What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The top 10 records that will never be broken. (According to NFLN) (1 Viewer)

10 - 7 Sacks in one game - Derrick Thomas8 - Undefeated season - Miami Dolphins
I can see both of these going down. Every year there are a couple teams with 13-14 wins, so it's not like 16 is completely out of reach.7 sacks seems impossible but with the right conditions (snowstorm, overtime, etc.) it could fall.

Earl Campbell: Four 200-yard rushing games in a single season. I just learned that one recently and it blew my mind. Ties for second-most 200-yard rushing games in a career (OJ is #1 with 6).

Jerry Rice's career TD record.

Jerry Rice's career yardage record.

With RB's and TE's getting more touches and overall WR depth being good, I think Jerry's records are pretty safe.

I could see Barry's consecutive 100+ rushing games being broken. 12 or 14 I think?
I thnk Jerry Rice's records are close to unbreakable. I know we are seeing passing era of football but with NFL free agency (playing on good O vs. bad O), injuries, and most important, peoples straight up desire to be the best, Rice is almost untouchable. M. Harrison is great and one of the best, but even he will not catch Rice. Alot (not all) of the young players coming into the league today care more about money it seems than they do about the game. Rice love of the game, determination to be the best, and durability ae all things that will have to be matched in order to come close to his records. Just look at R. Moss. When he came into the league everyone thought after his first 2 or 3 years that he was going to break all of Rices records. Just shows how hard it was for Rice to do what he did.It will take a "perfect" career for a WR to come close to what Rice accomplished.

How can you break the record for an undefeated season? You can't do better than undefeated. I understand that there are more games now per season, but at best you can only tie that record.
It's more breakable than the 99 yard reception or the 99 yard rush or the 109 yard kickoff return (which hasn't happened yet, but certainly will eventually). You're right, though, that no matter how many teams tie the record, the Dolphins will go down in history as one of a very small number of teams that has ever achieved the perfect season.

That's a great point, as well. For the single game records, you just need the starts to aling on a particular day. For a record like Landry's you need to be unbelievebly successful for 30 years! 3 sub-par years and you could be tossed to the curb. You'd probably have to win 7+ championships over 30 years to be safe enough to run for that record.
Noll had 23 straight before he voluntarily retired, and Shula had 26, so it's not like it's really that untouchable. Cowher could have made a serious run at it if he'd been so inclined. Among active coaches, I think that record is Shanahan's or Belichick's if only either of them wants it.
Both Noll/Shula were on the hot seat when they volunteered to pull the plug.... and that's despite the fact they were two of the most successful coaches ever.Noll hadn't won 10 games in PIT the last 8 years of his run in PIT. Plenty of people thought he was too loyal to Bradshaw and didn't bring in someone to groom to replace him soon enough.I remember plenty of fans were excited about Shula leaving and I never did understand that one. He had 10/11/12 win seasons in his last six years in MIA. I think that example only underscores the fact fans expectations are just so unrealistic. The big knock on Shula was "what has he done lately?". 12-4 is a big deal in the NFL but it's not good enough for fans if you lose in the playoffs. He fell victim to yet another potential pitfall to the longevity of a coaching staff: flavor of the month. Jimmy Johnson was the hottest commodity out there at the time and Shula was discarded as an afterthought when Jimmy Johnson became available. MIA threw away maybe one of the best coaches of all time for one of the best coaches of the last decade.You would think a guy like Jeff Fisher would have a chance but even he was reported to be on the hot seat going into last season. Still haven't figured that one out either. The front office new the franchise was going to be in salary cap hell for at least one year, maybe two and predictably TEN stunk. Fisher has always been a good coach. Perhaps part of the reason I don't think that record will ever be broken is because so much of it is out of the coaches hands. He can coach great but if his GM puts his team in cap hell or his big $ franchise player gets a career ending(or even just talent eroding) injury the coach gets blamed. The easy out is to change the coach and pray for better results. Ask oak fans.It's easy to throw out Belichick now, but get back to me in a couple of decades and we'll see how the landscape has changed. If Brady(who is over 30btw) has a serious injury that team goes from world-beater to very good quickly.As far as Shanny he does seem like the Teflon don. They underachieve in the playoffs every year and he seems to escape all criticism. It's always the QB's fault.... which may not bode well for Cutler. Truth is Shanny has won ONE playoff game since '99. At some point that could catch up to him.

19-0 > 17-0

Sorry, it's just a fact.

They are both undefeated but the (17-0) gets and asterisk.

For those that don't think it deserves an asterisk, if in a strike shortened season a team went 6-0 should they get the same credit the MIA team currently gets? I would think not.

47 straight games with a TD is the most impressive record on that list.

The coaching records won't be broken either. Shanahan and Belichick have been mentioned but they are both already too old to have a realistic shot. Cower and Fisher are good examples but with the money coaches are paid today, plus the pressure - why stick around that long?

That's a great point, as well. For the single game records, you just need the starts to aling on a particular day. For a record like Landry's you need to be unbelievebly successful for 30 years! 3 sub-par years and you could be tossed to the curb. You'd probably have to win 7+ championships over 30 years to be safe enough to run for that record.
Noll had 23 straight before he voluntarily retired, and Shula had 26, so it's not like it's really that untouchable. Cowher could have made a serious run at it if he'd been so inclined. Among active coaches, I think that record is Shanahan's or Belichick's if only either of them wants it.
Both Noll/Shula were on the hot seat when they volunteered to pull the plug.... and that's despite the fact they were two of the most successful coaches ever.Noll hadn't won 10 games in PIT the last 8 years of his run in PIT. Plenty of people thought he was too loyal to Bradshaw and didn't bring in someone to groom to replace him soon enough.I remember plenty of fans were excited about Shula leaving and I never did understand that one. He had 10/11/12 win seasons in his last six years in MIA. I think that example only underscores the fact fans expectations are just so unrealistic. The big knock on Shula was "what has he done lately?". 12-4 is a big deal in the NFL but it's not good enough for fans if you lose in the playoffs. He fell victim to yet another potential pitfall to the longevity of a coaching staff: flavor of the month. Jimmy Johnson was the hottest commodity out there at the time and Shula was discarded as an afterthought when Jimmy Johnson became available. MIA threw away maybe one of the best coaches of all time for one of the best coaches of the last decade.You would think a guy like Jeff Fisher would have a chance but even he was reported to be on the hot seat going into last season. Still haven't figured that one out either. The front office new the franchise was going to be in salary cap hell for at least one year, maybe two and predictably TEN stunk. Fisher has always been a good coach. Perhaps part of the reason I don't think that record will ever be broken is because so much of it is out of the coaches hands. He can coach great but if his GM puts his team in cap hell or his big $ franchise player gets a career ending(or even just talent eroding) injury the coach gets blamed. The easy out is to change the coach and pray for better results. Ask oak fans.It's easy to throw out Belichick now, but get back to me in a couple of decades and we'll see how the landscape has changed. If Brady(who is over 30btw) has a serious injury that team goes from world-beater to very good quickly.As far as Shanny he does seem like the Teflon don. They underachieve in the playoffs every year and he seems to escape all criticism. It's always the QB's fault.... which may not bode well for Cutler. Truth is Shanny has won ONE playoff game since '99. At some point that could catch up to him.
I think that this record is more about ownership than the coach. Bowlen and the Rooneys have both shown incredible commitment and a strong belief that stability is the hallmark of a championship franchise. I believe that Kraft follows the same philosophy. That means that Shanahan at least, and possibly Belichick and Tomlin (if he proves capable), too, will have a chance at that record.Also, Shanahan may only have won 1 playoff game since Elway left town, but the Broncos have the 5th-best winning% in the NFL over that span (behind New England, Pittsburgh, Indy, and Philly). They also have the fewest losing seasons, and are the only franchise without a top-10 draft pick during that stretch. It's not like there's a whole lot there to catch up with Shanahan.

It will take a "perfect" career for a WR to come close to what Rice accomplished.
A few factors help Rice Jr.;- as was mentioned rule changes can help a ton. Ratings drop, less contact between DB's/WR's to score points and win fans. Or what about losing all 4 preseason games and lengthening the season? That's a huge advantage to Jr.- advances in sports medicine(detectable and otherwise). Rice had an amaizing run of health but at some point the average player may have a longer career.- expansion. The players pool gets diluted and you have one great WR playing with one great QB for a long stretch to take advantage of a lot of mediocre DB's. We already see a lot of that and I wouldn't gamble against the NFL expanding even more at some point.- history. Bigger. Better. Faster. It's been proven time and time again. Whatever one athlete can do another athlete will come along and eclipse. Someone WILL break Wilt's 100-point game.... but he may not be born yet.

19-0 > 17-0Sorry, it's just a fact.They are both undefeated but the (17-0) gets and asterisk.For those that don't think it deserves an asterisk, if in a strike shortened season a team went 6-0 should they get the same credit the MIA team currently gets? I would think not.
Assuming some other team does go undefeated, why would you go back in history and give Miami and asterisk? A modern day team going undefeated would be more impressive (especially considering the cup cake schedule the Dolphins played in 72) but it doesn't do anything to diminish the accomplishment of the Miami team.

Also, Shanahan may only have won 1 playoff game since Elway left town, but the Broncos have the 5th-best winning% in the NFL over that span (behind New England, Pittsburgh, Indy, and Philly). They also have the fewest losing seasons, and are the only franchise without a top-10 draft pick during that stretch. It's not like there's a whole lot there to catch up with Shanahan.
Sounds an awful lot like Shula to me. There was no single reason Shula "retired" to make room for Jimmy Johnson. Shula was(and probably still is) a great NFL coach.Answer me this... if suddenly Belichick for whatever reason showed interest in DEN don't you think there'd be a LOT of DEN fans clamoring for BB???? As a hypothetical.

Also, Shanahan may only have won 1 playoff game since Elway left town, but the Broncos have the 5th-best winning% in the NFL over that span (behind New England, Pittsburgh, Indy, and Philly). They also have the fewest losing seasons, and are the only franchise without a top-10 draft pick during that stretch. It's not like there's a whole lot there to catch up with Shanahan.
Sounds an awful lot like Shula to me. There was no single reason Shula "retired" to make room for Jimmy Johnson. Shula was(and probably still is) a great NFL coach.Answer me this... if suddenly Belichick for whatever reason showed interest in DEN don't you think there'd be a LOT of DEN fans clamoring for BB???? As a hypothetical.
Fans don't decide who the team hires, ownership does. If Belichick was interested in Denver, then no, I don't think Bowlen would fire Shanahan to hire Belichick. I honestly don't. If Belichick were interested in Pittsburgh last year, I don't think the Rooneys would have fired Cowher for him. And if Shula had coached Denver, then no matter how upset the fans were, I don't think Bowlen would have pushed him out.Pat Bowlen has said many times that Mike Shanahan is the coach of the Denver Broncos for as long as Mike Shanahan wants to be coach of the Denver Broncos. I truly believe that he means it. His actions and his stated beliefs have always fully supported that claim.

Can't talk about unbreakable NFL records without bringing up THE MAN: Slingin' Sammy Baugh. :genuflect: His COMBINATION of feats will absolutely never be equaled: leading the league in passing, punting, and picks (as a DB). I believe his punting average record still stands lo these many years later.

Back on the subject of records, Atlanta's record of at least 42 years without back-to-back winning seasons looks like one that'll stand forever, especially with how they've been extending it. The Cardinals are currently in second place in that regard- they haven't had back-to-back winning seasons since 1983-1984, back when they were in St. Louis, but they'd need to extend that streak to 2026 AT THE LEAST (since Atlanta's streak is still active).

Anyone know if there has ever been a game with a score of 2-0? I'd imagine the odds of that happening again (once?) are slim to none.
Never seen 2-0. Yet, I recall an enjoyable 1970 playoff game between DET and DAL. Cowboys won it 5-0.

And if Shula had coached Denver, then no matter how upset the fans were, I don't think Bowlen would have pushed him out.
Then we simply disagree. I think I'm more pessimistic towards the owners than you are. Honestly I think they'd push their own mother in front of a bus if it meant getting a voter referendum passed for a new stadium. IMO to owners it's all an inflated mobile with a "$" in the middle and the rest just whirling 'round and 'round it. I know a billionaire doesn't really need <X million> more, but there's a reason he became a billionaire in the first place. It doesn't often happen by accident. And that's where the fans do have a voice in who goes and who stays. It's their "$" in the middle of the mobile.

- history. Bigger. Better. Faster. It's been proven time and time again. Whatever one athlete can do another athlete will come along and eclipse. Someone WILL break Wilt's 100-point game.... but he may not be born yet.
I doubt that record will be broken. The talent has been available to do so, but Wilt required a lot of help (from his teammates and the other team) to reach that mark, in addition to his considerable advantage in height during his glory days, which has practically dissapeared since the late 70's.Also, in today's NBA no player will make 60+ FG attempts, which Chamberlain did.

And if Shula had coached Denver, then no matter how upset the fans were, I don't think Bowlen would have pushed him out.
Then we simply disagree. I think I'm more pessimistic towards the owners than you are. Honestly I think they'd push their own mother in front of a bus if it meant getting a voter referendum passed for a new stadium. IMO to owners it's all an inflated mobile with a "$" in the middle and the rest just whirling 'round and 'round it. I know a billionaire doesn't really need <X million> more, but there's a reason he became a billionaire in the first place. It doesn't often happen by accident. And that's where the fans do have a voice in who goes and who stays. It's their "$" in the middle of the mobile.
I'm not saying that Bowlen isn't motivated by money, I'm just saying he's a lot smarter than most owners when it comes to knee-jerk reactions. Over the long run, nothing results in more money than winning, and Bowlen is of the opinion that the single most important characteristic in winning franchises is stability. Kicking Shanahan to the curb might result in more money in the short term, but according to everything Bowlen has said on the matter, he firmly believes that it will result in less winning (and therefore less money) in the long term.

Graham's 10 straight championship games isn't an actual NFL record. The first four came in the All-America Football Conference. Still, 6 straight seems impossible to beat or even match. It's too hard now. In Graham's day all you had to do was win your division and you were in the title game. Buffalo has the record for the Super Bowl era and it's hard to see a team bettering 4 straight SB appearances.

Ernie Nevers' 40-point game was almost broken once. Gale Sayers scored 6 TD's in a game in 1965 (on only 14 touches!). After the game got out of hand Halas benched him and the Bears later got down to the Niners' two-yard-line. Halas refused to put Sayers back in to break the record and somebody else scored. I doubt a current coach makes that same call. The 2-point conversion rule makes the record a tiny bit easier to break now.

Favre's consecutive game streak is breakable as is Harrison's single-season catch mark especially if the league ever goes to a 17-game season. Favre only has the QB record and is several seasons behind Jim Marshall's 270 straight games played.

Unitas' 47 straight games with a TD pass has never been approached (Favre had a 36-game streak), and could be impossible to break because it's too dependent on game situations. If a team gets out to a big early lead thanks to some rushing and defensive/special teams scores, they're not going to put the ball in the air and risk turnovers just to keep a streak alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see Rice's records going if passing continues to be so aided by the rules as is true today. 10 straight championship games? I dont see any player ever doing that... no way at all.
:unsure: That's the one I can't see getting touched. Not in the salary cap/free agency era.

I think more impressive than Landry's tenure is his 20 straight winning seasons. I don't think any team, much less any coach, will ever approach that again.

The 47 game TD pass streak seems like the easist to break, IMO, but if you really get down to it, I suppose just playing 47 straight for a QB is hard enough, and then actually throwing a TD compounds the difficulty. I wonder howmany of Favre or Mannings starts have resulted in a TD pass...

TheGreatest said:
Alot (not all) of the young players coming into the league today care more about money it seems than they do about the game. Rice love of the game, determination to be the best, and durability ae all things that will have to be matched in order to come close to his records.
Thanks, Grandpa.However, career records still get broken, even in this era of unbelievable selfishness where players want their share of the money instead of countless billions going to the owners.

BoltBacker said:
19-0 > 17-0Sorry, it's just a fact.They are both undefeated but the (17-0) gets and asterisk.For those that don't think it deserves an asterisk, if in a strike shortened season a team went 6-0 should they get the same credit the MIA team currently gets? I would think not.
By the way, records simply don't get an asterisk. It's a record, or it's not.The most famous "asterisk" never was one. Maris never had one next to his record. The record books just simply said:"Most home runs, 162 game season: Roger Maris, 61""Most home runs, 154 game season: Babe Ruth, 60"They're not going to go back and put a star next to the record. Just doesn't happen. Ever.

