What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dark Tower Series - The Movie(s) / Series (1 Viewer)

FinHead

Footballguy
Providing this is true and they don't #### it up, this could be awesome news!

Dark Horizon's blurb

- Next Friday is apparently when filming on the first of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" gets underway reports DTBlog.
Dark Tower Movie Blog
Saturday, June 16, 2007

First Day of Shooting

This coming Friday marks the initial opening shots for Dark Tower. Followed up with background shots on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday.

Intermittent shots of course will be done correspondingly.

To note: The M, Tu, Th & Fr shots are all out doors at Paramount. This coming fridays shooting will be day and I suspect outdoors as well. (though I cannot confirm the first friday will be outdoors)

Some (from my browsing of those who have read this blog) have expressed skepticism, and fair enough..as I have been not only brief in my details, but also lacking (some due to an honest lack of information on my part, others due to me not wanting to "give away" my identity should anyone at Paramount read this).

I stress again however, I am not going to try to convince ANYONE on this. I will however, try to covertly get some photo's from the shoot as evidence... at least until Paramount decides to make the announcement themselves (and literally make half the world very happy!).

Enjoy your weekends.

Posted by Blue Group at 6:20 PM 10 comments

Labels: book, dark tower, movie, stephen king

Friday, June 15, 2007

Dark Tower Series- The Movie(s)

Recently, I was signed in a very secretive project after an obscure audition... this has turned out to be so immensely HUGE, I am absolutely floored by it.

I write this as anonymous because of the signed NDA from Paramount Studios. So it is at your own "risk" if you believe this or not.

Stephen Kings Dark Tower series begins filming on June 22nd at Paramount studios in Hollywood. There are so many details that I do NOT know at this point, but I do know that I am contracted for all of the books/films and it is by far the largest budget film series ever to be produced by Hollywood.

To be directed by JJ Abrams, Unknown who the Principles are(lead actors), but I will update as once we begin shooting.

Being a huge Dark Tower series fan, this is a HUGE honor for me to act in and I look forward to sharing the experience as well as tidbits of information with those who may read this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap! Was just talking about my wish for this to happen. PLEASE...............don't screw it up!!!!" :construction:

I think it will translate well, but hope they change the confrontations w/ both Junior and the CK.

Well, this should be fun... :woot:

I'm going to call b.s. on this--just doesn't feel true. How could this guy possibly be signed to "the biggest budgeted film series ever in Hollywood" and be willing to f' it up by posting to a blog?

If they've already started shooting, why do none of the mainstream sites have any information on actors, director, etc.? Smells like BS to me.

This was on j.j. abrams wikipedia:

On February 14, 2007, Joblo.com announced[2] that plans were underway for Abrams to do an adaptation of Stephen King's epic Dark Tower series.

This story will not translate well to the big screen.
Agreed. Way too much internal conflict.I always thought it would make a great HBO series though.
:thumbup: I like this idea more than a series of feature films. What would it take - 5 or 6 films at least? Although I guess they could cut out a bunch of back story (a shame if you ask me) & just go "real time" with a small amount of exposition on the past.

How about Gary Cole as the Man in Black/Walter o'Dim/Marten Broadcloak/Randall Flagg?

I think he's shown he can play this type of character. Forget the Brady Bunch/Office Space roles; think Lucas Buck on American Gothic.

How about Gary Cole as the Man in Black/Walter o'Dim/Marten Broadcloak/Randall Flagg?

I think he's shown he can play this type of character. Forget the Brady Bunch/Office Space roles; think Lucas Buck on American Gothic.
Interesting. Has that kid from "American Beauty" gotten any older looking? Always thought he had the dark-eyed mysterious creepiness requisite to being an effective Flagg.

I hope this doesn't happen because I'll have no choice but to spend hours watching it and then be furious for days over the ending (the entire last book) all over again.

I hope this doesn't happen because I'll have no choice but to spend hours watching it and then be furious for days over the ending (the entire last book) all over again.
The ending was awesome. Unless you're complaining about how Flagg and the Crimson King got punked. In that case, I can see your frustration.

Homer J Simpson said:
Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Clint Eastwood as Roland ? Are you guys insane ?? Clint is about 75 now. Roland's estimated age in the series is late 30s to early 40's.

Here is the perfect Roland IMO: Josh Holloway

Roland on the beach with the lobstrosities
Link?
I would suggest reading the books since I do not believe there is any "link" that shows his age. However you can figure it out with in a few years by what King has written. In short Roland was 33 when he palavered with Walter, he aged about ten years as the centuries passed, and then he has spent approximately six months to a year with his new Ka-tet.

Homer J Simpson said:
Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Clint Eastwood as Roland ? Are you guys insane ?? Clint is about 75 now. Roland's estimated age in the series is late 30s to early 40's.

Link?
I would suggest reading the books since I do not believe there is any "link" that shows his age. However you can figure it out with in a few years by what King has written. In short Roland was 33 when he palavered with Walter, he aged about ten years as the centuries passed, and then he has spent approximately six months to a year with his new Ka-tet.
Pretty sure that Stephen King was influenced by Clint Eastwood in the Good the Bad and the Ugly. If that was his influence that puts Roland in his 40s or so.

The ending was awesome. Unless you're complaining about how Flagg and the Crimson King got punked. In that case, I can see your frustration.
Agreed. Those were my only big issues with DT7 (the CK less so than Flagg), not the ending itself which I thought entirely appropriate.

Homer J Simpson said:
Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Link?
Pretty sure that Stephen King was influenced by Clint Eastwood in the Good the Bad and the Ugly. If that was his influence that puts Roland in his 40s or so.
:thumbdown: I think Clint was ~ 35 when the spaghetti westerns (e.g., Few Dollars, The Good ...) came out

Eastwood 30 years ago or so would be a no brainer. I like the Gary Cole suggestion.

I would worry about it translating well to the big screen but Lord of the Rings did it pretty well. Hopefully they coudl pull it off here as well. But that is a lot of movies. I woudl think minimum 5. Of course Harry Potter has proven that long movie series can work and be commercially viable.

The ending itself was really the only ending that would work, but the end of Flagg and the entire confrontation against CK were ridiculous. The original version of The Gunslinger has a bunch of references to the tower that are never realized, and there were some pretty big loose ends in the plotline, I thought.

Evilgrin 72 said:
kupcho1 said:

Interesting. Has that kid from "American Beauty" gotten any older looking? Always thought he had the dark-eyed mysterious creepiness requisite to being an effective Flagg.
Wes Bentley as Randall Flagg? <_< nomination

Evilgrin 72 said:
kupcho1 said:

Wes Bentley as Randall Flagg? :rolleyes: nomination
Didn't even realize that was the same guy. Nice call.

I agree, Eastwood would have been perfect circa 40 or so years ago. I always got the impression Roland was between around 35 and 45, so I think the previous suggestion of Josh Holloway would work (obvious Lost connection if Lindelof and Cuse are in fact involved.) It's been a long time since I've read some of these books, I think another good choice for Randall Flagg would be Tim Roth. He isn't in a lot of movies these days for whatever reason, but in the movies I've seen him in he seems to be a pretty angry and badass type of guy. Either way, if these movies end up getting made I will be an extremely happy camper.

Homer J Simpson said:
Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Link?
It also says that time has slipped, and doesn't flow like our time does normally. Just sayin. :crazy:
The ending itself was really the only ending that would work, but the end of Flagg and the entire confrontation against CK were ridiculous. The original version of The Gunslinger has a bunch of references to the tower that are never realized, and there were some pretty big loose ends in the plotline, I thought.
Well, he did plan on 9 books, and then along came a van that nearly took his life. I think he did the best he could.ETA - That, and the fact that he wrote parts of The Gunslinger back in the 70s, and that he worked parts into many of his later novels, is a mind-boggling feat. I scoff at your loose plotline cries. :)

Cool

Clint Eastwood as Roland?
I'm such a :ptts: I got goosebumps and a chub just reading this. Unfortunately it wouldn't really work, though, because of the age thing that others have mentioned. We should probably start a separate thread of "Who should play _______ in a Dark Tower movie series?"

SmoovySmoov said:
Homer J Simpson said:

Link?
It also says that time has slipped, and doesn't flow like our time does normally. Just sayin. :)
Well, he did plan on 9 books, and then along came a van that nearly took his life. I think he did the best he could.ETA - That, and the fact that he wrote parts of The Gunslinger back in the 70s, and that he worked parts into many of his later novels, is a mind-boggling feat. I scoff at your loose plotline cries. :confused:
He also said that he plans to rewrite the entire series. Fans who have already read the series won't be happy but the series could be tightened up to make more sense with how it ends.

It also says that time has slipped, and doesn't flow like our time does normally. Just sayin. :)
However it clearly says Roland awakens after the long palaver, he has physically aged only 10 years, so no matter what "worlds time" we look at, Roland is in his late 30's to mid 40's. Granted he slept for over 100 years, but his physical age is the same.

It also says that time has slipped, and doesn't flow like our time does normally. Just sayin. :popcorn:
However it clearly says Roland awakens after the long palaver, he has physically aged only 10 years, so no matter what "worlds time" we look at, Roland is in his late 30's to mid 40's. Granted he slept for over 100 years, but his physical age is the same.
too old
Might make an interesting director choice though.

BIG fan of this series...I'd love to see the movie. :X

That being said, Eastwood was my first thought also...but then I realized I was picturing Pale Rider Clint and not old man Clint. ;)

I went back about a year ago and read the whole series from beginning to end....might have to do that again before the movie comes out. I'm sure there will be some disapointments, but the shootout at Balazaar's would be awesome on the big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread