What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would happen if I fought a featherweight boxer? (1 Viewer)

i havent read the whole thing but im 5'8 267 (maurice jones build) and theres no way one of those little guys are gonna be able to take 1 of my punches. add in my reach and it shouldn't be a contest.
You assume you would actually have a chance of connecting. Which you would not.
you assume i have no skills. :goodposting: i've been in plenty of brawls. i can hold my own.
Can you define "brawl"?J
not much to define. just your normal fist fights.in the ring i think i could drop a featherweight when i connect on his jaw.
(1) You wouldnt connect on his anything(2) He has been trained to take a punch and I bet the pro's he faces, at their far lighter weight, can do at least close to and likely more damage than your punch, especially since you would be lucky just to glance him(3) Seeing as you likely wont even hit him, what happens when he connects with you, just enough to phase you... then he hits again. Then again. And again. Within about 3 seconds of each other.
this thread has been great due to the lack of bragging/machisimo... lets keep it that way? :lmao:

Regardless of what I've said (and still stick by) I will be doing this for the experience and to see for myself what a guy that size can do.With that in mind: I am not interested in a bareknuckle fight... I am not interested in hurting someone nor being hurt by someone (I'm up for whatever with gloves and headgear). I will box the guy... lets start with the original premise of the thread. We can do sequels or something if the boxing goes well!
Awesome.
:goodposting: :lmao:

Regardless of what I've said (and still stick by) I will be doing this for the experience and to see for myself what a guy that size can do.With that in mind: I am not interested in a bareknuckle fight... I am not interested in hurting someone nor being hurt by someone (I'm up for whatever with gloves and headgear). I will box the guy... lets start with the original premise of the thread. We can do sequels or something if the boxing goes well!
Awesome.
hehe I hope so.. haven't been in a fight since I was 18. i better be right!

Genedoc said:
JZilla said:
If matuski gets permanently injured, can he sue Joe?
There will be a waiver involved, I'm sure. There's enough lawyers on the board to make Joe judgment proof. :goodposting:
With all the legal studs on here, surely you guys can work me up something to cover my butt. I'll need it.J
Definitely let's do it normal boxing style as you say. Headgear and supervised and all. I think you're right, let's do this one and then we can make a sequel.J

Awesome.
:goodposting: :lmao: :shock: :o :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Genedoc said:
JZilla said:
There will be a waiver involved, I'm sure. There's enough lawyers on the board to make Joe judgment proof. :goodposting:
With all the legal studs on here, surely you guys can work me up something to cover my butt. I'll need it.J
Definitely let's do it normal boxing style as you say. Headgear and supervised and all. I think you're right, let's do this one and then we can make a sequel.J
Amateur Style - 3, 3 minute rds? That's another factor. The little guy can just dance in and out taking shots for 2 rounds. By the 3rd Matsuki or Shady or Ned would be gasping for breath, way too tired to throw an effective punch and the little guy would let the hands go. It wouldn't be pretty.

Awesome.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
This is the best post yet. You will be fine Matuski, you are FRESH!

i havent read the whole thing but im 5'8 267 (maurice jones build) and theres no way one of those little guys are gonna be able to take 1 of my punches. add in my reach and it shouldn't be a contest.
What reach? You're 5'8""

Genedoc said:
JZilla said:
There will be a waiver involved, I'm sure. There's enough lawyers on the board to make Joe judgment proof. :lmao:
Amateur Style - 3, 3 minute rds? That's another factor. The little guy can just dance in and out taking shots for 2 rounds. By the 3rd At the end of the first round Matsuki or Shady or Ned would be gasping for breath, way too tired to throw an effective punch and the little guy would let the hands go. It wouldn't be pretty.
Fixed

Genedoc said:
JZilla said:
There will be a waiver involved, I'm sure. There's enough lawyers on the board to make Joe judgment proof. :lmao:
Amateur Style - 3, 3 minute rds? That's another factor. The little guy can just dance in and out taking shots for 2 rounds. By the 3rd Matsuki or Shady or Ned would be gasping for breath, way too tired to throw an effective punch and the little guy would let the hands go. It wouldn't be pretty.
Drifter knows what he's talking about in here. Unless you've done it before and are trained for it, you've no idea how physically exhausting three minutes of boxing is. You could wear a full on football helmet and get destroyed - one real punch to your unprepared midsection and you're going to swear you're dying. Those guys know how to work the body, and can deliver crippling body punches. Only way this is entertaining is if the featherweight takes requests. "No punches thrown for 5 minutes solid, then break his fourth rib on his right side".

Mat is such a good sport I'll be pulling for him!

I still think he gets his ### handed to him, but I'll be pulling for him!

so im wrong because im assuming yet everyone is assuming about me... :lmao:
If you'd given us no information whatsoever, we'd be assuming. That's not the case. You've given us your height and weight in addition to some other information, and based on that we're making educated guesses about your physical stamina and speed. That's not the same things as assuming.

Another option for Matuski... I live in Dallas and have a guy that works for me who boxes Golden Gloves. I'm sure he could set something up for you. He's bigger than a featherweight, but I bet he knows someone who you could fight.

just so everyone is clear:

this won't be happening tomorrow or anything.

if I am going to Seattle (if i get the offer I'm hoping for), I will be going up there this week or next. but I won't have time early on to do this.

unfortunately i will have to prioritize little things like finding a place to live, moving my wife and kid, selling my house, and learning my new position and territory first.

i am not saying it won't happen at all, and i won't back out on this.... just keeping expectations and timelines in reality.

What reach? You're 5'8""
im long limbed.my dress shirts are 35/36.
Do you have a very hairy back? I'm just sayin'... because I'm trying to determine if I should be picturing you as a doughboy or a big, round monkey.

just so everyone is clear:this won't be happening tomorrow or anything.if I am going to Seattle (if i get the offer I'm hoping for), I will be going up there this week or next. but I won't have time early on to do this.unfortunately i will have to prioritize little things like finding a place to live, moving my wife and kid, selling my house, and learning my new position and territory first.i am not saying it won't happen at all, and i won't back out on this.... just keeping expectations and timelines in reality.
OIC... Chase down?

just so everyone is clear:this won't be happening tomorrow or anything.if I am going to Seattle (if i get the offer I'm hoping for), I will be going up there this week or next. but I won't have time early on to do this.unfortunately i will have to prioritize little things like finding a place to live, moving my wife and kid, selling my house, and learning my new position and territory first.i am not saying it won't happen at all, and i won't back out on this.... just keeping expectations and timelines in reality.
OIC... Chase down?
what does this mean?

proninja said:
Awesome. Keep me updated, and let me know if/when you can do it. Either way, if you've got free time, call me and I'll buy you a beer for being such a good sport in here :thumbup:By the way, thanks for the tip on spelling your name. I think I just realized why the emails I sent commenting on the wine you sent went unanswered :bag:
doh.. yea I never got em.i am really hoping I get the offer, and frankly i'm really hoping i can do this.if not i'll need to look around in austin (i think I saw a gym in south austin with kick-boxing and jiu-jitsu) for a place i can walk into without wondering if my car is gonna be there when i return.

i haven't read through this whole thread, so i'm not sure if this has been stated yet. if you enter a random local gym and ask to box one of their fighters, they very well may ask you to sign up & pay like any normal member would -even if it's a month long membership for a 1 time fight. they'll probably say they need you to do this for legal reasons & signing all the waivers n stuff. they won't want to be liable if you get your ### kicked :rolleyes:

i haven't read through this whole thread, so i'm not sure if this has been stated yet. if you enter a random local gym and ask to box one of their fighters, they very well may ask you to sign up & pay like any normal member would -even if it's a month long membership for a 1 time fight. they'll probably say they need you to do this for legal reasons & signing all the waivers n stuff. they won't want to be liable if you get your ### kicked :rolleyes:
can you tell me why all my local gyms are in gangland or the ghetto?

i haven't read through this whole thread, so i'm not sure if this has been stated yet. if you enter a random local gym and ask to box one of their fighters, they very well may ask you to sign up & pay like any normal member would -even if it's a month long membership for a 1 time fight. they'll probably say they need you to do this for legal reasons & signing all the waivers n stuff. they won't want to be liable if you get your ### kicked :yes:
This may come as a bit of a surprise to you but most boxers don't come from upper middle class neighborhoods. In Austin you may be down to the Montopolis or Rosewood/Zaragosa areas. About 15 years ago their was a typical (dark, dank, humid, cigar smoke smelling) gym 6 - 8 blocks east of I-35 on 10th or 12th street. Can't remember the name but you could try driving around and see if it (or another one) is in the area. :rolleyes:

i haven't read through this whole thread, so i'm not sure if this has been stated yet. if you enter a random local gym and ask to box one of their fighters, they very well may ask you to sign up & pay like any normal member would -even if it's a month long membership for a 1 time fight. they'll probably say they need you to do this for legal reasons & signing all the waivers n stuff. they won't want to be liable if you get your ### kicked :yes:
:rolleyes: what do you mean? where are you from again? --- nevermind i see you're from austin. i dunno nuthin bout austin.

Last edited by a moderator:
looking to go on vacation?

i haven't read through this whole thread, so i'm not sure if this has been stated yet. if you enter a random local gym and ask to box one of their fighters, they very well may ask you to sign up & pay like any normal member would -even if it's a month long membership for a 1 time fight. they'll probably say they need you to do this for legal reasons & signing all the waivers n stuff. they won't want to be liable if you get your ### kicked :lmao:
looking to go on vacation?
:wall:

i haven't read through this whole thread, so i'm not sure if this has been stated yet. if you enter a random local gym and ask to box one of their fighters, they very well may ask you to sign up & pay like any normal member would -even if it's a month long membership for a 1 time fight. they'll probably say they need you to do this for legal reasons & signing all the waivers n stuff. they won't want to be liable if you get your ### kicked :wall:
Why should you care? After you kick the featherweights ### you can beat up some gangbangers on the way out.

i haven't read through this whole thread, so i'm not sure if this has been stated yet. if you enter a random local gym and ask to box one of their fighters, they very well may ask you to sign up & pay like any normal member would -even if it's a month long membership for a 1 time fight. they'll probably say they need you to do this for legal reasons & signing all the waivers n stuff. they won't want to be liable if you get your ### kicked :P
This may come as a bit of a surprise to you but most boxers don't come from upper middle class neighborhoods. In Austin you may be down to the Montopolis or Rosewood/Zaragosa areas. About 15 years ago their was a typical (dark, dank, humid, cigar smoke smelling) gym 6 - 8 blocks east of I-35 on 10th or 12th street. Can't remember the name but you could try driving around and see if it (or another one) is in the area. :wall:
I'm thinking here - South Austin Gym :lmao:

i haven't read through this whole thread, so i'm not sure if this has been stated yet. if you enter a random local gym and ask to box one of their fighters, they very well may ask you to sign up & pay like any normal member would -even if it's a month long membership for a 1 time fight. they'll probably say they need you to do this for legal reasons & signing all the waivers n stuff. they won't want to be liable if you get your ### kicked :P
This may come as a bit of a surprise to you but most boxers don't come from upper middle class neighborhoods. In Austin you may be down to the Montopolis or Rosewood/Zaragosa areas. About 15 years ago their was a typical (dark, dank, humid, cigar smoke smelling) gym 6 - 8 blocks east of I-35 on 10th or 12th street. Can't remember the name but you could try driving around and see if it (or another one) is in the area. :wall:
I'm thinking here - South Austin Gym :lmao:
that looks fine ... i'd call a few and see if they have many people in their featherweight class, and if they do, they would need to be willing to fight a random big guy like you

matuski,

Here are a few places in Austin that aren't in horrible neighborhoods, although they are all north of the river:

Bruce's

Lord's

L A Boxing

Are you going into training, getting a few tips, something else?

This may come as a bit of a surprise to you but most boxers don't come from upper middle class neighborhoods. In Austin you may be down to the Montopolis or Rosewood/Zaragosa areas. About 15 years ago their was a typical (dark, dank, humid, cigar smoke smelling) gym 6 - 8 blocks east of I-35 on 10th or 12th street. Can't remember the name but you could try driving around and see if it (or another one) is in the area. :thumbup:
I'm thinking here - South Austin Gym :shrug:
That should work. Ignore my posting on the North Austin gyms.

matuski,

Here are a few places in Austin that aren't in horrible neighborhoods, although they are all north of the river:

Bruce's

Lord's

L A Boxing

Are you going into training, getting a few tips, something else?
no - just looking for alternatives if seattle falls through. if i do austin i'll have you film it.this way a longhorn can watch the aggie go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Darchinyan

Darchinyan is known as a power puncher which is seen as unusual for a flyweight. In his third title defence, he displayed his power by knocking out Diosdado Gabi with a single straight left. In his last two fights he broke Glenn Donaire's jaw and knocked out Victor Burgos in the 12th round, who later underwent surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain. Darchinyan is looking forward towards his fight with Jorge Arce, a Mexican flyweight. He has a current record of 28-0, with 22 wins coming by way of knockout.
:thumbup:

Darchinyan is known as a power puncher which is seen as unusual for a flyweight. In his third title defence, he displayed his power by knocking out Diosdado Gabi with a single straight left. In his last two fights he broke Glenn Donaire's jaw and knocked out Victor Burgos in the 12th round, who later underwent surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain. Darchinyan is looking forward towards his fight with Jorge Arce, a Mexican flyweight. He has a current record of 28-0, with 22 wins coming by way of knockout.
:football:
108 lbs!? wtf.... :boxing: :yes:

if we assume the 200 pound amateur has no idea how to defend himself, wouldn't the boxing match just be the 125 pound boxer hitting him over and over and over and over again?even if they don't have much punching power, if someone hits you 300 times or whatever, I'm sure there would be a cumulative effect.
:goodposting:

I nominate this guy.No way he can hurt a FBG!

108 lbs!? wtf.... :lmao: :lmao:
You could take him.This is going to be great. :D

For those who don't think 6 inches and 100 pounds make a difference, isn't there a threshold somewhere where the size overtakes the punching skill?

What about 10 inches and 200 pounds?

At some point I think we all have to coincide that some differential in size, weight and strength would tip the scale. I'm not sure exactly where that is, but 100 pounds of muscle seems like a lot to me.
I disagree especially in a street fight. If you consider arm locks and ankle locks size means even less.
OMFGLOL

I am your size (6'2", 225lbs) and I have had this debate with friends many times.

I say with certainty I can woop any 5ft nothing 115-125lb guy pretty much regardless of boxing or other skills.

It would be like fighting a fourth grade boxer.
Regardless of boxing or other skills? How about this guy: 130 lbs.
COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from a featherweight boxer.
Matuski's statement wasn't limited to boxers.
I thought we were limiting this to the featherweight boxers and thinking terms of the fight last night. The whole point is that this guy is only a trained boxer, period. Bruce Lee is a trained martial arts FIGHTER. The guy is all about no-holds-barred ### kicking. That's essentially the same as a super awesome street fighter.I don't know about anyone else, but this would change my answer dramatically.
Matuski was clearly talking about more than just boxers. That's why he said he could "woop any 5ft nothing 115-125lb guy pretty much regardless of boxing or other skills." Hell, he'd probably have truble with this guy as well.
Who is in his pocket?

Users who are viewing this thread