TheGreatest said:
Alot (not all) of the young players coming into the league today care more about money it seems than they do about the game. Rice love of the game, determination to be the best, and durability ae all things that will have to be matched in order to come close to his records.
Thanks, Grandpa.However, career records still get broken, even in this era of unbelievable selfishness where players want their share of the money instead of countless billions going to the owners.
Terrell Owens?? :rolleyes: I never said players shouldn't get paid. I just think playing football should matter most to them. Not how much money they are making. Players should get paid alot if they deserve/earn it, but not before they play a down in the NFL. All these rookies coming in holding out for more money (J. Russell) before they even play a down is ridiculous.

TheGreatest said:
Terrell Owens?? :rolleyes: I never said players shouldn't get paid. I just think playing football should matter most to them. Not how much money they are making. Players should get paid alot if they deserve/earn it, but not before they play a down in the NFL. All these rookies coming in holding out for more money (J. Russell) before they even play a down is ridiculous.
No, they should get paid what the market bears. Economics is lovely.And pointing out TO as an example for the entire league when for every TO, there's 5 LT, Chad Johnson, Tiki Barber types out there is just plain cherry-picking.

TheGreatest said:
Terrell Owens?? :thumbup: I never said players shouldn't get paid. I just think playing football should matter most to them. Not how much money they are making. Players should get paid alot if they deserve/earn it, but not before they play a down in the NFL. All these rookies coming in holding out for more money (J. Russell) before they even play a down is ridiculous.
No, they should get paid what the market bears. Economics is lovely.And pointing out TO as an example for the entire league when for every TO, there's 5 LT, Chad Johnson, Tiki Barber types out there is just plain cherry-picking.
Also, claiming that TO is playing football for the money is laughable. He risked a career-ending injury by rushing back from his broken leg to play in the superbowl while his team doctors were TELLING HIM NOT TO. Let's see, disobeying his employer's recommendations, risking his livelihood, and going above-and-beyond performing an action that wasn't expected of him and which he wouldn't have been blamed if he didn't do. Sure sounds to me like the actions of someone who only cares about the money, alright.

MarshallRob said:
Unitas' 47 straight games with a TD pass has never been approached (Favre had a 36-game streak), and could be impossible to break because it's too dependent on game situations. If a team gets out to a big early lead thanks to some rushing and defensive/special teams scores, they're not going to put the ball in the air and risk turnovers just to keep a streak alive.
I was surprised to see that Peyton's longest has been 27, and that was back in 1998-99. His second longest is only 19, including postseason games. Warner had 26 in a row in 1999-2000, including the 1999 postseason. I'd be interested in Marino's best, but I'm not sure where to find game logs for most of his career (not at pfr). It does seem harder than I thought.One thing I noticed in looking at this is that one problem is the token appearance once a playoff seed is locked up. This has happened to Peyton a few times, so it might prevent him from sustaining a streak long enough to challenge Unitas.

delusional said:
I think John Runyans streak of 160+ games as a offensive linemen wont be broke for a long time
I guess you must mean consecutive starts...? Bruce Matthews holds the record of 296 games played as an offensive lineman. That could easily stand as a record - it is 18 1/2 seasons without missing any games. Anyone know who the closest current player is? I doubt anyone is close.

Grigs Allmoon said:
Chase Stuart said:
Despyzer said:
Here's another good one - 8 INTs passing in one game, set by Jim Hardy in 1950.
Detmer had 7 in a game in '01. Chris Chandler had six in a game three years ago, where he threw just 29 passes. I bet we'll see 8 happen pretty soon. Maybe not the next five years, but the next 10 or 15.
How, in today's game, would a QB not get pulled after 5 or 6? I think even Favre, Manning, Brady would be shown the bench if they did that. I suppose if the game is still winnable those guys wouldn't, but how could it be close at that point?
George Blanda owns lots of positive career records, but one negative one that might be tough to break is 42 interceptions in a season. I think the next nearest is Vinny with 35. With the pressure on owners and coaching staff nowdays, it's hard to envisage a QB still being on the field once they got past 30 or so in a year (though Favre did have 29 a couple of years ago).

Other records...

Bills 4 consecutive Super Bowls

Terrell Owens 20 recs in a game

Marvin Harrison's 143 recs in a season

Gale Gilbert's 5 consecutive appearances in a Super Bowl

Other records...

I would say Graham's 10 straight championship appearances would trump this.

Other records...

I would say Graham's 10 straight championship appearances would trump this.
Maybe, but there was only one post-season game played back then. You played your 12 games and if your team was good (6 teams per conference), you went to the championship game. It's much different now when you throw in 32 teams, wildcards, divisional playoffs, championship games and then finally you reach the Super Bowl. Getting there 5 times in a row for one player is quite an accomplishment.

Other records...Bills 4 consecutive Super BowlsTerrell Owens 20 recs in a gameMarvin Harrison's 143 recs in a seasonGale Gilbert's 5 consecutive appearances in a Super Bowl
I think the 20 receptions in a game will be the easiest one in this entire thread to take down.

Just got done watching this, so I avoided this thread all day.

Surprised Don Hutson's record isn't gettin more love. 8 times leading the league in TD's didn't seem like that much until I found out that the next closest is Emmitt, Jim Brown, and Rice....all with 3.

Now granted more players and teams now make this even harder to break, but to be almost 3x more then those HOFers is as impressive as any record out there IMO.

I don't know why more INTs were thrown back in the day, or maybe it just seems like it to me. Does anyone know?That IMO makes Favre's soon to be held all-time INT record even more astonishing. How long has that record been held?

Since some people are saying that if some team were to have an undefeated season in the 16 game era with salary cap it would be more impressive. However, IIRC the '72 Dolphins were 1st in offense, 1st in defense, and 1st in special teams that season. If any team were to have an undefeated season in the salary cap era, i doubt they could pull it off like the dolphins did.

Since some people are saying that if some team were to have an undefeated season in the 16 game era with salary cap it would be more impressive. However, IIRC the '72 Dolphins were 1st in offense, 1st in defense, and 1st in special teams that season. If any team were to have an undefeated season in the salary cap era, i doubt they could pull it off like the dolphins did.
The Dolphins were 1st in all four categories: yards and scoring, offense and defense.What does 1st in special teams mean?

Didn't Sammy Baugh lead the league in punting, TD passes and INT in the same season or something like that?

I don't know why more INTs were thrown back in the day, or maybe it just seems like it to me. Does anyone know?
It's mostly because DBs were allowed to maul receivers back then. But there were some other factors, including the shape of the ball (made it harder to throw) and the fact that teams ran the ball more often (there just weren't many talented or experienced passers). Also, there was a mentality that INTs were an accepted part of the game, and no one dared to go against the grain.

Manning to Harrison will be tough to break.Favre's consecutive games streak will be nearly impossible to break.
Manning is at 147; he could easily break Favre's consecutive game record. He was a year younger than Favre when they started their respective streaks.Manning to Harrison is definitely going to be tough to break.

- history. Bigger. Better. Faster. It's been proven time and time again. Whatever one athlete can do another athlete will come along and eclipse. Someone WILL break Wilt's 100-point game.... but he may not be born yet.
I disagree with your example, and it makes a point that games change. No one will break Wilt's 100, because there are too many good athletes in basketball and the difference between the best player in the league and everyone else is tiny compared to what it was in Wilt's day. (Cal connection: Darrell Imhoff was one of the guys guarding Wilt for his 100-point game).Wilt's team scored 169 points that game. I'm not going to look up the last time an NBA game went over 150 points, but I think it's been a very long time. Wilt took 63 shots and 32 free throws; do you really think that could happen in today's NBA? Even with Kobe's amazing 81, he only took 46 shots and 20 free throws.

The NBA game has changed, and in today's NBA it's completely implausible that anyone could score 100 points. There are other records which will never be broken because the NFL game has changed; a number of the ones on this top-10 list are of that sort (Graham's championships, Hutson's TDs).

This is on NFLN now, and I think it's a great discussion topic on a Saturday night, when it's too early to hit the sack...10 - 7 Sacks in one game - Derrick Thomas
osi umenyiora has 4 sacks and there are 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.. probably won't happened.. but you never know

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread