What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Ted Ginn Jr. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pasquino

Footballguy
Ginn to report to the Dolphins June 7th

Rookie Ginn set to report June 7

By Harvey Fialkov & Alex Marvez

Staff and Wire Reports

Posted May 28 2007

Dolphins first-round receiver/returner Ted Ginn Jr. is scheduled to report June 7, one day before the start of the next minicamp.

Ginn, a junior at Ohio State, declared for the draft early. Due to NCAA rules, Ginn isn't allowed to officially report until his class graduates June 7. Ginn is nursing a sprained foot, but Dolphins coach Cam Cameron said Friday that receivers coach Terry Robiskie has been told everything is "positive."

Ginn, one of five draft picks still unsigned, will miss the upcoming week of organized coaching sessions for rookies.

"He's allowed to have playbooks and that kind of stuff," Cameron said. "He's coming here as a returner first. He'll need to do a lot of studying for that. And then a receiver and he'll learn. Like I said, we've been through this with other guys."
Great use of a Top 10 pick so far....

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff and Wire Reports

Posted May 28 2007

Dolphins first-round receiver/returner Ted Ginn Jr. is scheduled to report June 7, one day before the start of the next minicamp.

Ginn, a junior at Ohio State, declared for the draft early. Due to NCAA rules, Ginn isn't allowed to officially report until his class graduates June 7. Ginn is nursing a sprained foot, but Dolphins coach Cam Cameron said Friday that receivers coach Terry Robiskie has been told everything is "positive."

Ginn, one of five draft picks still unsigned, will miss the upcoming week of organized coaching sessions for rookies.

"He's allowed to have playbooks and that kind of stuff," Cameron said. "He's coming here as a returner first. He'll need to do a lot of studying for that. And then a receiver and he'll learn. Like I said, we've been through this with other guys."
On the flip side, it could also be argued that annoiting Ginn as the team's #1 WR prior to June could be viewed as adding too much pressure to the rookie. IMO, I think he will be the team's #2 WR be mid-season.I'm in the camp that the Dolphins should have taken Quinn. However, I do not believe Ginn is technically a "reach" at #9 overall. The guy is a sprinter who...unlike most sprinters...actually plays faster than his timed speed. Ginn seems to effortlessly hit full stride in only two steps.

Chambers is probably better suited as a team's #2 WR. Booker will be gone within the next 365 days and Hagen is unproven. Ginn may only net 40-50 catches his rookie year, but he should average no less than 16-17 yards/catch. Once he learns the WR position in the NFL, the guy could be a yards-after-the-catch machine.

Plays faster than 4.35/40:

A lot of teams get little to nothing out their rookie WRs so at least Ginn is contributing something.

Staff and Wire Reports

Posted May 28 2007

On the flip side, it could also be argued that annoiting Ginn as the team's #1 WR prior to June could be viewed as adding too much pressure to the rookie. IMO, I think he will be the team's #2 WR be mid-season.I'm in the camp that the Dolphins should have taken Quinn. However, I do not believe Ginn is technically a "reach" at #9 overall. The guy is a sprinter who...unlike most sprinters...actually plays faster than his timed speed. Ginn seems to effortlessly hit full stride in only two steps.

Chambers is probably better suited as a team's #2 WR. Booker will be gone within the next 365 days and Hagen is unproven. Ginn may only net 40-50 catches his rookie year, but he should average no less than 16-17 yards/catch. Once he learns the WR position in the NFL, the guy could be a yards-after-the-catch machine.

Plays faster than 4.35/40:

and Ginn isnt unproven????Id

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh those Miami Dolphins, what will they do next with their draft picks?
Team Needs, and rounds in which they will be selected in '08:1) Long Snapper2) b/u Center3) Dime Cornerback4) Kickoff man - just for kickoffs.Expect the 'phins to trade up in every round to acquire these critical pieces for a championship team.

It's seem that the vast majority of Rookie Draft have Ted Ginn as the third or fouth WR taken. Why? He's still a 9th overall pick in the NFL draft and this guy have game breaking talent.

I think it might be because Ginn is nowhere near a finished product at WR. He is an explosive return man, and his speed is a huge asset, but he was not even the best receiver on OSU last year (Anthony Gonzalez is a far more polished route runner and has better hands). I think an argument can be made he is not even a top 5 rookie wide receiver for dynasty purposes.

He's on my do not draft list. My gut tells me that he'll be a bust. I haven't felt this way about a rookie coming in since Joey Harrington.

I actually think Ginn has the chance to be a very special player, despite my flippant treatment of him in this thread. He does need to work on the hands, though, or he's another Az Hakim. Maybe making him a pure return man for a year will give him the space to work on that. Could be a very good move. Could blow up in their faces. We'll see.

osubuckeyeman said:
Boy, I hope the Miami fans boo him when he jets past defenders for td's and gives Ronnie Brown and whoever is the QB good field position.Teddy is more than just a returner and my feeling is there is going to be some pretty happy Miami fans....Ginn is a football player with sprinter speed not a sprrinter trying to play football he's no Willie Gault and I get the feeling that's the perception....I guess we all shall see.
No :shrug: bias here, right?

I see Ginn as a poor man's Peter Warrick...unfortunately the "rich" version did not translate well to the NFL, so I cannot imagine how this is going to turn out. It is a good time to be a Jet's fan :unsure:

I see Ginn as a poor man's Peter Warrick...unfortunately the "rich" version did not translate well to the NFL, so I cannot imagine how this is going to turn out. It is a good time to be a Jet's fan :shrug:
Other than weight, Warrick and Ginn are two completely different players. Ginn relies on speed, speed and more speed. Ginn is essentially a "one-cut and away" open-field runner.Warrick was actually surprisingly slow and used ankle-breaking quickness to make defenders miss......in college that is.

Balco said:
I think it might be because Ginn is nowhere near a finished product at WR. He is an explosive return man, and his speed is a huge asset, but he was not even the best receiver on OSU last year (Anthony Gonzalez is a far more polished route runner and has better hands). I think an argument can be made he is not even a top 5 rookie wide receiver for dynasty purposes.
Really? I would disagree with that. Nothing against Gonzo as he's a fine WR in his own right. But Ginn has skills that are rarely found in players coming out of college. Considering it was only his 3rd year as a WR, his performance was nothing short of awesome. Every team put their best 2 men on him and he still flew by them over and over again. For a guy that can't run routes or catch he sure had a great year.

Ginn was the 7th WR off the board in Z31 and there were one or two guys that I would have taken ahead of him still on the board

Phil4 said:
It's seem that the vast majority of Rookie Draft have Ted Ginn as the third or fouth WR taken. Why? He's still a 9th overall pick in the NFL draft and this guy have game breaking talent.
Doesn't that speak more to the Dolphins' insanity as opposed to the craziness of any FF owners?

On the flip side, it could also be argued that annoiting Ginn as the team's #1 WR prior to June could be viewed as adding too much pressure to the rookie. IMO, I think he will be the team's #2 WR be mid-season.
And from another angle, it could also be argued that annointing Ginn a #1 WR at any point at all is extreme wishful thinking.As a top ten pick, he BETTER be the #2 by midseason or they may as well have drafted that punt gunner everyone else is mentioning.You don't(or at least shouldn't) draft a receiver top ten with the intent to make him a return man for half a season with the hope he can help out at wide receiver by then.

Ginn was the 7th WR off the board in Z31 and there were one or two guys that I would have taken ahead of him still on the board
He was the last decent WR taken in Z32, and I thought it was a joke. Non-PPR, points for return yards, and points for return TD's?? I almost took him at 1.7.Ginn is not going to be a sled dog, with 9 catches a game. So what? In that format, he could be a monster.

He was the last decent WR taken in Z32, and I thought it was a joke. Non-PPR, points for return yards, and points for return TD's?? I almost took him at 1.7.Ginn is not going to be a sled dog, with 9 catches a game. So what? In that format, he could be a monster.
If you get return yardage you should take Ginn high.I think he will outperform Wes Welker's numbers last year.

He was the last decent WR taken in Z32, and I thought it was a joke. Non-PPR, points for return yards, and points for return TD's?? I almost took him at 1.7.

Ginn is not going to be a sled dog, with 9 catches a game. So what? In that format, he could be a monster.
If you get return yardage you should take Ginn high.I think he will outperform Wes Welker's numbers last year.
I think he's gonna help that team from Day 1. IMO, people are really underestimating the big play ability this kid has. He can't run routes. Big deal. Neither could Randy Moss. Anyone think Terrell Owens was a technician when he left Mid Tennessee State? With speed like that, you don't have to be Isaac Bruce-like with your routes. And route running can be improved, it can be taught.Starting around the combine, and continuing through the draft, all we hear is about how speed is overrated, and blah blah Jerry Rice blah Jerry Rice blah blah Jerry Rice 4.6 blah blah blah. It is at the point that speed is underrated, and speed like Ginn's is very underrated.

"He only knows 3 routes". Between that and the return game, that may be good for 8-10 TDs his first year.

LHUCKS said:
cobalt_27 said:
LHUCKS said:
A lot of teams get little to nothing out of their rookie WRs so at least Ginn is contributing something.
:shrug:
:11:
Agreed. I mean, with where the Dolphins were drafting and with the options they had available to them...it's a real short bus mentality that would reflect on all that and say, hey, at least he'll be contributing on special teams.We need a Special Needs Forum, where you can post with regularity.

He was the last decent WR taken in Z32, and I thought it was a joke. Non-PPR, points for return yards, and points for return TD's?? I almost took him at 1.7.

Ginn is not going to be a sled dog, with 9 catches a game. So what? In that format, he could be a monster.
I think he's gonna help that team from Day 1. IMO, people are really underestimating the big play ability this kid has. He can't run routes. Big deal. Neither could Randy Moss. Anyone think Terrell Owens was a technician when he left Mid Tennessee State? With speed like that, you don't have to be Isaac Bruce-like with your routes. And route running can be improved, it can be taught.Starting around the combine, and continuing through the draft, all we hear is about how speed is overrated, and blah blah Jerry Rice blah Jerry Rice blah blah Jerry Rice 4.6 blah blah blah. It is at the point that speed is underrated, and speed like Ginn's is very underrated.

"He only knows 3 routes". Between that and the return game, that may be good for 8-10 TDs his first year.
I'm not going there - as a phin fan, I am highly disappointed they had a top-10 pick and added Ginn instead of an LB or DL. I would have also preferred Quinn over Ginn and a burner for their return man in the second.That said, now that he's a 'phin, I am pulling for you to be 100% correct.

So you're telling me that Miami Dolphins scouting team suck ?
The Miami Dolphins select Eric Kumerow...The Miami Dolphins select Jackie Shipp...The Miami Dolphins select Randal Hill...The Miami Dolphins select Lorenzo Hampton....The Miami Dolphins select John Bosa...The Miami Dolphins select Sammie Smith...The Miami Dolphins select Billy Milner...The Miami Dolphins select John Avery...The Miami Dolphins select...oops we don't even have a 1st rounder several of the years to go blow on someone else...face it the Miami Dolphins do not have the best track history of drafting players going back some 25 years, so in answer to your question...YES!

Balco said:
Really? I would disagree with that. Nothing against Gonzo as he's a fine WR in his own right. But Ginn has skills that are rarely found in players coming out of college. Considering it was only his 3rd year as a WR, his performance was nothing short of awesome. Every team put their best 2 men on him and he still flew by them over and over again. For a guy that can't run routes or catch he sure had a great year.
What are these skills that are so rare? Blazing speed? Look, I think he is going to be an unbelievable kick returner, no question. And I think he will be a solid Wide Receiver, but ANthony Gonzalez posesses greater skills than Ted Ginn as a receiver - he has better hands (I reread my post and did not see anything about Ginn not being able to catch. I am pretty sure he can) and runs better routes.

Balco said:
What are these skills that are so rare? Blazing speed? Look, I think he is going to be an unbelievable kick returner, no question. And I think he will be a solid Wide Receiver, but ANthony Gonzalez posesses greater skills than Ted Ginn as a receiver - he has better hands (I reread my post and did not see anything about Ginn not being able to catch. I am pretty sure he can) and runs better routes.
The main skill is speed and his ability to use it to get open. His speed is very rare and his seperation is solid. Gonzo is good in his own right and in fact it really doesn't matter because the comparison is pointless. Ginn and Gonzo will both do well. As to your dynasty comment, suggesting he's not a top 5 WR for dynasty because of where he is right now is not looking long term. They didn't draft Ginn thinking he was already the best he could be. They drafted him knowing he's still developing and that his upside is huge. That's what you look for in a player. From a dynasty perspective, long term value is everything.

I actually think Ginn has the chance to be a very special player, despite my flippant treatment of him in this thread. He does need to work on the hands, though, or he's another Az Hakim. Maybe making him a pure return man for a year will give him the space to work on that. Could be a very good move. Could blow up in their faces. We'll see.
I was so ready to not like you until this post. Damn you for making me rethink things!

I see Ginn as a poor man's Peter Warrick...unfortunately the "rich" version did not translate well to the NFL, so I cannot imagine how this is going to turn out. It is a good time to be a Jet's fan :shrug:
If there was ever a team's fan base that shouldn't comment about draft picks....

Users who are viewing this thread