What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Country for Old Men (1 Viewer)

ElGatoLoco

Footballguy
Apparently, the current trailer for this movie has not been testing well with audiences. Rather the music is not testing well. My wife's boss just sold an original piece of music for the new trailer to No Country for Old Men. Kind of cool knowing somebody with a connection to a Coen Brother's movie. I'm pretty happy for him because he's made a lot of inroads to the major film industry lately, and it is neat seeing an upstart operation do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully, this movie comes out well. The book was great and Cormac McCarthy is my favorite author alive. :goodposting:

Hopefully, this movie comes out well. The book was great and Cormac McCarthy is my favorite author alive. :goodposting:
I know nothing about the author or the book, but the names associated with this picture are pretty big. Is it more a murder mystery or a thriller?

Hopefully, this movie comes out well. The book was great and Cormac McCarthy is my favorite author alive. :whistle:
I know nothing about the author or the book, but the names associated with this picture are pretty big. Is it more a murder mystery or a thriller?
McCarthy doesn't really fit into genre fiction, but of the two options it would be more of a thriller.I'm not very good at describing a book, so I'll just paste Publishers Weekly's review of the book."Starred Review. Seven years after Cities of the Plain brought his acclaimed Border Trilogy to a close, McCarthy returns with a mesmerizing modern-day western. In 1980 southwest Texas, Llewelyn Moss, hunting antelope near the Rio Grande, stumbles across several dead men, a bunch of heroin and $2.4 million in cash. The bulk of the novel is a gripping man-on-the-run sequence relayed in terse, masterful prose as Moss, who's taken the money, tries to evade Wells, an ex–Special Forces agent employed by a powerful cartel, and Chigurh, an icy psychopathic murderer armed with a cattle gun and a dangerous philosophy of justice. Also concerned about Moss's whereabouts is Sheriff Bell, an aging lawman struggling with his sense that there's a new breed of man (embodied in Chigurh) whose destructive power he simply cannot match. In a series of thoughtful first-person passages interspersed throughout, Sheriff Bell laments the changing world, wrestles with an uncomfortable memory from his service in WWII and—a soft ray of light in a book so steeped in bloodshed—rejoices in the great good fortune of his marriage. While the action of the novel thrills, it's the sensitivity and wisdom of Sheriff Bell that makes the book a profound meditation on the battle between good and evil and the roles choice and chance play in the shaping of a life."

The Coen brothers are fantastic. They could make the telephone book in to a movie and I'd still pay to see it. And for the record, I thought "Intolerable Cruelty" was fantastic.

Hopefully, this movie comes out well. The book was great and Cormac McCarthy is my favorite author alive. :thumbup:
Is the book anything like The Road? That was one of the most grim things I've ever read.
And that was one of Oprah's Book Club selections. I have it on reserve at the library, but not sure I want to read it if it's that bad.
It's a great book. I've read several post-apocalyptic novels, and he captures the total despair of the situation like no one I've ever seen. I put it on par with Requiem for a Dream in the sense that it's not a very fun book, but I'm extremely hapy that I've read it. And I'll probably read it again.

Hopefully, this movie comes out well. The book was great and Cormac McCarthy is my favorite author alive. :hophead:
Is the book anything like The Road? That was one of the most grim things I've ever read.
And that was one of Oprah's Book Club selections. I have it on reserve at the library, but not sure I want to read it if it's that bad.
I'm almost done with it now. I don't find it depressing because McCarthy's style of narration is rather sterile. It is bleak though, but also touching.

Hopefully, this movie comes out well. The book was great and Cormac McCarthy is my favorite author alive. :hophead:
It's a great book. I've read several post-apocalyptic novels, and he captures the total despair of the situation like no one I've ever seen. I put it on par with Requiem for a Dream in the sense that it's not a very fun book, but I'm extremely hapy that I've read it. And I'll probably read it again.
Oprah interviewed Cormac in early June. I was surprised because I understand he's reclusive.

that's your response to everything, dude. stretch a little. show some range.
dangle, flunky
"Take your flunky and dangle.", actually.
yeah, but i wanted to double up the jab by calling HIM the flunky. it was awkward but i'm a heavyweight. the punches ain't always graceful.
In that case, just say that all in all he's a decent guy, if looks brains and personality don't count.... :thumbdown:

that's your response to everything, dude. stretch a little. show some range.
dangle, flunky
"Take your flunky and dangle.", actually.
yeah, but i wanted to double up the jab by calling HIM the flunky. it was awkward but i'm a heavyweight. the punches ain't always graceful.
In that case, just say that all in all he's a decent guy, if looks brains and personality don't count.... :thumbdown:
i've met the guy. this is a pretty accurate statement. :goodposting:

I just read this book about a month ago. I didn't even know they were making a movie.

I wonder if this might be a rare case where the movie will actually be better than the book?

Most of the grizzly ending was described in third person. In the movie we should get to witness live action...this probably won't make sense to anyone who has not read the book.

In the book I was rooting for Moss but it ended up being more about Sherrif Ed-Toms philosophical views of life than the actual story of Moss running with the money.

The question is will the Coen Bros make the sherrif the focal point with his personal musings or will they just go after the violence surrounding Chigurh and the sherrif in pursuit turning it into just another shoot-em-up action movie.

I am really looking forward to seeing it. Tommy Lee Jones seems perfect to play the sherrif and not sure who Woody Harrelson plays and I've never seen the actor who is the psychopathic Chigurh.

I just read this book about a month ago. I didn't even know they were making a movie.

I wonder if this might be a rare case where the movie will actually be better than the book?

Most of the grizzly ending was described in third person. In the movie we should get to witness live action...this probably won't make sense to anyone who has not read the book.

In the book I was rooting for Moss but it ended up being more about Sherrif Ed-Toms philosophical views of life than the actual story of Moss running with the money.

The question is will the Coen Bros make the sherrif the focal point with his personal musings or will they just go after the violence surrounding Chigurh and the sherrif in pursuit turning it into just another shoot-em-up action movie.

I am really looking forward to seeing it. Tommy Lee Jones seems perfect to play the sherrif and not sure who Woody Harrelson plays and I've never seen the actor who is the psychopathic Chigurh.
Javier Bardem plays ChigurhProbbaly most well known for playing Reynaldo Arenas in Before Night Falls...

He's a very good actor...

And I think Josh Brolin will be very good as Moss...He was excellent in American Gangster

This looks flippin' awesome.
Did you read the book?
No, but the trailer looks great and I love the Coen Brothers. I may check out the book before it comes out.
It's an awesome book...McCarthy is one of the best writers going....It's a pretty quick read, I would read it before seeing the film...
You've convinced me.
I'm a pretty convincing guy...I once won a debating title in high school merely by reciting the starting lineup for the 1984 Milwaukee Brewers...

This looks flippin' awesome.
Did you read the book?
No, but the trailer looks great and I love the Coen Brothers. I may check out the book before it comes out.
It's an awesome book...McCarthy is one of the best writers going....It's a pretty quick read, I would read it before seeing the film...
You've convinced me.
I'm a pretty convincing guy...I once won a debating title in high school merely by reciting the starting lineup for the 1984 Milwaukee Brewers...
For some reason, I just PayPalled you $50. :goodposting:

Anyone seen it? Apparently this thing doesn't open in Tangiers for a few weeks. Lookin forward to this one.

Saw it. Amazing. I think to get the full effect, you need to be from Texas. They nailed West Texas. The three lead actors are stupefyingly good.

saintfool said:
Finless said:
Anyone seen it? Apparently this thing doesn't open in Tangiers for a few weeks. Lookin forward to this one.
You're in Morocco?
Until Thanksgiving.So Tufs, this puppy opened in Texas this weekend? This select cities deal is beginning to bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread