What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2008 DETROIT TIGERS Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
Free Agents:

Sean Casey (unlikely to return)

Todd Jones (40/60 to return) :goodposting: back

Kenny Rogers (70/30 to return) :thumbup: back

Arbitration eligible:

Nate Robertson (signed three year 21 million dollar contract)

Omar Infante Traded

Timo Perez (re-signed)

Marcus Thames (offered contract)

Tim Byrdak (retained)

Chad Durbin (released)

Option eligible:

I-Rod (Club/$13 million) EXERCISED

Needs:

LF (Jacque Jones) Miguel Cabrera

Closer (Todd Jones re-signed)

SS (EDGAR RENTERIA acquired for P Jair Jurrjens and OF Gorkys Hernandez)

Middle Relief

Projected starters:

C-I-Rod

1B-Carlos Guillen

2B-Placido Polanco

SS-Edgar Renteria

3B- Miguel Cabrera (Signed 8 year deal)

LF-Platoon of Ryan Raburn/Jacque Jones/Marcus Thames

CF-Curtis Granderson (Signed 5 year extension)

RF-Magglio Ordonez

DH-Gary Sheffield

Bench

C Vance Wilson

SS Ramon Santiago

OF Ryan Raburn

3B/OF Brandon Inge

SP Justin Verlander

SP Jeremy Bonderman

SP Nate Robertson

SP Andrew Miller Dontrelle Willis (contract extended through 2010)

SP Kenny Rogers

Long Relief Zach Miner

Set-up Fernando Rodney

Set-up Joel Zumaya (broke ****)

Three of these five will likely round out pen:

Jose Capellan

Bobby Seay*

Macey McBride

Jason Grilli

Yorman Bazardo*

+ 1 FA pitcher

*=Likely to make team

Thames I think will be gone. Raburn is probably really safe to put on the bench because he plays 5 positions. A lot will change with these projections and the Tigers could add as many as three new pitchers in the off-season to bolster the bullpen. That would include finding a replacement for Todd Jones which may or may not already be on the roster. I would be shocked if they do not acquire an upgrade at 1B, in LF, or at SS that would move Carlos Guillen to first.

:bye:

Last edited by a moderator:
I mentioned on motownsports.com that I don't think they should reesign Pudge. A Vance Wilson/Mike Rabelo platoon at this point is just as good as Pudge for A LOT less money.

Do we know when Wilson will be healthy?

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect they will move Guillen to 1b and bring in a SS. It looks -- with the way Santiago has played lately -- that Infante may be done. Maybe they will package NateRob and Infante for a SS.

Looks like the plan is to put Guillen at first next year. From today's Free Press.

Tigers plan to play Guillen at 1B full-time next season; who's at short?

September 29, 2007

BY JOHN LOWE

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

CHICAGO -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Friday that he plans to make Carlos Guillen the Tigers' full-time first baseman, beginning with next season.

Guillen, who turns 32 on Sunday, would move to first as he begins the four-year contract extension he signed in spring training.

Leyland slightly hedged the decision. "It could change, but that's the intention," he said. He thus apparently left room for some unforeseen off-season acquisition that could change his plans.

Leyland wouldn't discuss who might replace Guillen as the full-time shortstop. All three traditional avenues are possibilities for the Tigers as they seek a shortstop: free agency (San Francisco's still impeccable Omar Vizquel, Pittsburgh's Cesar Izturis), trade (will they resume pursuit of Pittsburgh's Jack Wilson?) and their own organization (Ramon Santiago has looked good at short lately).

When Guillen signed the four-year extension, he'd been told by the club he could be moved to first at some point during the new contract. Leyland said a big reason he has decided to make the move now -- in effect, for Guillen's entire four-year extension -- is to keep Guillen healthy, available and productive.

"I'll have him on the field all the time, and I think it will be a lot less stressful for him (than shortstop)," Leyland said. "You want to take advantage of your investments, and I think it's a perfect spot. ... We signed him because he's a great player. We've got him for four more years, and I want to make sure he plays. You do whatever you can to give yourself your best shot to do that."

Guillen's legs regularly gave him trouble this season. He didn't miss many games, but at times his range at shortstop clearly was diminished. Guillen has often played first in recent weeks as Santiago has played short.

