Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kerntuber

IDP to replace Defense 1st year

We replaced defensive teams this year and will be starting 1DB, 1LB, and 1DL to start with 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, and 1K. If our team size is limited to 20 with 10 teams in the league, is there much value in drafting the defensive positions earlier as opposed to next to last? I don't see a huge jump from 1 to 10 and even if people jumped on two each I think there might still be value late. We have unlimited waivers, so I can afford to drop and pick-up another to play match-ups. Should I stock up on and extra WR and RB and save the last picks for IDPs and a kicker or is there enough value to pick up one of the top projections? Scoring for offense all TD's(passing/receiving) 6pts, 1pt 10yds rush/rec, 1pt 25/pass, 5pt bonus for 100yds rush/receiving(300 passing), 1pt per reception. IDP scoring is 1pt per tackle, .5 per assist, 6 pts for TD, 2pts for sack, int, forced fumble. I'm thinking that with a smaller league there will be plenty of depth at each position. Next year we will go to 2-3 at each IDP, so having solid starters will be more important, but I could use some advise on key players I might want to target later in the draft or if there is a big advantage, how early should I draft? Thanks for any help.

We replaced defensive teams this year and will be starting 1DB, 1LB, and 1DL to start with 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, and 1K. If our team size is limited to 20 with 10 teams in the league, is there much value in drafting the defensive positions earlier as opposed to next to last? I don't see a huge jump from 1 to 10 and even if people jumped on two each I think there might still be value late. We have unlimited waivers, so I can afford to drop and pick-up another to play match-ups. Should I stock up on and extra WR and RB and save the last picks for IDPs and a kicker or is there enough value to pick up one of the top projections? Scoring for offense all TD's(passing/receiving) 6pts, 1pt 10yds rush/rec, 1pt 25/pass, 5pt bonus for 100yds rush/receiving(300 passing), 1pt per reception. IDP scoring is 1pt per tackle, .5 per assist, 6 pts for TD, 2pts for sack, int, forced fumble. I'm thinking that with a smaller league there will be plenty of depth at each position. Next year we will go to 2-3 at each IDP, so having solid starters will be more important, but I could use some advise on key players I might want to target later in the draft or if there is a big advantage, how early should I draft? Thanks for any help.

You've got it exactly right. The scoring system gives little relative advantage to the IDPs and, while you don't want to be starting the #20 player at every IDP slot, waiting until there is no more value to be had on offense is the correct strategy here. You'll likely still get nice players and playing matchups should easily keep you from losing much ground to the owners that reach for the Ryans and Wilsons of the world.

Focus on the steady tacklers when you do grab your IDPs. A sack to tackle ratio of 2:1 makes guys like Merriman, Ware and Wimbley marginal starters at best in your system. Cross them and the players like them off your list.