Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

1 hour ago, roarlions said:

Regarding the one night stand between Peggy and Pete, I remember when I saw it that I thought a prior relationship between them was implied or hinted at. I'll have to rewatch the episode at some point to figure out why I thought that. Did anyone else get that impression? It always bothered me because I don't think a prior relationship was ever discussed/explained.

i don't think that i ever got that impression.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

i took a lot of crap here backinaday for lauding January Jones's acting ability. i had seen her do a great turn as trailer trash in in a flick called Three Burials and then to see her inhabit the convoluted ego of the Bryn Mawr types i had specialized in wrangling when i had repertoire, well, that and the Grace Kelly looks had me captivated. pretty much everybody here laughed when i gushed over her chops and subsequent roles proved them right, then right, then right again.

I think she played Betty so much and Betty hit so close to who she really is that she just got stuck in that mode. Her IG account is basically if Betty Draper was born in 1980. 

It' tough not just binge-watching episode after episode like I did with Band of Brothers, The Boys and Parks and Rec.  At least providing a little write-up is slowing me down a little, which helps savor them, just like the scotch I'm starting to dabble in. Going to at least watch episode 6, "Babylon" later on tonight, maybe with some Sir Edwards...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

It' tough not just binge-watching episode after episode like I did with Band of Brothers, The Boys and Parks and Rec.  At least providing a little write-up is slowing me down a little, which helps savor them, just like the scotch I'm starting to dabble in. Going to at least watch episode 6, "Babylon" later on tonight, maybe with some Sir Edwards...

Great episode.  

Roy: How do you sleep at night?

Don: On a bed made of money.

Keep an eye out for David Carbonara, the show’s musical composer, as the guy playing the zither(?) at The Gaslight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Great episode.  

Roy: How do you sleep at night?

Don: On a bed made of money.

Keep an eye out for David Carbonara, the show’s musical composer, as the guy playing the zither(?) at The Gaslight. 

A zither? Really?  The dad of one of my old neighborhood friends played the zither. My friend was somewhat embarrassed about it, although TBH his dad embarrassed him a lot of different ways.

I've started it but I'm also obviously watching at a leisurely pace.  Just past Roger and Joan in the hotel room. Reason #84735987 I don't like Roger. Not liking Don right now, either, after the way Betty was talking about how much she wanted him.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:29 PM, Dr. Octopus said:

It ranks only behind the Sopranos for me. After my initial binge of both shows I would have put in behind Breaking Bad as well but watched them both again from start to finish alternating shows and Mad Men was much more impressive to me and held up better on rewatch.

Have you rewatched Soporanos? Because that aged really, really poorly for me. Definitely way behind BB and Mad Men on the TV list.

• Like 1

It's a shame I haven't poured a drink yet. Joan just said "The medium is the message" and then waked away from the camera.  Definitely have to drink to that.

• Like 1

I think I'm finally starting to get Peggy. It's like she understands everything going on around her and is confused that everyone around her doesn't.

Still not sure if 'basket of kisses' was intentional on her part or not, but if it was, then she's playing 3-D chess while everyone around her is playing checkers.

On to episode 7...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

@OrtonToOlsen, that's an autoharp, not a zither.

Good tune. Haunting. Wanted Don to punch the hippie in the face, but getting the better of him verbally was better.

Ahhh...thanks.  I knew it was one of those string thingies.   

And the dude who played Roy is now on that “Yellowstone” show.  He plays a cowboy.  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

I think I'm finally starting to get Peggy. 

You know who else got Peggy?

A lot of people.

• Laughing 1

22 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

i don't think that i ever got that impression.

I just rewatched the episode. I think my impression of Peggy and Pete having known each other before she started working for Don was that she seemed so unsettled by Pete's behavior in the office but then was so easy when he showed up at her apartment. Also the way Pete talked to her at her door. Granted he was drunk and wanted to close the deal, but him saying that he had to see her that night just didn't make sense to me unless they already had a relationship. I'm probably just trying to reconcile what seems like bad writing and contradictory behavior by both people happening in such a short period of time.

I'm up to season 2, episode 2.

Peggy really IS bat#### crazy. Would it be a safe bet to say we are going to also learn about a suicide attempt in her past?  Or is it just implied by her sister that told her the state of New York and the doctors didn't think he was capable of making her own decisions?  I had to re-watch that part 2 more times after the initial shock.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

I'm up to season 2, episode 2.

Peggy really IS bat#### crazy. Would it be a safe bet to say we are going to also learn about a suicide attempt in her past?  Or is it just implied by her sister that told her the state of New York and the doctors didn't think he was capable of making her own decisions?  I had to re-watch that part 2 more times after the initial shock.

might be covered in eps you aint seen yet, so...

cant be certain, but i believe the she underwent a psych eval because she wouldnt look at her baby

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Thanks 1

You know how sometimes a writer inserts himself into a story?  I think I figured out who's representing Matthew Weiner--Glen.

9 hours ago, Charlie Steiner said:

You know how sometimes a writer inserts himself into a story?  I think I figured out who's representing Matthew Weiner--Glen.

Enh, in part.  There's another surrogate for him, though . . . stick around

• Thinking 1

I liked Mad Men.  But by season 64 it felt like the same exact show I watched in season 1.  Like being stuck in time.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 5:25 AM, Aerial Assault said:

Enh, in part.  There's another surrogate for him, though . . . stick around

If you mean Ginsberg, I disagree; I think Ginsburg is Weiner's take on Aaron Sorkin. Plus, the kid that plays Glen is Weiner's kid.

Also, feel really bad about Sal and don't like how his last appearance went.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 5:38 PM, Brunell4MVP said:

I liked Mad Men.  But by season 64 it felt like the same exact show I watched in season 1.  Like being stuck in time.

It jumped the shark for me in season 39.