Guillen entered Friday with 19 homers and 97 RBIs. Shortstop is considered the most physically draining position other than catcher, and Guillen was asked if moving to first might improve his offensive production.

"I don't want to start thinking like I'm a power hitter," Guillen said. "First base is a power position. I'm not that kind of guy."

Entering Friday, Guillen had played in 43 big-league games at first base, including 18 starts. All that action has come in the last two seasons.

The Tigers tried to deal for Wilson, the Pirates' veteran shortstop, at the July 31 trading deadline. If they had done so, Guillen apparently would have become the full-time first baseman immediately.

Guillen said last week that he would be reluctant to move to first unless the Tigers had someone qualified to take his place at short. Leyland told him of the pending switch earlier this week, and on Friday, Guillen said of the move, "No problem. I want to help the team get better and get back to the postseason."

Notebook: First-base coach Andy Van Slyke (who's also in charge of baserunning and outfielders' defense) will return next season, making it official that all the Tigers' coaches will return . . . Sean Casey, who's eligible for free agency, has been the Tigers' primary first baseman this season. With Guillen taking over at first, could Casey's recent success as a pinch-hitter enter into the decision on whether to bring him back? "I would think so," Leyland said.

Contact JOHN LOWE at 313-223-4053 or jlowe@freepress.com. Check out his Tigers blog at www.freep.com/sports.

JohnDoe said:
Looks like the plan is to put Guillen at first next year. From today's Free Press.Tigers plan to play Guillen at 1B full-time next season; who's at short?September 29, 2007BY JOHN LOWEFREE PRESS SPORTS WRITERCHICAGO -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Friday that he plans to make Carlos Guillen the Tigers' full-time first baseman, beginning with next season.Guillen, who turns 32 on Sunday, would move to first as he begins the four-year contract extension he signed in spring training.Leyland slightly hedged the decision. "It could change, but that's the intention," he said. He thus apparently left room for some unforeseen off-season acquisition that could change his plans.Contact JOHN LOWE at 313-223-4053 or jlowe@freepress.com. Check out his Tigers blog at www.freep.com/sports.
This isn't too surprising. It'll be interesting who they find to play SS, though. The options mentioned in the article aren't too thrilling. Also what about 3b? In 2006, Inge was great. 2007? Yikes. What did he have -- 13 HRs? Not NEARLY good enough.

JohnDoe said:
Looks like the plan is to put Guillen at first next year. From today's Free Press.Tigers plan to play Guillen at 1B full-time next season; who's at short?September 29, 2007BY JOHN LOWEFREE PRESS SPORTS WRITERCHICAGO -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Friday that he plans to make Carlos Guillen the Tigers' full-time first baseman, beginning with next season.Guillen, who turns 32 on Sunday, would move to first as he begins the four-year contract extension he signed in spring training.Leyland slightly hedged the decision. "It could change, but that's the intention," he said. He thus apparently left room for some unforeseen off-season acquisition that could change his plans.Contact JOHN LOWE at 313-223-4053 or jlowe@freepress.com. Check out his Tigers blog at www.freep.com/sports.
This isn't too surprising. It'll be interesting who they find to play SS, though. The options mentioned in the article aren't too thrilling. Also what about 3b? In 2006, Inge was great. 2007? Yikes. What did he have -- 13 HRs? Not NEARLY good enough.
I think Guillen would still be playing short at least half the time but maybe they have a plan. Dunno whether Jim just decided this on his own or not but I hope Dombrowski told him he would address the 1B problem by moving Guillen there and adding a SS or 3Bman. Dunno but Leyland has to be re-signed also and hopefully that happens this coming week. I think he and Dombrowski are on the same page but recent Leyland comments make me a little suspicious. Leyland is either 100 percent in, or rebelling....it's hard to tell. Tigers really need to add a left-handed hitter with power who draws walks before anything else IMO. We can't have two offensive black holes at 3B and SS also. I think Sanchez can be an everyday SS because he's a gold glove caliber player but we can't have Inge and him batting 8th and 9th. I would be ok with that only if the Tigers add a player like Adam Dunn to play LF. In that case, batting Inge and thinking of him as a pitcher with pop works.

JohnDoe said:
I think Guillen would still be playing short at least half the time but maybe they have a plan. Dunno whether Jim just decided this on his own or not but I hope Dombrowski told him he would address the 1B problem by moving Guillen there and adding a SS or 3Bman. Dunno but Leyland has to be re-signed also and hopefully that happens this coming week. I think he and Dombrowski are on the same page but recent Leyland comments make me a little suspicious. Leyland is either 100 percent in, or rebelling....it's hard to tell. Tigers really need to add a left-handed hitter with power who draws walks before anything else IMO. We can't have two offensive black holes at 3B and SS also. I think Sanchez can be an everyday SS because he's a gold glove caliber player but we can't have Inge and him batting 8th and 9th. I would be ok with that only if the Tigers add a player like Adam Dunn to play LF. In that case, batting Inge and thinking of him as a pitcher with pop works.
Don't tease me with the Adam Dunn talk. You'll just get my hopes up.

Casey Not ReturningClass guy. I'll miss him.

CHICAGO – Sean Casey was told in a Saturday meeting with Tigers manager Jim Leyland and president/general manager Dave Dombrowski that he will not return to the club in 2008.Once the club decided Carlos Guillen would move from shortstop to first base next year, Casey effectively lost his spot on the roster.Advertisement “This has been the greatest year and a half of my career,” Casey said before Sunday’s season finale. “I just appreciate being over here. The World Series last year was great.“This is a great bunch of guys in here, man, and a great city. I love Detroit and the fans. I’ll miss that atmosphere. I’ll miss the staff. Those guys are great. It’s a top-notch organization.“I appreciated that they (Leyland and Dombrowski) brought me in to say that to me, man-to-man. That was great. I have nothing but great memories here.”

ChrisCooleyFan said:
SofaKings said:
:thumbup:
I will echo this. Casey is a great influence on the young players with his class, professionalism and general great attitude. He has always been a favorite of mine because of his attitude.

ChrisCooleyFan said:
SofaKings said:
:thumbup:
I will echo this. Casey is a great influence on the young players with his class, professionalism and general great attitude. He has always been a favorite of mine because of his attitude.
He definitely seems like a good guy. Having said that, there's NO QUESTION this is the right move for Los Tigres.

I wouldn't be shocked if there was a Renteria/Roberston trade in Atl/Det's future. Both look like spare parts at the moment.

This surprises me, but like I said above, I think its the right move.

Tigers unlikely to bring back Pudge

by Danny Knobler

Sunday September 30, 2007, 6:56 PM

AP PhotoAfter four seasons with the Tigers, it appears unlikely the team will exercise the $13 million option to keep catcher Ivan Rodriguez in Detroit for 2008.

CHICAGO -- The offseason begins today, and the Detroit Tigers will be looking for a shortstop and at least a part-time left fielder.

And a catcher.

Yes, a catcher, because it appears that the Tigers are prepared to decline their $13 million 2008 option on Ivan Rodriguez's contract. While there were also hints that the Tigers would try to work out a deal to bring Rodriguez back for less than $13 million, it's unlikely he would agree to that.

Manager Jim Leyland had little to say about Rodriguez on Sunday, when he discussed the Tigers' winter plans before a 13-3 win over the White Sox to end the season.

"That is a major issue that will be handled by people a lot higher up than me,'' he said.

Those people higher up include owner Mike Ilitch, who pushed hard to sign Rodriguez when the Tigers were coming off a 119-loss season in 2003. Rodriguez was asking for a four-year, $40 million contract, and the Tigers were the one team willing to offer exactly that.

To make it a $40 million guarantee, though, Rodriguez and his agent negotiated the $13 million option for 2008, with a $3 million buyout. That $13 million has now become a sticking point, because Tigers officials don't believe that Rodriguez is worth that much.

The biggest problem with letting Rodriguez leave is that the Tigers don't have anyone ready to replace him, and the free-agent market for catchers is extremely weak. But now it appears the Tigers will be shopping in that market, and Rodriguez will be looking for a new job (very possibly with the New York Mets).

As for shortstop, all Leyland would say Sunday is that it's unlikely that Ramon Santiago will be the Tiger starter in 2008. The Tigers will be looking outside the organization, both at free agents and at possible trades.

