Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Penguin

Pressure washers, anyone ever have an accident?

50 posts in this topic

On Saturday I was cleaning the vinyl siding and back deck of my girlfriend's mother's house when I inadvertently hit my left pinky at full throttle with a 4000 psi pressure washer. Now I must say that the impact only lasted about a second but the damage ended up being significant.

At first I didn't know what the extent of the injury was, my finger immediately swelled up to at least double it's normal size. The pressure from the massive amount of blood trapped below the skin was excruciating, I was watching my finger swell before my eyes and thinking that it was going to explode because it was so full of blood. The bottom third of my finger was so crooked that I was sure that it was broken. After about a minute my skin ruptured from the pressure and blood began to pour out but once the pressure had been released, my finger really didn't hurt much at all. I wrapped it up really good and really tight, keeping it above my heart and everything seemed ok.

About an hour later I decided to take a look at my finger before getting in the shower and it didn't look that bad at all nor did it hurt in least, as there was no pressure of blood trapped under the skin. I put the same wrap back on (admittanly it was comprimised by me pulling it off.) After showering (The finger never got wet) I took the original wrap off again to clean the wound and put a fresh dressing on it and it began pouring out blood, I mean pouring. Every heartbeat I could see it push a stream of blood out. At this point it was 8 pm, I tried for about 45 minutes to stop/control the bleeding with extreme direct pressure but it was a lost cause, at 8:45 I decided to make the trek to the emergency room.

I was a little miffed at having to do this because 1) I'm a guy and we don't want to give in to reason 2) what a great way to spend a Saturday Night, in the emergency room 3) Bottom line is that it was a little more than a deep flesh wound and a broken pinky. Apply pressure and afix to a popsicle stick for 10 days. 4) This little venture is sure to costme $500+ out of pocket (probably more) for a cut and broken pinky.

Ends up that it was a good thing that I went. When the admitting nurse first took off my home made wrap she was sprayed a little with blood. Nothing hit her skin (I can asure you I am HIV free) but her scrubs had some blood on the front. Turns out that the bootom of my pinky was now exposed about a 1/4" through the skin and I had ruptered the small artery in the pinky. I had to wait two hours for a hand surgeon to stich me up.

On monday I have to see a plastic surgeon to find out if I'm going to need skin grafts as the chunk that the power washer took out is about 2 centimeters by a centimeter and a half and almost down to the bone.

Bottom line is this was such a stupid little accident that didn't even look bad at first. The only time it ever hurt was the first several minutes when it was extremely swelled with all thye blood, after that I literally didn't feel it the rest of the night, even during surgery in the ER.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a bonehead accident with a pressure washer

wow this has to be the worst pressure washer accident ever.........i once sprayed my foot by accident but nothing like this.

wow this has to be the worst pressure washer accident ever.........i once sprayed my foot by accident but nothing like this.

Funny you should say that, at the emergency room they told me they see three or four pressure washer accident victims a week, the hand surgeon said, "I can't believe you didn't do more damage than that>"I must also add that this was a pretty powerful machine, it's 4000 PSI and I had it locked on full throttle (I know, I know, Darwin award.)

gnarly

I think I'll be paying people to do my pressure washing jobs in the future.

I went to start one and put my hand on the exhaust for leverage. It had been running just a couple minutes before...I heard it sizzle before I felt it. That hurt.

I always wear my steeltoed boots when I pressure wash.

Pressure washers usually have a 3 foot wand on them no? How do you get your right hand back so far and your left hand so far forward?

I generally hire topless women to do my pressure washing. It's much safer and more entertaining.

I once got my finger with a pressure washer, but luckily it was on the lowest possible setting (i.e. the trigger was not pulled at all). Hurt like hell and my fingertip was completely numb for hours, but no broken skin. I can see why yours didn't hurt, as mine caused numbness. Probably zaps all the nerve endings.

On Saturday I was cleaning the vinyl siding and back deck of my girlfriend's mother's house when I inadvertently hit my left pinky at full throttle with a 4000 psi pressure washer. Now I must say that the impact only lasted about a second but the damage ended up being significant.

At first I didn't know what the extent of the injury was, my finger immediately swelled up to at least double it's normal size. The pressure from the massive amount of blood trapped below the skin was excruciating, I was watching my finger swell before my eyes and thinking that it was going to explode because it was so full of blood. The bottom third of my finger was so crooked that I was sure that it was broken. After about a minute my skin ruptured from the pressure and blood began to pour out but once the pressure had been released, my finger really didn't hurt much at all. I wrapped it up really good and really tight, keeping it above my heart and everything seemed ok.

About an hour later I decided to take a look at my finger before getting in the shower and it didn't look that bad at all nor did it hurt in least, as there was no pressure of blood trapped under the skin. I put the same wrap back on (admittanly it was comprimised by me pulling it off.) After showering (The finger never got wet) I took the original wrap off again to clean the wound and put a fresh dressing on it and it began pouring out blood, I mean pouring. Every heartbeat I could see it push a stream of blood out. At this point it was 8 pm, I tried for about 45 minutes to stop/control the bleeding with extreme direct pressure but it was a lost cause, at 8:45 I decided to make the trek to the emergency room.

I was a little miffed at having to do this because 1) I'm a guy and we don't want to give in to reason 2) what a great way to spend a Saturday Night, in the emergency room 3) Bottom line is that it was a little more than a deep flesh wound and a broken pinky. Apply pressure and afix to a popsicle stick for 10 days. 4) This little venture is sure to costme $500+ out of pocket (probably more) for a cut and broken pinky.

Ends up that it was a good thing that I went. When the admitting nurse first took off my home made wrap she was sprayed a little with blood. Nothing hit her skin (I can asure you I am HIV free) but her scrubs had some blood on the front. Turns out that the bootom of my pinky was now exposed about a 1/4" through the skin and I had ruptered the small artery in the pinky. I had to wait two hours for a hand surgeon to stich me up.

On monday I have to see a plastic surgeon to find out if I'm going to need skin grafts as the chunk that the power washer took out is about 2 centimeters by a centimeter and a half and almost down to the bone.

Bottom line is this was such a stupid little accident that didn't even look bad at first. The only time it ever hurt was the first several minutes when it was extremely swelled with all thye blood, after that I literally didn't feel it the rest of the night, even during surgery in the ER.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a bonehead accident with a pressure washer

my finger immediately swelled up to at least double it's normal size

At this point I'm at least thinking about going to the ER.....

I was watching my finger swell before my eyes and thinking that it was going to explode because it was so full of blood

At this point I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about going to the ER......

The bottom third of my finger was so crooked that I was sure that it was broken.

At this point I'm in the car on my way to the ER.......

After about a minute my skin ruptured from the pressure and blood began to pour out

At this point I'm like.......OMFG OMFG

began pouring out blood, I mean pouring. Every heartbeat I could see it push a stream of blood out.

OK......at this point I'm crying like a little ##### and calling out for my mommy.....

Apply pressure and afix to a popsicle stick for 10 days.

Do you do your own dental work also?????????

I tried for about 45 minutes to stop/control the bleeding with extreme direct pressure but it was a lost cause

You are one sick bastard.......

My brother works at a factory that manufactures these things. He says that some of the models "can cut a man in half".

On Saturday I was cleaning the vinyl siding and back deck of my girlfriend's mother's house when I inadvertently hit my left pinky at full throttle with a 4000 psi pressure washer.

Wow! The most pressure I ever used was 3500, and that was to remove the paint from an old car I was restoring.

Lawsuit! :excited:

When I wash my car I pretend I'm one of the ghostbusters and my auto is a ghost fighting with me. When it's finally clean I act like it got trapped into the box thing the ghostbusters carry around. I don't know if that qualifies or not though.

My brother works at a factory that manufactures these things. He says that some of the models "can cut a man in half".

I've seen one used in mining carve a hole in granite. I accidentally slipped a finger just an 1/8 of an inch over the nozzle on a very small weak home use model and it carved the cleanest 1/8 cut I have ever had. Surgical.

I always wear my steeltoed boots when I pressure wash.Pressure washers usually have a 3 foot wand on them no? How do you get your right hand back so far and your left hand so far forward?

This one had about a 3 foot wand. For the most part I was using two hands, my right on the trigger part (which was locked) and my left about 2/3 of the way down for stability otherwise it would wave out of control before too long. I was doing the top of the railing on the steps and I had it pointed at about a 30 degree downward angle from above and briefly took my left hand off of the wand as I was out of hose and tried to creat some slack when I hit it (the hose was in front of me, one of those, "You had to be there" things." It was too much too hold with one hand and it got away from me briefly :unsure:

my finger immediately swelled up to at least double it's normal size

At this point I'm at least thinking about going to the ER.....

I was watching my finger swell before my eyes and thinking that it was going to explode because it was so full of blood

At this point I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about going to the ER......

The bottom third of my finger was so crooked that I was sure that it was broken.

At this point I'm in the car on my way to the ER.......

After about a minute my skin ruptured from the pressure and blood began to pour out

At this point I'm like.......OMFG OMFG

began pouring out blood, I mean pouring. Every heartbeat I could see it push a stream of blood out.

OK......at this point I'm crying like a little ##### and calling out for my mommy.....

Apply pressure and afix to a popsicle stick for 10 days.

Do you do your own dental work also?????????

I tried for about 45 minutes to stop/control the bleeding with extreme direct pressure but it was a lost cause

You are one sick bastard.......
I admit that I was really nervous when it was swelling up so large and it hurt like a mutha f*%! but once the skin tore the swelling was gone in a minute or so and it no longer hurt. I still thought that the bottom 3rd "might" be broken but there's nothing they're going to do with a broken pinky other than splint it.

As far as the cut, I really didn't think it was that bad and I managed to get it to stop bleeding rather quickly and had the original make shift bandage on for at least an hour without it bleeding through. It was when I went to put a new/better dressing on it after showering that it began to bleed very bad. I had already stopped it from bleeding earlier so I tried again for about 45 minutes but was getting nowhere. I still didn't know that the cut was as deep as it was at this time, it really didn't look that bad.

Something that I didn'tt mention yesterday is that I have thin blood from taking a lot of asprin and slow clotting is not unusual for me, that's one of the reasons why I waited longer than others might before giving in. Also, who want to go to the emergency room for something like a little cut? You're sitting in there waiting and people are being brought in with major trauma from car accidents etc. It's also a ####ty way to spend your Saturday night.

As far as the pinky artery thing, I never heard of that before and I still don't know if there's really an artery in the pinky or if it was just the vein that delivers blood to the finger. They kept calling it "arterial" at the hospital because with every heart beat it would push out more blood than what was already dripping out.

Really it was just a bad cut and a little broken bone. It's not like I have a huge tolerance for pain nor was trying to play Mr. Tough Guy, it really didn't hurt at all (other than when it was originally swelling up and when they set the break.)

I slammed my left middle finger in a metal door in February. it turned black and was spewing blood. I went to the ER, waited for like 3 hrs and was given X-rays that came up negative for fracture, a gauze wrap for it, and instructions to have a wound check in 48 hours. At the wound check, I was given a Wile E. Coyote band-aid and sent on my way.

The whole thing cost me over $500 out of pocket. good thing I'm insured. :rolleyes:

Your busted artery story makes me think maybe my "don't go to the Emergency room unless you're absiolutely positive it's broken approach" isn't always the best idea.

As far as the pinky artery thing, I never heard of that before and I still don't know if there's really an artery in the pinky or if it was just the vein that delivers blood to the finger. They kept calling it "arterial" at the hospital because with every heart beat it would push out more blood than what was already dripping out.

You have arteries of variable size everywhere in your body. If you didn't, you wouldn't get much oxygen to those tissues that didn't have an artery nearby. There are some veins that will "pump" blood either because of pressure, swelling, etc, but they won't send streams of blood that far.

Pinky artery? Who knew.

How did you think the blood got there?

:(

I had to go back today for a follow up (dressing change, make sure no infection was present etc.) and to have a plastic surgeon look at it to see if I'd need a skin graph in the future, I almost brought a camera but didn't want to look like a tool (not that I'm not one.) This was the first time that I had seen it since the ER on Sat night/Sunday morning. I was suprised at the difference from just two days ago, it's really healling extremely well. Doc told me that fingers usually recover very well and they heal from bottom (inside) to top (outside) and that it was too early to tell if the skin would grow back enough on it's own. There's also a lot of skin that was torn but still present (flaps etc.) on the upper 3rd that will eventually die but for now it's providing a great barrier against infection, so it's staying for the time being.

Pinky artery? Who knew.

How did you think the blood got there?
I think Miggity was surprised by the color of the artery.Frankly so was I.

Lawsuit! :popcorn:

I could sue myself for stupidity but I wouldn't come out ahead

I shot the back of my leg behind my knee once with a pressure washer. It opened up the skin pretty good. But I was young and without insurance so I just patched it up. It took FOREVER to heal and left a helluva scar.

In retrospect I was pretty lucky.

I slipped and cut my leg open w/ a pressure washer.......I was amazed how easily that thing could cut someone open!

If I ever become a serial killer, I am going to use a pressure washer. Try getting forensics to match that cut to a weapon!!. OK, the water coming out of that PW matches exactly to the death wound on the victim. HA! you will never catch me.

I had a girlfriend in college who thought the perfect murder weapon was an icicle.  The evidence just melts away.  :crazy:

Funny you should say that, at the emergency room they told me they see three or four pressure washer accident victims a week, the hand surgeon said, "I can't believe you didn't do more damage than that>"I must also add that this was a pretty powerful machine, it's 4000 PSI and I had it locked on full throttle (I know, I know, Darwin award.)
How many HP?

well, there goes the idea of pressure washing the siding. :own3d:

4000psi is way more than you need to clean vinyl siding and wood decks. 2k max I think.

4000 PSI on the siding and deck?

I'm surprised you still have a deck and siding on the house. Anyone in the house get injured?

4000 PSI on the siding and deck?I'm surprised you still have a deck and siding on the house. Anyone in the house get injured?

I'm often perplexed when some of these threads get pulled up after so long--were you searching for 'pressure washing'?!! :confused:

4000 PSI on the siding and deck?I'm surprised you still have a deck and siding on the house. Anyone in the house get injured?

I'm often perplexed when some of these threads get pulled up after so long--were you searching for 'pressure washing'?!! :confused:
:confused: I think I was framed

Next time, use one of these:

Commercial water jet cutting systems are available from manufacturers all over the world, in a range of sizes, and with water pumps capable of a range of pressures. Typical water jet cutting machines have a working envelope as small as a few square feet, or up to hundreds of square feet. Ultra-high pressure water pumps are available from as low as 40,000 psi up to 90,000 psi.

Then, you can get a bionic hand.

wow. i pressure wash the deck at my restaurant weekly (hour long job no less) and have never felt the need to put my hand in front of that thing. good thinkin'

:blackdot:

My Dad basically sliced the top layer of skin off his shin a few months ago. He was pressure washing our dirty driveway, and in a mental lapse, pulled the trigger while the thing was slightly aimed down at his leg. It basically was as if he ran the front of his shin through a deli meat slicer. Just took the top layer clean off. Gross stuff. Those things really are dangerous if you're not careful.

The have different nozzles to limit the flow.

You still have the biggest, and baddest pressure washer in the neighborhood.

Why was my post deleted? I was simply pointing out that in the future, folks might want hire a Pro for these kinds of jobs. It IS good advice for readers that see someone get hurt. There is so much more to using a pressure washer and even more to properly cleaning a surface. If I violated a rule, please point it out as I can't find any rules on posting.