenty of experience and i will state that size+weight does matter. It matters WHEN the other person has had training. Without any training i just see a serious whooping issued by the professional. I've destroyed a couple of my friends in the ring who have been much larger (5'10 185, 6'0 205, 6'2 235) who have had NO training. Admittedly the only one who was in decent shape was the 185 pound guy (personal trainer) but they all still believed size is the end all be all of fighting. If you've never been in a fight, never been hit, never been trained. Well... do it. You'll be quite surprised. Like the quote goes "everyone has a plan until they get hit". You really have to get used to getting hit and being in these situations. It's amazing how quickly you get gassed. Adrenaline dumps are NOT a myth. Skill is a great equalizer in fighting. Now to the people saying that the featherweight 125 lbers couldn't hurt them with their little girly slaps... Well i would be willing to bet that they could. I weigh 135 and i CAN knock out a 235 pound guy. Am i saying i can knock out Matsuki or any 225 pounder? No. I'm saying that a 135 pound guy can knock out a 235 pound can who has no training. So i'm assuming a 125 lb pro can knock out someone who's 225. Honestly i buckled the knees of the guy who was 205 with a good stiff jab. People who have no idea how to fight are really quite pathetic the first time. It's really about speed and short, tight punches. Learning to tuck your chin and keeping your hands up which you won't are also critical. Anyhow, in a boxing match i say it's a virtual lock for the featherweight (but in boxing there always is the punchers chance). In a street fight with limited room well that's different. If the pro hasn't had any take-down or ground work experience (most won't) and the amateur is pretty athletic and strong i might go with the amateur depending on the guy(any wrestling or football experience, etc).And by the way... Punching isn't about how much muscle you have. It's about torque and core.
Good post.Now drop a couple inches and 10 lbs from your frame and we have what we are talking about.

Boxing Match - Featherweight KOs (not TKO) 95% of the average FBGs. The other 5% have granite domes and a high tolerance for pain, but will likely throw in the towel due to fatigue. Featherwieght wins on decision 100% of the time. Fight goes the distance (12 rounds, <1% of the time). (Odds, 1000:1)

Street Fight - Featherweight KOs 75% of the average FBGs. Only those with some combat training and some with a whole lot of luck stand a chance here. Chance for broken bones on the FBG is about 100% (fingers, wrist, ribs, face, etc.). FBG KOs Featherweight 2-5% of the time in a ground and pound scenario. The other 20% give up and run. (Odds: 20:1)

Bar fight - Average FBG has his best shot here due the confined space and the availability of props and intervening bystanders. AFBG wins this about 5% of the time, with the Featherweight winning by KO about 35% of the time. Cops / management / others break it up 60% of the time before it goes the distance. (Odds, 10:1)

GLLLLLLLLL
:pokey:

Boxing Match - Featherweight KOs (not TKO) 95% of the average FBGs. The other 5% have granite domes and a high tolerance for pain, but will likely throw in the towel due to fatigue. Featherwieght wins on decision 100% of the time. Fight goes the distance (12 rounds, <1% of the time). (Odds, 1000:1)

Street Fight - Featherweight KOs 75% of the average FBGs. Only those with some combat training and some with a whole lot of luck stand a chance here. Chance for broken bones on the FBG is about 100% (fingers, wrist, ribs, face, etc.). FBG KOs Featherweight 2-5% of the time in a ground and pound scenario. The other 20% give up and run. (Odds: 20:1)

Bar fight - Average FBG has his best shot here due the confined space and the availability of props and intervening bystanders. AFBG wins this about 5% of the time, with the Featherweight winning by KO about 35% of the time. Cops / management / others break it up 60% of the time before it goes the distance. (Odds, 10:1)

GLLLLLLLLL
Good post.J

GLLLLLLLLL
Good post.J
I wholeheartedly disagree.I have been in the ring with much more skilled people who were smaller than me, and been in the ring with much larger people who basically did not know how to box. You really would be surprized by how important the size difference is.

For some of these guys, the glove is like the end of a whip that is popped. Very different from something like a hook that is tons more power and biceps and lats.

Same with some of these skinny golfers and baseball pitchers.

J
:thumbup: Funny how it doesn't matter if a guy's 6'5" and 300 lbs or 5'4" and 140 lbs - noses don't carry much muscle. The smaller, quicker fighter would dance around, wait for his shot, nail Mr. Big FBG square in the schnozz like a sniper, quick flurry, fight over.
But hold on, guys, why am I standing 2 feet from him boxing-style? I'm not, and none of us would if we were that much bigger. The same way it's easy to get in and wrap up on your opponent and hug him, you'd grab the guy like a panda bear would and the simple physics of your extra hundred+ pounds of muscle would bring him down to the ground. What are his boxing skills doing for him now? Absolutely nothing. He's now in serious trouble.

GLLLLLLLLL
Good post.J
I wholeheartedly disagree.I have been in the ring with much more skilled people who were smaller than me, and been in the ring with much larger people who basically did not know how to box. You really would be surprized by how important the size difference is.
What do you think the results would be for the 3 scenarios z listed and why?J

I'll take your word for it since you have the most boxing experience out of all of us. I'm just going off my limited Muay Thai experience. Training goes a hell of a long way.Give your descriptions of the above scenarios.

GLLLLLLLLL
Good post.J
Some things depend. Maybe I wouldn't use the term "wholeheartedly" disagree. But there are a lot of assumptions that I would want to clear up. The "average joe" is hard to figure. Is he a guy who weighed 180 in college, never really played sports, and is now 225? Or was he 225 in college, still the same weight at 25, and maybe played a little football in high school. Huge difference to me. But still, size is size, to some extent.In the three scenarios, if the "average guy" is somewhat athletic (assumption: lettered in a high school sport), still under 30 years old, and still in half-way decent shape, I'd probably bet on him in the latter two situations. If he had ANY ring experience, then I could be convinced to take him in the first. Your average 225 pound, overweight, father-of-tow accountant? Not so much.

Here's my real-world example: When I was in college I fought ameture boxing at light middleweight (156#) and middleweight (165#). I was decent, but not world class (generally would win my state GG tournament pretty readily, but outclassed at regional and national level matches). Our gym got a fair amount of local bouncers and/or muscleheads who wanted to come in and spar. Occassionally, if the coach was feeling his oats, he'd let me or another kid spar them, maybe bloody up their noses a little. And I gotta tell you, anybody who weighed around 250 pounds were SCARY dangerous (Often times, I couldn't touch them because I had to respect their power). I could handle most of them -- BARELY-- at 165 pounds. So I could never in a million years imagine our 125 pounder handling them. And our lightweight was a national-caliber ameture, much better in his weight class than I was.

I can't speak about the pros, but an ameture coach would be insane to allow his 125 pound guy spar a 250 homeless guy, much less in shape college student. Even if his ameture guy was one of the best in the country.

:rolleyes: I am shocked this thread has gone 6 pages.

My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches. That combined with the fact that a featherweight punch wouldnt hurt me as much as a heavier fighter means that I seriously doubt the featherweight would destroy me in the 1st round. BUT punches to my ribs and back would still hurt quite a bit. So the conclusion I came up with my friends is that I would probably last around 5 rounds before Id be completely tired as hell and those punches to the ribs would take their toll. I dont think there is little doubt a featherweight would beat someone like me eventually but I seriously doubt it would be an ### whipping in one round. Now if I was able to get in one hard punch on the featherweight he might go down but I think it would be very hard to get one clean punch in on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches.
Diego Corrales started at featherweight and was 5'10 1/2". When was the last time you took a left hook to the chin or liver from anyone?

I wonder how many people who think the featherweight could get beat, have ever seen a real boxer work the heavy bag.... then try it themselves. Watch the featherweight hit that bag and send it flying, then try hitting it yourself and barely see it move, and you'll know the outcome if the two were to fight in the ring.

GLLLLLLLLL
Good post.J
Some things depend. Maybe I wouldn't use the term "wholeheartedly" disagree. But there are a lot of assumptions that I would want to clear up. The "average joe" is hard to figure. Is he a guy who weighed 180 in college, never really played sports, and is now 225? Or was he 225 in college, still the same weight at 25, and maybe played a little football in high school. Huge difference to me. But still, size is size, to some extent.In the three scenarios, if the "average guy" is somewhat athletic (assumption: lettered in a high school sport), still under 30 years old, and still in half-way decent shape, I'd probably bet on him in the latter two situations. If he had ANY ring experience, then I could be convinced to take him in the first. Your average 225 pound, overweight, father-of-tow accountant? Not so much.

Here's my real-world example: When I was in college I fought ameture boxing at light middleweight (156#) and middleweight (165#). I was decent, but not world class (generally would win my state GG tournament pretty readily, but outclassed at regional and national level matches). Our gym got a fair amount of local bouncers and/or muscleheads who wanted to come in and spar. Occassionally, if the coach was feeling his oats, he'd let me or another kid spar them, maybe bloody up their noses a little. And I gotta tell you, anybody who weighed around 250 pounds were SCARY dangerous (Often times, I couldn't touch them because I had to respect their power). I could handle most of them -- BARELY-- at 165 pounds. So I could never in a million years imagine our 125 pounder handling them. And our lightweight was a national-caliber ameture, much better in his weight class than I was.

I can't speak about the pros, but an ameture coach would be insane to allow his 125 pound guy spar a 250 homeless guy, much less in shape college student. Even if his ameture guy was one of the best in the country.
I think you're moving both ends of the spectrum to the middle to make it closer.#1. We're talking about real professional boxers here. I think most assume good pros as bad pros don't last very long. That's a pretty big jump from a Golden Glove fighter.

And we're talking "average" guy for the FBG'er. I know it's shocking given the talk here, but that's a pretty big jump from the tough guy / bouncer.

J

Z Machine -- here is another weird kind of example. I will link to an intriguing (but very long) article about the gym that I came up in. Fantastic place. All the people referenced in it were (an some still are) my good friends and sparing partners. Donnell and I were sparring partners, and best friends, for a while in the mid-90s. We went in different directions when I went to law school and he turned pro, but we try and keep up with one another as much as we can, a few times a year. Interestingly, we both named out kids after coach Morgan (I gave my son the name Morgan as a middle name, and Donnell one-upped me the next year by giving his son the first name Morgan). I can honestly say that I wouldn't be were I am today without my coach.

Boxing Center -- Wilmington, NC

The Center

A small-town boxing center is rich in results

s.d. liddick

A cold wind blows off the Cape Fear River on a steel-gray twilight in the winter of 1997. Two young men exit the Wilmington Boxing Center, heavily wrapped in sweat clothes, and begin jogging north toward the train tracks. An elevated pickup peels wheels, pulling onto Fourth Street as a garbled, barely audible “######s” tumbles out to the street. Inside the gym, the nervous energy of live sparring is palpable in the chill air.

In the middle of the building’s venerable old ring, Donnell Holmes and William High are completely absorbed in one of the world’s oldest and sincerest forms of dialogue. Unspoken but unequivocal statements are anticipated, received and answered in turn; assertions are underwritten with exertion, and losses are paid in pain. Holmes is into his 10th round—High is his third fresh opponent.

High is a no-nonsense longshoreman with an easy smile and a shaved brown head. At 31, he is the oldest (and largest) man on Coach’s team. He has a broad face and looks like Charles Barkley underneath bulky, sweat-soaked headgear. He wears two weighty jerseys, and his sweat is dripping onto the canvas; he has to lose 5 pounds for the team’s next fight, which is two weeks away. He has Holmes in the far corner of the ring, and he is parlaying his 40-pound weight advantage into a defense against the much quicker light-heavyweight. With his right shoulder, he’s pinioning the younger man’s tall, thin frame into the corner buckle and thudding body shots into his tight midsection.

Donnell Holmes is tall and olive-skinned with a broad, flat nose and a contagious smile. With his clean good looks, he embodies the notion of youthful confidence. Though he is given to brash statements, in the ring he is all business; he has won more than 100 USA Boxing (Amateur Boxing Association) fights—the majority by knockout—and he plans on one day being champion of the world. He has traveled to several countries with the U.S. National Team, but his heart belongs to the small burg of Ivanhoe, North Carolina. Until the mid-’90s (and the emergence of a girl named Fabian), he was the Wilmington Boxing Center’s only real shot at national recognition.

At 24, Holmes is a rail-thin professional trucker. Under layers of sopping wet sweat clothes, his muscles bulge through paper-thin skin. The 178-pound limit for his light-heavyweight division is about 15 pounds under the weight his DNA demands of his 6-foot-2 frame. But that’s where Morgan wants him, and that’s the weight he’s maintained for three years. Though talk between them is sparse and matter-of-fact, he’s as much of a son to Coach as flesh and blood would be.

The ropes are safe haven for the experienced—a redoubt to rest and catch wind—and Holmes is tired. He is hunched over in the corner, his gloves up protecting his face. He absorbs High’s body shots, and at the end of every barrage lets go with an uppercut. He’s aiming for the big man’s chin but finds only a defensive shield of forearms and 16-ounce gloves.

The two men are locked into position there, and neither has the apparent energy to take the debate back to the center of the ring. Coach watches from the far corner. Though this is one of dozens of sparring rounds he’ll see tonight, one of hundreds this week, no one mistakes the man’s dead-calm demeanor for lack of interest. The two men trading blows are like sons to him, and they are practicing a craft that, after nearly five decades, is more viscerally relevant to the aging man than religion.

Whack—whack—whack! High throws a three-punch combination into Donnell’s midsection. The graceful light-heavyweight pulls in his elbows and absorbs the blows with gloves and forearms. Mechanically, he counters with a three-punch barrage of his own, a whistling exhale marking the exertion. The last shot, a right cross, lands firmly on the side of the big man’s head. High burrows back into him, pushing hard into the corner buckle. It’s clear the shot has found its mark.

“####,” the heavyweight spits from behind an oversized mouthpiece, and adjusts his headgear.

Coach watches from the far corner while untying the gloves of a panting, junior-age athlete. A bevy of other boxers surrounds the ring, following the action as they labor through a regimented workout; three to five rounds of sparring are followed by eight rounds on the heavy bags and 10 more on the jump rope.

A boxer named Rico, done with his workout and already in street clothes, watches with a devilish grin. The 26-year-old is an on-again, off-again member of the team. He stands just over 6 feet, with a medium build, and is as black as a moonless Carolina night. He carries a menacing, cold-blooded Jervay projects stare. If it weren’t for Coach’s guidance and grounding, he’d probably be dead or in jail.

“Hit him, High,” Rico yells across the ring.

High recovers from the right cross to the head and throws a barrage of body punches in answer.

“One-two to the body, then come up to the head,” Rico yells. “Punish him.”

Donnell wraps High’s arms, stands straight up and arches his back, pulling the bigger man into the safety of the corner. He looks over the heavyweight’s shoulder and glares at Rico. The two young men go back many years. They have beaten the blood out of each other in that same ring, watched as the other was knocked unconscious in competition and shared thousands of arduous and painful moments in the old gym. A mediocre boxer despite his stormy temper, Rico is clearly having fun with his celebrated teammate.

“He ain’t nothin’, High,” he says. “He overrated. He scared.”