Leyland agreed that finding a shortstop is more crucial than finding a left fielder, and he said a left-field platoon is a real possibility. Marcus Thames could play against left-handers and against some right-handers, with a left-handed hitter to be named taking over the remaining at-bats.

Casey won't be back

With Carlos Guillen moving full-time to first base, the Tigers already have told Sean Casey that he won't be coming back in 2008.

"I'm not sad,'' Casey said. "I'm grateful. I've enjoyed my time here so much. Some of the best memories of my 10-year career have been here.''

Casey will look for a job elsewhere.

"I'm 33 years old,'' he said. "I've got a lot of baseball left.''

Odds & ends

Perhaps the most overlooked accomplishment Sunday was that Placido Polanco finished an errorless season at second base. Polanco played 142 games; no other second baseman in major-league history has played even 100 games in an errorless season. In fact, the only other infielder to go through a season of 100-plus games without committing an error was Steve Garvey, who played 159 games at first base in 1984. ... Leyland expressed confidence that Gary Sheffield will come back healthy in 2008. Sheffield will have his right shoulder examined in the coming days, and could have surgery. He once again ruled out any chance that he'll retire. ``I'm going to play,'' he said. ... Leyland on rookie catcher Mike Rabelo's first big-league homer, which came in his 169th career at-bat: "Six guys broke out in poison ivy when he did that.'' ... Leyland also offered one final tribute to the Tiger fans, including those who packed Comerica Park and also those who followed the team on the road: "On behalf of all the uniformed personnel, I offer heartfelt thanks to our fans. I can't tell you how much we appreciate them.''

See more in Tigers Stories

If they're really looking for a catcher they should talk to the M's. Clement is stuck behind Suzuki and should be playing somewhere.

Link

Leyland: Bonds not joining Tigers

Posted by Scott Warheit October 01, 2007 07:52AM

Detroit Tigers fans hoping that the Tigers would solidify their lineup with the addition of Barry Bonds may be disappointed to the learn the Tigers have no plans to bring the slugger on board next season, despite his history with manager Jim Leyland.

October 1, Detroit Free Press: Leyland, when asked whether Barry Bonds could be an off-season acquisition: "Barry Bonds will not be a Detroit Tiger next year. End all speculation: He will not be a Detroit Tiger."

Leyland on rookie catcher Mike Rabelo's first big-league homer, which came in his 169th career at-bat: "Six guys broke out in poison ivy when he did that.'' ...
What the heck does that mean?

I'm actually fine with a vance Wilson/Mike Rabello platoon at C considering what I saw from Pudge this year. He is not worth $13 million and there has been speculation they would not exercise his option and bring him back for 7 or 8 mill for awhile now.

But having that platoon, Santiago at SS, and Inge at 3B with Rayburn/Perez/Thames in LF is unacceptable.

I'm actually fine with a vance Wilson/Mike Rabello platoon at C considering what I saw from Pudge this year. He is not worth $13 million and there has been speculation they would not exercise his option and bring him back for 7 or 8 mill for awhile now. But having that platoon, Santiago at SS, and Inge at 3B with Rayburn/Perez/Thames in LF is unacceptable.
I agree, with Carlos at 1st & Mags in right only 2 of the 4 corner positions would be solid enough from a hitting standpoint. I could live with Santiago at SS if they upgraded the other 2 spots.

What has Jack Wilson ever done? The guy is decent, but not outstanding.
Exactly. He would be a more expensive Ramon Santiago.
Wilson is much more expensive but he's also a player that is more easy to gauge over a season than Santiago who has only one major league season with more than 250 ABs. Wilson had a great second half and is on the block and if he can be had for next to nothing and the Tigers are willing to pay the salary, he's worth a look. He is a very good fielding shortstop and has had a 200 hit season so I think he has some upside. We would have already had him but Pittsburgh tried to include Jurrjens in the trade at the very last minute in August and Dombrowski probably dropped the phone laughing. My opinion is if you can get Wilson for a low level prospect then do it. At worst he's a platoon player when he's in a slump, at best he's a 200 hit player who will be in the top ten percent in fielding.
I wouldn't be shocked if there was a Renteria/Roberston trade in Atl/Det's future. Both look like spare parts at the moment.
Renteria is pretty expensive. No doubt he'd be nice to add but I'm not sure the Tigers would add that kind of payroll if they truly intend to bring in a left-handed stick for LF. I think this idea is very plausible though.

What has Jack Wilson ever done? The guy is decent, but not outstanding.
Exactly. He would be a more expensive Ramon Santiago.
Wilson is much more expensive but he's also a player that is more easy to gauge over a season than Santiago who has only one major league season with more than 250 ABs. Wilson had a great second half and is on the block and if he can be had for next to nothing and the Tigers are willing to pay the salary, he's worth a look. He is a very good fielding shortstop and has had a 200 hit season so I think he has some upside. We would have already had him but Pittsburgh tried to include Jurrjens in the trade at the very last minute in August and Dombrowski probably dropped the phone laughing. My opinion is if you can get Wilson for a low level prospect then do it. At worst he's a platoon player when he's in a slump, at best he's a 200 hit player who will be in the top ten percent in fielding.
Renteria is pretty expensive. No doubt he'd be nice to add but I'm not sure the Tigers would add that kind of payroll if they truly intend to bring in a left-handed stick for LF. I think this idea is very plausible though.
Both your points get to a larger point in this offseason. Unless you're in the market for spare parts, there is virtually nothing available besides for some CFs, A-Rod, and Lowell

Both your points get to a larger point in this offseason. Unless you're in the market for spare parts, there is virtually nothing available besides for some CFs, A-Rod, and Lowell
A lot of the guys becoming free agents didn't do themselves any favors this season or have a lot of question marks:Andrew JonesTorii HunterMike CameronMilton BradleyAbreau has a team option, don't know if he'll be back or not. Dunn has a team option too and I see that being exercised and then he'll be dealt. There are a lot of middling OFers like Shannon Stewart and Reggie Sanders that can be a one year quick fix but outside a Dunn trade, nothing all that exciting. Andrew Jones is going to want 100+million thrown at him when he has the mileage of a 77 Pinto. That should be fun to watch. Josh Fogg's stock has gone up this season and it could just keep going if he has any postseason success. But the starting pitching pool is pretty weak unless you think Bartolo Colon is gonna be back to his old self or if you need to add a 4th starter like Jason Jennings. The one place teams will have luck is if they are looking for a closer. Gagne, Francisco Cordero, Scott Linebrink, Borowski, Todd Jones, Octavio Dotel, Mariano, and possibly Joe Nathan are all available. Lowell is one of the best available but it's really A-Rod and then a huge gap to Lowell, Jones, and Hunter. There are a few guys who will probably turn out to be diamonds in the rough but there is a lot of coal in this FA group. I think a few trades especially if Dunn or Johan are involved, will make or break the entertainment value of this off-season.

I read in the Free Press today that Jones may be looking to head to Atlanta. He has a home about 1.5 hours away, and he may be looking to play for a team close to home. IMO Rivera will remain a Yankee and the Twins will probably pick up the option on Nathan.

DETROIT -- The Tigers followed through with the first task on their offseason to-do list on Tuesday and signed manager Jim Leyland to a one-year extension, putting him under contract through 2009.

The move had been a subject of conversation since the final week of the regular season. The Tigers were interested in signing Leyland to a longer deal, but he told reporters a week ago that he preferred to add just one more year. Though he has said he's interested in managing beyond that, he doesn't want to put himself or the team in a contractual bind should he decide in the coming years that he wants to step away.

Leyland met with president/general manager Dave Dombrowski on Monday morning but didn't emerge with a deal only because owner Mike Ilitch first had to sign off. The one-year extension will probably become an annual October announcement.

"We are very happy with the outstanding job he has done and with the leadership he provides our organization," Dombrowski said of Leyland. "We look forward to Jim managing the Tigers for a long time."

Leyland owns a 183-141 record in two seasons at the helm of the Tigers, including 88-74 this year. Only three men won more games in their first two seasons managing the Tigers. Mickey Cochrane and Mayo Smith racked up 194 wins each in 1934-35 and 1967-68, respectively. Bob Scheffing earned 186 wins in 1961-62.

Doctor Detroit said:
DETROIT -- The Tigers followed through with the first task on their offseason to-do list on Tuesday and signed manager Jim Leyland to a one-year extension, putting him under contract through 2009.

The move had been a subject of conversation since the final week of the regular season. The Tigers were interested in signing Leyland to a longer deal, but he told reporters a week ago that he preferred to add just one more year. Though he has said he's interested in managing beyond that, he doesn't want to put himself or the team in a contractual bind should he decide in the coming years that he wants to step away.

Leyland met with president/general manager Dave Dombrowski on Monday morning but didn't emerge with a deal only because owner Mike Ilitch first had to sign off. The one-year extension will probably become an annual October announcement.

"We are very happy with the outstanding job he has done and with the leadership he provides our organization," Dombrowski said of Leyland. "We look forward to Jim managing the Tigers for a long time."

Leyland owns a 183-141 record in two seasons at the helm of the Tigers, including 88-74 this year. Only three men won more games in their first two seasons managing the Tigers. Mickey Cochrane and Mayo Smith racked up 194 wins each in 1934-35 and 1967-68, respectively. Bob Scheffing earned 186 wins in 1961-62.
You gotta love Jimmy. Thank goodness he's back! Now we just have to hope his lungs hold out for another few years!!

You gotta love Jimmy. Thank goodness he's back! Now we just have to hope his lungs hold out for another few years!!
I'm not always a fan of the way he manages his lineup, but you can't argue with the difference he has helped make in the final product the last 2 years.2007 - 88 & 74

2006 - 95 & 67

2005 - 71 & 91

2004 - 72 & 89

:white corner:and is andruw jones a possibly?
Oh hell ####### no.
Kjust asking, I know he got a great glove but it looks like he lost his bat last year huh.my bad
No it's not that. He would cost too much, we have Maybin to play there at least by 2009, and he has lost a step or three. I just don't think he's worth the money. You could get the same player for a lot less IMO.

just herd on the radio that pudge,DD, and pudges agent are metting today, 1270 reported that a decision might come today regarding the future of Pudge

October 04, 2007Sheff to have surgeryAfter being examined by Dr. John Uribe today in Miami, he'll undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder on Monday. No idea yet whether that's the procedure he had discussed earlier, where bone would be shaved down in his shoulder. Whether it is or not, however, it's not expected to be major surgery, since he's expected to be ready for the start of Spring Training.

October 04, 2007Sheff to have surgeryAfter being examined by Dr. John Uribe today in Miami, he'll undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder on Monday. No idea yet whether that's the procedure he had discussed earlier, where bone would be shaved down in his shoulder. Whether it is or not, however, it's not expected to be major surgery, since he's expected to be ready for the start of Spring Training.
This is probably good news, I reckon. Assuming he's healthy come spring.

Although they didn't have any better options, this is a decision made by the owner Mike Illitch. Pudge really started the ball rolling by coming to Detroit and Illitch is loyal to a fault. It's not a great baseball move but it's a very smart business move for illitch and a good move for the franchise. Players know if they come to Detroit they will be taken care of and treated with respect. In that vein this a great move IMO.

Although they didn't have any better options, this is a decision made by the owner Mike Illitch. Pudge really started the ball rolling by coming to Detroit and Illitch is loyal to a fault. It's not a great baseball move but it's a very smart business move for illitch and a good move for the franchise. Players know if they come to Detroit they will be taken care of and treated with respect. In that vein this a great move IMO.
I think it is a good move. We really have nobody to replace him right now.Plus I was listening to WDFN and Scott Boros has taken a liking to Mike Illitch through the Pudge and Maggs signings.Also heard that Pudge "really" wanted to comeback to Detroit. On to a shortstop/left fielder.We bring in A-Rod to play third..move Inge to short.

As far as Pudge goes, there's no salary cap so why not? I'm not a big fan of his hitting but he's still solid behind the plate and as Da Guru said it sends a positive message thru the league.

:shrug: As far as Pudge goes, it was a tough one. In the end, I like the decision because of the loyalty it shows and the message it sends to the free agent market about how we treat big name players coming to Detroit. He's clearly not a $13mm player, but he did get the ball rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread