What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia Is Not the Longest Name In Baseball (1 Viewer)

_4_

Footballguy
It was stated in another thread that Jarrod Saltalamacchia was the longest name in baseball - it may be this year....I don't know....but I know it isn't the longest name in baseball history - I am sure one of you knows the longest name in baseball history.

Extra Credit if you come up with it without the aid of a search engine!

MLB history was made Wednesday night in Atlanta, where Braves call-up Jarrod Saltalamacchia made his big league debut, an event of keen interest to the many (OK, several) onomastically inclined fans who've been obsessively tracking his progress through the Braves' farm system in recent years. That's because Saltalamacchia's 14-letter surname is the lengthiest in MLB history. His appearance broke a longstanding logjam atop baseball's longest-name leader board, where the record had previously been shared by such 13-letter wonders as Kirk Dressendorfer, William VanLandingham, Steve Wojciechowski, Todd Hollandsworth and the immortal Tim Spooneybarger.

Saltalamacchia's glory comes at the expense of baseball's other 14-letter prospect, Springfield Cardinals pitcher Cory Rauschenberger, who's now just a footnote (and who, like Saltalamacchia, is no picnic for whoever has to stitch the names on the jerseys). But don't count Rauschenberger out just yet: According to this page, he changed his surname from Meacham last winter. Now that the 14-letter MLB record has already been set, look for Rauschenberger to take an even longer name -- Ciemnoczolowski, say -- in the near future.

While Saltalamacchia and Rauschenberger may vie for the MLB record, they're not even close to having the longest surname in all of sports, a mark apparently held by Dutch soccer player Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (yes, that's really his name, and it's really on his jersey), whose moniker clocks in at a whopping 20 letters, plus two spaces. But with more and more married couples choosing to retain both partners' surnames in a hyphenated format, it's only a matter of time before we see something even longer. Imagine the possibilities, for example, if one of these guys married the other guy's sister. The mind fairly boggles.

-- Paul Lukas
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?archive=070503

Last edited by a moderator:
The longest name still has not been mentioned. It is cool to know more than ESPN.

I am talking longest full name - 1st, middle and last names...

It was stated in another thread that Jarrod Saltalamacchia was the longest name in baseball - it may be this year....I don't know....but I know it isn't the longest name in baseball history - I am sure one of you knows the longest name in baseball history.

Here's my original post stating it's the longest LAST NAME in baseball.

Here's my original post stating it's the longest LAST NAME in baseball.
Yeah? So what? I have asked a different question. Do you know the answer?

Is it William VanLandingham? I always remembered that as a ridiculously long name, and then they used that name in a skit on Mr. Show once.

_4_ said:
The longest name still has not been mentioned. It is cool to know more than ESPN.I am talking longest full name - 1st, middle and last names...
I think what you fail to understand is that nobody stated that Jarrod Saltalamacchia was the longest name in MLB history, even though you infer that in your thread title and OP. Everyone has been pretty clear in saying that it's the longest last name in MLB history.

_4_ said:
The longest name still has not been mentioned. It is cool to know more than ESPN.I am talking longest full name - 1st, middle and last names...
I think what you fail to understand is that nobody stated that Jarrod Saltalamacchia was the longest name in MLB history, even though you infer that in your thread title and OP. Everyone has been pretty clear in saying that it's the longest last name in MLB history.
Clearly you are an overthinker. Where in the thread title does it state anything about anyone else? Also, if you review the original post, I don't completely discredit the poster who stated that Saltalamacchia is the longest (last) name this year - I state clearly that I don't know. The original post asks for the longest name in baseball history - further clarified in the thread, the longest full name (first, middle, last).

Ex-Pirate pitcher John Smiley.

There was a mile between the first and last letters of his last name.

Anybody know it without Google?

C'mon, this guy played 15 years in the majors...was second in the league twice in Wins (YES, he was a pitcher).

Anybody know it without Google?C'mon, this guy played 15 years in the majors...was second in the league twice in Wins (YES, he was a pitcher).
He was pretty mediocrehe had 2 career years and made the All star team once. Outside of that -- meh

Anybody know it without Google?C'mon, this guy played 15 years in the majors...was second in the league twice in Wins (YES, he was a pitcher).
He was pretty mediocrehe had 2 career years and made the All star team once. Outside of that -- meh
He was also a longtime pitching coach after retiring from the game.

mr. furley said:
_4_ said:
Capella said:
bentley said:
Thank you for posting the answer and saving me from banning him over at :e: on principle.
why not just do that anyways?
translation: I, Capella, am intimidated by and exhibit pusillanimous behavior when I have to deal with people who are more intelligent and entertaining than I.solution: stay the #### out of _4_'s threads.
"more intelligent"? really?
Based on all evidence presented on these boards, I would say quite confidently, definitely.But this is the baseball forum. Try to keep further discussion centered on what was once America's pastime.

_4_ said:
Capella said:
bentley said:
Thank you for posting the answer and saving me from banning him over at :e: on principle.
translation: I, Capella, am intimidated by and exhibit pusillanimous behavior when I have to deal with people who are more intelligent and entertaining than I.solution: stay the #### out of _4_'s threads.
you should start having somebody funny ghostwrite your replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
_4_ said:
Capella said:
bentley said:
irony: editing a post that attempts to denigrate another's posting.What a tool of major proportion you are.

_4_ said:
Capella said:
bentley said:
irony: editing a post that attempts to denigrate another's posting.What a tool of major proportion you are.
seriously, look into my suggestion. it'd be a big help if somebody who dislikes me is actually funny or interesting. you're in the tentimes category here, and that's pretty much a bore for everybody.

Wow. After reading this thread I realize I lost 5 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. :rolleyes:
But you now know Cal McLish's full name, and have a trivia question the answer virtually unknown by the general public (nor bartenders of the world).
I'm glad I got that going for me! That little piece of trivia and $3.07 will get me a gallon of gas! :o
If you can't get a free drink utilizing this knowledge, come to Vegas...I'll buy you a drink...but your gas will cost you $3.29 here....

Wow. After reading this thread I realize I lost 5 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.
But you now know Cal McLish's full name, and have a trivia question the answer virtually unknown by the general public (nor bartenders of the world).
Unfortunately McLish is not the correct answer.

Alan Mitchell Edward George Patrick Henry Gallagher has him beat by 4 letters.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gallaal01.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread