What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

List of IDP with Return abilities? (1 Viewer)

captbly

Footballguy
Our league also credits Punt return and kick off returns (for TDs) regardless of players. I am thinking this is worth looking at. Does anyone have a list of DBs that also get time as returners?

McGee BUF (but be careful, BUF may take him out of the role cause he is now CB#1).

I hear Revis on the Jets can return kicks, and Miller is in a ton of off-field trouble. Maybe he'll be cut.

Hester of course.

some others, but i can't think of 'em right now

Last edited by a moderator:
Our league also credits Punt return and kick off returns (for TDs) regardless of players. I am thinking this is worth looking at. Does anyone have a list of DBs that also get time as returners?
If you only get credit for return TD's and not yardage, then it's not worth factoring into your decision, because it's rare for anyone to get high numbers of return TD's year after year. 2 TD's or something isn't worth worrying about, and should not factor into who you select.

Here are some guys based on punt/kickoff return yards = 0.05 pts per yard OR 1 pt per 20 yards:

Terrence McGee #1 DB 183 pts

Pacman Jones #4 DB 170 pts ***If dynasty league he is worth a roster spot

Justin Miller #8 DB WHO??? He has a ton of return yards

Here are some guys based on punt/kickoff return yards = 0.05 pts per yard OR 1 pt per 20 yards:Terrence McGee #1 DB 183 ptsPacman Jones #4 DB 170 pts ***If dynasty league he is worth a roster spotJustin Miller #8 DB WHO??? He has a ton of return yards
For yardage and possible (POSSIBLE!!!) return TD's here are some options...Terence NewmanCharles WoodsonChris GambleThese guys returned a number of punts last season.

does anybody know for sure what the deal is in buf is mcgee returning kickoffs or what?
It too early to know. Its just like Miller/Revis, the situation needs time to play out.Another guy that was not mentioned on here is Chris Carr OAK DB. Was he cut? He was not great, but he was decent.Depending on the return yard scoring this can make a mediocre WR good (Wes Welker), and some guys startable on bye weeks (returner WR for CLE?) And it is icing on the cake for a RB (like D Williams or Mike Turner).

I happen to know a thing or two about DB's who play special teams.

Terrence McGee has about a 75% chance of being Buffalo's KR on opening day.

Justin Miller will undoubtly be NYJ primary KR.

If I was a gambling man (which I am) I would put money on Darrelle Revis being the PR from day 1.

Trust me on this, you will not see C. Woodson return punts this year.

If Richard Marshall starts this year, he could be a good play since he showed promise as a KR midway during the season.

Just like Richard Marshall, if Chris Gamble starts for the Panthers, he will be back there returning punts for Carolina.

When it is all said and done, I believe Marshall will have a higher average than Gamble in 07.

D. Hester will not have value this year, especially if he is lining up on offense. His best case scenerio on defense is as nickel back, which still is a gamble if you put him in your starting lineup.

Hope this helps!

RAPTURE

so rapture, none of these DBs will return both punts and kicks???
Normally, KR > PR if yardage scores. That "free" 20 yards or so you get helps a lot, note the difference in KR average vs PR average.While there are often 2 KR's back, and only one PR, one KR is normally primary. doing both helps, but just one can give you an edge.

so rapture, none of these DBs will return both punts and kicks???No! The only way it happens is if there is an injury, which is quite difficult to predict.RAPTURE

so rapture, none of these DBs will return both punts and kicks???
Normally, KR > PR if yardage scores. That "free" 20 yards or so you get helps a lot, note the difference in KR average vs PR average.While there are often 2 KR's back, and only one PR, one KR is normally primary. doing both helps, but just one can give you an edge.
I would note that PR usually score more TDs.

Ellis Hobbs (CB-NE) is a possibility. He took one to the house last year on 10 returns. With Samuel holding out, he stands to start @ CB, with returns a remote possibility.

The Pats did sign Wes Welker, and he stands to be the main return guy, but Hobbs has proven to be a capable returner (36yd avg on 10 k.o. returns in '06, 25yd avg on 15 returns in '05).

KO and punt returners are one of those positions that get settled in training camp too.

It's just one of those things you have to scour the web for.

I agree about stressing KO over punt returns. If you can find a starting CB/KO returner, that's a good pick.

Keep your eye on a couple of rookies: Giants CB Aaron Ross and Browns CB Eric Wright. Both are in the frame to start at CB and could see return duty as well.

McGee BUF (but be careful, BUF may take him out of the role cause he is now CB#1).I hear Revis on the Jets can return kicks, and Miller is in a ton of off-field trouble. Maybe he'll be cut.Hester of course.some others, but i can't think of 'em right now
Miller has off-field trouble? this is the first I have heard of this? What is he in trouble for?

Ellis Hobbs (CB-NE) is a possibility. He took one to the house last year on 10 returns. With Samuel holding out, he stands to start @ CB, with returns a remote possibility.

The Pats did sign Wes Welker, and he stands to be the main return guy, but Hobbs has proven to be a capable returner (36yd avg on 10 k.o. returns in '06, 25yd avg on 15 returns in '05).
I don't think you'll see Hobbs doing any returns as long as Samuels is holding out. They can't risk having both top CBs out.

McGee BUF (but be careful, BUF may take him out of the role cause he is now CB#1).I hear Revis on the Jets can return kicks, and Miller is in a ton of off-field trouble. Maybe he'll be cut.Hester of course.some others, but i can't think of 'em right now
Miller has off-field trouble? this is the first I have heard of this? What is he in trouble for?
Jets | J. Miller arrestedSun, 20 May 2007 17:20:15 -0700ESPN's Jeremy Schaap reports New York Jets CB Justin Miller was arrested Sunday, May 20, for allegedly punching a woman in a New York nightclub. He was apprehended after a police chase and charged with third-degree misdemeanor assault. Police said Miller was swinging at a man, but hit the woman after the man ducked. The woman has a laceration on her face and swelling and pain in her knee.

Any suggestions for this year? Looking for starter IDPs with return abilities.

The only one I can think of for now is RW McQuarters (is he starting?)...I'm sure there's more however.

Thanks.

Any suggestions for this year? Looking for starter IDPs with return abilities.The only one I can think of for now is RW McQuarters (is he starting?)...I'm sure there's more however.Thanks.
I'm thinking the key is to first focus on production at the players starting roster position. I had Chris Carr, thinking it would be nice to pick up those points for return yards, but is he going to get enough tackles in addition to his returning abilities to warrant playing him and not a solid DB who doesnt return kicks?I ended up dropping him and picking up McGee, thinking id get less yards than Carr but significantly more tackles.The question is, with one DB slot, do I play McGee or put in someone like Chris Hope or Kerry Rhodes?

Cortland Finnegan in Tennessee, looks like he'll not only be the #1 option in the KR/PR situations, but also looks likely to start at CB. He could very well put up similar #s to PacMan.

His role in the return game:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../708030430/1027

Likely to start at CB:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...398/1328/SPORTS
This could be huge.Any confirmation of his winning the KR job? That article on the KR competition is a month old.

IAMCANADIAN said:
Well, the closest I see, is the Titan's own Depth Charts, which have him at starting CB, and starting KR/PR:

http://www.titansonline.com/press_box/depth_chart/index.php
Herman has him listed as the KR and PR in his Returnguys article, but also mentions other guys as well. Should be interesting to see how often Finnegan is back there on Sunday. If he's the man for both, and starting at CB, he could be better than Pac Man this year.

IAMCANADIAN said:
Well, the closest I see, is the Titan's own Depth Charts, which have him at starting CB, and starting KR/PR:

http://www.titansonline.com/press_box/depth_chart/index.php
Herman has him listed as the KR and PR in his Returnguys article, but also mentions other guys as well. Should be interesting to see how often Finnegan is back there on Sunday. If he's the man for both, and starting at CB, he could be better than Pac Man this year.
That's what I'm sayin'. I think it's a watch and see unless you have a deep bench and unlimited transactions. Having said that, I may need to pick this guy up after Sunday.

The difference with him and Pacman also will be that QBs will challenge him so he will have an opportunity to put up decent tackle numbers also. He is not shy about getting involved in the run game too. I do think Chris Davis-WR will get his fair share of returns also. Might be a mini KR/PR committee early on. Finnengan does have very good speed and quickness(4.3)

Another report out of Tennessee, saying that the starting CB may only be decided just before kickoff on Sunday:

http://www.titansonline.com/news/titans_ne....php?PRKey=5021

I have lousy waiver priority in my two top leagues that I'm playing in. Both, leagues reward return ydg at: Punt 10yds/1point, Kickoff 25yds/1point... so I had to make my move on him yesterday. I had been told to watch out for this kid as a sleeper in our league; but as long as he was looking like a nickel corner, I wasn't nearly as interested. I only had to give up backup IDPs in both leagues to have him, and his ceiling is pretty high.

I agree with bigreese82, on that a "rookie corner rule", type situation may apply for him (although it is his 2nd year).

Another report out of Tennessee, saying that the starting CB may only be decided just before kickoff on Sunday:

http://www.titansonline.com/news/titans_ne....php?PRKey=5021

I have lousy waiver priority in my two top leagues that I'm playing in. Both, leagues reward return ydg at: Punt 10yds/1point, Kickoff 25yds/1point... so I had to make my move on him yesterday. I had been told to watch out for this kid as a sleeper in our league; but as long as he was looking like a nickel corner, I wasn't nearly as interested. I only had to give up backup IDPs in both leagues to have him, and his ceiling is pretty high.

I agree with bigreese82, on that a "rookie corner rule", type situation may apply for him (although it is his 2nd year).
According to that article, he was the nickel back last year (it says he was their fifth DB). Even if he just fills the nickel role, that would be enough for me to pick him up if he ends up being the #1 returner for that team. Can't wait to see how it shakes out Sunday.

2 questions:

Was Finnegan lined up to return kicks at all?

What kind of production can we reasonably expect from Ellis Hobbs going forward, both in terms of defense and kick returns?

I'll be waiting for Herman's article to find out more info... but for now, I'll be holding onto him. This week he still managed to outperforme my other two DBs combined (Dawkins/L.Landry).

Ellis Hobbs did pretty well.

BJ Sams went out with a serious knee injury. Ed Reed stepped in and made it look easy. I'd pick him up if he's available.

Users who are viewing this thread