Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Commish

Views on Homosexuality Changing

What about the right of the child to have two mothers? This is a terrible injustice that heterosexual couples are focing on their offspring!

My question is, what's that point. And since such a point exists, isn't there something inherently problematic about homosexuality that we haven't discussed rationaly?

Almost anything could be problematic if everyone did it to excess. If everyone worked for the circus, that would be a problem. If everyone had as many kids as possible, that would be a problem. If everyone spent all day sleeping, that would be a problem.So, if there is anything inherently problematic with homosexuality, there's also something inherently problematic about carnies, reproduction, and sleep.With that in mind, what aspect of this problem do you feel has not been discussed rationally?

Without ending up labeling myself as a bad person I will try to explain my view.

Growing up pretty much taught there is something wrong with homosexuals, less of a person etc.

Now obviously I grew as a person and have no issues with someone who is gay, except overly flamboyant just works my last nerve.

I just feel like they're trying too hard to let me know they are gay. I can't express it exactly but that drives me insane but no different I guess then any other type of person that I "dislike". I just feel like the whole over the top dramatic stuff is more schtick then being who you really are. I mean if it were a woman who was overly dramatic it would bother me just as much.

I'm sure that didn't come out the way I wanted so please be gentle............

Heck, I know gay people that find flamboyant gays obnoxious.

It's a good point about it being no different than other groups that annoy. Heck, the Alpha Male, check-out-how-straight-I-am routine is pretty annoying too.

I never really thought about it too much, to be honest, because I am only really concerned with who I am sleeping with, and who may be willing to sleep with me. These happen to be women, so I have zero interest in who other men choose to sleep with. Other men? Women? Fine. I'm not interested.

I asked a question on a Friday more for the Friday factor then anything else awhile back, but the responses really got me thinking. So, I will ask it again, seriously this time - and not knowing the correct answer.

If homosexuality is ok - however you define it - then I'm thinking that we should be ok with all of humanity becomming or chosing to be, gay. Is this a problem for our species? Or, simply go with our country. Would it be ok for our country, our people, to all be gay. Would that be a problem at all?

If it is a problem, then at some level, there is something wrong with homosexuality that our species shouldn't support and encourage, isn't there?

1) I don't think it would really be a problem if everyone was gay

2) But even if it were a problem for everyone to be gay, that doesn't mean we should discourage anyone from being gay. For example, I think it would be problematic for our country if everyone decided to work in the circus. But it's not a problem if just some people decide to work in the circus.

1. I'm thinking it would be a problem if everyone was gay. The survival of the species would be problematic. But that aside.

2. Here's where the theory of the question interests me. I agree with you. However, we must then agree that there is a tipping point - a point where there are too many people working for the circus.

My question is, what's that point. And since such a point exists, isn't there something inherently problematic about homosexuality that we haven't discussed rationaly?

I think you'll find - much like working in the circus - that the free market would be pretty good at taking care of that tipping point if it exists.

With current advancements in fertilization, it's not like the survival of the species depends on Jim-Bob and Jolene in the back seat of Daddy's station wagon anymore. Planned pregnancies would be just fine in continuing the survival of the species, and many gay couples want to (and do) raise children.

I understand that position. I just find it pretty scary that people would be ok with our species ceasing natural procreation and usuing only scientific processes. Something about that seems very unhuman to me and not something I find a benefit in at all.

But the free market ideal is interesting. Are you saying that, if it does happen where man becomes too homosexual in terms of percentage of population, that nature would somehow change course and stop it?

I think that people are hard-wired to react to trauma, fear, or severe change by seeking comfort through procreation. The species isn't going anywhere.
Well, obviously you haven't watched Al Gore's movie then. Apparantly, we are all going to die the next time someone fills up the gas tank of an H.........
And if procreation would help stop that, I think it wouldn't be an issue.

2. If there's a tipping point for homosexuality, I don't think we're anywhere near it, and I don't see any chance that we ever would be.

That's not my question, though, and you are dodging me and you know it. Why is it so hard for you to accept that there may be a problem with homosexuality? You see problems in so many other peoples and lifestyles, right down to the homeland of your own people. Why are you so hesitant to see one here?

There is a common belief that homosexuality is 'unnatural' - a condition only known to fallen humanity. The rest of the animal world allegedly knows no such practice, as their only motivation for mating is the age old instinct for procreation. But is that really the case? Numerous studies have shown that same-sex couplings occur among animals, both in the field and in the lab.

1 Male-male and female-female sexual activity has been observed in numerous reptilian, avian and mammalian species, with arrangements ranging from short-term trysts to stable long-term pairings.

2 Biological Exuberance (St Martin's Press), by linguist and cognitive scientist Bruce Bagemihl, mentioned 94 bird species known to engage in homosexual behavior. One such species is geese (Anser Anser) - about 15 percent of pair-bondings between geese are between males, and some relationships have been documented to last over 15 years. A male bonded to another male shows 'grief' after his partner dies, just as males bonded to females do.

3 Homosexuality couplings in nature do not necessarily exclude reproduction. For example, among swans, a female may mate with a gay couple and then leave her eggs for them to raise. Male couples are documented to have a higher success rate in fledging their young compared to male-female couples (80% vs 30%).

4 Both male and female homosexual behavior has been reported in over 100 mammalian species, including primates.

5 Female-female sexual encounters are well-documented among bonobos (pygmy chimpanzees), and appear to serve a social function of cementing 'alliances' and cooperation among females.

6 The purpose of pointing out the existence of homosexual behavior in both wild and domestic species is not to 'promote' homosexuality or persuade the opponents of homosexuality to change their minds. Each person is entitled to his/her own moral views. We are merely suggesting that opponents of homosexuality should probably not use 'nature' as an argument.

Link

This isn't news. Taken to an extreme, of course it would create an issue for survival of any species. So would eating nothing but chocolate bon-bons.

turkey basters??? Are you freakin kidding me????What about the childs right to have BOTH a mother and a father!?!?!?!?Everyone seems to only worry about the adults rights. What about the childs rights???? :goodposting:

Children deserve loving parent(s). Simple as that. The only thing that is difficult for kids of homosexual couples is they have to explain to all their friends how they are different. Kids are different in a lot of ways.
The only difficult thing for kids is explaining to their friends? I saw The Birdcage, you are leaving out tons of stuff, I got to say the most difficult thing for the kids would be the gay male maid.

I asked a question on a Friday more for the Friday factor then anything else awhile back, but the responses really got me thinking. So, I will ask it again, seriously this time - and not knowing the correct answer.

If homosexuality is ok - however you define it - then I'm thinking that we should be ok with all of humanity becomming or chosing to be, gay. Is this a problem for our species? Or, simply go with our country. Would it be ok for our country, our people, to all be gay. Would that be a problem at all?

If it is a problem, then at some level, there is something wrong with homosexuality that our species shouldn't support and encourage, isn't there?

Couldn't this same argument be applied to heterosexuals who choose not to procreate. Should we deny them equal rights because it would be a bad things if everyone chose not to procreate?
I'm not making an equal rights argument. You know I favor equal rights for everyone, no matter how they enjoy sex.

I'm thinking this is a broader - mankind - type of question. In that regard, I see your point about heteros that choose not to have children. But they can still accidently get pregnant when trying not to. Homosexual sex does not allow that error to occur.

But the same problem fatguy brought forth would apply. It's ok that some hetero's choose not to have kids. But is there a tipping point there where it is problematic for our species?

By the way, careful not to say this in France: http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/1868

He also said that “homosexual behaviour endangers the survival of humanity.” This is a statement one is no longer allowed to make in France.

Times, they are a changin'

Story Highlights:

• CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll finds attitudes evolving

• For first time, majority think homosexuality is unchangeable

• In 1977, 13 percent of poll respondents said gays were born that way

• 39 percent in latest poll say people are born gay

~~~~~~~~~

On a personal note, I experienced my first gay pride parade in NYC this last weekend. I was quickly engaged by a a female couple and male couple wondering why I would be at this parade. I told them I was curious about it and decided to stop by and see if I could learn something. We started chit chatting and I learned a great deal. The most unexpected thing I learned was both couples believed it was a lifestyle of choice, which goes against this article a bit, but it was really interesting to talk to these folks to get their view on the topic. :thumbup:

I think you can discover your gayness...

My own personal opinion on the subject is that 95-99% of the time, being gay is a genetic "switch" if you will that some people are born with. Traumatic life events of any variety that leave deep emotional scars can trigger this "switch" and literally make your body confused. Some of these life events can be the death of a child or loved one, getting beaten or molested as a child, or simply getting severely picked on growing up.

That's my opinion. So yes, I do think they can "turn gay". I think that they can be living with that switch unflipped and then BANG, something flips the switch and they begin to head down that road.

Story Highlights:

~~~~~~~~~

On a personal note, I experienced my first gay pride parade in NYC this last weekend. I was quickly engaged by a a female couple and male couple wondering why I would be at this parade. I told them I was curious about it and decided to stop by and see if I could learn something. We started chit chatting and I learned a great deal. The most unexpected thing I learned was both couples believed it was a lifestyle of choice, which goes against this article a bit, but it was really interesting to talk to these folks to get their view on the topic. :thumbup:

My own personal opinion on the subject is that 95-99% of the time, being gay is a genetic "switch" if you will that some people are born with. Traumatic life events of any variety that leave deep emotional scars can trigger this "switch" and literally make your body confused. Some of these life events can be the death of a child or loved one, getting beaten or molested as a child, or simply getting severely picked on growing up.

That's my opinion. So yes, I do think they can "turn gay". I think that they can be living with that switch unflipped and then BANG, something flips the switch and they begin to head down that road.

That's funny. Same thing I think about when I read crazy conservatives on message boards. Some genetic weakness that gets switched off by trauma.

BANG!

I've heard that some gays were that way due to some major event happening to them when they were young (such as molestation).

But I've also seen kids who seemed very gay at a young age grow up to be gay adults.

pretty sure it doesn't matter whether or not someone is born gay or they chose to be gay

My brother has the gay, and I can tell you he was definately born with it. For Christmas he always wanted Barbies EZ bake Ovens...etc. Sucked for me growing up because I had no interest in playing with his toys.

More than any other post I've ever read about homosexuality, this puts it all in perspective.

Churches caused homosexuality? :no:

Religion is largely responsible for anti-gay sentiment in the first place. Some churches are now coming around and becoming more tolerant, but they certainly weren't the agents of change.
Do you have any proof of this? I came from a town that was not overtly religious, and anti-gay attitudes in my youth were quite common. I never connected the source of anti-gay sentiments with religion.

I watched the Tony's last night by myself, so I agree :bs:

:

Any particular recent event cause you to bump a 2 year old thread to declare this? :ptts:

Any particular recent event cause you to bump a 2 year old thread to declare this? :goodposting:
His spidey senses, among other things, are tingling.

Churches caused homosexuality? :goodposting:

Religion is largely responsible for anti-gay sentiment in the first place. Some churches are now coming around and becoming more tolerant, but they certainly weren't the agents of change.
Do you have any proof of this? I came from a town that was not overtly religious, and anti-gay attitudes in my youth were quite common. I never connected the source of anti-gay sentiments with religion.
The repression of sexuality can cause some to explore different aspects of their sexuality. The sweetest fruit is always the most forbidden kind of mentality.

pretty sure it doesn't matter whether or not someone is born gay or they chose to be gay

It's an interesting academic question. Nature v nurture and all that.Part of the problem is that politics and agendas really distort the science on this question.related question: Is there a genetic component to criminal behavior?

It's an interesting academic question. Nature v nurture and all that.Part of the problem is that politics and agendas really distort the science on this question.related question: Is there a genetic component to criminal behavior?
Is there a genetic component from empathy?

Any particular recent event cause you to bump a 2 year old thread to declare this? :(
Is it not a reasonable topic to discuss today?

Any particular recent event cause you to bump a 2 year old thread to declare this? :confused:
I think it's a fabulous topic. And I'm very happy for him.

Any particular recent event cause you to bump a 2 year old thread to declare this? :goodposting:
:popcorn:

Not sure why you would single him out, I think you should be happy for us all!

Story Highlights:

~~~~~~~~~

That's funny. Same thing I think about when I read crazy conservatives on message boards. Some genetic weakness that gets switched off by trauma.

BANG!

Thats funny. I had a friend who was gay for about 4 years in her mid 20's. She said she was born that way at the time. She is now married with 2 kids.

BANG!!

Thats funny. I had a friend who was gay for about 4 years in her mid 20's.

I'm sure you heard this a lot.

Thats funny. I had a friend who was gay for about 4 years in her mid 20's.

I'm sure you heard this a lot.
Actually no,BANG!

This editorial from one of my favorite news sources is strangely convincing.

If God Had Wanted Me To Be Accepting Of Gays, He Would Have Given Me The Warmth And Compassion To Do So

By Jane Kendricks

October 13, 2009

I don't question God. The Lord is my Shepherd and I shall put none above Him. Which is why I know that if it were part of God's plan for me to stop viciously condemning others based solely on their sexual preference, He would have seen fit—in His infinite wisdom and all—to have given me the tiniest bit of human empathy necessary to do so.

It's a simple matter of logic, really. God made me who I am, and who I am is a cold, anti-gay zealot. Thus, I abhor gay people because God made me that way. Why is that so hard to understand?

Here, let's start with the basic facts: I hate and fear gay people. The way they feel is different from how I feel, and that causes me a lot of confusion and anger. Everyone knows God is all-powerful. He could easily have given me the capacity to investigate what's behind those feelings rather than tell strangers in the park they're going to hell for holding hands. But God clearly has another path for me. And who am I to question His divine will?

Compassion, tolerance, understanding, basic decency, the ability to put myself in another person's position: God could have endowed me with any of those traits and yet—here is the crucial part—He didn't. Why? Because the Creator of the Universe wants me to demonize homosexuals in an effort to strip them of their fundamental human rights.

I'm sorry, but you can't possibly ask me to explain everything God does. He works in mysterious ways, remember?

Try to understand. If I were capable of thinking and acting any other way, then I'm sure I would, but God seems to be quite adamant about this one. He's just not budging at all. So unless our almighty Lord and Savior decides to change His mind about my ability to empathize on even the most basic level—which I find highly unlikely—then everyone is just going to have to accept the fact that I'm going to keep on hating homosexuals. And I know that He will fill me with the strength to remain mindless and hurtful in the face of adversity.

Which isn't to say that my faith hasn't been tested. Believe me, there have been times when I've drifted from the bitter and terrified life God has chosen for me. When my younger brother told me he was gay, it shook my faith to its very core. But here I am, 27 years later, still refusing to take his calls. Just the way God intended.

It's actually pretty astonishing how many complaints to the school board you can make regarding the new band teacher you've never met when you are filled with the Light of Christ and devoid of any real kindness or mercy toward His other children.

At the end of the day, I'm just trying to lead a good Christian life. That means going to church on Sunday, following the Ten Commandments, and fighting what I believe to be a sexual abomination through a series of petty actions and bitter comments made under my breath. Sure, I sometimes wish God would just reach into my heart and give me the ability to treat all people with, at the very least, the decency and respect they deserve as human beings. But unfortunately for that new couple who moved in three houses down, He hasn't yet.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have God's work to do.

I think for some of them, it's genetic, for others it's a choice. But if they're happy, why should we care?

We shouldn't care. The why really isn't important, imo and should have no bearing on their benefits as citizens of this country.
:goodposting::lmao::goodposting:
Oddly enough, my views on homosexuality haven't changed in the last 26+ months.

From the thread title, I had assumed that The Commish was coming out of the closet.

that's what i was hoping for
if you're looking to meet gay men, this is probably not the site for you. sorry.
True. This probably is not the site for you. There are a few bars, however, where you can meet a nice gay professional man or homosexual cop. Protect and service.

I think for some of them, it's genetic, for others it's a choice. But if they're happy, why should we care?

We shouldn't care. The why really isn't important, imo and should have no bearing on their benefits as citizens of this country.
:(:goodposting: :goodposting:

I really hope you aren't serious MT.

I really hope you aren't serious MT.
Nothing suspicious at all about MT saying it was from one of his favorite news sources but not including a link.

Churches caused homosexuality? :goodposting:

Why wouldn't you consider tolerance among churches an agent of change, especially when churches were initially the hotbed of intolerance with regard to homosexuality? I expect there could be some analogy appropriate with the Civil Rights Movement here, but I'm not a historian.
Churches were at the forefront of the Civil Rights movement. They haven't generally (with a few small exceptions) been at the forefront of the gay rights movement. The changes they have made (again, with a few small exceptions) have been in response to changes in society at large.
The Episcopal church recently moved a gay priest up to their equivalent of a Bishop status (or something like that anyway). They obviously don't speak for everyone, but they're quite a bit in this regard.

Story Highlights:

~~~~~~~~~

On a personal note, I experienced my first gay pride parade in NYC this last weekend. I was quickly engaged by a a female couple and male couple wondering why I would be at this parade. I told them I was curious about it and decided to stop by and see if I could learn something. We started chit chatting and I learned a great deal. The most unexpected thing I learned was both couples believed it was a lifestyle of choice, which goes against this article a bit, but it was really interesting to talk to these folks to get their view on the topic. :goodposting:

So you're saying your bi-curious?

NTTAWWT.

Churches caused homosexuality? :lmao:

Why wouldn't you consider tolerance among churches an agent of change, especially when churches were initially the hotbed of intolerance with regard to homosexuality? I expect there could be some analogy appropriate with the Civil Rights Movement here, but I'm not a historian.
Churches were at the forefront of the Civil Rights movement. They haven't generally (with a few small exceptions) been at the forefront of the gay rights movement. The changes they have made (again, with a few small exceptions) have been in response to changes in society at large.
The Episcopal church recently moved a gay priest up to their equivalent of a Bishop status (or something like that anyway). They obviously don't speak for everyone, but they're quite a bit in this regard.
They don't even speak for all Episcopal churches. There is a major divide in the Episcopal church right now over this issue.

I understand that position. I just find it pretty scary that people would be ok with our species ceasing natural procreation and usuing only scientific processes. Something about that seems very unhuman to me and not something I find a benefit in at all.

Wasn't such a society used in a futuristic Sylvester Stallone/Wesley Snipes movie?
Actually, Demolition Man took place in 1999. Only thing they came close to correctly predicting was Schwarznegger's political ambitions.
I'm pretty sure it didn't take place in 1999.ETA: according to Wikipedia, it took place in 2032... but Stallone and Snipes were frozen in 1996 despite the movie being released in 1993.
Only 23 more years to go until we cease natural procreation for scientific processes. :thumbup:

I'm all for homosexuality being accepted, but I am amazed at how far we've come at accepting public displays of it. :goodposting:

They don't even speak for all Episcopal churches. There is a major divide in the Episcopal church right now over this issue.

Actually, the divide in the Episcopal Chruch is a divide in the entire Anglican Communion, of which the Episcopal Church is a small part. The divide is over the authority of scripture and in some instances, even the divinity of Jesus; homosexuality is just a symptomatic issue of the larger disagreement. :kicksrock:

If God Had Wanted Me To Be Accepting Of Gays, He Would Have Given Me The Warmth And Compassion To Do So

By Jane Kendricks

October 13, 2009

I don't question God. The Lord is my Shepherd and I shall put none above Him. Which is why I know that if it were part of God's plan for me to stop viciously condemning others based solely on their sexual preference, He would have seen fit—in His infinite wisdom and all—to have given me the tiniest bit of human empathy necessary to do so.

It's a simple matter of logic, really. God made me who I am, and who I am is a cold, anti-gay zealot. Thus, I abhor gay people because God made me that way. Why is that so hard to understand?

Here, let's start with the basic facts: I hate and fear gay people. The way they feel is different from how I feel, and that causes me a lot of confusion and anger. Everyone knows God is all-powerful. He could easily have given me the capacity to investigate what's behind those feelings rather than tell strangers in the park they're going to hell for holding hands. But God clearly has another path for me. And who am I to question His divine will?

Compassion, tolerance, understanding, basic decency, the ability to put myself in another person's position: God could have endowed me with any of those traits and yet—here is the crucial part—He didn't. Why? Because the Creator of the Universe wants me to demonize homosexuals in an effort to strip them of their fundamental human rights.

I'm sorry, but you can't possibly ask me to explain everything God does. He works in mysterious ways, remember?

Try to understand. If I were capable of thinking and acting any other way, then I'm sure I would, but God seems to be quite adamant about this one. He's just not budging at all. So unless our almighty Lord and Savior decides to change His mind about my ability to empathize on even the most basic level—which I find highly unlikely—then everyone is just going to have to accept the fact that I'm going to keep on hating homosexuals. And I know that He will fill me with the strength to remain mindless and hurtful in the face of adversity.

Which isn't to say that my faith hasn't been tested. Believe me, there have been times when I've drifted from the bitter and terrified life God has chosen for me. When my younger brother told me he was gay, it shook my faith to its very core. But here I am, 27 years later, still refusing to take his calls. Just the way God intended.

It's actually pretty astonishing how many complaints to the school board you can make regarding the new band teacher you've never met when you are filled with the Light of Christ and devoid of any real kindness or mercy toward His other children.

At the end of the day, I'm just trying to lead a good Christian life. That means going to church on Sunday, following the Ten Commandments, and fighting what I believe to be a sexual abomination through a series of petty actions and bitter comments made under my breath. Sure, I sometimes wish God would just reach into my heart and give me the ability to treat all people with, at the very least, the decency and respect they deserve as human beings. But unfortunately for that new couple who moved in three houses down, He hasn't yet.

I posted this in the Harvey Milk thread yesterday but no one responded...

Well, I just checked and my views haven't changed.

:lmao:you have to get with the times

By Jane Kendricks

October 13, 2009

Whether or not this anti-gay argument seems logical depends quite a bit on one's opinion on whether we possess free will or not.

:yes:you have to get with the times
I dont hop on "PC" bandwagons, Sorry. :thumbup:

:shrug:you have to get with the times
I dont hop on "PC" bandwagons, Sorry. :mellow:
$20 says you have gay urges at least once a week. It's always the most anti-gay people that are usually (at least part) gay.

Maybe as a kid & teen he was playing with barbies at home when we weren't around, and maybe the girlfriends were just a front but he was mostly manly when with me and our friends.

Not every gay man played with barbies as a kid, and not every gay man acts "unmanly".

$20 says you have gay urges at least once a week. It's always the most anti-gay people that are usually (at least part) gay.

I think Peens has been compared to the Chris Cooper character in "American Beauty" about a dozen times on this board.

I think Peens has been compared to the Chris Cooper character in "American Beauty" about a dozen times on this board.
Whatever helps you guys sleep better at night :sadbanana: