What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vick Indicted ! ? (2 Viewers)

Daunte Culpepper, meet Caoch Petrino. He'll be your head caoch this year and the man that ressurects your career.
I'm telling you, this is Pepps chance to return to stardom. He'd be a jewel in Petrino's pass happy, 4 WR set system....with a chip on his shoulder to boot. Sleeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone still sticking up for Vick is deranged. Anyone still thinking he plays in 2007 is deranged. Vick has always wanted to be thought of as a thug... until now. At this point, I don't give a crap if that indictment is 99% wrong. As long as it is 1% correct, he is 100% guilty. What are the chances that at least 1% of that indictment is correct? 100%!

Anyone still sticking up for Vick is deranged. Anyone still thinking he plays in 2007 is deranged. Vick has always wanted to be thought of as a thug... until now. At this point, I don't give a crap if that indictment is 99% wrong. As long as it is 1% correct, he is 100% guilty. What are the chances that at least 1% of that indictment is correct? 100%!
I don't believe anyone is defending his actions. Those that are keeping a level head and not screaming he's going to spend x number of years in prison and that his football career is over are not "deranged".

I'd be very surprised if any suspension gets handed down until after the case is settled in court. If Vick gets convicted (a very big "if" at this point), an NFL suspension is the least of his worries since he could be facing several years in prison. However I don't foresee a verdict one way or the other until well after the season is over.
How is it a very big if? People have been claiming at every step that they had nothing on Vick and nothing would happen and here he is indicted. I certainly don't know if he'll get convicted but with all the time they took to get the indictments all set and the multiple searches leads me to believe that a conviction is much more probable than an acquital. So sure, it's still an 'if', but I can't see how it's a "big" if.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2940065

I had a feeling that this thing wasn't over. Now we can start talking suspension. I think he could easily get 8 games just for being indicted, especially given the thorough and careful nature of the investigation.
Seriously doubt it. Indicted is not convicted. I know, Pacman wasn't convicted either, but his involvement was pretty clear cut and came with a laundry list of other issues. Vick has never had any prior problems, (other than giving the fans the finger). The NFL will take the wait-and-see approach on this I think. But if he's convicted, they'll bring the hammer down.
This is what ESPN is saying, though they add that a conviction will be dealt with -- harshly -- by the NFL.

Does anyone out there think that DJ Shockley could get a shot to start in training camp? Anyone else feeling sorry for Bobby Petrino right now?
I feel better for Patrino, VICK HAS BEEN THE MOST OVERATED PIECE OF CRAP IN FOOTBALL PERIOD. Now the Falcons get to move on and get a QB, Harrington will be much, much better then Vick. They Can trade or draft an upgrade later. Who knows maybe Daunte goes to the Falcons, that would funny Daunte and Harrington reunited once again.
Much better QB. bAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA.Dante. bahahahaha.Vick has won more playoffs games then Brees/LT combined. Harrington has never sniffed the playoffs.It's awesome that you're such a shrewd judge of talent, yet the Falcons are giving Vick 130 million. You could have saved them a lot of money huh? Crazy how dumb NFL people are. And how bright and savvy guys like "mdog" are.Vick will be fine. He has lots of lawyers, and the charges seem to be grasping at straws. He won't miss a game.
Regardless of playoff wins, I'd think every team in the league would rather have LT on their team instead of Vick.

I think he is done.

Not that that means much.

But that is how I will draft.

Which might mean a little if more drafters feel that way.

I had a feeling that this thing wasn't over. Now we can start talking suspension. I think he could easily get 8 games just for being indicted, especially given the thorough and careful nature of the investigation.
Seriously doubt it. Indicted is not convicted. I know, Pacman wasn't convicted either, but his involvement was pretty clear cut and came with a laundry list of other issues. Vick has never had any prior problems, (other than giving the fans the finger). The NFL will take the wait-and-see approach on this I think. But if he's convicted, they'll bring the hammer down.
This is what ESPN is saying, though they add that a conviction will be dealt with -- harshly -- by the NFL.
ESPN also said it was "unlikely" that Vick would be indicted. I think ESPN's opinion and analyses on this matter can safely be put at the bottom of the credible sources list.

Blegh. However this turns out, it's awful. That the torture and killings of these dogs happened is not in dispute, and whether it was Vick's ignorance or active participation that allowed it to happen, it looks very bad for him and for the NFL. I heard Pasquarelli on ESPN Radio blowing off the idea that the Falcons would regret trading Schaub because Harrington's started 60 games. But as the Dolphin fan pointed out earlier, if you've had the misfortune of rooting for him in any of those 60 games, that isn't necessarily a good thing. My real question is, what would _you_ do if you were the Falcons? If you could cut him without penalty (this is theoretical), would you? And what would you do if you were Goodell?
I believe Vick will plea bargain down the charges,Goodell will lay the hammer down in a one year suspensionplus lots of community service at an animal shelter.Then, the final shoe will drop as Arthur Frank will cut Vick.
Plea bargain down to what? Vick is the big fish, here. He bought the property. I wouldn't be surprised if he bankrolled the operations.
There are BIGGER fish to be had. Of course. turning on them (can you say Hoffa).

I don't believe anyone is defending his actions. Those that are keeping a level head and not screaming he's going to spend x number of years in prison and that his football career is over are not "deranged".
Keeping a level head has not been a very popular course of action in the Vick threads, Bob.Would this be a bad time for me to again suggest that the NFL ought to butt out? Frankly, it's interesting when the bad boys are out on the field playing football.

Keeping a level head has not been a very popular course of action in the Vick threads, Bob.Would this be a bad time for me to again suggest that the NFL ought to butt out? Frankly, it's interesting when the bad boys are out on the field playing football.
I suggest tar and feathers.

I guess that settles Yudkin's question of VY vs. Vick.
Nope. At least not IMO. Just because you are indicted does not automatically mean you are convicted.IIRC, the league waits for a player to be tried and convicted or plea bargains before they take disciplinary action. How quickly does the system of jurice prudence work in this country? Didn't Barry Bonds get indicted? Was he suspended?

All that would have to happen within 6 months for a suspension to occur for this season (and that would be around the last week or two of the season). Even so, Vick could always appeal through the NFLPA and drag things out.

At this point I still don't see Vick in danger of missing time from suspension (unless the Falcons want to try to do something on their own).
I think it's funny that people are speculating on whether or not Vick will be suspended. These are felony charges folks. If convicted, he stands a pretty good chance of going to prison. An NFL suspension will be a moot point (and the least of his worries). Either way, I think (my opinion) that the Falcons release him after this season. And, yes, I think he's guilty.

What a piece of S***t. I read the indictment and I completely disgusted and disturbed. I hope he is jailed. I am considering taking him out of my leagues draft, I do want his name disgracing my league. And for the "he is considered innocent before before trial crowd"; read that indictment and tell him he is not guilty of even 1 count in there.

Has anybody seen ILUVVICK99........I mean ILUVBEER99. This cat has got to be curled up in the fetal position somewhere with all the man love he has for Ronnie. Man it reminds me of one of those cartoons where the guy goes out on the limb and saws it off behind him.

So even if there's no suspension for 2007, how effective can Vick be? Think about all the media distractions at training camp and throughout the season. Wouldn't the circus-like atmosphere wear thin on the players and coaches?

Bottom line, how confident would you be in drafting Ookie and plugging him into your opening day lineup? I could certainly see a point where the Falcons say enough's enough and send him home.

Hmmm, doesn't look all that good for Mike.

I thought i remember reading that when the feds indict that the conviction rate is high. Anyone know anymore about that?

I was one of the most vocal people stating that we shouldn't jump the gun until we've seen some decent evidence, and i still think that approach was right, but after reading that indictment i've jumped ship to the other side.

He might get off due to having great lawyers, but it's pretty clear he had involvement.

And for the "he is considered innocent before before trial crowd"; read that indictment and tell him he is not guilty of even 1 count in there.
It does not matter what any of us reading the indictment think about whether he did it. It is about process and the system. Do not assume that those in this crowd you speak of are defending Vick or necessarily think he is innocent.

:popcorn: Cue the lynch mob...

Has anybody seen ILUVVICK99........I mean ILUVBEER99. This cat has got to be curled up in the fetal position somewhere with all the man love he has for Ronnie. Man it reminds me of one of those cartoons where the guy goes out on the limb and saws it off behind him.
three posts down from yours; sounds pretty rational to me.

Does ESPN have ANY credibility at all? Didn't they report a week or two ago that Vick was likely NOT being charged with anything?

Check out page 17, #83. If this is true, I hope he's banned for life. What a stupid, sick MF.
Well said. This is sickening, and "inhumane" just doesn't quite say enough.
Let me be the first to say that I've only read one post in this entire thread and that's the one I'm replying to. If anyone is inhumane to animals they deserve banishment not only from the NFL, but from everyone, PERIOD !!! What kind of idiot gets his kicks from that? The last time I checked, most serial killers got their kicks from being cruel to animals. I'm not saying that Vick did these things himself, but knowing it is happening and he could stop it is the same thing.

May Mr. Vick serve 6 to 10, lose every penny he has, and and any money he will earn in the future. I hope he has to live the rest of his life knowing he squandered fame and fortune.

You can take the thug out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the thug.

The best would be see how good Vick jukes with 100 Pitbulls let loose on his ###. Now that would be justice.

Now to the really important stuff: where does Vick's ADP go to now? For late drafts, where will it be a week before the start of the regular season?

As opposed to this rant in the other Vick thread:(KFFL) Updating an ongoing story, The Associated Press reports Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick was not named in court documents filed by federal authorities detailing an illegal dog fighting ring at Vick's property in Virginia. The documents state that the property had held dog fights sponsored by "Bad Newz Kennels" and brought participants from several states. People involved in the ring also transported, delivered and received dogs for fighting, according to the documents.UPDATE, MR VICK IS INNOCENT ON ALL CHARGES, VICK HATERS LOSE ONCE AGAIN. Better luck next time, maybe he'll get caught jaywalking next week and a 14 page thread where people can vent their hate for him can start once again.To the above poster who said that no one is on their radar at this point....court documents were filed, i may be crazy but i assume that there were names on those documents, and none of those names were MVP Vick.LOCK THIS THREAD MODS, NOTHING TO SEE HERE ANYMORE. All this has been is a witch hunt with absolutely no basis in reality.God bless you Mike Vick, please don't think everyone is out to get you.Edit to add this was a ILUVBEER99 quote

The most interesting thing about the indictment is the degree of Vick's involvement in the specific fighting. They even evidently have him killing a dog IIRC from reading it ...
if this is proven true..that Vick electricuted a losing Dog(which i am also hearing being reported on ESPN as I type this) then Vick is all done...game set match he mat never play in the NFL again. I am not even sure he will get a job in the CFL which is where he always belong playing.
I highly doubt the CFL or AFL would touch him. After Lawrence Phillips (and, to a lesser extent, Ricky Williams) the CFL is not going to be eager to go after serious NFL head cases. The AFL bills itself a a family-friendly league and is profitable without Vick. No way they ruin the reputation they've built over 20+ years. I just read the indictment, and it's not even like Vick was simply the "money man." If true, he was an active, travelling participant, evaluating the dogs and being consulted on killing the losers. If any of that pans out, any sports team would have a circus in their city if they signed him to anything. Not just PETA, but regular folks would be outraged, and teams would see a net loss in season ticket sales imo. You can do drugs, you can steal and you can beat people up and still get a "second chance" with many fans. But if you torture an animal, you're done.

Hmmm, doesn't look all that good for Mike.I thought i remember reading that when the feds indict that the conviction rate is high. Anyone know anymore about that?I was one of the most vocal people stating that we shouldn't jump the gun until we've seen some decent evidence, and i still think that approach was right, but after reading that indictment i've jumped ship to the other side.He might get off due to having great lawyers, but it's pretty clear he had involvement.
Exsqueeze me? You've been a proponent of "not jumping the gun?!" Allow me to present your response to the feds investigation...
UPDATE, MR VICK IS INNOCENT ON ALL CHARGES, VICK HATERS LOSE ONCE AGAIN. Better luck next time, maybe he'll get caught jaywalking next week and a 14 page thread where people can vent their hate for him can start once again.To the above poster who said that no one is on their radar at this point....court documents were filed, i may be crazy but i assume that there were names on those documents, and none of those names were MVP Vick.LOCK THIS THREAD MODS, NOTHING TO SEE HERE ANYMORE. All this has been is a witch hunt with absolutely no basis in reality.God bless you Mike Vick, please don't think everyone is out to get you.
You've been an undying proponent of Vick's innocence, no matter what news story broke. Calling it a witch hunt and direct assualt on Vick's character. And you challenged all the "haters" to man up and apologize even though no indictments had been handed out. Maybe you didn't jump the gun to convict him, but you sure jumped the gun condemning all those that thought , based on increasing stories of his involvement, that Vick was dirty. Jumping the gun works both ways and you called out a lot of people who have turned out to be right in their belief that the feds would come down on Vick.. Revisionist history my friend doesn't cut it in the Shark Pool. Man up, admit you went way overboard on the ProVick Bandwagon despite increasing odds against him.

The most interesting thing about the indictment is the degree of Vick's involvement in the specific fighting. They even evidently have him killing a dog IIRC from reading it ...
if this is proven true..that Vick electricuted a losing Dog(which i am also hearing being reported on ESPN as I type this) then Vick is all done...game set match he mat never play in the NFL again. I am not even sure he will get a job in the CFL which is where he always belong playing.
I highly doubt the CFL or AFL would touch him. After Lawrence Phillips (and, to a lesser extent, Ricky Williams) the CFL is not going to be eager to go after serious NFL head cases. The AFL bills itself a a family-friendly league and is profitable without Vick. No way they ruin the reputation they've built over 20+ years. I just read the indictment, and it's not even like Vick was simply the "money man." If true, he was an active, travelling participant, evaluating the dogs and being consulted on killing the losers. If any of that pans out, any sports team would have a circus in their city if they signed him to anything. Not just PETA, but regular folks would be outraged, and teams would see a net loss in season ticket sales imo. You can do drugs, you can steal and you can beat people up and still get a "second chance" with many fans. But if you torture an animal, you're done.
I agree 100% and at this point when this is all proven out I will not particiapate in **ANYTHING** Vick is involved with..if the NFL allows him to play again i will not spend one single penny on anything that has anything to do with its league EVER again and hope I am not they only one who feels this way.

Here's what the league had to say (so far) on this . . .

"We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

"The activities alleged are cruel, degrading and illegal. Michael Vick's guilt has not yet been proven, and we believe that all concerned should allow the legal process to determine the facts."
LINKI'm not sure if there's anything to take from that, but at least from this statement it at least sounds like they may wait to see what happens.

As opposed to this rant in the other Vick thread:(KFFL) Updating an ongoing story, The Associated Press reports Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick was not named in court documents filed by federal authorities detailing an illegal dog fighting ring at Vick's property in Virginia. The documents state that the property had held dog fights sponsored by "Bad Newz Kennels" and brought participants from several states. People involved in the ring also transported, delivered and received dogs for fighting, according to the documents.UPDATE, MR VICK IS INNOCENT ON ALL CHARGES, VICK HATERS LOSE ONCE AGAIN. Better luck next time, maybe he'll get caught jaywalking next week and a 14 page thread where people can vent their hate for him can start once again.To the above poster who said that no one is on their radar at this point....court documents were filed, i may be crazy but i assume that there were names on those documents, and none of those names were MVP Vick.LOCK THIS THREAD MODS, NOTHING TO SEE HERE ANYMORE. All this has been is a witch hunt with absolutely no basis in reality.God bless you Mike Vick, please don't think everyone is out to get you.Edit to add this was a ILUVBEER99 quote
LOL. It looks like Mr. Herpes is in deep doo doo.

Here's what the league had to say (so far) on this . . .

"We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

"The activities alleged are cruel, degrading and illegal. Michael Vick's guilt has not yet been proven, and we believe that all concerned should allow the legal process to determine the facts."
LINKI'm not sure if there's anything to take from that, but at least from this statement it at least sounds like they may wait to see what happens.
the storm is still way out in the sea..just wait until it hits main land and the NFL's pocketbooks.

Am sure there is some fine print somewhere but NFL Player Conduct Policy for Reference:

http://www.nflpa.org/RulesAndRegs/ConductPolicy.aspx

Basically, at this point Vick is subject to counseling/evaluation by the league and players can only be suspended for the following:

- Failure to cooperate with said evaluation

- Convicted or admitting to criminal activity

- Failure to report an arrest or criminal charge (one of the things that got Pacman suspended)

- Violent activity in the workplace

None of these apply to Vick (yet). Therefore the league will not suspend him until one of them happens.

Users who are viewing this thread