What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ahmad Brooks MLB? (1 Viewer)

bcr8f

Footballguy
If named the starter where would he rank?

"The Bengals, in turn, have been encouraged enough to believe that middle linebacker might finally have a long-term solution, for the first time since the club switched to a 4-3 alignment in 2000. That year, the man was Armegis Spearman. Then Simmons took over for two years. In Lewis' first season as head coach, it was Kevin Hardy. Nate Webster was signed to handle the important position in 2004, but was injured after three games. Landon Johnson replaced him. In 2005, Thurman won the job as a rookie.

"The offseason has been good (for Brooks)," said Lewis. "He has been here since the second week of February. He has taken it very seriously. Even his comfort in handling the huddle, there's a big difference. We're happy where he is, and we'll keep going."

"You can just look at his body demeanor," added safety Dexter Jackson. "He's more relaxed and more comfortable out there, just running around faster and making more plays. Just getting confidence and more wisdom about the game."

This weekend, Brooks will come into just a little bit more of that. It's minicamp. And he's there.

The fact is, he wouldn't be anywhere else. "This," said the 23-year-old whom the Bengals have entrusted with quarterbacking a unit that, like him, needs desperately to step up, "is the opportunity of a lifetime."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../706020379/1035

(title edited for discussion)

Last edited by a moderator:

"The Bengals, in turn, have been encouraged enough to believe that middle linebacker might finally have a long-term solution, for the first time since the club switched to a 4-3 alignment in 2000. That year, the man was Armegis Spearman. Then Simmons took over for two years. In Lewis' first season as head coach, it was Kevin Hardy. Nate Webster was signed to handle the important position in 2004, but was injured after three games. Landon Johnson replaced him. In 2005, Thurman won the job as a rookie.

"The offseason has been good (for Brooks)," said Lewis. "He has been here since the second week of February. He has taken it very seriously. Even his comfort in handling the huddle, there's a big difference. We're happy where he is, and we'll keep going."

"You can just look at his body demeanor," added safety Dexter Jackson. "He's more relaxed and more comfortable out there, just running around faster and making more plays. Just getting confidence and more wisdom about the game."

This weekend, Brooks will come into just a little bit more of that. It's minicamp. And he's there.

The fact is, he wouldn't be anywhere else. "This," said the 23-year-old whom the Bengals have entrusted with quarterbacking a unit that, like him, needs desperately to step up, "is the opportunity of a lifetime."

What? They thought they had the long term solution in Thurman.But on another note, Brooks looks to be a solid addition if he becomes available in my main keeper league.

He is one of just couple LBs Im targeting that may not be "kept".

What? They thought they had the long term solution in Thurman.But on another note, Brooks looks to be a solid addition if he becomes available in my main keeper league.

He is one of just couple LBs Im targeting that may not be "kept".
That was until Thurman became a "problem child." Brooks, while he had problems in college, appears to have grown up a little bit and is taking on more and more responsibility on the field. Having him "QB" the defense is a big step for him after he was thrown into that role last year. I think he'll lock in to the MLB spot and be a steady fantasy LB for years to come. I also just picked him up in my dynasty league where he wasn't "kept." So I may be wearing the same glasses as Duke. :lmao:

Jene Bramel said:
The accusers told police Thurman and his brother punched them at a party during an argument and later returned with guns drawn.
oof. if true, what a moron.
The WCPO story has a link to the Jasper County court records of the affadavit made by the three accusers. There's some naughty words so I won't link to it directly, but it includes such craziness (kicking to unconsciousness, guns in mouths) that it's either bunk or yet another (and the final) incidence of Thurman's ridiculously poor behavior.

dapace2 said:
A Bengals spokesperson says since he is no longer on their roster they have no comment on the incident.
huh? I don't think he has been released yet, right? strange comment.
Thurman was suspended last season for violating the league's substance abuse policy, following a drunk driving arrest. He could apply for reinstatement into the NFL this summer.
The meaning must be that suspended players are not on the active roster. Does he need to be reinstated before he can be released?

A Bengals spokesperson says since he is no longer on their roster they have no comment on the incident.
He isn't in complete limbo. The Ravens can't just pluck him off the team. They are distancing themselves, but would they welcome him back if re-instated?

He isn't in complete limbo. The Ravens can't just pluck him off the team. They are distancing themselves, but would they welcome him back if re-instated?
Probably not now.Plus they have Hartwell to play MLB :wall:

They did not call police until the following morning. A judge will hold what's called a pre-warrant hearing on Friday to determine whether an arrest warrant should be issued for Thurman and his cousin.
It puzzles me that someone would not call the police right away. We'll see over the weekend if this is made up - but if true Odell is a goner and a candidate for stoopidest person to enter the NFL

Probably not now.Plus they have Hartwell to play MLB :mellow:
Hartwell's a stud. :moneybag:

They did not call police until the following morning. A judge will hold what's called a pre-warrant hearing on Friday to determine whether an arrest warrant should be issued for Thurman and his cousin.
It puzzles me that someone would not call the police right away. We'll see over the weekend if this is made up - but if true Odell is a goner and a candidate for stoopidest person to enter the NFL
I'm not sure I believe this story. Just a gut feeling. Right from the start it just sounded fishy. We will see soon enough.

At first the thought of them waiting several hours to call the police seems strange. I am just guessing, but there could be some reason they didn't call the police right away. The people at the house may have been using illegal drugs or have some other reason not to want police to come there that night. I don't imagine the people are making up the story about Thurman and I think he is done with the Bengals.

I'm not sure I believe this story. Just a gut feeling. Right from the start it just sounded fishy. We will see soon enough.
Yes, it's hard to believe Thurman would be involved in something like this. :yes:

Yes, it's hard to believe Thurman would be involved in something like this. :lmao:
My opinion has nothing to do with Thurman, it's just the way I took the story. I never said Thurman couldn't be involved in something like this. I just question the validity of the story.

Renegades of Funk said:
At first the thought of them waiting several hours to call the police seems strange. I am just guessing, but there could be some reason they didn't call the police right away. The people at the house may have been using illegal drugs or have some other reason not to want police to come there that night. I don't imagine the people are making up the story about Thurman and I think he is done with the Bengals.
Well, that would clearly impact on the credibility of the witnesses....Interesting post in SP about this - I believe it is from scout.com

Renegades of Funk said:
Well, that would clearly impact on the credibility of the witnesses....
Yeah, but it ain't much of an alibi for Thurmon as far as his NFL career goes. :lmao:

msommer said:
Renegades of Funk said:
Well, that would clearly impact on the credibility of the witnesses....Interesting post in SP about this - I believe it is from scout.com
Even if they were doing drugs beating and putting a gun in their mouth is still a crime.

msommer said:
Renegades of Funk said:
Even if they were doing drugs beating and putting a gun in their mouth is still a crime.
If there is no indictment then Odell will have an extra topic for his talk with Goodell. He's still not in any way out of the woods from what he did last year. His chances of being reinstated has not exactly improved with this report but if a judge decides not to indict then I would not think the chances are gone either.

Complaint against Thurman withdrawn

A pre-warrant hearing application involving Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman has been canceled.

Complaint against Thurman withdrawn

A pre-warrant hearing application involving Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman has been canceled.
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...070049/1066/SPTA pre-warrant hearing application involving Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman scheduled for Friday morning has been canceled.

The two Monticello, Ga., men who made the complaint against Thurman withdrew it late today, David Martin, Thurman’s lawyer, told The Enquirer.

“It’s unfortunate it got to this point,” Martin said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Asked if Thurman were relieved, Martin said, “Of course.”

No criminal charges were ever filed.

Thurman was scheduled to appear at 11 a.m. in Jasper County, Ga., Magistrate Court.

Two men alleged in the complaint that Thurman had committed acts of criminal trespass, aggravated assault and pointing a gun in the early-morning hours Sunday at a house party in Monticello.

Thurman, under suspension for one season by the NFL for three violations of its substance-abuse policy, is a Monticello native. Monticello is the government seat of Jasper County.

Safara Lawson, Thurman’s Atlanta-based agent, told The Enquirer that the linebacker already has applied for reinstatement and expects to hear from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in July.

How fast some of you are to judge. I'm just glad you're not sitting on any jury. :thumbdown:
Your naivete is breathtaking to behold. Thurman's been in trouble with the law since before he hit puberty. He was kicked off Georgia's football team. Twice. He was nailed by the league's substance abuse police. Thrice. (hence the current suspension) With his career in jeopardy, this paragon of virtue decided to drive drunk (over twice the legal limit) with a certain Chris Henry riding shotgun. He's had chances and chances over and over and over again, and blown them all. Excuse me if I regard this latest incident with a degree of cynicism. He's earned it. I have a feeling the guys cutting million dollar checks might balk at signing another one for him as well. I also doubt their standard will be "innocent until proven guilty".

How fast some of you are to judge. I'm just glad you're not sitting on any jury. :unsure:
Your naivete is breathtaking to behold. Thurman's been in trouble with the law since before he hit puberty. He was kicked off Georgia's football team. Twice. He was nailed by the league's substance abuse police. Thrice. (hence the current suspension) With his career in jeopardy, this paragon of virtue decided to drive drunk (over twice the legal limit) with a certain Chris Henry riding shotgun. He's had chances and chances over and over and over again, and blown them all. Excuse me if I regard this latest incident with a degree of cynicism. He's earned it. I have a feeling the guys cutting million dollar checks might balk at signing another one for him as well. I also doubt their standard will be "innocent until proven guilty".
:lol: :lol: ;) :)

How fast some of you are to judge. I'm just glad you're not sitting on any jury. :confused:
LOL, so you automatically side with guys who claim that he did something as serious as pointing a gun at them (or in their mouth), but fail to contact the Police? LMAO, who's naive here now? I didn't say he was clean or model citizen, just that so many passed judgement with ABSOLUTELY KNOWING COMPLETELY NONE OF THE FACTS of what really happened other than reading a one sided blurb.Yes, Odell's done some bad things in the past. Yes, percentages lean towards committing further crimes or getting into trouble. I'll point out that it's a percentage because not everyone keeps repeating the same type behavior. Simply put, not ALL of people who commited a crime or get in trouble keep repeatting!!! Sheeesh, I saw a guy on the news a day ago that committed a crime and he had dreadlocks. That means the next guy I see with dreadlocks must be criminal too, huh? :lmao: Yeah, I know that's real stupid, but it's almost about the same logic as what you mentioned. Taking the incident with cynicism is understandable, but many just passed judgement. There is a difference and that's the point! :lmao:

How fast some of you are to judge. I'm just glad you're not sitting on any jury. :confused:
LOL, it's entirely possible that he paid them off. In fact, I've seen that speculated several places. Happens all the time.
LMAO, there are ton of other possibilities too. Of course, it can't be that he didn't do it. What a joke!
I know that he is a "recovering" alcoholic at a party at 3am. That's enough to make me drop him from my team.

How fast some of you are to judge. I'm just glad you're not sitting on any jury.

:)
LOL, so you automatically side with guys who claim that he did something as serious as pointing a gun at them (or in their mouth), but fail to contact the Police? LMAO, who's naive here now? I didn't say he was clean or model citizen, just that so many passed judgement with ABSOLUTELY KNOWING COMPLETELY NONE OF THE FACTS of what really happened other than reading a one sided blurb.Yes, Odell's done some bad things in the past. Yes, percentages lean towards committing further crimes or getting into trouble. I'll point out that it's a percentage because not everyone keeps repeating the same type behavior. Simply put, not ALL of people who commited a crime or get in trouble keep repeatting!!! Sheeesh, I saw a guy on the news a day ago that committed a crime and he had dreadlocks. That means the next guy I see with dreadlocks must be criminal too, huh? :) Yeah, I know that's real stupid, but it's almost about the same logic as what you mentioned.

Taking the incident with cynicism is understandable, but many just passed judgement. There is a difference and that's the point! :no:
Biz, I'm now assuming you're being serious, so a serious question for you:Even ignoring this latest incident, hasn't Thurman already repeated "the same type behavior"?

How fast some of you are to judge. I'm just glad you're not sitting on any jury.

:lmao:
LOL, so you automatically side with guys who claim that he did something as serious as pointing a gun at them (or in their mouth), but fail to contact the Police? LMAO, who's naive here now? I didn't say he was clean or model citizen, just that so many passed judgement with ABSOLUTELY KNOWING COMPLETELY NONE OF THE FACTS of what really happened other than reading a one sided blurb.Yes, Odell's done some bad things in the past. Yes, percentages lean towards committing further crimes or getting into trouble. I'll point out that it's a percentage because not everyone keeps repeating the same type behavior. Simply put, not ALL of people who commited a crime or get in trouble keep repeatting!!! Sheeesh, I saw a guy on the news a day ago that committed a crime and he had dreadlocks. That means the next guy I see with dreadlocks must be criminal too, huh? :lmao: Yeah, I know that's real stupid, but it's almost about the same logic as what you mentioned.

Taking the incident with cynicism is understandable, but many just passed judgement. There is a difference and that's the point! :lmao:
Biz, I'm now assuming you're being serious, so a serious question for you:Even ignoring this latest incident, hasn't Thurman already repeated "the same type behavior"?
He's repeated some, which can't be denied. Yes, there are increased chances that he very well could get in trouble again, at least his past would lead some to think that it surely would be more probable. Thus, anyone could understand any cynicism when an incident arises, but many went further than an plain ol cynicism. Judgement was immediately made that he is guilty without any real facts. Matter of fact the report of the incident appeared far from certain in many ways because the Police weren't even involved. So, yeah I just pointed out that I'm glad that this type of person who lays judegement so quickly is not on any jury. Probably a little too deep for some on a FF MB, but anyway...

He's repeated some, which can't be denied. Yes, there are increased chances that he very well could get in trouble again, at least his past would lead some to think that it surely would be more probable. Thus, anyone could understand any cynicism when an incident arises, but many went further than an plain ol cynicism. Judgement was immediately made that he is guilty without any real facts. Matter of fact the report of the incident appeared far from certain in many ways because the Police weren't even involved. So, yeah I just pointed out that I'm glad that this type of person who lays judegement so quickly is not on any jury. Probably a little too deep for some on a FF MB, but anyway...
:mellow:

Bizkiteer said:
How fast some of you are to judge. I'm just glad you're not sitting on any jury. :lmao:
We may be sitting on yours the next time you get in trouble. :lmao:

redman said:
Even ignoring this latest incident, hasn't Thurman already repeated "the same type behavior"?
prior to this suspension, yes. Question back. If he is still an incorrigible f-up why are the doctors who have been monitoring him going to recommend him to be reinstated as previously reported?

Bizkiteer said:
onionsack said:
Bizkiteer said:

:shock:
LOL, so you automatically side with guys who claim that he did something as serious as pointing a gun at them (or in their mouth), but fail to contact the Police? LMAO, who's naive here now? I didn't say he was clean or model citizen, just that so many passed judgement with ABSOLUTELY KNOWING COMPLETELY NONE OF THE FACTS of what really happened other than reading a one sided blurb.Yes, Odell's done some bad things in the past. Yes, percentages lean towards committing further crimes or getting into trouble. I'll point out that it's a percentage because not everyone keeps repeating the same type behavior. Simply put, not ALL of people who commited a crime or get in trouble keep repeatting!!! Sheeesh, I saw a guy on the news a day ago that committed a crime and he had dreadlocks. That means the next guy I see with dreadlocks must be criminal too, huh? :mellow: Yeah, I know that's real stupid, but it's almost about the same logic as what you mentioned.

Taking the incident with cynicism is understandable, but many just passed judgement. There is a difference and that's the point! :lmao:
These are not the same in any way shape or form. Your example has us judging a second individual that we know nothing about other than his physical appearance based on his similarity to a completely different person who looks similar. In this case you have a single individual who has a rap sheet a mile long and it is natural that people aren't going to give them the benefit of the doubt like someone who's being accused of a first offense. Jumping to a conclusion on something like this on an internet message board is a far cry from how one of us might perform as a juror. It is a lot different when we are just trying to speculate on how these charges could affect our fantasy or NFL teams than it is sitting in a jury box with someone's future in your hands. Give people a break with this self-righteous BS, I seriously doubt Odell is going to jump off a bridge because some dorks on a message board think he's guilty.

These are not the same in any way shape or form. Your example has us judging a second individual that we know nothing about other than his physical appearance based on his similarity to a completely different person who looks similar. In this case you have a single individual who has a rap sheet a mile long and it is natural that people aren't going to give them the benefit of the doubt like someone who's being accused of a first offense. Jumping to a conclusion on something like this on an internet message board is a far cry from how one of us might perform as a juror. It is a lot different when we are just trying to speculate on how these charges could affect our fantasy or NFL teams than it is sitting in a jury box with someone's future in your hands. Give people a break with this self-righteous BS, I seriously doubt Odell is going to jump off a bridge because some dorks on a message board think he's guilty.
:shock:

:lmao:
:lmao: Well said... :lmao:

Bizkiteer said:
onionsack said:
Bizkiteer said:

:towelwave:
LOL, so you automatically side with guys who claim that he did something as serious as pointing a gun at them (or in their mouth), but fail to contact the Police? LMAO, who's naive here now? I didn't say he was clean or model citizen, just that so many passed judgement with ABSOLUTELY KNOWING COMPLETELY NONE OF THE FACTS of what really happened other than reading a one sided blurb.Yes, Odell's done some bad things in the past. Yes, percentages lean towards committing further crimes or getting into trouble. I'll point out that it's a percentage because not everyone keeps repeating the same type behavior. Simply put, not ALL of people who commited a crime or get in trouble keep repeatting!!! Sheeesh, I saw a guy on the news a day ago that committed a crime and he had dreadlocks. That means the next guy I see with dreadlocks must be criminal too, huh? :lmao: Yeah, I know that's real stupid, but it's almost about the same logic as what you mentioned.

Taking the incident with cynicism is understandable, but many just passed judgement. There is a difference and that's the point! :yes:
No but he may push someone off a bridge. We're not jurors but do know if they don't learn from thei own history they won't change. Odell can't keep buying his way out of trouble.If I were the NFL I would investigate and find out if the allegations are true.

No but he may push someone off a bridge. We're not jurors but do know if they don't learn from their own history they won't change. Odell can't keep buying his way out of trouble.

If I were the NFL I would investigate and find out if the allegations are true.
:bag:

redman said:
Even ignoring this latest incident, hasn't Thurman already repeated "the same type behavior"?
prior to this suspension, yes. Question back. If he is still an incorrigible f-up why are the doctors who have been monitoring him going to recommend him to be reinstated as previously reported?
I'm not sure I understand. What doctors? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread