What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (4 Viewers)

1. Men are pigs

2. Betty is such a child, totally over her head and looks like she's just playing house.

3. I'm disliking Roger so far, mainly because he gets to have that one pearl of wisdom while being an #####.

4. Hopefully they'll bring in a female writer to take over writing Peggy. On one hand, she's "bold" enough to sleep with Pete even though she found him repugnant, but then she's too naïve to realize that these pigs she's been watching for 2 weeks now all just view her as a sex object and acts surprised when Kinsey started kissing her? For someone who doesn't have their stuff together, she sure has her stuff together.  Can't have it both ways.

5. Two episodes in and I can see I'm going to be re-watching this show over and over.
You have to give it some time, there's a lot of development of their characters but I actually think Betty ends up looking much better as the show goes on. Peggy dominates as others have mentioned. Plus, one thing I like about the show is it's realistic. In most movies/TV, characters act with clear motivations and morals and they grow over the course of the story. Real life isn't always like that. People pick and choose when to stick to their values and when to ignore them. People can easily justify any behavior of theirs or a loved one and people often never change. Mad Men gets that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Youtube definitely missed all of these subplots.  So, basically she's a female, less attractive and single Don Draper?
they definitely have parallels, partly in the sense that they are both feel uneasy in the world in which they live and don't really know how to be who they are.  Though Peggy is more trying to figure out who she is as she goes, where as don just kind of fell into everything between his good looks and getting Sterling drunk and seemingly has everything, but is kind of trying to unwind that.  But Don is sleeping with people because he is trying to fill a hole.  In his heart, you dirty pervert.  Peggy is trying to figure out if she can be a "modern" woman and have different kinds of relationships (casual to serious) while also having a job and also does she want to be that or maybe do something a bit more traditional. 

You have to give it some time, there's a lot of development of their characters but I actually think Betty ends up looking much better as the show goes on. Peggy dominates as others have mentioned. Plus, one thing I like about the show is it's realistic. In mot movies/TV, characters act with clear motivations and morals and they grow over the course of the story. Real life isn't always like that. People pick and choose when to stick to their values and when to ignore them. People can easily justify any behavior of theirs or a loved one and people often never change. Mad Men gets that. 
I don't doubt any of what you're saying and I'm looking forward to watching. I'm just going with visceral reactions at this point.  I think writing tends to get better as a show gets past those first few episodes; I saw this when I binge watched Parks and Rec (yet another show I didn't bother with when it first aired and now regret missing the first time around), and you can see similar awkwardness in the few few episodes of most shows, so I'm honestly just having a little fun with it now.  TBH, I was pretty disappointed when Kinsey started hitting on her, but it's just a reminder of the mindset at large of this era, and how little concern for acting outside of accepted norms they had.  Still, I'm not getting Peggy's willingness to sleep with Pete.  I get that some characters will have this other side of their personality, but her disdain for him seemed genuine so that she wouldn't even entertain the thought even if she is some sort of nymphomaniac, or career climber, which would make her rejecting Kinsey even more confusing.

As for Betty, I think January Jones is doing a great job so far, in that there are times when you can see Betty's feeling dread that she doesn't want to identify, which makes her seem even younger than she is.

they definitely have parallels, partly in the sense that they are both feel uneasy in the world in which they live and don't really know how to be who they are.  Though Peggy is more trying to figure out who she is as she goes, where as don just kind of fell into everything between his good looks and getting Sterling drunk and seemingly has everything, but is kind of trying to unwind that.  But Don is sleeping with people because he is trying to fill a hole.  In his heart, you dirty pervert.  Peggy is trying to figure out if she can be a "modern" woman and have different kinds of relationships (casual to serious) while also having a job and also does she want to be that or maybe do something a bit more traditional. 
Ah.  Kindred spirits. Makes sense and very clear description.  Sometimes I need things laid out like this.

Still, for someone who's going through so much turmoil, she hasn't shown any signs of struggling, externally or internally, outside of a little pause here or there.  I mean, Joan has roasted her on her looks/appearance on multiple occasions in just two episodes and we didn't even get a facial tic out of her, let alone a moment of delayed reaction by herself.  She just seems to be made of stone, which is boring. I haven't seen how she reacts when she learns she's pregnant, so maybe I'll see what I'm looking for then. Just a little emoting would suffice...

I experienced the duality of seldom bonding with Peggy (although the Colin Hanks subplot and the hippie movement were highlights besides nearly all her interactions with Don) but marveling at Elisabeth Moss' talent as an actress.  

Also, I have to throw a flag on all of us for not discussing the formidable and sexy Joan Hollaway. That was a hell of a woman. 

Also, I have to throw a flag on all of us for not discussing the formidable and sexy Joan Hollaway. That was a hell of a woman. 
The blood rushes away from my brain when she's on, so it's tough to comment, or remember what I was going to say, except that it's her world and we just live in it.

Never found her as attractive as either of Don's wives or several of his flings but she's the definition of striking.  I love her character.  She never once annoyed me or had me anything less than rooting for her all the way.  

Never found her as attractive as either of Don's wives or several of his flings but she's the definition of striking.  I love her character.  She never once annoyed me or had me anything less than rooting for her all the way.  
I agree that objectively, Betty Draper/January Jones is the most attractive person on the show. I follow her on IG and let me tell you, she's doing great. She seems to be single and just hangs out in her pool all day, very bored. 

Joan was fantastic. It was sad how she dated old men and than married Greg. I like how her story ended. I found Tweety to be the most attractive.

I wonder if that’s a case where they didn’t intend him to be a regular character but he was just so good they quickly decided they had to make him a regular. 
Noticed the same thing with Chris Pratt during season 1 of Parks and Rec. If that's true, that's good writing to be flexible to incorporate him more into the story.

Finally, an episode with parts that really resonated with me, namely the birthday party.  Funny how regardless of era, when parents get together, the conversation goes right to the kids. One big difference, though, is that if I caught another dad slapping one of my kids, I don't think I would have let it go.  I also really liked the scene where Don is watching the kids and they're all saying things they heard from their parents: "I wanted to sleep on the couch anyway", etc.

As for Don, in the scene where Rachel tells him that her mother died giving birth to her, he had a very vulnerable look on his face.  I already know that's part of his backstory as well, but I think it was a good piece of acting on Jon Hamm's part to make Don's reaction so subdued yet so sharp at the same time.

I think I got from Peggy what I was talking about upthread, though I'm having a hard time reading what's going on in her mind.  At least in that way, it's a pretty realistic portrayal. 

Ok, sun's down, going to watch Episode 4, "New Amsterdam" and wash it down with my first ever glass of Johnny Walker Black.

I also like the scene earlier in that episode where Don is talking to a pantsless Harry.

Harry:I was always fascinated by the cave paintings of Lascaux. They're, like, 17,000 years old. The bison get all the attention, but there are also all of these handprints, tiny by today's standards, with paint blown all around them.

Don:Signature of the artist.

Harry: But I thought it was like someone reaching through the stone and right to us.

ETA: Of course later on Harry is absolutely baffled by Cooper’s Rothko.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also like the scene earlier in that episode where Don is talking to a pantsless Harry.

Harry:I was always fascinated by the cave paintings of Lascaux. They're, like, 17,000 years old. The bison get all the attention, but there are also all of these handprints, tiny by today's standards, with paint blown all around them.

Don:Signature of the artist.

Harry: But I thought it was like someone reaching through the stone and right to us.

ETA: Of course later on Harry is absolutely baffled by Cooper’s Rothko.
So good.

***Editor's note: FWIW, I accidentally posted this in the scotch thread and had to move it here.  Guess Johnny Walker Black is stronger than I give it credit for.***

The episode ended before the scotch did. I'll have to do something about that.

Anyway, this episode and the last on definitely show signs of the series picking up steam. Betty babysitting was a little bizarre.  Not sure why she didn't tell Helen about Glen walking in on her in the bathroom, and even creepier, why would she give him a lock of her hair?

As for January Jones, I think I see why she didn't really work as Emma Frost in X-Men: First Class.  There's a natural innocence to her that didn't work with a character like Emma Frost.

I also got a kick out of the difference in 'true affluence' demonstrated between Pete's parents.  Pete's dad may be the breadwinner and boasts about giving Pete his name, but his mom has the real influence vis a vis their family's long history alongside American royalty like the Roosevelts.  That's prestige no money can buy.

With so much scotch still left I may watch yet another episode for a trifecta.  What to do, what to do...

***Editor's note: FWIW, I accidentally posted this in the scotch thread and had to move it here.  Guess Johnny Walker Black is stronger than I give it credit for.***

Anyway, this episode and the last on definitely show signs of the series picking up steam. Betty babysitting was a little bizarre.  Not sure why she didn't tell Helen about Glen walking in on her in the bathroom, and even creepier, why would she give him a lock of her hair?

As for January Jones, I think I see why she didn't really work as Emma Frost in X-Men: First Class.  There's a natural innocence to her that didn't work with a character like Emma Frost.

I also got a kick out of the difference in 'true affluence' demonstrated between Pete's parents.  Pete's dad may be the breadwinner and boasts about giving Pete his name, but his mom has the real influence vis a vis their family's long history alongside American royalty like the Roosevelts.  That's prestige no money can buy.

With so much scotch still left I may watch yet another episode for a trifecta.  What to do, what to do...
Glen is hilarious

I shouldn't have started this new episode, it's tough seeing Don blow off his little half-brother. 

Sally and Peggy waiting on Don--delicious awkwardness.

Regarding the one night stand between Peggy and Pete, I remember when I saw it that I thought a prior relationship between them was implied or hinted at. I'll have to rewatch the episode at some point to figure out why I thought that. Did anyone else get that impression? It always bothered me because I don't think a prior relationship was ever discussed/explained.

i took a lot of crap here backinaday for lauding January Jones's acting ability. i had seen her do a great turn as trailer trash in in a flick called Three Burials and then to see her inhabit the convoluted ego of the Bryn Mawr types i had specialized in wrangling when i had repertoire, well, that and the Grace Kelly looks had me captivated. pretty much everybody here laughed when i gushed over her chops and subsequent roles proved them right, then right, then right again.

i took a lot of crap here backinaday for lauding January Jones's acting ability. i had seen her do a great turn as trailer trash in in a flick called Three Burials and then to see her inhabit the convoluted ego of the Bryn Mawr types i had specialized in wrangling when i had repertoire, well, that and the Grace Kelly looks had me captivated. pretty much everybody here laughed when i gushed over her chops and subsequent roles proved them right, then right, then right again.
That said, I still think she was miscast as Emma Frost. Too 'demure' for such a powerful character.  It is possible for a great actor to underwhelm in a role.

Users who are viewing this thread