Releasing the armlock, Donnell throws a quick barrage into High’s midsection and brings a right cross back to the head. The longshoreman curses in frustration at being caught with the same combination, and throws one in defense.

“Bring the uppercut,” Rico yells. “He got a weak chin—bring the uppercut.”

The action lulls as High burrows the smaller man into the corner. Donnell brings his arms in for a protective covering and looks over High’s hunched shoulder.

“This one’s for you, Rico,” he yells across the ring. He lets go with another rapid barrage to the body and then brings a right uppercut to High’s waiting chin. The shot lifts the heavyweight’s head with a whack. A dozen sets of eyes wince around the ring. The big man is hurt and instinctively wraps Donnell’s arms, leaning hard into the corner.

“Come back right away,” Rico yells. “Go to the body, he can’t take the body shots—he weak.”

“You want body?” Donnell yells back.

Turning his right shoulder into the bigger man and then rotating his left into the action, he frees up space between them. High’s gloves go up, forming a protective shield in front of his face. Whack—whack—whack ... whack! Donnell lets go with a four-punch combination to the gut. It ends with a punishing uppercut to the solar plexus. The crisp, clear whistling sound of his own exhaling is followed by the gasping sound of High losing his wind. The big man instinctively drops his elbows to protect the midsection, and Donnell goes back to the head with a three-punch combination. The heavyweight is stunned and gropes awkwardly to tie up the smaller man.

“You got ’im now, High, come right back,” Rico yells through a wide grin.

“Shut up,” High spits from around his mouthpiece.

“You want some more, Rico?” Donnell says from within the confines of High’s tie-up.

“You lookin’ sloppy,” Rico calls back.

“Shut up,” High says as Donnell extricates his long arms from the bigger man’s grasp.

“How ’bout this,” Donnell says as he throws another barrage to the body.

High’s shoulders drop as he moves to protect his midsection.

“You like that one, Rico?”

“That all you got?” Rico rejoins.

“Shut up,” High spits through his mouthpiece.

Donnell goes low, into High’s protective elbow, waits two beats and then goes again for the body. High absorbs the shots with a gasping exhale.

“How ’bout this,” Donnell says, throwing another body barrage and then going for the head.

“That’s enough,” Coach yells succinctly, and all conversation stops.

The 10-second warning bell sounds on the round clock, and Donnell sidesteps, turns and maneuvers High onto the corner buckle, all in one graceful move. He throws two final three-punch combinations, catching the side of High’s head with back-to-back hooks. The end-of-round bell calls out shrilly, and both men drop their gloves, exhausted. High sags into the corner as Donnell moves to talk with Coach and suck down water.

Minutes later, the two men step wearily out of the ring, and another of the center’s rising stars ducks in. National featherweight contender Deirdre Fabian moves lithely around the ring, throwing shadow punches followed by the crisp sounds of exhaling. The physical education teacher and fourth-year boxer is completely focused—she’s pushing for her second Golden Gloves berth at the 1998 championships in Anaheim, California.

Taking the ring with her is a fresh face at the center, Brenda Gerringer, who stands almost 6 inches taller than Fabian and enjoys a 20-pound weight advantage. She’s trained for three short months in a gym in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and has traveled 45 minutes north to Wilmington for Coach’s fabled guidance. Over the phone, she boldly told the man that she’ll be fighting for the Golden Gloves title in the coming year.

It’s almost 8 o’clock, workouts are winding down, and the small throng of boxers is thinning. Donnell and High find heavy bags for their post-sparring workout rounds as Coach talks with Gerringer. His voice is quiet and gentle, difficult to hear.

“I want you to come out strong,” he says to the newcomer. “I want to see what you got. But keep it under control. Keep it crisp.”

He sends her to the opposite corner—where High and Donnell had been entangled minutes before—and calls Fabian over for her pre-sparring talk. The nerves ratchet up in Fabian’s stomach as Coach squeezes water from a bottle over her mouthpiece and down her throat. Her head is covered with bulky, protective padding and the 16-ounce gloves look like basketballs on her hands.

“Go full speed,” Coach says, nonchalantly—almost as an aside—as he fidgets with the laces on her gloves and checks her headgear. “Don’t hold back.”

Though he’s saying only what needs to be said, and saying it calmly, Fabian comprehends she is to be an instrument in Coach’s first (and likely last) lesson to Gerringer. The young woman will either show her mettle or pay for her impudence. The clock chirps, indicating a minute to go before the beginning of the next round. Fabian shakes out her arms and throws a flurry of shadow punches; the nerves are crawling up her throat.

When the bell rings to start the round, Fabian heads briskly for Gerringer’s side of the ring. It’s her custom to intercept opponents in their own territory. Gerringer’s pretty face is puckered into something of a scowl by the tight headgear; long blonde hair falls out of the back of the piece. Her dark brown eyes widen with Fabian’s rapid approach.

She moves to meet the shorter woman near the center of the ring and leaves her gloves low. Gerringer doesn’t see the first shot coming, and Fabian snaps her head back with a stiff jab. That unambiguous shot to the nose has the same effect for virtually every boxer—an atavistic, instinctual brain process questions the absurdity of the situation and tells her, overwhelming and unmistakably, to exit by whatever means necessary.

Her sight and thought processes are momentarily stunned, and before she can blink through the funk, Fabian attacks the body and knocks the wind out of her. She nearly doubles over, and it’s all she can do to bring her elbows in for protection. That’s when she feels the first of two shots—a cross and a hook—that rock her head back. She hasn’t breathed since the onslaught started, and she’ll soon be gasping for air through the face-pinching headgear and around a bloated mouthpiece. Between gasps, Fabian will be punishing her already bleeding nose.

In the fleeting instant she’s afforded between barrages and the brutal stars-inducing sting of stiff shots to the head, Gerringer realizes that hell is in North Carolina; it will be hours before she’ll comprehend just how far away Anaheim is. She spends the next two minutes and 20 seconds backpedaling, taking nasty shots and looking desperately for protection on the ropes. Fabian is relentless. By the time the bell rings, Gerringer is physically exhausted and emotionally shot—and oblivious to the fact that Fabian has only been using her B-game. In three minutes, she hasn’t thrown a full-power punch.

In 1993, Coach left Fabian with one emphatic (and repeated) statement regarding her curiosity about boxing on his team: “I don’t train women.” But Fabian—a lifelong sports junkie who wrestled on the boys’ team in junior high—didn’t take rejection easily. She asked for a chance to train at the gym and Coach capitulated. She made it through his rigorous workouts, and the man’s intuition picked up on something, some intangible with special meaning for trainers who have watched the grueling sport for nearly half a century—the hint of a will that transcends gender and gets right to the hard nut of the kind of intestinal fortitude that can’t be taught. By 1994—a year after the courts forced USA Boxing to admit women—Fabian had opened the gender door at the center, and the girls came trickling in. By 2000, Coach would have a bevy of accomplished female athletes.

He would later say that in some ways women are better to coach than men. For starters, they listen. They listen to directions, and they carry them out. It’s amusing, he would say, that women talk and socialize with their opponents before fights; the men stay far apart or stare each other down in icy silence. But all traits have essentialist ramifications; those open and social feminine bearings bring with them an elevated state of emotion.

And so it wasn’t such a surprise that Gerringer wept after that first round under Fabian’s hard tutelage, wept right there in the middle of that four-posted altar to stoic male indifference—that sanctum of repressed emotion and hard demeanor. The display was born of stinging frustration and pain, and it came silently at first, then more discernibly, until it was almost uncontrollable.

The spectacle was a novel one in the old gym—a refreshing break from the same combinations thrown into the same bags, beneath the same stench of sweaty leather that melted one day into the next. However unaccustomed he might have been to spectacle and weeping pugilists, Coach was an old soul with a lifetime’s experience fixing the broken faces of his athletes. He comforted Gerringer’s tears away, packed her into her car and pointed her south on Highway 17. She headed back to Myrtle Beach and out of his life—for almost 18 hours.

Next day, Gerringer was back. And the day after that. In 1998, she went to the national tournament in Anaheim (though she didn’t place). Fabian lost a bloody and controversial split decision in that year’s featherweight title fight. In 1999, she won, giving Coach his first title belt since leaving the Army. A year later, she hung up her gloves—with about as much conviction as Michael Jordan and Mike Tyson.

In 2002, Coach was chosen to take the U.S. National Women’s Team to compete in Turkey. When he came home, he retired. Later that year, he was inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame in North Carolina and the Flint Afro-American Hall of Fame in Michigan. Today, he trains Donnell “The Real Touch of Sleep” Holmes, who is 25-0 as a professional heavyweight, and ranked number eight in the world with the WBC (World Boxing Council).

I think you're moving both ends of the spectrum to the middle to make it closer.#1. We're talking about real professional boxers here. I think most assume good pros as bad pros don't last very long. That's a pretty big jump from a Golden Glove fighter.And we're talking "average" guy for the FBG'er. I know it's shocking given the talk here, but that's a pretty big jump from the tough guy / bouncer.J
Yeah, I kind-of realized that after I posted. I am having second thoughts. Check out the article I posted, Joe. I think you'd enjoy it.

had a friend around 6 feet 300 pounds in the gym with a pro boxer who was around 145. said go. my friend bum rushed him, took him to the ground and that was it.

Z Machine -- here is another weird kind of example. I will link to an intriguing (but very long) article about the gym that I came up in. Fantastic place. All the people referenced in it were (an some still are) my good friends and sparing partners. Donnell and I were sparring partners, and best friends, for a while in the mid-90s. We went in different directions when I went to law school and he turned pro, but we try and keep up with one another as much as we can, a few times a year. Interestingly, we both named out kids after coach Morgan (I gave my son the name Morgan as a middle name, and Donnell one-upped me the next year by giving his son the first name Morgan). I can honestly say that I wouldn't be were I am today without my coach.

The Center

s.d. liddick

Thanks J. Good article. But we're talking about a "regular" guy vs a smaller well trained guy, right? Not two trained boxers?J

My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches.
Diego Corrales started at featherweight and was 5'10 1/2". When was the last time you took a left hook to the chin or liver from anyone?
This is Corrales at 149lbs. Pic at top of article.Take 25lbs off that frame (almost 20% of his mass). Are you kidding me? You would be able to wrap your hand around his biceps and thighs.

ETA - that 1/2" added on to his height is hilarious.... not trying to compensate are we?

The Center

s.d. liddick

Thanks J. Good article. But we're talking about a "regular" guy vs a smaller well trained guy, right? Not two trained boxers?J
Yes. I think I want to change my answer to "I have know idea, but I'd love to watch it play out."

The Center

s.d. liddick

Yes. I think I want to change my answer to "I have know idea, but I'd love to watch it play out."
:confused: Me too SJ. Obviously there is some interest there.J

Thanks J. Good article. But we're talking about a "regular" guy vs a smaller well trained guy, right? Not two trained boxers?
Not sure if the OP is still the center of discussion ... but the OP is a lot bigger and significantly more athletic than the "average" or "regular" guy.

This is Corrales at 149lbs. Pic at top of article.Take 25lbs off that frame (almost 20% of his mass). Are you kidding me? You would be able to wrap your hand around his biceps and thighs.

ETA - that 1/2" added on to his height is hilarious.... not trying to compensate are we?
Frail is a good word for this.

Sorry, that's what his height was listed at. Don't think he'll have to jump to hit you though. Here he is at 135. If you want to wrap your hands around his thighs that's your business. And unlike you, shadyridr is talking about a boxing match. Him saying his ribs may be a little sore after five rounds doesn't take into account that his internal organs would probably be bleeding in the first.

Sorry, that's what his height was listed at. Don't think he'll have to jump to hit you though. Here he is at 135. If you want to wrap your hands around his thighs that's your business. And unlike you, shadyridr is talking about a boxing match. Him saying his ribs may be a little sore after five rounds doesn't take into account that his internal organs would probably be bleeding in the first.
That pic is PERFECT.. good god his arms might snap if they got any skinnier... and they would have to after he lost 10 more pounds to get to 125lbs.

That pic is PERFECT.. good god his arms might snap if they got any skinnier... and they would have to after he lost 10 more pounds to get to 125lbs.
:hookinmouth: Are you saying you could shrug off a punch delivered from these skinny arms?Are we talking about fighting or bodybuilding here?

J

:hookinmouth: Are you saying you could shrug off a punch delivered from these skinny arms?Are we talking about fighting or bodybuilding here?

J
I am saying those pics do nothing but reaffirm my opinions already stated. And these pics are of a guy much bigger than the ones we are debating.

J
I am saying those pics do nothing but reaffirm my opinions already stated. And these pics are of a guy much bigger than the ones we are debating.
Do you think you could shrug off a punch delivered from those skinny arms?J

J
Do you think you could shrug off a punch delivered from those skinny arms?J
Better than he could one of mine. :goodposting: And to repeat - those arms are much bigger than the ones we are debating.... hard to even imagine, but true.

I think some people here are refusing to acknowledge just how small 125lbs is.

I think the thing that has the biggest similarity to this is the "toughman" competitions. However, I doubt there's a lot of guys getting into those that have NO fight training.

Can anyone speak on those? I've never been to one, and I sure as hell wouldn't fight in one. I get my ### handed to me regularly by guys that are 25 lbs. lighter than I. I'm about 170 right now and would fight at 154 is I were dumb enough to do so.

:confused: I am shocked this thread has gone 6 pages.My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches. That combined with the fact that a featherweight punch wouldnt hurt me as much as a heavier fighter means that I seriously doubt the featherweight would destroy me in the 1st round. BUT punches to my ribs and back would still hurt quite a bit. So the conclusion I came up with my friends is that I would probably last around 5 rounds before Id be completely tired as hell and those punches to the ribs would take their toll. I dont think there is little doubt a featherweight would beat someone like me eventually but I seriously doubt it would be an ### whipping in one round. Now if I was able to get in one hard punch on the featherweight he might go down but I think it would be very hard to get one clean punch in on them.
In a boxing match? You're delusional.

:confused: I am shocked this thread has gone 6 pages.My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches. That combined with the fact that a featherweight punch wouldnt hurt me as much as a heavier fighter means that I seriously doubt the featherweight would destroy me in the 1st round. BUT punches to my ribs and back would still hurt quite a bit. So the conclusion I came up with my friends is that I would probably last around 5 rounds before Id be completely tired as hell and those punches to the ribs would take their toll. I dont think there is little doubt a featherweight would beat someone like me eventually but I seriously doubt it would be an ### whipping in one round. Now if I was able to get in one hard punch on the featherweight he might go down but I think it would be very hard to get one clean punch in on them.
What? I think 100% of the time the featherweight boxer would beat me in a boxing match. But I dont think it would be a bloodbath in the 1st round.

:lmao: I am shocked this thread has gone 6 pages.

My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches. That combined with the fact that a featherweight punch wouldnt hurt me as much as a heavier fighter means that I seriously doubt the featherweight would destroy me in the 1st round. BUT punches to my ribs and back would still hurt quite a bit. So the conclusion I came up with my friends is that I would probably last around 5 rounds before Id be completely tired as hell and those punches to the ribs would take their toll. I dont think there is little doubt a featherweight would beat someone like me eventually but I seriously doubt it would be an ### whipping in one round. Now if I was able to get in one hard punch on the featherweight he might go down but I think it would be very hard to get one clean punch in on them.
What? I think 100% of the time the featherweight boxer would beat me in a boxing match. But I dont think it would be a bloodbath in the 1st round.
:lmao: The other thing to consider is that you (the bigger guy) wouldn't have to land a blow somewhere specific.

A hard swing from you that lands anywhere is sending a 125 pounder back a good distance.

ETA - screw a hard swing.. a jab will send 125lbs back.

:lmao: I am shocked this thread has gone 6 pages.

:lmao: The other thing to consider is that you (the bigger guy) wouldn't have to land a blow somewhere specific.

A hard swing from you that lands anywhere is sending a 125 pounder back a good distance.

ETA - screw a hard swing.. a jab will send 125lbs back.
screw the jab. Just a mean grimmace will make the 125-pounder pee his pants.

:lmao: I am shocked this thread has gone 6 pages.My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches. That combined with the fact that a featherweight punch wouldnt hurt me as much as a heavier fighter means that I seriously doubt the featherweight would destroy me in the 1st round. BUT punches to my ribs and back would still hurt quite a bit. So the conclusion I came up with my friends is that I would probably last around 5 rounds before Id be completely tired as hell and those punches to the ribs would take their toll. I dont think there is little doubt a featherweight would beat someone like me eventually but I seriously doubt it would be an ### whipping in one round. Now if I was able to get in one hard punch on the featherweight he might go down but I think it would be very hard to get one clean punch in on them.
There is zero chance the average FBG is going 5 rounds in a boxing ring with a professional boxer.

:lmao: I am shocked this thread has gone 6 pages.My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches. That combined with the fact that a featherweight punch wouldnt hurt me as much as a heavier fighter means that I seriously doubt the featherweight would destroy me in the 1st round. BUT punches to my ribs and back would still hurt quite a bit. So the conclusion I came up with my friends is that I would probably last around 5 rounds before Id be completely tired as hell and those punches to the ribs would take their toll. I dont think there is little doubt a featherweight would beat someone like me eventually but I seriously doubt it would be an ### whipping in one round. Now if I was able to get in one hard punch on the featherweight he might go down but I think it would be very hard to get one clean punch in on them.
There is zero chance the average FBG is going 5 rounds in a boxing ring with a professional boxer.
What if it was a female boxer? Or should that be a new thread?

What if it was a female boxer? Or should that be a new thread?
:honda:

How much fight training do you have, shady?If the answer is anything other than "a lot", it would be a blood bath in the first round. He will hit you repeatedly in the face. The pain from the first shot to the nose will disorient you. Then your eyes will flood and you won't be able to see half as well. Then he will go to town. Trust me, it would be ugly.It doesn't mean you're not tough or in shape. He knows things and has skills you don't. J

How much fight training do you have, shady?If the answer is anything other than "a lot", it would be a blood bath in the first round. He will hit you repeatedly in the face. The pain from the first shot to the nose will disorient you. Then your eyes will flood and you won't be able to see half as well. Then he will go to town. Trust me, it would be ugly.It doesn't mean you're not tough or in shape. He knows things and has skills you don't. J
:lmao: Couldn't have said it better. He will hit you so many times before you can even react to his punches you'll be down in minutes.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm guessing from it's length that some are saying they'd stand a chance. If we're talking a no-rules fight you'd have a chance if you could grapple the guy - even then, the dude is going to be very wiry, quick and "slippery".

In a boxing match you wouldn't stand a chance. You'd never land a punch and you would never see his coming.

:D I am shocked this thread has gone 6 pages.My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches. That combined with the fact that a featherweight punch wouldnt hurt me as much as a heavier fighter means that I seriously doubt the featherweight would destroy me in the 1st round. BUT punches to my ribs and back would still hurt quite a bit. So the conclusion I came up with my friends is that I would probably last around 5 rounds before Id be completely tired as hell and those punches to the ribs would take their toll. I dont think there is little doubt a featherweight would beat someone like me eventually but I seriously doubt it would be an ### whipping in one round. Now if I was able to get in one hard punch on the featherweight he might go down but I think it would be very hard to get one clean punch in on them.
I am not saying you are wrong. I honestly have no clue. Thats why I posted it and thought it was a cool debate. That being said have YOU ever had any fighting training? Because it sounds like you are 100% sure a few punches from a professional boxer who weighs 125 lbs would be very painful. Im not saying it wouldnt be, just that you are so matter of fact about it.

For the boxing question shady, it's really easy to answer.

Go down to the local boxing gym and tell the owner what you're thinking. As Sweetj said, it's not that uncommon. Suit up and spar with a guy that is really good. (understanding he's far from a professional) It'll be a good experience for you. It was for me.

J

:D Couldn't have said it better. He will hit you so many times before you can even react to his punches you'll be down in minutes.
But will those punches hurt? How do you know for sure? Would be pretty cool to see if there are any studies out there measuring the difference of the strength by weight class.

I'm willing to bet that a 125 pound professional boxer can generate more punching power than the average 200 pound man.
Take it down to a 20-35 year old 200 pound man and you've got a bet.Those guys don't even hurt each other. It's all technical. Seriously. They are too small. This is not an ego thing with me. I'll easily admit most males will beat my ###. But these dudes are like 12-year-old girl small. No way.
I think you only feel this way because you are watching them box/fight other qualified people who don't take many clean shots right to the kisser. Even last night Mayweather who I think is one of the weaker boxers had damaged De La Hoya's eye in the 1st few rounds. These guys look like they may be slapping at each other but sub yourself for the other dude and you are bleeding like a stuck pig because you have no clue how to move or defend your face. Don't mean this directly at you zilla, just in general. Most people suck at fighting, hence a pro is gonna bust you up 10 out of 10 times.
OK I've admitted in a ring any of us would lose (by decision and with a considerable amount of long-term body soreness). But we're talking street fight, where you can grab this ewok and put him on the wall. No chance? I don't think so.
No way he gets close enough to grab the "scrappy midget". Those guys are incredibly fast, strong (for there size) and agile. POP POP POP... Blood and pain... POP POP POP POP... More blood and much more pain. Anger and a bull rush... wake up in hospital, face feeling like it was pounded with a sledge hammer.

For the boxing question shady, it's really easy to answer.Go down to the local boxing gym and tell the owner what you're thinking. As Sweetj said, it's not that uncommon. Suit up and spar with a guy that is really good. (understanding he's far from a professional) It'll be a good experience for you. It was for me.J
I wasnt trying to sound cocky. I honestly have no clue how much a punch from a 125lb boxer would feel and I doubt many posting in this thread do as well.

:D I am shocked this thread has gone 6 pages.My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches. That combined with the fact that a featherweight punch wouldnt hurt me as much as a heavier fighter means that I seriously doubt the featherweight would destroy me in the 1st round. BUT punches to my ribs and back would still hurt quite a bit. So the conclusion I came up with my friends is that I would probably last around 5 rounds before Id be completely tired as hell and those punches to the ribs would take their toll. I dont think there is little doubt a featherweight would beat someone like me eventually but I seriously doubt it would be an ### whipping in one round. Now if I was able to get in one hard punch on the featherweight he might go down but I think it would be very hard to get one clean punch in on them.
I am not saying you are wrong. I honestly have no clue. Thats why I posted it and thought it was a cool debate. That being said have YOU ever had any fighting training? Because it sounds like you are 100% sure a few punches from a professional boxer who weighs 125 lbs would be very painful. Im not saying it wouldnt be, just that you are so matter of fact about it.
Hi shady,Yes I've had boxing training. I'm speaking from experience.I was the big Texas HS football stud and couldn't believe they would let me spar with a guy 30 pounds lighter. 30 seconds later and 6 punches to the nose (fortunately with those giant 16oz gloves that are like pillows) later that I never saw coming made me a believer.J

For the boxing question shady, it's really easy to answer.Go down to the local boxing gym and tell the owner what you're thinking. As Sweetj said, it's not that uncommon. Suit up and spar with a guy that is really good. (understanding he's far from a professional) It'll be a good experience for you. It was for me.J
I wasnt trying to sound cocky. I honestly have no clue how much a punch from a 125lb boxer would feel and I doubt many posting in this thread do as well.
Seriously though, you should do this. Video tape it and we can all make sig bets here.It could be the FBG version of the Pros vs Joes thing. You should seriously do this.J

:goodposting: I am shocked this thread has gone 6 pages.My opinion was this. I think alot of you guys are forgeting the fact that the featherweight boxer would have to basically jump up to hit me in the face. This removes ALOT of power from his punches. That combined with the fact that a featherweight punch wouldnt hurt me as much as a heavier fighter means that I seriously doubt the featherweight would destroy me in the 1st round. BUT punches to my ribs and back would still hurt quite a bit. So the conclusion I came up with my friends is that I would probably last around 5 rounds before Id be completely tired as hell and those punches to the ribs would take their toll. I dont think there is little doubt a featherweight would beat someone like me eventually but I seriously doubt it would be an ### whipping in one round. Now if I was able to get in one hard punch on the featherweight he might go down but I think it would be very hard to get one clean punch in on them.
Hi shady,Yes I've had boxing training. I'm speaking from experience.I was the big Texas HS football stud and couldn't believe they would let me spar with a guy 30 pounds lighter. 30 seconds later and 6 punches to the nose (fortunately with those giant 16oz gloves that are like pillows) later that I never saw coming made me a believer.J
This I would absolutley believe and agree with.But 30 lbs and 100lbs are not in the same universe.

i'd lay down money to see the average FBG fight a featherweight, bare knuckles.we could have Dentist on standby for the emergency dental work our FBG is gonna need.
I'm not doing it, because I value my nuts, and I'm under 6'0" so I don't technically qualify for the current argument. But I'm down for $200 on matuski.
I would pay $100 to watch this fight. I would place a substantial amount more on the featherweight winning. A good night's entertainment and a big boost to the bank account all rolled into one.

Users who are viewing this thread