What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Yankees vs Indians ALDS Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Afternoon would be just horrible. Every other time the Yanks are in the postseason they play at night. That would definitely be suprising to have day games.

Should the Tribe be down 2-1 on Monday, you gotta figure they'll throw CC on 3 days rest, no?

Then Carmona could come back on full rest for a game 5 if there is one...

Should the Tribe be down 2-1 on Monday, you gotta figure they'll throw CC on 3 days rest, no?Then Carmona could come back on full rest for a game 5 if there is one...
Possibly. IMO...Tribe definitely needs to take Game 1. A loss there would be deflating to say the least.

It appears Byrd will get the ball in Game 4, regardless of the scenario. The Indians would be leery of starting Sabathia on three days' rest, even if they're facing elimination in that game.

"I'm certain that if we faced some type of situation, whether it be finishing off the series or facing elimination, it could be something we consider," pitching coach Carl Willis said. "But we can't put all of it ahead of everyone's health and long-term future. Everything would have to fall into place."

Their ideal playoff scenario didn't fall into place, but, Antonetti's joking aside, the Indians aren't fretting.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Wang isn't a very good road pitcher. And the Tribe are very tough against LHP (Pettitte). That, to me, gives Cleveland a huge advantage in the first two games in the series.

I like the Indians in 4.

Tremendous Upside said:
wadegarrett said:
Tremendous Upside said:
Should the Tribe be down 2-1 on Monday, you gotta figure they'll throw CC on 3 days rest, no?Then Carmona could come back on full rest for a game 5 if there is one...
Possibly. IMO...Tribe definitely needs to take Game 1. A loss there would be deflating to say the least.
Any idea if Sabathia has pitched on 3 days rest before?
Not that I can remember. This is only his 2nd postseason so I doubt it. I guess it may also depend on how many pitches he throws on Thurs.

Workhorse said:
Wang isn't a very good road pitcher. And the Tribe are very tough against LHP (Pettitte). That, to me, gives Cleveland a huge advantage in the first two games in the series. I like the Indians in 4.
Just off the top of my head, I don't think the Tribe hits Pettitte very well. I know he beat us once this year, also.Good thing for Tribe fans, Hafner has hit safely in 9 of 10 games. Five of those nine have been multi-hit. His bat is going to be needed, not the .250 Hafner that we saw alot of this year.

My Yankee bias makes me think Yanks lose game 1 and then take games 2 through 4 for a series victory. My head says they split in NY and Cle wins game 5 at home.

JM4Steelers said:
Pitching matchups announced yet?
Sabathia v. Wang in Game 1.Carmona v. Petitte (I think) in Game 2.Westbrook v. Clemens (probably) in Game 3.Byrd v. Mussina (???) in Game 4.

Workhorse said:
Wang isn't a very good road pitcher. And the Tribe are very tough against LHP (Pettitte). That, to me, gives Cleveland a huge advantage in the first two games in the series. I like the Indians in 4.
Just off the top of my head, I don't think the Tribe hits Pettitte very well. I know he beat us once this year, also.Good thing for Tribe fans, Hafner has hit safely in 9 of 10 games. Five of those nine have been multi-hit. His bat is going to be needed, not the .250 Hafner that we saw alot of this year.
Love seeing Hafner swinging the bat well. Definitely going to need it.

CC will beat Wang game 1, who sucks on the road.

Carmona / Pettitte should be a good duel. This game will decide the series, I think. If the Tribe wins this one, they win the series. If NYY can pull off a split in CLE, then they should have the inside track

Gotta like those first two matchups for the Tribe. They need a sweep at home I would think.
Who knows. If it's really Clemens and Mussina going in Game 3 and 4, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Tribe get to one of them. Then again, Westbrook and Byrd aren't exactly world beaters though Westbrook has been more or less better than average since Aug 1. In any case, it'll be an interesting series since I think the Tribe are the better overall team...I think it's going to come down to whether Borowski blows a game or not.

Gotta like those first two matchups for the Tribe. They need a sweep at home I would think.
Who knows. If it's really Clemens and Mussina going in Game 3 and 4, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Tribe get to one of them. Then again, Westbrook and Byrd aren't exactly world beaters though Westbrook has been more or less better than average since Aug 1. In any case, it'll be an interesting series since I think the Tribe are the better overall team...I think it's going to come down to how many games Borowski blows.
Fixed.Anyway in my opinion Game 1 is the key. If the Yanks come out flat in Game 1 OR if Sabathia just plain dominates them, it'll have the feel of "more of the same" like what happened the last couple of postseasons. They'll get tight, they'll start to press, everyone will try to hit an 8-run home run, and they'll be out in 3 or 4 games. BUT...if they can carry this regular season swagger into the playoffs and beat arguably the best pitcher in the playoffs, it'll really give them a big shot in the arm. If the Yanks take Game 1, I can definitely see them sweeping. Carmona facing a must-win in Game 2 would not be a recipe for success, and if the Yanks come home up 2-0 I'd think it's over.

Who knows. If it's really Clemens and Mussina going in Game 3 and 4, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Tribe get to one of them. Then again, Westbrook and Byrd aren't exactly world beaters though Westbrook has been more or less better than average since Aug 1. In any case, it'll be an interesting series since I think the Tribe are the better overall team...I think it's going to come down to how many games Borowski blows.
Fixed.Anyway in my opinion Game 1 is the key. If the Yanks come out flat in Game 1 OR if Sabathia just plain dominates them, it'll have the feel of "more of the same" like what happened the last couple of postseasons. They'll get tight, they'll start to press, everyone will try to hit an 8-run home run, and they'll be out in 3 or 4 games. BUT...if they can carry this regular season swagger into the playoffs and beat arguably the best pitcher in the playoffs, it'll really give them a big shot in the arm. If the Yanks take Game 1, I can definitely see them sweeping. Carmona facing a must-win in Game 2 would not be a recipe for success, and if the Yanks come home up 2-0 I'd think it's over.
Completely agree. Think Game 1 is MUST win for the Indians. Result will set the tone for the series.

This will be the first time Sabathia has faced the Yankees since 2004. For his career, Sabathia is 1-7 with a 7.13 ERA vs the Yanks.

The Yankees absolutely love hitting at Jacobs Field, and while he has had a Cy Young-type season, there is a lot of pressure on CC to get this win.

I don't think Yankees will be as pressured as the last few years because of the makeup of this rotation. Randy Johnson wasn't made for NY and it really showed in October. This staff is better than the Yankees have had in the last 3 seasons. If Wang can't get it done (he hasn't faced Cleveland this year, either), Pettitte has proven he can be the stopper all season. A split is exactly what they need these first 2 games.

Plus, the Yanks aren't the favorite. According to most people, including Yankees "fans" on this board, they weren't even supposed to be playing this October.

Oh and what's the difference between Yankees Hot Dogs and Mets Hot Dogs?

This will be the first time Sabathia has faced the Yankees since 2004. For his career, Sabathia is 1-7 with a 7.13 ERA vs the Yanks.The Yankees absolutely love hitting at Jacobs Field, and while he has had a Cy Young-type season, there is a lot of pressure on CC to get this win. I don't think Yankees will be as pressured as the last few years because of the makeup of this rotation. Randy Johnson wasn't made for NY and it really showed in October. This staff is better than the Yankees have had in the last 3 seasons. If Wang can't get it done (he hasn't faced Cleveland this year, either), Pettitte has proven he can be the stopper all season. A split is exactly what they need these first 2 games.Plus, the Yanks aren't the favorite. According to most people, including Yankees "fans" on this board, they weren't even supposed to be playing this October. Oh and what's the difference between Yankees Hot Dogs and Mets Hot Dogs?
The Yanks are the favorites to win both the series and the AL...Not that I agree that they should be favored (in either, really), but they are...

This will be the first time Sabathia has faced the Yankees since 2004. For his career, Sabathia is 1-7 with a 7.13 ERA vs the Yanks.

The Yankees absolutely love hitting at Jacobs Field, and while he has had a Cy Young-type season, there is a lot of pressure on CC to get this win.

I don't think Yankees will be as pressured as the last few years because of the makeup of this rotation. Randy Johnson wasn't made for NY and it really showed in October. This staff is better than the Yankees have had in the last 3 seasons. If Wang can't get it done (he hasn't faced Cleveland this year, either), Pettitte has proven he can be the stopper all season. A split is exactly what they need these first 2 games.

Plus, the Yanks aren't the favorite. According to most people, including Yankees "fans" on this board, they weren't even supposed to be playing this October.

The Yanks are the favorites to win both the series and the AL...Not that I agree that they should be favored (in either, really), but they are...
I think they are also the favorites for thishttp://www.protrade.com/content/DisplayArt...a8-5fe7b05af824

I think they are also the favorites for thishttp://www.protrade.com/content/DisplayArt...a8-5fe7b05af824
Yeah, that's pretty relevant there Wilked...

Torre not showing his hand on Game 4 starter yet...says it could be either Moose or Hughes. Persoanlly, if he starts Moose I think he is an idiot

Torre not showing his hand on Game 4 starter yet...says it could be either Moose or Hughes. Persoanlly, if he starts Moose I think he is an idiot
The Game 4 starters for both of these teams is a really fluid situation, IMO...If either team is down 2-1, I;d bet that they would seriously consider coming back with their Game 1 starter (Sabathia/Wang) on 3 days rest, and then the Game 2 starter (Carmona/Petitte) in Game 5, if there is one, on regular rest...

The Game 4 starters for both of these teams is a really fluid situation, IMO...If either team is down 2-1
I am not sure there is another possibility for Game 4 :lmao: (joking...before you take it personally...)
But there ARE 2 possible scenarios...IF the Yankees are down 2-1, I bet they start WangIF the Tribe are down 2-1, I bet they start SabathiaHence the statement that IF either is down 2-1 I would expect them to start their Game 1 starter

Haven't seen too many "experts" giving the Tribe a chance. :popcorn:
I can't see them winning 3 close games (if it comes to that) with Joe Borowski closing. Somehow the Tigers got through with Todd Jones last year, but it's amazing they've come as far as they have with that guy.

Haven't seen too many "experts" giving the Tribe a chance. <_<
I can't see them winning 3 close games (if it comes to that) with Joe Borowski closing. Somehow the Tigers got through with Todd Jones last year, but it's amazing they've come as far as they have with that guy.
JB scares the hell out of me.
Weird #### happens in the baseball playoffs.
:confused:
ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!
:goodposting:

Haven't seen too many "experts" giving the Tribe a chance. :lol:
Eh, who cares. We've watched this team all year and know what they are capable of. This is a darn good baseball team. AL is loaded though. Good teams are gonna lose.Nobody besides maybe 20% of Cleveland gave the Cavs a chance down 0-2 to the Pistons, let alone before the series started. Did I write that backwards? Whatever.GO TRIBE!

Haven't seen too many "experts" giving the Tribe a chance.

:goodposting:
Do you just say this stuff to make you feel better about yourself? ESPN's experts chose Cleveland 11 - 9.http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007...tory?id=3046363
Yes, I feel better about myself saying that.Actually was just relaying what some of these chumps were saying on the radio and TV, specifically Stark, Kurkijan, Rosenthal to name a few. They all picked the Yanks. Which is fine by me. Will be happy to make them suck it when the Indians win. :D

Users who are viewing this thread