What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marital Advice - Friendly camping trip too friendly? (1 Viewer)

What do I do next?

• Nothing, let it go.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Go to counseling.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Have my wife call this guy to figure out the events.

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • [No response text]

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters
I haven't read all the responses so forgive if I reiterate stuff that's already been covered:1. George is not a true friend...in my book. Yes, he told you to check on your wife...twice even...which gains him points. But...he could've stepped in there to do more to stop while there...but not everyone would do that...so I can give him a pass here. However...he told a third party that your wife was holding Steve's junk. Dude...at that point...it's readily apparent that you and your wife are entertainment and you're nothing more than a joke to him. If I were George...then I would've told you...and no one else...or not said anything at all. I might've stepped in at the time...might not have...depends on the situation and how serious I think it can get. Also...after the fact, George has clammed up. I can understand this to a point...but if your wife won't tell you anything and you're still asking me...then I would just air it all out. Unless I had a tighter friendship with Steve. Which...again...tells me that George really isn't a friend. I'd have a heart to heart with George and tell him straight up...he can either tell me every freaking minute detail or we're done talking altogether. I'd put the ball in his court.2. Dude...please tell me that you do not buy that nonsense about your wife "not knowing what kinda guy Steve was". Please dude...just stop it. Women know men. They know pretty damned instinctively which guy will put a hurtin' on that 'gina at the drop of a hat...or in this case, drop of a zipper. She knew...definitely knows moreso now. It doesn't take long to pick up on those primal signals...but didn't you say she's been friends with these guys for many years? Come on bro...stop fooling yourself and tell your wife to please stop embarrassing herself and humiliating you by continuing that nonsense.3. More happened. Although, if I wanted this to rest in my mind...I'd just assume they just showed each other their junk and the 15 minutes was how long it took Steve to convince her to own up to her end of the bargain. Problem is...she acts like she doesn't remember a freaking thing...and then when confronted with all this, just simply says blah and goes back to folding laundry. A man could've possibly raped her. Does she show real concern? No. Does she want answers. No. After a few days of not knowing is she becoming more concerned. No. She knows exactly what happened and just wants this all to go away.4. Don't buy into the "she must not have talked to Steve because he said she pushed up on him" bull. She and he have talked...I know it. He and George have also talked. It's all been washed. Steve probably freaked a bit when George and her told him so she offered for him to say she pushed in on him...what are you going to do...she says she was totally plastered and doesn't remember anything so how can she be blamed for something she did "unknowingly"? And let me tell you something brother...if a friend called me up and started asking me questions about what happened I would've responded with more heat if I were innocent. I'll be damned if some broad is going to say I took her boobs out when I didn't. I would've responded with, "What did she say happened exactly?" and I would've been interrogating you and her at that point. No way do I just say, "No man...didn't happen."5. That conversation with your wife is definitely a hint. She's put out some preliminary excuses for her behavior with "anytime a man finds a mother of two attractive" nonsense...and being "stuck with the kids". You've got work ahead of you. Get into counseling and make sure you air out everything that's going on...because those little hints can end up being landmines before long.6. What else can you do here? You're not the type to sit all parties down and have it out so what are you left with? Time has passed...all parties have washed the story so you're stuck. I hope counseling will help but not sure how it will since you know...you KNOW more happened but she won't admit it...not even to the therapist. Good luck with this bro...if it were me...I'd do like I said before and just forgive and forget. It was just sex...and probably just two people admiring each other's junk at worst. But I'll be damned if I allow "just held his junk" and "blackout" as being the end to this. If it were me...I'd honestly get past it being the worst case scenario and just tell her straight up, "Hey...I know you and Steve knocked it out in the stall...and honestly...I'm cool with it...but I'm not cool with the coverup."7. Lastly...even if you can't somehow forgive and forget...know that you are the reason for this. Yes, she may have stepped out and did whatever...but you let it happen. And probably not just at this camping site. What I mean is...stop being a victim and get involved in your life. Be who you want to be and take control of your life. And most importantly...if a friend or even a passerby ever tells you, "Hey bro...you should check on your wife...DUDE...FOR GOD'S SAKE...get off your @zz!"
TDOSS is $$$

How many people in here would be able to trust their spouses again after this situation?

I truly do not believe I could ever again. Then agonize each day of what happened and will it happen again. It is not worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many people in here would be able to trust their spouses again after this situation?

I truly do not believe I could ever again. Then agonize each day of what happened and will it happen again. It is not worth it.
It would be tough, but I think I could forgive my wife if it happened. That's easy for me to say now becuase she's never done anything like this, and I'd be shocked if she ever did. I disagree with that last bolded sentence. My wife and my marriage are definitely worth it.

It would be tough, but I think I could forgive my wife if it happened. That's easy for me to say now becuase she's never done anything like this, and I'd be shocked if she ever did. I disagree with that last bolded sentence. My wife and my marriage are definitely worth it.
Agree with wildbill. I would be interested in knowing the long term relationship history of all those who scream it is not worth it. I would think the majority of those who have a long term relationship would me more willing to try to forgive and repair things to save the relationship.

18 Years for me. Not worth it to me meaning: The agonizing. I know how I am and I am not as forgiving as some and to put 18 years in and and know something like this has happened where does that leave you? 18 years down the drain or what? I have contemplated this many times and cannot see me clearing it out of my head. Can you honestly say you could forgive truly and clear the slate?

18 Years for me. Not worth it to me meaning: The agonizing. I know how I am and I am not as forgiving as some and to put 18 years in and and know something like this has happened where does that leave you? 18 years down the drain or what? I have contemplated this many times and cannot see me clearing it out of my head. Can you honestly say you could forgive truly and clear the slate?
Being cheated on would hurt, but I think losing my wife would hurt even more. Marriages weaker than ours have survived infidelity.

Being cheated on would hurt, but I think losing my wife would hurt even more. Marriages weaker than ours have survived infidelity.
I'm willing to endure a lot of hurt if it saves my sons the hurt of growing up in a broken home.

I'm willing to endure a lot of hurt if it saves my sons the hurt of growing up in a broken home.
:heartofgold:

P.S.S. I dont blame you for not going to check on them. That is basically admitting to yourself your wife would cheat on you, which is almost as bad as her doing it.
I can't believe that in a 50-page thread, someone actually had a concept that no one has presented yet. You are the first person to take this point of view, I believe. I'm not sure I agree with it, but it is a compelling thought.
Yep, I have read each and every post ( :goodposting: ) and this is unique.

Here is your weekend update. What next?In a shocking twist (riiiiggghht) Steve and his wife did not make it to the wedding. It was actually a pretty good time. George was there, and I didn't learn anything new. He was the only guy there that was on the camping trip. But here's where it gets interesting.I was at my parents' house this afternoon, and Steve returned my call. My cell rang and I saw the ID, but I did not answer considering I was in the middle of a B day lunch (nephew and dad). He left a message saying he'd be around all day and to call him back. So, we drove the couple hours back home, and I dropped my wife and kids off at her parents while I went to 'unpack the car'. So, first thing I did was call Steve back. His four year old answers. Says her dad's outside, but I can talk to her mom. Sweet. So, Steve's wife gets on and we exchange hello's and chat a bit. Steve is outside mowing the lawn, but she stops him and give him the phone. Paraphrased below:Steve: Hey, what's up?Me: Well, the reason I'm calling is my wife says that your camping trip to the bathroom got a little bit out of control.Steve: Ah, well. I don't think it was out of control.Me: Oh, well, she filled me in on her version, so I'd like to hear from you what went down.Steve: Well, nothing really happened. Me: What was she doing in the stall with you?Steve: Oh, she was goofing around. Followed me in and stood behind me, then just kind of jokingly reached over when I was peeing. Nothing happened at all.Me: Well, that sounds like something. So, what happened after that?Steve: Nothing. Me: Did she take her cans out of her shirt or did you?Steve: I don't remember that happening at all.Me: Oh really? She was pretty sure she showed you her rack.Steve: I'm pretty sure I'd remember that. That didn't happen.Me: Oh. OK. Well, so she held your junk while you peed.Steve: Well, not really. She kind of got right behind me and pushed me a bit. Then leaned over and took a peak.Me: As I hear it, she was actually holding your junk, not just looking.Steve: No, I would remember that. She might've gotten a peak, but that's it.Me: Right, OK. She seems to remember things a bit differently.Steve: Dude, I swear. Nothing really went down. I didn't see her rack, and she didn't touch my junk.Me: Well, she's pretty freaked out and wants to hear what you have to say about it too.Steve: If anything would've happened, i would remember it.blah, blah, blah.....____________________________________________________So, now what. It's been confirmed that she was in the stall, and that she was standing pretty much directly pushed up against him from behind. He says she reached for his junk jokingly, but never touched it. There was no explanation given for the length of time it took to make it back to camp. I have not said a word to my wife about this yet. Interestingly, she has not said a word about this in about two days. I have barely talked to her, other than minror chit chat. That's tough during a two hour car ride. She seems like she got over her 'shock' of this pretty quick.Not sure what to do next.....
late to the party, im not going to read many of the responses but:Your wife doesnt feel the repercussions of her actions. She felt it was ok to get drunk and "cheat" on you because of how she felt about someone else. I have no problem with her having a crush on Steve, but acting on those actions, taking the chance to #### up her marriage is not ok. My guess is she feels you will always forgive her. She is in scared mode right now, but depending on how you handle the situation will depend on whether or not she will consider something like this in the future.Good luck

Here is your weekend update. What next?In a shocking twist (riiiiggghht) Steve and his wife did not make it to the wedding. It was actually a pretty good time. George was there, and I didn't learn anything new. He was the only guy there that was on the camping trip. But here's where it gets interesting.I was at my parents' house this afternoon, and Steve returned my call. My cell rang and I saw the ID, but I did not answer considering I was in the middle of a B day lunch (nephew and dad). He left a message saying he'd be around all day and to call him back. So, we drove the couple hours back home, and I dropped my wife and kids off at her parents while I went to 'unpack the car'. So, first thing I did was call Steve back. His four year old answers. Says her dad's outside, but I can talk to her mom. Sweet. So, Steve's wife gets on and we exchange hello's and chat a bit. Steve is outside mowing the lawn, but she stops him and give him the phone. Paraphrased below:Steve: Hey, what's up?Me: Well, the reason I'm calling is my wife says that your camping trip to the bathroom got a little bit out of control.Steve: Ah, well. I don't think it was out of control.Me: Oh, well, she filled me in on her version, so I'd like to hear from you what went down.Steve: Well, nothing really happened. Me: What was she doing in the stall with you?Steve: Oh, she was goofing around. Followed me in and stood behind me, then just kind of jokingly reached over when I was peeing. Nothing happened at all.Me: Well, that sounds like something. So, what happened after that?Steve: Nothing. Me: Did she take her cans out of her shirt or did you?Steve: I don't remember that happening at all.Me: Oh really? She was pretty sure she showed you her rack.Steve: I'm pretty sure I'd remember that. That didn't happen.Me: Oh. OK. Well, so she held your junk while you peed.Steve: Well, not really. She kind of got right behind me and pushed me a bit. Then leaned over and took a peak.Me: As I hear it, she was actually holding your junk, not just looking.Steve: No, I would remember that. She might've gotten a peak, but that's it.Me: Right, OK. She seems to remember things a bit differently.Steve: Dude, I swear. Nothing really went down. I didn't see her rack, and she didn't touch my junk.Me: Well, she's pretty freaked out and wants to hear what you have to say about it too.Steve: If anything would've happened, i would remember it.blah, blah, blah.....____________________________________________________So, now what. It's been confirmed that she was in the stall, and that she was standing pretty much directly pushed up against him from behind. He says she reached for his junk jokingly, but never touched it. There was no explanation given for the length of time it took to make it back to camp. I have not said a word to my wife about this yet. Interestingly, she has not said a word about this in about two days. I have barely talked to her, other than minror chit chat. That's tough during a two hour car ride. She seems like she got over her 'shock' of this pretty quick.Not sure what to do next.....
late to the party, im not going to read many of the responses but:Your wife doesnt feel the repercussions of her actions. She felt it was ok to get drunk and "cheat" on you because of how she felt about someone else. I have no problem with her having a crush on Steve, but acting on those actions, taking the chance to #### up her marriage is not ok. My guess is she feels you will always forgive her. She is in scared mode right now, but depending on how you handle the situation will depend on whether or not she will consider something like this in the future.Good luck
Did she REALLY even cheat? I mean, this sounds like a silly drunk woman stepping a touch over the line, but if we take the words of Steve at face value, they didn't kiss, they knew others were around, there was no junk grabbing as earlier speculated, there was no can exposure. It sounds like horseplay that wasn't good judgement, but was far far far away from a full blown affair.

Nothing really new to report here. Though my wife's behavior right now is confusing me a bit. She just doesn't seem interested in this coming back up again at all. She's just kind of going on like none of it matters at this point. That bothers me a bit.

In any case, I started looking around for marriage counseling today. But, I felt kind of silly. Would you all recommend this as a next step?

Nothing really new to report here. Though my wife's behavior right now is confusing me a bit. She just doesn't seem interested in this coming back up again at all. She's just kind of going on like none of it matters at this point. That bothers me a bit.In any case, I started looking around for marriage counseling today. But, I felt kind of silly. Would you all recommend this as a next step?
*sigh*

Nothing really new to report here. Though my wife's behavior right now is confusing me a bit. She just doesn't seem interested in this coming back up again at all. She's just kind of going on like none of it matters at this point. That bothers me a bit.In any case, I started looking around for marriage counseling today. But, I felt kind of silly. Would you all recommend this as a next step?
*sigh*
Here's the thing. After actually reading about the potential therapists, I felt pretty stupid. They seem to be dealing with some pretty hardcore stuff, and I felt like what I'm dealing with is pretty minor by camparison. I just wanted to a little affirmation on the decision to do this. Sorry. I guess it couldn't hurt no matter what.

It's not confusing to you. You know this. I'd read Tdoss' post again. He nails it.

Hmmmm... not sure what to make of this, but I can't say it is good news. But again, I don't want to overeact. Even if all that happened was some inappropriate touching/flirting and such, she may feel ashamed enough to think that rises to the extent of actual sex... hence she wants to avoid it. The fact that her memory is not totally clear (at least that is what she claims) may also mean that she remembers some "bad things" happening, but nothing TOO bad, and wonders if perhaps more did happen even if it did not.Regardless, you need to get to counseling and you need to have her communicate. In the end, whatever happened in that bathroom will not end your relationship. However, not communicating, not getting over this issue and not building a real trust for the future WILL do just that.So let her know that as worried as you are about what may or may not have happened between her and steve, the fact that she is unwilling to really discuss or acknowledge it will do far more harm than the inappropriate actions themselves.

From reading only your updates and few other responses I would say the next step for you would be to bring it up one more time with the wife... clear the air and let it go. Might take some gumption from you to do so, but letting your wife know you will not bring it up again will be a relief to her as well as yourself.The only solution I have would be to get rid of Steve as a friend. You know his past and if you are not comfortable with him than let him go. Your wife can talk to his wife and so forth because they have that recent history but that is about it. Any functions you go to and Steve is there pretend he is not. Your wife should understand that you will not want to do anything around Steve from now on as well... at least she should.

*sigh*
Here's the thing. After actually reading about the potential therapists, I felt pretty stupid. They seem to be dealing with some pretty hardcore stuff, and I felt like what I'm dealing with is pretty minor by camparison. I just wanted to a little affirmation on the decision to do this. Sorry. I guess it couldn't hurt no matter what.
A good chance at some level of infidelity, even minor is enough reason to seek counseling, especially if you are not able/willing to confront the issue and work it out on your own. Having that professional 3rd party will ensure that these issues are brought into the open.The fact that your wife is trying to shove this under the rug as if nothing at all happened, and that lack of communication/openness on an issue that does indeed end marriages is ABSOLUTELY enough reason to seek outside help.

Although the initial feeling was sick to my stomach, I think you're overdoing it with counseling. Unless she SERIOUSLY did something, like actual fondling, I would just forget it.Unless you think Steve is that much of a #####, I doubt much went down. If you think it did, I would cut ties with Steve altogether, because if it did, it's a "friendship wrecker" or a "marriage wrecker." -- you choose.

And the push to 3000 posts is on!

Therapists deal with a wide range of issues, but they're going to advertise their experience with and the ability to handle the very worst. While your situation may seem minor in regards to other potential relationship issues, you shouldn't feel silly, because your issue can realistically have a very serious effect on your relationship. If you're concerned that they'll only handle the very worst and laugh and send you packing after the first visit, then briefly spell out your problem before hand to make sure they're interested in handling something 'so minor'. I'm sure you won't find one therapist to turn you down.

*sigh*
It might be minor in the grand scheme of things, but this is obviously a major deal to you and the fact that your wife refuses to see it that way is troubling you tremendously. Therapists, at least those I've dealt with, don't make verdicts on the serverity of the troubles. They are there to listen, help the two of you talk to each other, discuss events openly and allow you to bring to the table all the troubles you have at full value. Often times, a spouse will discount your emotional feelings, which is what is happening here. Her shrugging this off is another way of saying you aren't entitled to feel so strongly about this anymore. Well, that's not her call and at the very least, a therapist will help lend validity to what's eating you up inside.And chances are you only go a few times. It's really just a starting off point. The real work needs to be done at home. Tdoss has some very good points. I'd pay close attention to the fact that she wanted to forget this whole thing immediately, wouldn't give you any help in deciphering what went down, was callous about it and, most importantly, is giving indications that she finds attention of other men appealing (I cite the comments she made in the car on the way back from the wedding).Good luck man. I admire your desire to do what it takes to fix this. Proves to me how very much you love her. I just hope she sees the same thing.

To be clear, the point of counseling is not simply to get over what happened on the camping trip. There are already several additional issues that you've discovered as a result of that situation that should be addressed if you don't want them biting you in a different way down the road.

Do you really expect her to bring it up? YOU need to tell her that the conversation isn't over tell her more about how this is making you feel. Going to counseling without trying to talk first about it seems like more passive behavoirfrom you, like you want the therapist to do the heavy lifting for you. Talk to your wife.

i do not understand your wife's actions whatsoever ... is she always this careless about your feelings? i would be kinda pissed.

ETA - maybe you're not communicating what you think to your wife well enough? either way, i agree with the guy above me - TALK TO YOUR WIFE!

Nothing really new to report here. Though my wife's behavior right now is confusing me a bit. She just doesn't seem interested in this coming back up again at all. She's just kind of going on like none of it matters at this point. That bothers me a bit.

In any case, I started looking around for marriage counseling today. But, I felt kind of silly. Would you all recommend this as a next step?
Whether directly related to your feelings about this particular incident or not--some general "relationships counseling" can be beneficial in any case. I know I appreciated going through some personal counseling years ago; it was with a psychologist--not a psychiatrist--and was designed to deal with life and interpersonal relationships in general as opposed to personal problems of any kind. In order to be most beneficial, though, it would have to be something that you both think worthwhile, and it would have to be positive and proactive rather than incriminatory and reactive if you are looking for that kind of benefit. (Given the circumstances here--that feeling might not be possible?)I would think if you so decide that these items highlighted below might be a starting point:

Ineteresting times are ahead for us. We talked for a couple hours about things last night, and she certainly knows where I stand. We covered a lot of ground.
What was covered, other than her knowing where you stand? Any decisions made? Any changes implemented? Any actions taken?
A few things. She said one of the reasons she really let loose with the drinking that day was that it was the first time in a long that she was able to 'not think about the kids'. She knew they were safe with my parents, and knew we would see them the next day. So, no responsiblity for her. As a stay at home mom, I think she does indeed feel 'trapped' at times with the kids. That has to be a factor here for these actions.

I went over how me and Steve have completely different personalities. I asked her point blank if that's an issue for her. The posters here have pretty much pegged my personality, and have a decent read on Steve. She claims these differences are the reason she's with me. I told her that's great, but there's a big part of me that believes she's flattered and possibilty excited by the idea that she did something with the bad boy, since I don't fit that category. She said any time a mother of two has anyone find her attractive, that it is an ego boost. The idea of something actually happening does not make her excited though.

This was a interesting point that she brought up. She said it became very clear to her as we talked this week that there aren't many boundaries with a certain subset of our friends. Not all of the people camping, but about half of them. She chalks this up to a few things. One is that for a year or two before we met, she was a 'one of the guys' kind of girl. She hung out with these guys a lot, strictly as friends. So, she was a lot more smartass and open with them than most women would be. Second, this led to all of us kind of being that way amongst each other, especially where spouse's were concerned. What's really interesting is that you can see a separation between the group that actually acts this way and group that doesn't. Same camping trip, same envinroment, just different ways of interacting. So, we both decided that will be much more careful about how we interact with certain people in the future.

As for decisions, we didn't get into too much of that. She actually brought up counseling, and is all for going to counseling together. We also figured out that we need to spend more time together than we do. We get awful busy during the week, and she works outside the house every other weekend, so it's tough for us to find time to just be together.

flufhed said:
"check the phone records" quickly becoming part of the FFA lore.
so should we expect a finger pointing to the phone instead of :ptts:
Sometimes I think I even outdo myself...:pttp:
:lmao: Please make this happen. That is really the only thing this thread lacks, is giving birth (no pun intended :lmao: to a new smilie.
I PM'd JB to see how we could get this to happen.
:unsure:

*sigh*
I tend to think you may not need counseling. But I do think you need closure here. If it were me, I'd have a sit down with the wife, alone, no kids or distractions around....and I'd tell my wife point blank how this is tearing me up inside, and she is just blowing it off. I'd probably mention that this event could even be a marriage wrecker and see how seriously she wants to work this thing out. I'd hope that my wife would understand my feelings and try to get pass this obstacle. I'd think that more than likely nothing that serious happened, but even if something happened, I'd want to make sure that this situation never arose again and that we're both in this relationship for the long haul, meaning there will be no inappropriate behavior ever.

If you've made it clear to her how much this affecting you, thats kinda cold of her.Have you made it clear?

Users who are viewing this thread